Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Ursine Asylum posted:

If the OotS lost any more characters they'd probably pull in backup characters from somewhere-- O-Chul has been mentioned before (and seems slightly more likely now that Durkon is gone), and I could easily see Tarquin being willing to join the Order long enough to stop Xykon-- he's certainly pragmatic enough to throw in his lot with them at the drop of a hat if it came down to "The world is going to end".

Of course, given the whole Malack thing, Roy being willing to let Tarquin join is another can of worms entirely.

The thought crossed my mind that if Belkar gets knocked off soon (prior to the last story arch), O-Chul might take his place as a member of the party once they meet up in the dwarf lands.

And that would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Actually, the time-travel thing would be pretty neat. (Sadly, it goes against "He shouldn't invest in his 401K".)

No it doesn't. If he invested in his 401(k) now, he wouldn't be able to collect it in the past.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Sefer posted:

No it doesn't. If he invested in his 401(k) now, he wouldn't be able to collect it in the past.

But if he's going to live a long time, and then travel back to die, he'd still get some use out of it.

(I don't think it's likely either, but that aspect's not a reason why.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Penis Ouija posted:

But if he's going to live a long time, and then travel back to die, he'd still get some use out of it.

(I don't think it's likely either, but that aspect's not a reason why.)

He couldn't do that; last breath ever, before the end of the year, or however it went. So the above thing is still valid. Also not going to happen, but for story and drama reasons rather than the one you listed.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

We already know that this is also V's Happy Ending. In panel #19 we can clearly see V reconciling with a member of the Draketooth clan after they were all resurrected, and none of the other party members know about V's little genocide mishap. :colbert:

Are you sure about that? I recognise V in that panel, but even zoomed in, it's hard to gather what the other entity is.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Kaebora posted:

Plus, Belkar still has to save Hinjo's life again. He's not going to die in the pyramid unless Hinjo is somehow teleported there.

In Don't Split the Party (page 665b, for those curious. It's a bonus comic), there's a flashback panel with Shojo and the blind seer, who says to him that she "sees [Belkar] saving your nephew's life. Twice." So Belkar still has one more life-saving act in him before he kicks the bucket.

That being said, I'm expecting Mr. Scruffy and Belkar to save the party and break them free of this illusion before becoming incapacitated (by Vampiric Durkon, perhaps?) right before a giant battle for Draketooth's gate.

If Belkar dies stopping Team Evil from using the Gate to destroy all of existence, he could die in the pyramid while still saving Hinjo's life.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ponsonby Britt posted:

If Belkar dies stopping Team Evil from using the Gate to destroy all of existence, he could die in the pyramid while still saving Hinjo's life.
I don't own DStP so I haven't read that bonus strip, but Shojo's blind seer does not appear to be quite as much of a dick as the Oracle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ChaosSamusX posted:

Are you sure about that? I recognise V in that panel, but even zoomed in, it's hard to gather what the other entity is.

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but it's someone with orange hair and blue and purple clothes. I don't think we've met any other characters with that color scheme.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
V is mostly background/neutral , as I imagine most/all of the party hardly knows anything about V.
If V was trapped in this illusion too, there would be segments of xir breaking free of the hold on V's soul, reuniting with xir's partner, and probably having V's master dumping tons of ego-inflating words.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

He couldn't do that; last breath ever, before the end of the year, or however it went. So the above thing is still valid. Also not going to happen, but for story and drama reasons rather than the one you listed.

Time travel would mean his last breath doesn't have to be after all the rest, at least from his viewpoint. But yes, it's silly and would make for a bad, bad story.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Kajeesus posted:

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but it's someone with orange hair and blue and purple clothes. I don't think we've met any other characters with that color scheme.

Oh, I thought you guys were just kidding about seeing something in that panel.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was Roy, actually. The color filter makes his head look orangish, and he's wearing his usual blue.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

my dad posted:

O-Chul may join, but Tarquin? No. Can you think of a heroic party that accepted a villainous overlord of an evil empire as its member?

Actually quite comparable: taking in a villainous overlord of an evil empire as a party member (despite them having bad history with other people in the party, even!) because there is something even worse they can help you deal with.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I think teaming up with a bad guy to stop a bigger bad guy is a fairly common trope really.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Get Real

Well, that's Elan, Roy and Haley out of the fantasy world. My guess is next we see what Belkar's been seeing and that'll be something that made this fantasy trip worthwhile.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Well, this little side trip didn't last as long as I expected it to, and I'm glad. It will be interesting though to see if Elan's revelations remain in his real life.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
I am actually also curious what Belkar has experienced. Would be amusing if he went to his appropriate afterlife in the illusion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, Roy seems to be having more trouble shrugging that off than Haley and Elan. Wonder if there's anything behind that.

And yeah, I'm also curious as to what's up with Belkar. He's still standing there, so...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The point that most sticks out to me is that, apparently, they experienced the illusion in real time. Meaning that from their perspective they spent several months, at least, caught up in an illusion.

(Incidentally, this plot reminds me of a Bronze Age Superman story, For The Man Who Has Everything. It's really good, I recommend you give it a read if you haven't already.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mikl posted:

The point that most sticks out to me is that, apparently, they experienced the illusion in real time. Meaning that from their perspective they spent several months, at least, caught up in an illusion.

(Incidentally, this plot reminds me of a Bronze Age Superman story, For The Man Who Has Everything. It's really good, I recommend you give it a read if you haven't already.)

Nah, there'll just have been some Inception style time distortion. It's a dream. Time passes differently in dreams and events get cut out (do you remember how we got here? What did we have for breakfast? etc)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

nimby posted:

Get Real

Well, that's Elan, Roy and Haley out of the fantasy world. My guess is next we see what Belkar's been seeing and that'll be something that made this fantasy trip worthwhile.

I think we just saw what was worthwhile. That was fantastic character development for Elan and I rescind my previous complaint about the fantasy section possibly dragging on.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, Roy seems to be having more trouble shrugging that off than Haley and Elan. Wonder if there's anything behind that.

I think it's just that Roy truly believes he will ultimately succeed and get his just rewards, while Haley never expects anything good to happen to her.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
^^^^ Haley is just more likely than Roy to credit Elan with figuring things out by himself

Alchenar posted:

Nah, there'll just have been some Inception style time distortion. It's a dream. Time passes differently in dreams and events get cut out (do you remember how we got here? What did we have for breakfast? etc)
Yeah, they'd have died of dehydration or starvation if it had taken place in real time.

Also, on re-reading I noticed that Xykon's final word was Roy's first name. Heh.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I wonder if this is going to have fallout like that DS9 episode with Miles being in jail for 20 years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's not saying real time, he's saying it looks like their minds experienced all the months despite only a few minutes or hours passing in the real world.

Which isn't necessarily true, the other guy's inception simile above seems pretty apt.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dreams happen in the span of about five minutes, even if you can have an entire lifetime's worth of things happen in them.

Same deal, I bet.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
It'd be pretty lovely if Belkar died while they were all tranced.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, if I'm going to cop to my wins, I've gotta do so when I was wrong. This really was some kind of Epic communal fantasy, not just in Roy's head the way I thought. And I do appreciate that it was Elan who got them out of it. Nice touch, that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah, I was definitely wrong about the illusion just being Roy. I think most people expected Elan to break them out of the illusion if it was shared, but goddamn if I (at least) didn't expect Elan to drop the loving wisdom bomb on himself like he did in the process. drat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, I was right about it being a communal fantasy, and about Roy still not trusting Belkar about Durkon's death, but I was certain that Belkar would be the one who rescues them. Now that Elan has finally realized deep down inside that his father is completely irredeemable, I'm pretty sure Taquin won't be joining the party.

Still, I wonder, how much confusion will come from Belkar's exclusion from their illusion? His seclusion in his own delusion might cause the preclusion of a peaceful conclusion... Rich is giving us an allusion infusion.

Is Belkar facing his own doom - repercussions of evil? That halfling's life is worth less than a quarter now.

I am really, really sorry for this.

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 20, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

He's still standing in the penultimate panel - I think he's fine. 'Fine' being a relative term here.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Dreams happen in the span of about five minutes, even if you can have an entire lifetime's worth of things happen in them.

Same deal, I bet.
I once dreamed of a civilization's rise and fall in a few hours of sleep.

jng2058 posted:

Okay, if I'm going to cop to my wins, I've gotta do so when I was wrong. This really was some kind of Epic communal fantasy, not just in Roy's head the way I thought. And I do appreciate that it was Elan who got them out of it. Nice touch, that.
Same here. Though now I'm curious both as to what Belkar's dream is and, if it's different from the other three's, why he wasn't affected together.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

NihilCredo posted:

Same here. Though now I'm curious both as to what Belkar's dream is and, if it's different from the other three's, why he wasn't affected together.

Alignment?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

my dad posted:

Now that Elan has finally realized deep down inside that his father is completely irredeemable, I'm pretty sure Taquin won't be joining the party.

I actually wonder if it won't make it more likely (from a story standpoint) now. Before, it would have been Roy and Haley knowing that Tarquin would betray them and Elan still hoping that Tarquin can heel-face-turn. Now that Elan's come to grips with the idea that his father is irredeemable, his next character hurdle is going to be coming to grips with the idea of grey morality and compromising for the greater good, and I could easily see Tarquin joining the OotS being the trigger for that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

run DNC posted:

Alignment?

In that case I would have expected the illusionist dude to have programmed a "gently caress Lawful" rule more than a "gently caress Good / gently caress Evil" rule.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The answer is obviously that Belkar made the will save.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

It's gonna be great when the real Xykon shows up and they just shrug it off as another illusion.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

NihilCredo posted:

In that case I would have expected the illusionist dude to have programmed a "gently caress Lawful" rule more than a "gently caress Good / gently caress Evil" rule.

I think it's more that the ultimate happiness for good and evil are simply not compatible enough to put them into a shared illusion. I.e. in Belkar's case it could simply be him on top a pile of copses of everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Belkar is in another illusion, I wonder if he can't break free. Elan broke them out in their shared one.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Well, good thing I don't gamble, or I'd have lost all my money. I was so sure this was Elan's curtain call. Still, this was some good character development for him, and frankly, I'm glad I was wrong. Er...does he still have Oracle Immunity after all this, do you think? After all, this clearly wasn't an actual ending, but then again...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Isn't there an old wives' tale about dying in your dreams? On the one hand, he is still standing up, but on the other hand, we can't see his eyes. Would it even be possible for him to be dead yet still standing up?

ETA: Undeath aside.

TheAceOfLungs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Belkar is trying to pour healing potions down V's throat after Roy essentially disemboweled him/her thanks to the Xykon illusion.