Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

James Woods Fan posted:

Is Rise Of The Argonauts worth a rental? I heard it is similar to Conan but with more story. Too bad Conan didn't get a sequel. It didn't light the world on fire but I enjoyed it.

I can't emphasize enough how poorly made this game is. It's very clearly unfinished. There are "villages" you go through where you literally run from one end to the other for like five minutes straight and it's basically an open plane with invisible walls, four houses and no people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it really feels like this game was going to be released for Holiday 2011 come hell or high water.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GUI posted:

Rushed development probably.

Yeah, supposedly the game was almost unplayable about a month or so before release. They were very open about it after the game came out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Also I must get that Arc System Works FotNS fighter, I had no idea that existed. :stare: I love Fist of the North Star, but the games... ehhh.

...and now the theme song is stuck in my head. YOU WA SHOOOCK
Tell me how you go about getting the game. I'm deciding whether I should emulate the MAME rom or go PS2. I have been crushing through the anime series and all I can think about is ATATATATATATTT!!!

Seriously how do you screw up making a FotNS game?!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

the truth posted:

Yeah, supposedly the game was almost unplayable about a month or so before release. They were very open about it after the game came out.

This was true for Uncharted 2 as well. I recall reading an interview where someone from Naughty Dog talked about how stressed they were about demoing Uncharted 2 at Sony's E3 conference, since the game was full of bugs and kept crashing sporadically during rehearsals, and they only just managed to eliminate the bug a day or two before the show.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah OK Uncharted 2 is a lot better, finished the first one today. I had to push through it this weekend or I knew it would just get left for ages. Got up to about chapter 7 in 2 and it's way more enjoyable just in this small chunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Housh posted:

Seriously how do you screw up making a FotNS game?!

At least some of it may be the license. Apparently for the Dynasty Warriors games they ran into the problem where Kenshiro was not allowed to be shown losing. Even if you beat him in a fight they had to show him getting up and walking away casually. So they've probably got some weird restrictions on how they're allowed to depict the characters.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I had the wrong idea about Darksiders... I thought it was just a hack and slash beat em up. I finally got around to playing it after getting it free with psn+ a while back and it's very much reminding me of the 3D Zelda games (the dungeons anyway). I'm only a few hours in so far but digging it. Does the sequel hold up?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ineffiable posted:

And I could do Dark Souls 3 times, but my PC isn't good enough at the moment (1 plat on PS3, 1000/1000 on xbox360)

Bring on Dark Souls II!

If you want another plat on Demons Souls I can send you my Chinese version. I swapped to the NA version thanks to PS+ and I'll never have time to get one plat let alone two.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

ImpAtom posted:

At least some of it may be the license. Apparently for the Dynasty Warriors games they ran into the problem where Kenshiro was not allowed to be shown losing. Even if you beat him in a fight they had to show him getting up and walking away casually. So they've probably got some weird restrictions on how they're allowed to depict the characters.

His brother whips the ever living piss out of him in the anime movie. No walking away there.

Fotns not Dynasty Warriors :)

ganash fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Is it just me, or is Knytt Underground completely unplayable on release PS3 controllers?

I think they fixed it with the dual shocks, but both my release gamepads have alway had issues with the sticks not quite zeroing out. 99% of games design to avoid this (by having a dead zone), but Knytt is like trying to control a pat of butter on a gridle. The inventory is completely unusable to boot.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

McFunkerson posted:

I had the wrong idea about Darksiders... I thought it was just a hack and slash beat em up. I finally got around to playing it after getting it free with psn+ a while back and it's very much reminding me of the 3D Zelda games (the dungeons anyway). I'm only a few hours in so far but digging it. Does the sequel hold up?

The sequel falls a tad short due to the Diablo-style loot dropping and the game starts to get a bit dull once you get to Earth, but it's still a good game. To its credit, Death is a better character than War.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Parkingtigers posted:

If you want another plat on Demons Souls I can send you my Chinese version. I swapped to the NA version thanks to PS+ and I'll never have time to get one plat let alone two.

Only 3 Demon's Souls regions exist (japan, taiwan and chinese all are under one region and Euro and NA make another) I already plat'd all of those.

As for Dark Souls, it has no division by region.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

McFunkerson posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much Zelda after the first hour or so. The first demo was of that first area and gave people completely the wrong impression of the game and that's why they released a better demo later. And honestly, the sequel didn't really do it for me. The loot system was completely pointless. Some areas were completely aggravating. And the graphics look like they came straight from a PS2; not only were the polygon counts low but the textures were really bad as well. It looks terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Is it just me, or is Knytt Underground completely unplayable on release PS3 controllers?

I think they fixed it with the dual shocks, but both my release gamepads have alway had issues with the sticks not quite zeroing out. 99% of games design to avoid this (by having a dead zone), but Knytt is like trying to control a pat of butter on a gridle. The inventory is completely unusable to boot.

That game seems to drive my cat crazy. It causes him to attack the screen to get at the running little person which he's never done for any other game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shalinor posted:

I've got a probably dumb question, as a relatively new PS3 owner: Is the one controller I got with my 500GB PS+ bundle an actual Dual Shock 3, or is there some lesser controller they give out with the system and the DS3 is something you can buy separately?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The lesser controller was called the Sixaxis, and didn't have vibration.

They haven't made them for years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, it was because of a patent dispute that they eventually resolved a few months into the PS3's lifetime.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just got my first plat in years with Sleeping Dogs. The most difficult task was tracking down every item of clothing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

Darksiders takes God of War combat, Zelda puzzles, World of Warcraft aesthetics and mashes them into a game. A lot of people like them but they just really remind me how derivative they are whenever I play them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/151ccs/shadow-warrior-teaser-trailer

Shadow Warrior teaser.

It looks absolutely nothing like Shadow Warrior and seems like they're playing it seriously, goddammit. :ughh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/151ccs/shadow-warrior-teaser-trailer

Shadow Warrior teaser.

It looks absolutely nothing like Shadow Warrior and seems like they're playing it seriously, goddammit. :ughh:
Well, the old one was ridiculously racist, I didn't expect it would ever come back in any form.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the old one was ridiculously racist, I didn't expect it would ever come back in any form.

Punch-Out was racist and that got a modern remake on the Wii for godsakes, I doubt that's a sole cause.

And you can retain goofiness or even humor, not everything needs to be so edgy that you cut yourself opening the box, Lo-Wang was a shirtless dude who fought monsters, dude with the sword there just looks like some generic guy. Its just a teaser but I don't have a good feeling about this.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Punch Out was also iconic and a good game, Shadow Warrior has literally nothing to set it apart other than being racist and set in Asia. Other than that it's just a lovely Build FPS, shittier than Blood or even Redneck Rampage. It needs a complete makeover to appear as a modern game. Honestly, this game shouldn't exist at all. Pick another franchise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I liked caltrops, they were interesting to use in multiplayer because they made the person who stepped on them cry out, revealing their location.

Other than that...uh, yeah. Not a good game at all.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Aphrodite posted:

Yet it's the controller that came with my PS3 :(. I don't like it at all, and playing games on my old PS2 really accentuates the difference. It's super sturdy though because I can't count the amount of times I've dropped the fucker and there haven't been problems.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking back at that game its insane that it even got made. During the entire process of making that game did nobody ever stop and think about how crazy racist it was?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Looking back at that game its insane that it even got made. During the entire process of making that game did nobody ever stop and think about how crazy racist it was?
The average mental age of devs is 17, even in 2013. Tits tits tits, OUYA.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

PlayStation 4 teaser. Kind of ridiculous that we now have teasers for what a console will look like but here we go.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The awesome: Mass Effect coming to LittleBigPlanet tomorrow!

The not so awesome: No Femshep or Tali! :argh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fix posted:

I, too, am being utterly lost to Sleeping Dogs, and burned a bunch of credit on upgrades I look forward to playing once I'm done.

Man this game is good. It's definitely given me a few "HOLY poo poo"-out-loud moments when Jackie shoots Yung in the head, Winston's wedding massacre [which I did not see coming but probably should have], and when you get the mission to drag Dogeyes back to Mrs. Chu's kitchen because holy poo poo, the dude you spent the early parts of the game gunning for is now being force-fed soup made from his former foot soldier and the car chase scenes are incredibly fun. The gunfights are tense and exciting, and the driving is pretty fun too.

This feels to me like the straight-faced counterpart to Saints Row 3's over the top ridiculousness. Between those two games, GTA5 had better be really, really good for me to care at all about it.

I just got officially made a red pole and drat I cannot wait to see where this ends up. I kind of miss seeing sunlight but whatever it'll be there when I'm done

e.

Housh posted:

Tell me how you go about getting the game. I'm deciding whether I should emulate the MAME rom or go PS2. I have been crushing through the anime series and all I can think about is ATATATATATATTT!!!

I'll probably load it into my softmodded PS2, since I don't know if I've got a PC that could emulate that well enough.

I still need to watch the rest of the anime, I've read through pretty much all the manga and the side stories, and it's amazing.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 20, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just wanted to chime in and say that initially I was a little bored by Sleeping Dogs but as I got a little further into it it got its hooks into me in a big way!

Something very fun and visceral about the melee and the guns (when you get them) feel special. (Different, a little odd, but special.)

[edit] ^^^^ haha, synchronized S D praise! ^^^^

Yes, you made a good point I forgot to mention as I was thinking about this last night.

In terms of fun gameplay (but still set in a realistic world) and (at the very least) entertaining story/plot, if GTA5 isn't AT LEAST as good as Sleeping Dogs in those areas, they need to just retire the franchise.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

PlayStation 4 teaser. Kind of ridiculous that we now have teasers for what a console will look like but here we go.

A day before Microsoft's big reveal. They had to release something, so why not the E3 teaser trailer shown before the spotlight focuses on the box on the stage?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Code Jockey posted:

Winston's wedding massacre [which I did not see coming but probably should have]

I saw it coming because I had finished GTA4.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

For what it's worth, I've been plugging away at Sleeping Dogs since December-ish. I'm sure someone could plat it in the week since it was released on PS+, but it's a lot more enjoyable if you take your time and just appreciate the city. It's tied with Just Cause 2 for being my favorite open world game, though they are very different! I used to love Saints Row 3, but I tried playing it last week and didn't enjoy as much as I used to.

My quick impressions of DLC I have

Zodiac Island: Very well done and worth playing. It's four or five missions long.
Triad Enforcer: Not really worth it, but maybe consider it if you need some more Triad exp
Tactical something This one comes with a machine gun and grenade launcher, which is awesome.
Red Envelope: Got this free with PS+ and wouldn't have paid for it because you get ton of money by doing the car delivery missions in the main game.
Retro Triad: Got this free with PS+ and it's not worth any money in my opinion.

Nightmare In North Point: Haven't played this yet.
Year Of The Snake Haven't played this yet.

edit: You get a Just Cause 2 costume w/ revolver/grenade launcher hybrid if you have a Just Cause 2 save file.

the truth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 20, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I find myself really excited/intrigued about The Last of Us. Obviously I expect great things from the campaign, but we're a month (less) from release and (unless I've missed some coverage,) we know nothing about Multiplayer other than "it has it."

(and do we even know that? I thought we did.)

On the one hand, I think Naughty Dog has spent a lot of time tweaking/refining/caring about UC2 and UC3 Multiplayer for us not to assume that a lot of that "research" would flow directly into Multiplayer on TLoU. That said, I think they'd get pretty lambasted if they release multi and it's just Uncharted 3 Multi with a new coat of paint and some fresh characters.

My best guess is it will look (at first blush) an awful lot like UC3 Multi, but be a more quiet, slow-paced, resource/ammo-conserving hunt. Not out and out stealth, but more cover and sneaking to get the drop on others. Unlike Uncharted's spastic run up and do the Gun Dance in eachother's faces style.

Have I missed ANY articles, reveals or even hints or tidbits about multi for TLoU?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't watched a lot of the media for Last of Us, does it have Uncharted style climbing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also, I want to go on record as saying that I think now would be a good time for us to find someone, (a champion, if you will!) who either knows a ton about The Last of Us or cares enough to find out, to create a thread. Not only can we all go geek out about the game over there, but anyone on serious media blackout doesn't have to get over-exposed in this general games thread.

DO WE HAVE A CHAMPION? (Not it!)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Multiplayer is being shown off next week. I think they're doing a press event in London (for whatever reason) about it this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

the truth posted:

Tactical something This one comes with a machine gun and grenade launcher, which is awesome.
Are the guns always available in your house, or is it like the SWAT Pack, where you get guns for special side-missions but it all disappears when you leave the mission?

Incidentally, I do kind of like SWAT pack - the police experience it gives is a bit anemic, but it's nice to have an always there "go shoot dudes / run dudes off the road" mission. Not worth full price, but worth the $2 I paid for it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread