Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
Coast to Coast AM is an overnight radio show, originally hosted by Art Bell (out of KNYE, in Pahrump, NV) and currently hosted by George Noory. It is the most popular show in its time slot, and is heard across the nation and around the world. At its peak, it was syndicated on nearly 500 stations, but has since decreased. The show is typically formatted with a short interview or reportage, followed by open lines, during the first hour. The remaining hours are generally devoted to long-format interviews, with a mix of callers. Entire shows are also regularly devoted to open lines.

Art Bell, in his natural habitat

From the Kingdom of Nye... Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM
Most listeners will agree that Art Bell was the golden age of Coast to Coast, with a rapid and steep decline in quality/entertainment value after his third and final retirement in 2007. Bell had decades of considerable experience with radio (and is an active ham operator). He also starred in a short, self-deprecating aluminum foil commercial that goes exactly as you'd expect.

Art Bell began hosting an overnight time slot in 1993, with the Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995 prompting a considerable shift in the show's tone and subjects. It transitioned from a politically-oriented call-in show to one that approached conspiracies, fringe theories, alternative history, etc., with a call-in format and guest interviews.

During his tenure as host, Art Bell didn't utilize call screeners - an unusual practice in talk radio - which meant all manner of insane, unintelligible, and genuinely creepy individuals made it to the air. Unless the caller was identifiably inebriated, or engaging in particularly salty or abusive language, virtually any topic was allowed for discussion. Friday nights' shows (1am - 5am EST) were almost exclusively reserved for open lines, with periodic designations for special subject lines ('Time Travelers,' 'Extraterrestrial Encounters,' etc.).

In a broader cultural context, Bell's subjects deviated considerably from the 'norm' of talk radio (and popular culture). He invited unusual guests and entertained a variety of subjects that weren't part of mainstream media, ranging from Nazi-occupied hollow Earth theorists to people screeching about the reptilian One World Government. If you want to know the cultural framework for the 9/11 Truthers, Alex Jones' insanity, etc., it was likely laid by Coast to Coast AM: via Bell's show, conspiracy theories, alternative histories, fringe science, and all manner of woo-woo ideas were presented.

Among other subjects regularly discussed, Coast to Coast AM introduced the world to John Titor (time traveler), the Face on Mars, remote viewing, and hollow Earth theory.

Multiple Retirements, Multiple Comebacks, Multiple Wives
Bell's time hosting Coast to Coast AM was marked with a number of unusual events, some of which have achieved near legendary status. Starting in 1998, Bell went through a number of retirements and comebacks, tied to various/sundry off-air events. Mike Siegel took over the show during Bell's hiatuses, with listenership dropping with each of Bell's absences.

In 2006, Art Bell reported that his wife of 15 years unexpectedly passed away. Like any emotionally-normal and rational man, in the throes of grief, he found a 22 year old girlfriend from the Philippines online and was re-married within a few months. Between visa troubles and network difficulties, Bell - who had originally intended to return to the air, routing the radio show through an ISDN line from the Philippines to the United States - retired indefinitely.

Art Bell, picture with his mail order bride new wife.

As of 2007, Bell has retired indefinitely from hosting C2C, citing a desire to spend time with his wife and daughter. Contractually, he was obligated to host 15 shows each year with Premier Radio, but never fulfilled them -- protracted health issues, his new wife (and even newer daughter), technical difficulties -- kept him from the air. In 2012, his non-compete agreement with Premier expired, and he has publicly remarked on the possibility of again getting on the air. On his personal Facebook page, he often laments the direction Coast to Coast has taken after his departure, and publicly airs his scorn for Premier Radio (the current syndicator of Coast to Coast).

Current Iteration, or: What is this Dreck, Anyway?

George Noory. Enough said.

George Noory is the current regular host of C2C. He is, in turns, dull, gullible, and incapable of insight. With Noory at the helm, C2C has transitioned from a heavily paranormal/conspiracy/fringe radio show to something akin to Alex Jones Lite, without the intellectual powerhouse at the helm. Noory is unremarkable in his interview style, often just re-stating guests' opinions, and failing to offer any semblance of critical analysis to the generally paranoiac or delusional ideas presented. Other than the lack of charisma, Noory differentiates himself from Bell by clearly buying into all manner of woo science and spirituality.

Periodically, old staples make an appearance on C2C -- Richard C Hoagland, Ed Dames, etc. George Noory routinely refers to Alex Jones as the "Paul Revere of our time." George Noory also occupies his non-radio time by hosting a dismally poor online television show, entitled Beyond Belief.

Weekend shows are hosted by a number of individuals, on a rotating basis: George Knapp, Ian Punnett, and John B. Wells regularly host weekend and occasional weekday shows.

Recurring Guests

Richard C. Hoagland, vacant stare and all, presents his findings that support ancient civilizations on Mars

Richard C. Hoagland -Psuedoscientific hack, propagator of the 'Face on Mars.' Makes all manner of claims about his professional and education background, with throngs of individuals denying his involvement. George Noory relies on Hoagland as the show's science reporter and analyst.

Linda Moulton Howe - Reports on cryptozoology; a staple of Art Bell's, but rarely appearing on Noory's C2C.

Whitley Strieber - Author of the well-known Communion, a purportedly non-fiction recollection of Strieber's experiences being abducted by aliens.

Maj. Ed Dames - aka 'Major Head Games" - participent in the Army's remote viewing program. Appeared regularly with Art Bell to give ridiculous predictions, usually with doomsday associations. He also hocks online courses to learn how to remote view the lottery, sports betting, etc. Almost never accurate in his 'remote viewing,' and notorious for hyping up a 'killshot' that's been imminent for over a decade.

Peter Davenport - National UFO Reporting Center major domo and frequent guest on Coast to Coast, where he talks about the current state of unknown aircraft in the skies.

Iconic Shows:
A variety of calls and events have added to the Coast to Coast mythos, and have gone down in C2C infamy.

Ghost to Ghost AM (Full Archives) -- Halloween show, during which callers recount ghostly encounters. Any of the archives are worth a listen.
New Year's Eve -- The show is devoted to compiling callers' predictions about the coming year. Additionally, the prior years' predictions are evaluated for accuracy.
Pilot Allegedly Flies into Area 51 while on the air with Art Bell -- generally regarded as the most (in)famous call in C2C history
Mel's Hole -- "Mel Waters," a guest, recounts a bottomless pit he found in Washington state and its surrounding weirdness.
Area 51 Employees Line -- contains the frantic call from a supposed A51 employee, who becomes increasingly agitated over the course of a few minutes. (A year or so later, the same guy called back and claimed it was a hoax)
Interview with "Victor," claimed Area 51/S-4 Employee/Alien Wrangler -- Bell interviews a fellow who claims to be responsible for the release of a short video of an alien

Where to Listen:
Coast to Coast AM's Official Affiliate List -- Note: if a station is within a couple hundred miles, and is 25k or higher, you can likely pick it up with a radio at night.
A number of local and national stations offer free streaming of their broadcasts, useful for listening live. I rely on KLBJ out of Austin, TX.
The iPhone/Android application TuneIn also provides a great resource for free online/portable stations.
Fine Art Stream is a 24/7 online stream (alson available via TuneIn) of Art Bell era Coast to Coast. (Note: their Facebook page is fairly active and the mods are awesome about honoring requests)
U7Radio is another 24/7 online stream of Art Bell's Coast to Coast.

The current schedule is:
George Noory - Weekdays
George Knapp - 3rd and 4th Sunday of each month
Ian Punnett - 2nd Sunday of each month
John B. Wells - Saturdays

CCrane AM/FM Shortwave Radio -- often plugged by Bell and Noory, these radios are absolutely superb. (I have one, and it's really the best thing ever.)

If you have any additional shows to add, subjects, or commentary, post or PM me and I'll add it in!

leahlionheart fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
(Placeholder for any additional information/shows/whatever).

ANMAN
May 24, 2007
ehhh...meh
This was a fantastic show for a road trip late at night. You're kinda sleepy, there's nobody around, it's pitch black, and your imagination runs wild with Art Bell at the wheel. Given the time of night a lot of truckers would call in and they're often interesting and funny to listen to.

Art and George would always take people at their word no matter how hosed and crazy sounding it was (aside from the stuff any host would hit the dump button on like racism, bad language, drunks, etc). The only real crack down on the bullcrap that I remembered in my listening years was from the non-existent aftermath of the Zeta-talk predictions/prophecy that hogged up soooo much airtime with speaking in tongues and translating it.

I like to remember Art trying global-conscience experiments where he would ask the radio audience to perform a "good thought" in mass to whom or whatever problem there was in the world and try to observe the results.

I remember hearing some of Mel's hole call as it happened. IIRC in the show he estimated he must have lowered thousands of feet of rope into the hole in hopes to find a bottom...only to be countered with the thought that if the rope was truly hanging from the top, all of the rope combined would weigh hundreds of pounds. I could just imagine a huge pile of rope at the bottom of a 20 foot hole along side his broken dreams. Though I should talk...I live near a 1 acre state park that has a 4 foot hole in the top and inside is a ridiculously large cave system that has yet to be fully mapped. I bet it's full of rods, USO's, shadow people, and General Jamison.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I started listening to the show at the tail-end of Art Bell's run, and I have to say that I miss him. George Noory just doesn't seem to right attitude, I mean, the show seems to have turned into the radio equivalent of the SyFy channel. Out of all the hosts, I have to go with Ian. I wish he had become the replacement host, as was originally intended.

Edit: I still think it's interesting that Ian is the most skeptical of their hosts, and he's the one who went through the Episcopalian seminary.

Shaddak fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 19, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only heard of Coast to Coast a few years ago, but for some reason, it made me extremely nostalgic for the late nineties. My friends and I would sometimes get in my friend's dad's tent trailer, play cards, and play AM radio on an old boom box. We didn't listen to Coast to Coast, but if we had known of it, I think we would have.

Here's a link to all the Art Bell Ghost to Ghost eps, by the way:

http://www.reallyweirdstuff.com/halloween-ghosttoghostradioshows.htm

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Coast to Coast is very much to be listened to driving after dark. I group it with old Loveline and old This American Life as a quintessential interesting listening. Shows like Coast to Coast can be enjoyed on two levels. The actual entertainment value of the callers/content AND also the overall '90s' aesthetics which is addictive and can really draw you in. Listening to Art Bell draws a (false) sense of nostalgia up inside me. Weird huh.

I think Art Bell is best because he keeps the show on that narrow line of "Almost believable". Other hosts just go too far and shoot their loads. Bell walks dat line.
EDIT:

ANMAN posted:

This was a fantastic show for a road trip late at night. You're kinda sleepy, there's nobody around, it's pitch black, and your imagination runs wild with Art Bell at the wheel. Given the time of night a lot of truckers would call in and they're often interesting and funny to listen to.
Yes! Yes yes! This is exactly what makes CtC so sweet.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 19, 2013

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
There is a glaring omission from your information regarding the former and greatest host, Art Bell.

What are you tying to keep under wraps OP? This information is out there, how did you think you could just cover it up, what is your hidden agenda?

My dad and I would always listen to Coast to Coast in the car late at night, or while camping. I have fond memories of people calling about their possessed toasters that kept setting pop-tarts on fire. An "Iraqi General" that transported a crashed UFO to the USA. And the many sad, crazy, old people that thought they were being watched through their TVs. I was so sad that Art really finally retired, I could never get behind George.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I used to work midnight security. Sitting out in a dark parking lot with only my car radio for company.

Coast 2 Coast and Loveline were constant companions. I miss Art as well.

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
So does Ian still host any shows? I had heard he had stopped entirely. After Art left for good Ian's shows seemed to be the only ones that had a good dose of intelligence and skepticism mixed in. He made the guests accountable for their bullshit once in a while; which was always great to hear.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Thanks for that ghost to ghost archive. It was always the best part of the show.

I kept listening after Art left but it was never the same. Who is the guy with the deep voice now?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I have a bunch of great stuff archived away, all of which I downloaded from Anomalies Audio Archive when it was still up and running with the blessing of C2CAM. About 3 gigs worth, which is all that remains after my old external hard drive decided to poo poo itself. My complete archive of JC's calls, catalogued in chronological order and labeled for subject matter? Gone forever. But, I still have all of Cook & McBeath's EVP sessions, Montauk, HAARP with Nick Begich (the OG), the Philadelphia Experiment, Mel's Hole, Madman Marcum, tons of Roswell goodness, the entire episode of the famous Area 51 employee call-in show, and a bunch of other baller poo poo.

So is it cool, like, legally to share this stuff somehow? I'm happy to do it if it is, but I don't need to borrow trouble for the sake of sharing the weird rear end musings of some chain-smoking, gun-toting hermit.

Quinoa posted:

So does Ian still host any shows? I had heard he had stopped entirely. After Art left for good Ian's shows seemed to be the only ones that had a good dose of intelligence and skepticism mixed in. He made the guests accountable for their bullshit once in a while; which was always great to hear.

Ian was the best of the post-Art crop, but instead we get to hear Noory's head migrate further and further up his own rear end every night. George managed to boil down all of Art's worst traits into a humorless, stupid, boring old goat of a puppet head. He's kind of interesting when he's throwing a ranting sissy little hissy fit over something that's got him spooked, like when someone supposedly sent Robert the Haunted Doll to his studio. Beyond that, he's pretty dull and borderline useless.

I mean, as big a fan as I was, Art was by no means perfect. His ability to be a self-promiting shill for his stupid side projects is surpassed only by Noory and perhaps Kevin Smith. And if you've heard one three hour stretch of programming devoted to talking to mountain folk about Ruby Ridge and Clinton taking away his precious guns in the nineties, you've heard it a hundred times. But he was also funny and charming when he needed to be. He'd invest himself in a topic without becoming some kind of slack-jawed jackass.
He'd play around with a premise and have fun with the callers. He was downright hilarious in the aforementioned JC calls, especially when he'd do his stupid Satan voice. I couldn't listen to him every night, but if he had something or someone on the program that interested me, he was a pretty rare talent.

Ian's a pretty cool guy to. He ran a good interview, has a great sense of humor, would talk about sci-fi and comic books from time to time, and, as you said, wasn't afraid to give someone a verbal smack on the nose if their bullshit got too far out of hand. The fact that he is, if I'm remembering correctly, a deacon also gave him a unique perspective on things.

If I wasn't clear before, I hate George Noory.

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho

Goddamn Hippy posted:

Who is the guy with the deep voice now?

That's John B. Wells!
I've edited the OP to reflect the current show schedule:
George Knapp - 3rd and 4th Sunday of each month
Ian Punnett - 2nd Sunday of each month
John B. Wells - Saturdays

Also, apparently George Noory hosts an online television show entitled Beyond Belief.

I can't believe I forgot the Pizza Punch. Bell really shilled all manner of weird products (he was also the first show I heard that touted buying gold, at the shockingly low price of $300/ounce, in advance of the coming global economic meltdown). Another shameless plug, but Fine Art Stream is great for old shows.

leahlionheart fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 21, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't listened to much C2C as most of you seem to have, but Noory is just as bland as you say. He just believes in everything and agrees with everyone and then there are five minutes of silver investment commercials and boner pills. You could replace him with one of those glass drinky bird things.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Quinoa posted:

He hasn't stopped entirely, but it's only once a month, or so. Something to do with his tinnitus, I think.

As for calling people on their BS, the best times are when someone misquotes (or misrepresents) something from the bible. Ian will kind of stop, and say something to the effect of "Yeah, that's actually not what that says."

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
Thanks everyone!
I gave up on the show due to my hatred of George Noory as well. I guess if Ian is still hanging in there I'll try to at least catch his shows.
Him being a deacon is one of the best things and made me question my religious choices. He really seems to know his stuff and and has a very relatable way of approaching the subject without the holier than thou attitude that I've heard so much of from others.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I went on to the fine art bell stream a couple of times and had the misfortune of catching two Libertarian talking points episodes. It was hilarious how clueless the presidential candidate was in that interview.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Boy was this show great back in the day. I started listening right around the time that Jonathan Reed was going on about murdering the alien in the woods. I remember the sound he played of it screaming being the creepiest thing to eleven-year-old me. I signed up for Streamlink in 2005 after getting a second-shift job; three hours of Art Bell was perfect for passing the evenings.

Sadly, it has indeed gone downhill as of late. I try listening from time to time, and even the callers just want to rant about the same things Alex Jones beats his drum about. My old local affiliate, KROC AM, dropped the show a year or two ago. Just seems like it's on its way out, sadly.

Didn't Noory say he was going to be gone after December 2012 at one point? Or did he just promise to stick around until at least then?

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
Thank you op. Thank you very much for this. I had heard of Coast to Coast from a friend of mine, who, during a break in streaming games, threw some of these on the stream as filler. I loved listening to the crazies that get on there. However the dude never would give out a link so that I could listen to the rest.

I still think my favorite is the guy who thinks that dinosaurs live in the middle of the Earth, and are planning to take over the world.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I remember a show where a woman believed she had witches or something in the woods behind her house, and her cats kept getting mutilated. And the smiley face killers theory.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I've not listened to C2C in some time, but the New Year's prediction shows were always my favorite.

During the 2007 New Year's Eve show, several goons made it through to Art and delivered their predictions for 2008. I uploaded some of the calls to YouTube. Apologies, but I forget their usernames. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG4nea0X6s

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

poo poo, Fine Art Stream was taken down. :smith:

Any other places I can listen to the shows as easily in my iPhone (like I did with TuneIn, in this case)?

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

VisAbsoluta posted:

poo poo, Fine Art Stream was taken down. :smith:

Any other places I can listen to the shows as easily in my iPhone (like I did with TuneIn, in this case)?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrC2CAM

I have no idea how this guy keeps his youtube account going but it's been around forever and it's updated daily.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is there a good archive of the 90's episodes? I've always loved Coast to Coast ever since I was a kid with a love of aliens, but I haven't heard them all (he started broadcasting before I was born :v:). I need to hit my weekly quota of :tinfoil:.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 22, 2013

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Smoking Crow posted:

Is there a good archive of the 90's episodes? I've always loved Coast to Coast ever since I was a kid with a love of aliens, but I haven't heard them all (he started broadcasting before I was born :v:). I need to hit my weekly quota of :tinfoil:.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreatClassicShows

Has a pretty big selection, they really are better then the current show. You can just search youtube for "Coast to Coast" / "Art Bell" ect and filter the search for longer then 20 minutes and you will find hundreds of videos.

These days I check the coast2coast website every couple weeks and I usually only find 1 show in like 5 or 10 that actually sounds like the right kind of :tinfoil:

I want to hear crazy people tell stories but if you let crazy people talk unchecked like George Noory does it just devolves into a nut ranting about channeling healing energies for 3 hours.

Sir Liquid Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 24, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yeah, my problem is that I hate Ancient Astronaut Theories, so that kinda ruins the new show for me.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Can someone explain the alleged prank that's been going on? Last night during open lines some guy called in originally yammering about global warming but then mentioned something about Noory lying about not knowing people broke into a house and stole millions of dollars from a movie producer? I'm confused as poo poo.

Oh, and FYI, Ian is gone. Due to tinnitus he can't do the show anymore.

Gishman
Jun 14, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I haven't listened to much C2C as most of you seem to have, but Noory is just as bland as you say. He just believes in everything and agrees with everyone and then there are five minutes of silver investment commercials and boner pills. You could replace him with one of those glass drinky bird things.

This is pretty accurate with certain guests. Noory was speaking at a UFO conference I was at and told the story about a time he had Hoagland on. Apparently once he starts Hoagland keeps going on forever. Norry knew this and asked him a question and then left the studio in St. Louis and went to the pharmacy down the street to refill a prescription. He came back and realized he locked himself out of the studio. He called an intern and got back in. Hoagland finished talking and heard a few seconds of silence figured out that George wasn't there and said "Your listening to Coast to Coast, let's take a break" and the producer took it from there.

Gishman
Jun 14, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

This is pretty accurate with certain guests. Noory was speaking at a UFO conference I was at and told the story about a time he had Hoagland on. Apparently once he starts Hoagland keeps going on forever. Norry knew this and asked him a question and then left the studio in St. Louis and went to the pharmacy down the street to refill a prescription. He came back and realized he locked himself out of the studio. He called an intern and got back in. Hoagland finished talking and heard a few seconds of silence figured out that George wasn't there and said "Your listening to Coast to Coast, let's take a break" and the producer took it from there.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Gishman posted:

This is pretty accurate with certain guests. Noory was speaking at a UFO conference I was at and told the story about a time he had Hoagland on. Apparently once he starts Hoagland keeps going on forever. Norry knew this and asked him a question and then left the studio in St. Louis and went to the pharmacy down the street to refill a prescription.

I don't think Noory is a good host, but this makes me like him a hell of a lot more.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Punch Card posted:

I don't think Noory is a good host, but this makes me like him a hell of a lot more.

I hadn't heard that story, but I have to agree. Realizing that he's probably not even paying attention when the guests ramble does take some of the sting off.

Plant Kingdom
Mar 12, 2007
I just want to say that during the Art Bell era, Whitley Strieber got so much airtime it just... I don't even know what I'm trying to say in terms of putting it into a strings of words. Just... god drat. Whitley Strieber.... Whitley Strieber.... Whitley Strieber....

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there any forums which feel kinda like this show during the Art Bell years? This is a weird request, but I have to stay in bed a lot for the next days and for some reason I really enjoy listening/reading strange but not "batshit insane Alex Jones 911 was an inside job" people talking about paranormal stuff.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VisAbsoluta posted:

Are there any forums which feel kinda like this show during the Art Bell years? This is a weird request, but I have to stay in bed a lot for the next days and for some reason I really enjoy listening/reading strange but not "batshit insane Alex Jones 911 was an inside job" people talking about paranormal stuff.

I would just recommend listening to the old episodes. There's nothing like Art Bell left :(

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

I check out Above Top Secret from time to time. Avoid the political forums and you should be good. This TuneIn station plays old Art Bell shows and seems to be up reliably lately. I also found Inception Radio on TuneIn. They replay shows from their different hosts during the week. None really match Art Bell but some are ok. Some are completely ridiculous too but that's the nature of it I guess.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Anyone looking for older Art Bell C2C can also find stuff on archive.org

For a collection of shows and segments: http://archive.org/details/ArtBell-CoastToCoastAmClassicShows

Individual shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22The+Divine+Eye%22

bartok
May 10, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

Anyone looking for older Art Bell C2C can also find stuff on archive.org

For a collection of shows and segments: http://archive.org/details/ArtBell-CoastToCoastAmClassicShows

Individual shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22The+Divine+Eye%22

Any recommendations? When I use to work night shift at a dog kennel I would listen to the show when I got bored with the classic rock station. I was lucky enough to start listening a year before Art Bell retired.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ian is on tonight! Hell Yeah!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bartok posted:

Any recommendations? When I use to work night shift at a dog kennel I would listen to the show when I got bored with the classic rock station. I was lucky enough to start listening a year before Art Bell retired.

On the classic shows page, near the bottom of the list is a show on the Philadelphia Experiment with Al Bielik. Fascinating story. I also like the HAARP stuff with Nick Begich. There're a few interviews with Terrance McKenna on there too, and they're decent enough if you enjoy hearing people yak about how great mushrooms are. He had a huge influence on Bill Hicks, and he's a pretty interesting guy, though I really have to be in the mood for him.

There are a lot of complete shows on the other page having to do with Area 51, Men in Black, etc., and they're all fun. There's also a JFK assassination megashow on there that goes into all the oddball multiple Oswald theories and whatnot. I always liked the JFK conspiracy shows.

"Mel's Hole" is on one of those pages, and that is an A++ story. It is such a spectacular line of horse poo poo, and one of the best running narratives in the show's history.

There are a couple of Father Malachi Martin shows up on the classics page. They taught me a few cool things about the dumb religion I was raised with (I had no idea there was a distinction between Lucifer and Satan), they can be pretty chilling if you let yourself buy into it, and Father Martin is a fairly chill guy with a very soothing voice and cadence. If you're a Phil Hendrie fan, he seems to be what Phil based his Father James McQuarters character on.

There's a WACKY 911 CALLS!!! show on there, and those are usually death, but I think that particular show has the man calling 911 in a panic due to belly button lint, which leads to Art waxing philosophically about "a man, for the first time in his life, encountering his own navel". I don't know why, but that one always stuck out in my head. I'd say give it a listen, because a lot of people really enjoy those shows.

They're not on those pages, but if you can find any "Ghost to Ghost" shows, those involve people calling in with their own ghost stories. A lot of duds to be had there, but they can be good, spooky fun (e: on further inspection, the entire library is available for download in the op). My own personal favorites are the EVP shows with Cook and McBeath. I think the whole ghost phenomena is a load of rubbish, but something about those send shivers right up my spine.

Finally, my favorite single episode is the Area 51 employee call-in show. It's an interesting show throughout, and it ends with probably the single most infamous moment in C2C history. Try to find the whole show if you can, but if you want to cut right to the chase, the moment in question can be heard right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HjonGohAho

Happy listening.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
So did anything come of that thing on Art Bell's webpage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I'm halfway through the first Malachi Martin episode (10-18-96) and I got to say I'm kind of disappointed. I was hoping to hear more about metaphysics and exorcisms, but it just kind of sounds like an old man hating how the worlds gone to poo poo (in his opinion).

Man for someone I've heard mentioned a lot during my various phases of listening to C2C it kind of sucks. Are any of his other episodes better?

Also the Lionel Fanthorpe episodes are generally great since he's a rather good storyteller.

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 22, 2013

• Locked thread