Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Heavy Gear Assault just launched its Kickstarter. I'm actually thinking about pledging (this would make it my... fourth? Third? Can't remember) because the MekTek folks have been pretty great about fixing up MechWarrior 4. The game is F2P so getting people to pledge seems like an uphill battle to me but then again F2P games have succeeded in the past on Kickstarter so I don't know what I'm talking about I guess.

edit: wow as I keep reading the page they've got some real people on that team. A guy who worked on Heavy Gear II, the composer for MW2/MW2 Mercs (yesssss), and the "director" of MW2 Mercs (whatever that means). So that sounds cool. I'm not sure having a $10 million stretch goal is really worth it but whatever.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Heavy Gear Assault just launched its Kickstarter. I'm actually thinking about pledging (this would make it my... fourth? Third? Can't remember) because the MekTek folks have been pretty great about fixing up MechWarrior 4. The game is F2P so getting people to pledge seems like an uphill battle to me but then again F2P games have succeeded in the past on Kickstarter so I don't know what I'm talking about I guess.

edit: wow as I keep reading the page they've got some real people on that team. A guy who worked on Heavy Gear II, the composer for MW2/MW2 Mercs (yesssss), and the "director" of MW2 Mercs (whatever that means). So that sounds cool. I'm not sure having a $10 million stretch goal is really worth it but whatever.
Wondered when this would show up.

StompyBot also owns the trademark to the Freespace franchise (and possibly/probably the full license as well). If this one succeeds don't be too surprised to see a Freespace 3 kickstarter in the next year.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Overflight posted:

I'm guessing they're going the "spiritual successor" route unless they plan to ask for several million to get the license back.

As an aside, it got me wondering about synonyms for Syndicate. Cartel is right out the window for obvious reasons but Trust, as in Teddy Roosevelt's trust busting, has a lot of interesting possibilities either as a single world name or in a longer title. Especially given how most citizens are brainwashed and you can't trust anyone.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

As an aside, it got me wondering about synonyms for Syndicate. Cartel is right out the window for obvious reasons but Trust, as in Teddy Roosevelt's trust busting, has a lot of interesting possibilities either as a single world name or in a longer title. Especially given how most citizens are brainwashed and you can't trust anyone.
Sure you can! You just need to brainwash them first.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Ice-Pick Lodge has released a new update for Knock-Knock; apparently the development process has been pretty daunting for them, but they're going to enter beta in a few days:

quote:

We are in beta

Dear Friends!

We are in beta.

It looks like we managed to follow all requirements presented to us in the original letter (we took that as a very important task!) – and at the same time bring this “interactive meditation” (or a “pathology emulation”) closer to something that can be called a game. The result is enchanting, but strange. We’d call this genre “a loop”.

Our feelings at this moment are complex. One one hand, this thing works and affects just about any person that encounters it. On the other hand it drank impossibly much of our strength and fortitude and we look forward to soon forgetting it like some nightmare. Never again will we sign up for anything like this. Besides, we hope that occasions like this are rare, and that we will receive no more letters from mysterious pen pals. (Although, it would be interesting to hear their impressions from the game).

On Friday beta testing began.

Today we will commence porting the build to mobile platforms.

In parallel we are working on realization of all the prizes that we promised for your donations. The Artbook is compiled and is ready to go to print. As you are reading this, your names, one by one are being added to the project’s credits. The “surrogates” are being prepped too. The Enhanced Soundtrack is nearly ready, but Mushroomer, obviously, will be polishing it till the last possible day.

In connection to everything written above, we’d like to remind you: we are still waiting for filled forms so that we can add you to the credits and send you the prizes according to your donation. Hard to believe, but we still don’t have information from two investors that donated $200 each. The Person That Donated A Thousand is also not answering our messages. Please, hurry, we would like to send prizes to all deserving!

And last, our project still needs your support on Greenlight. Will the game be available on Steam or will we have to choose some other digital distribution service? (We would really like to place it on Steam, many people find it easiest to use.) If you haven’t done it yet, click on “Yes” here.

Really looking forward to this.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

"Consortium" is also sadly taken.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overflight posted:

I'm guessing they're going the "spiritual successor" route unless they plan to ask for several million to get the license back.

All I know is they better still have clown cars. Persuadertroning the entire town population, stuffing them all into a car, then blowing up the car was an amazing ring of fire (or just, you know, getting out of the car).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Why not just "Satellite Reign", the name of the website? It works in a number of different ways as far as control and manipulation of data systems as well as a nod to Syndicate Wars.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I assumed Satellite Reign to be the name they're going with, myself.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Stonehearth Kickstarter is just shy of 400 grand with 9 days to go which means the game will have co-op multiplayer, which really appeals to me. Also makes the two-game pledges much more appealing as well.

And they released some pre-alpha footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkH8QxujSpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOBdpQYN14

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 20, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If nothing else, the game looks absolutely gorgeous and the way the little guys build the structures bit by bit is just so relaxing to watch. I hope they succeed, not only in raising the funds necessary but also in completing a game that is fun to play.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Overflight posted:

Which creates the funny situation of having three different Syndicate successors released in 2013/2014 (Black Annex, Paradox Interactive's Cartel and this)

EDIT: The site is called "Satellite Reign". Thought so.

I'm sure the original weapon was called "Satellite Rain." That makes more sense to me, and seems more threatening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Including Paypal pledges, Hex is set to hit $1m by tomorrow at the latest.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also concerning Hex, just a heads up: the $500 tier will probably sell out within the next day or two now since it just picked up $100 worth of Set 2 boosters as a stretch goal. The next non-sold-out tier with a free weekly draft is $2,500. So if you're on the fence, it might be a good idea to reserve a slot now.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

pumpinglemma posted:

Also concerning Hex, just a heads up: the $500 tier will probably sell out within the next day or two now since it just picked up $100 worth of Set 2 boosters as a stretch goal. The next non-sold-out tier with a free weekly draft is $2,500. So if you're on the fence, it might be a good idea to reserve a slot now.

So are people actually buying this in order to just sell it in the hopes of making a neat profit?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

fookolt posted:

So are people actually buying this in order to just sell it in the hopes of making a neat profit?

Most people buying this are gambling on Hex being as fun long term as say Magic Online. IF it is, the value of the pro/GK tiers is 100% undeniable. I would pay over a grand for the equivalent of the Pro Tier in MTGO, so would a lot of people. That said, you really are gambling on faith alone, because this game is inherently taking a huge gamble combining multiple genres in a unexplored space. Basically, Pro/GK tier will be either a gold mine or virtually worthless.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

fookolt posted:

A few, but not many. I think most high pledgers just see it as an investment in playing the game for several years. (That said, if Hex ends up becoming Magic-size, then Collector and Pro Player accounts will probably sell for a lot more than $250 on the grey market.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fookolt posted:

The prices make more sense if you think of it as a TCG and not a video game. I took a look at one of the MTG threads and saw someone say a competitive deck runs you something like $150-500. That sounds high to me but I haven't played in over a decade so what do I know.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll easily spend more than $500 on Magic between now and the release of Hex, so jumping in on that level makes sense since it looks like the game is going to be good for a while. Also, I've decided against buying any boxes of Modern Masters so that frees up some cash.

(I wanted the Pro Tier, but waited too long.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pumpinglemma posted:

A few, but not many. I think most high pledgers just see it as an investment in playing the game for several years. (That said, if Hex ends up becoming Magic-size, then Collector and Pro Player accounts will probably sell for a lot more than $250 on the grey market.)

After all my bitching on the last couple pages, y'all convinced me and I've gone in Grand King, basically because:

1. I spent like $100 on magic back in the day when that was real money and still always got upstaged by those assholes who had like arabian nights etc. This is my long awaited opportunity to ground floor that poo poo and be that rear end in a top hat.

2. If I play long term, it's a wise investment. If I don't, its' an ebay gamble, and given the game's kickstartrr success so far it seems a safe bet.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
In hilarious Kickstarter news, looks like Denis Dyack's Shadow of the Elements funding projects are (predictably?) blowing up in drama.

:ssh: I don't think embezzlement allegations have much to do with why people aren't funding your project, Denis. I think it has to do with the fact that you have only released terrible games for the past decade

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I searched the last few pages and didn't see this posted:

Pixel Pres: Draw Your Own Video Game.

You draw a level in some graph paper you print out, scan it with your phone/tablet, and the app turns it into a 8-bit-esque platformer level.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For those who are clued into the Hex thing, why is it seemingly so much bigger than Solforge was?

VVV Yeah, I looked at Hex's pitch and I'm pretty skeptical about how the MMO and PvE things are going to work out, wheras I've been enjoying the Solforge beta for a while and it's very solid and fun. Which isn't to say it wouldn't be great for Hex to work out well but it almost seems like too much.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 21, 2013

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Mozi posted:

For those who are clued into the Hex thing, why is it seemingly so much bigger than Solforge was?

Mostly because Cryptozoic has more pedigree at TCG with WoW, at least imo. Also, Solforge did explore some digital mechanics, but Hex has gone A LOT deeper here: Putting cards in your opponents deck, changing values in all zones, tokens becoming permanents, etc. Also, the PvE game is a HUGE hook for the non-competitive TCG crowd. I backed Solforge as well, but it just not as ambitious a project. OTOH its also a lot more of a sure thing, at least that's my opinion. Hex has more huge bomb potential than Solforge does, because its trying so many new things and is a bit overly ambitious.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I missed the pro player tier as well so I donated towards grand king in Hex...currently trying to convince myself not to donate towards an extra King tier so I have 4x of most of the KS only cards.

I'm looking at it as an investment and a great value for a TCG game. If this game is even half as popular as magic I think some of these rewards are going to pay for themselves. As a fan of Magic, seeing all the ways they are taking advantage of being digital only excites me as a fan of this sort of thing and knowing that they have a good track record with the WoW TCG makes me assume they know what they are doing.

So anyways, i'm planning on enjoying the hell out of the game and also potentially profiting on KS rewards if this game gets huge.

Edit: Oh yea, they announced this today as a new stretch goal and it sounds awesome:

quote:

Keep Defense

Become the master of your own domain! Every Lord of Entrath must defend their Keep, so we’re turning it into a game. Players will be able to set up a series of decks to defend their Keep, which will be played by our powerful AI (so you don’t need to even be online!). There will be rewards and prizes for those who are victorious in both defense and offense.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: Oh yea, they announced this today as a new stretch goal and it sounds awesome:

Okay, I'm pretty skeptical of Hex, but I gotta admit that sounds pretty awesome.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

The Stonehearth Kickstarter is just shy of 400 grand with 9 days to go which means the game will have co-op multiplayer, which really appeals to me. Also makes the two-game pledges much more appealing as well.

And they released some pre-alpha footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkH8QxujSpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOBdpQYN14

I love these guys. They have tons of 'hey come watch us just model poo poo and chat' events and are really happy to show pre-alpha stuff, it fills me with a lot of hope for their project.

Also look how cute it is!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Goddammit I can't afford $500 but the Grand King tier is going fast. 4/5ths of the available slots are gone. :ohdear:

I mean I could put it on credit but my common sense is screaming at me for even considering it. :shepface:

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is how pretty much every multiplayer F2P game works.

Circa 2006.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mozi posted:

VVV Yeah, I looked at Hex's pitch and I'm pretty skeptical about how the MMO and PvE things are going to work out, wheras I've been enjoying the Solforge beta for a while and it's very solid and fun. Which isn't to say it wouldn't be great for Hex to work out well but it almost seems like too much.

There's a few possible reasons I can think of:

• Solforge is, at least on the face, a simpler game. No mana to worry about, can't hang onto cards for later, no deciding whether to attack or block with a creature already in play, etc. A lot of people are into TCGs because they're complex, so removing complexity may not be doing Solforge a lot of favors.
  • Hex goes a lot further with the digital elements. Solforge has cards transform, but that's about it. Hex has cards that transform under a much broader range of circumstances, cards which can change effects based on external decisions (equipment, etc), cards that affect other cards in your and your opponent's deck, stat boosts that are permanent even after death, etc.
  • Hex is more than just the base PvP game. No one knows how well the MMO/PvE part will do, but judging by the popularity of Duels of the Planeswalkers, there's certainly demand for that kind of content.
  • Hex is sticking very close to the base, established Magic formula, which means everyone who knows how to play Magic basically already knows how to play Hex. Even disregarding how they streamlined Solforge's mechanics, it's a much different game than any other major TCG out there, so it doesn't have a ready-made user base.
  • I believe Hex is getting a bit more media attention, although that's partly because of its success, so it's kind of feeding on itself a bit there.

There are other reasons for sure, but honestly Hex just seems to be a more complete product. It's basically MTGO + DotP with extra stuff added in and some potentially very attractive reward tiers.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

Mostly because Cryptozoic has more pedigree at TCG with WoW, at least imo. Also, Solforge did explore some digital mechanics, but Hex has gone A LOT deeper here: Putting cards in your opponents deck, changing values in all zones, tokens becoming permanents, etc. Also, the PvE game is a HUGE hook for the non-competitive TCG crowd. I backed Solforge as well, but it just not as ambitious a project. OTOH its also a lot more of a sure thing, at least that's my opinion. Hex has more huge bomb potential than Solforge does, because its trying so many new things and is a bit overly ambitious.

I went back and looked at the solforge kickstarter to see why I didn't pledge, and it's entirely because their kickstarter offers almost 0 value for pledging vs. sitting on your money and trying it when the game comes out. I pledge 60 dollars and I get 60 dollars in store credit + a single starter deck. Why would I bet 60 dollars on your game now when I could just do it later when I already know if it's worth 60 dollars? Hex also had a lot more of the game to show than solforge, and all the other stuff mentioned above where Hex is basically just magic, and I already know that's a good game with a lovely online offering. Their online offering looks like it'll be good and at this point it has so much momentum it's looking likely it'll be popular which is probably the most important part.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I grow increasingly happy I backed Stonehearth. They just seem to...get it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

At the same time, those massive bonuses make me less interested in backing for a low amount as it seems like I'll never have a chance to be competitive, whereas in Solforge this should be less of an issue. Thinking of Hex as Good Magic Online makes more sense as to why it's popular, I guess. But I'm also a little wary of the sheer amount of customization, modifiers, and various things. I guess I'm not in the target market because it just seems too complicated.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wasn't gonna back Stonehearth because for some reason I got the impression it was some Minecrafty sandbox thing but now that I actually had more of a loot it looks more kind of like the Settlers maybe and I think I'll back it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but has the company behind HEX ever made a video game before? Ambitious, never been done before MMO is a really bad way to get started in game development and has a high potential for ending up a clusterfuck. Think Kingdoms of Amalur.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
They've ported two of their games (Food Fight and Penny Arcade TCG) to iOS, but it looks like that's about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but has the company behind HEX ever made a video game before? Ambitious, never been done before MMO is a really bad way to get started in game development and has a high potential for ending up a clusterfuck. Think Kingdoms of Amalur.

Hex is not really an MMO - unless you count "three" as "massive". Calling it such is less accurate than calling the SA Forums a massively multiplayer text editor.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

Hex is not really an MMO - unless you count "three" as "massive". Calling it such is less accurate than calling the SA Forums a massively multiplayer text editor.

They themselves call it an MMO.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The game already mostly works, there're streams. How hard can they gently caress it up from here? I mean I guess it could exist in some state where all the cards never work quite right or something. Otoh they're made up mostly of former blizzard employees so they've probably been part of teams that shipped working games before. One of their designers was apparently one of the original three guys on WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
While it isn't an MMO in terms of player numbers it is a persistent online world with significant monetary valued attached to each player. So while porting the card game mechanics wont be too hard there are significant questions raised over whether they'll be able to maintain the infrastructure and security such a game requires.

Neverwinter's current problems show that even experienced MMO devs can run into significant trouble after all.