Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Neverwinter's current problems show that even experienced MMO devs can run into significant trouble after all.

That's a pretty strict definition of "experienced". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I kind of look at the PVE/MMO side of it like icing on the cake. It's probably a little misleading to call it an MMO in the traditional sense even though that's what they are claiming. While you have a champion I don't think you are going to be running around with a 3D model or anything unfortunately. From the screenshots it just looks like there are maps with nodes you'll travel back and forth from and right now the largest parties are 3 people. I guess what i'm saying is the MMO part of the game isn't going to be significantly different than just playing the card game with different challenges/scenarios and they already did a live stream showing what looked like a pretty far along TCG game.

I also backed Stonehearth, it looks fantastic!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Comrade Flynn posted:

I grow increasingly happy I backed Stonehearth. They just seem to...get it.
I was getting worried that with all their stretch goals they were going to promise more than they could deliver considering how much funding they were getting. Newest update? 'We've already achieved a lot of stretch goals, which is incredible, but at the same time we don't want to bite off more than we can chew. So we're reducing the number of minor stretch goals to ensure that we can finish every goal in time for the game's release.'

Not overpromising I take as a really good sign. They've also dropped plenty of hints or outright stated that they plan to keep adding to the game as long as it's profitable so if they don't reach a goal they'll patch it in later which sounds like they're serious about post release support.

I didn't really care too much about most of their stretch goals to this point but I have to say the one they've added with three different kingdoms sounds good. I can see my wife and I picking different ones and seeing how well they work together in co-op.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like Stonehearth because the guys making it look like Vin Diesel's nerdy little brothers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Neverwinter's current problems show that even experienced MMO devs can run into significant trouble after all.

Well, they've been in the MMO business a while, anyway. They've never been any good at it.

Neverwinter's going better than I expected, after playing STO for a while.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but has the company behind HEX ever made a video game before? Ambitious, never been done before MMO is a really bad way to get started in game development and has a high potential for ending up a clusterfuck. Think Kingdoms of Amalur.

Off the top of my head, they've got one of the original designers of World of Warcraft plus the go-to guy in the industry for TCG AI implementation. And like half their employees are ex-Blizzard. Plus Hex should be dramatically easier to code than a traditional MMO, given that it has a menu-based interface and turn-based play.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Off the top of my head, they've got one of the original designers of World of Warcraft plus the go-to guy in the industry for TCG AI implementation. And like half their employees are ex-Blizzard. Plus Hex should be dramatically easier to code than a traditional MMO, given that it has a menu-based interface and turn-based play.

Yeah, without the need for a persistent world things will be a lot easier to manage. Though I guess that will be offset by the sheer number of server-intensive AI matches they will be running.

Too bad it's pretty much a law of nature at this point that the servers of any MMO are going to crumple like wet tissue paper during the first few days. I guess that's the benefit of a 'soft launch' beta - if anybody bitches, they have the universal excuse of "It's beta - things are going to mess up!". The actual 'launch' will probably be smooth, though.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

The Moon Monster posted:

I like Stonehearth because the guys making it look like Vin Diesel's nerdy little brothers.

As opposed to Vin Diesel who is the nerdy big brother? :v: The guy has been playing D&D for 20 years now and basically based Riddick on his old Rifts character iirc.

The TinyKeep guys also did a good job of not over-promising. Their stretch goals are capped at double their funding amount (at around £44k, nothing extravagant), beyond that they'll just add a new creature for every £600. Seriously, go back these guys.

I have a question, how do the Stonehearth double packs work? I read the update where they explain it and came away confused. I'm in for $50 right now, I'd like to add another copy of the game preferably also with $50 tier perks. What should I do?

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Zonekeeper posted:

Goddammit I can't afford $500 but the Grand King tier is going fast. 4/5ths of the available slots are gone. :ohdear:

I mean I could put it on credit but my common sense is screaming at me for even considering it. :shepface:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Every time I refresh the page somebody has pledged 500$.

Seems like this game has the highest backer amount per pledge I've seen.

Right now it's 160$ per backer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Daeno posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Every time I refresh the page somebody has pledged 500$.

Seems like this game has the highest backer amount per pledge I've seen.

Right now it's 160$ per backer.

Not even close. The Kickstarter for Dreadball had 2539 backers and raised $730,000, which is about $280 per backer.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I searched the last few pages and didn't see this posted:

Pixel Pres: Draw Your Own Video Game.

You draw a level in some graph paper you print out, scan it with your phone/tablet, and the app turns it into a 8-bit-esque platformer level.
This is gonna make Shmorky poo poo a brick. Gonna send him this link right now.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Jedit posted:

Not even close. The Kickstarter for Dreadball had 2539 backers and raised $730,000, which is about $280 per backer.

Wow. I was way wrong. That(Dreadball game)'s amazing!

I'm glad I don't pay more attention to kickstarter...I'd be dead broke.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Daeno posted:

Wow. I was way wrong. That(Dreadball game)'s amazing!

I'm glad I don't pay more attention to kickstarter...I'd be dead broke.

Yeah, in retrospect I'm not sure bookmarking this thread to keep up on Stonehearth news was a good idea :P

The main thing I'm wondering about Hex is how popular it will be beyond the subset of people willing to drop ~$150 on a kickstarter. Hopefully the PvE side of things will keep a constant stream of people flowing in.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SaltyJesus posted:

I have a question, how do the Stonehearth double packs work? I read the update where they explain it and came away confused. I'm in for $50 right now, I'd like to add another copy of the game preferably also with $50 tier perks. What should I do?
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here. At $50 you'd get 2 beta copies with the puppy/kitten add ons. From their phrasing the puppy/kittens will be tied to the beta copies so if you had just one beta you'd only end up with one copy of those but at $50 you should be good. I'm sure they wouldn't care if you shared the artbook between yourselves.

If you're saying you want to add a 3rd copy there doesn't seem to be a way. Maybe donate another $50 through paypal? You'd end up with an extra copy but I'm sure you could find someone willing to split the cost for the extra copy.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, in retrospect I'm not sure bookmarking this thread to keep up on Stonehearth news was a good idea :P

The main thing I'm wondering about Hex is how popular it will be beyond the subset of people willing to drop ~$150 on a kickstarter. Hopefully the PvE side of things will keep a constant stream of people flowing in.

There are a bunch of environmental factors combining to give it a pretty good shot too. First, Magic The Gathering's online platform (MTGO) is crap, even the new UI they're supposed to be rolling out got pushed back because so many people didn't want to switch to it. Second, Cockatrice, the most widely used MTGO alternative was recently shut down by a legal challenge from Wizards. It had marketed itself as a generic online card game utility, but Magic The Gathering card sets were widely available and pretty much the only thing it was used for. Third, the patent Wizards have on their tapping mechanic are expiring right before the game comes out, allowing Hex to blatantly clone Magic in an online space.

I think these things combined with their F2P model, the spiffy advertising, and their TCG pedigree really make it more likely to work out. Worst case scenario, I think it will have a yearish window before Wizards sinks some serious money into fixing their online client, if they can sufficiently build up their base and differentiate themselves with the whole PvE/Champion/Digital aspects then it could become a real thing. If not, well, I bought a shitload of Star Trek CCG cards too; I'm just a sucker for nerdy poo poo and I'm not really ashamed of it.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

fookolt posted:

Welp, the last update for TUG was the one that pushed me over the edge to cancel my pledge. I took that money and pledged it to a sweet little game called TinyKeep:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phidinh/tinykeep

I actually did the exact same thing. Thanks for the posting this.

Here's what I posted on TUG's comments:

quote:

I was backing at the $25 dollar tier, but very soon I am going to withdraw my pledge. You have a lot of people with impressive degrees behind the project, but no listed experience in actual making games or putting products to market. (You mentioned you have industry developers, but that was about it...) Most of the information about the game has been vague handwaving that sounds promising but has no concrete ideas to back it up, and without those it seems to be over-ambituous and an "ideas-guy" type of project. The actual tech videos you've shown so far have pretty much all just been of throwing some glowing balls on bland landscapes. I was hoping future updates would show you actual have some real design ideas planned besides "the players decide the direction as the game goes on!!... or something... right??", but instead the only information you post about the game is small features or systems that mean nothing without the larger context of how the game works. It looks like you're going to just miss your goal, and I'm not really too upset about that as long as TUG is some hazy idea rather than a well defined design.

I don't know why I give a poo poo about this so much, but it's probably because it's just the first Kickstarter that I've ever pledged for and then thought about how stupid it is.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

bomblol posted:

I actually did the exact same thing. Thanks for the posting this.

Here's what I posted on TUG's comments:

I don't know why I give a poo poo about this so much, but it's probably because it's just the first Kickstarter that I've ever pledged for and then thought about how stupid it is.

Hah, it was also the first time I canceled a pledge for a project.

My pledge cancellation message was a lot shorter though; I pretty much just said I'm canceling my pledge because there wasn't enough concrete gameplay and too much "idea guys" walls of text.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Stonehearth made 400k, so co-op graphical dwarf fortress is gonna be a thing.

OBi posted:

There are a bunch of environmental factors combining to give it a pretty good shot too. First, Magic The Gathering's online platform (MTGO) is crap, even the new UI they're supposed to be rolling out got pushed back because so many people didn't want to switch to it. Second, Cockatrice, the most widely used MTGO alternative was recently shut down by a legal challenge from Wizards. It had marketed itself as a generic online card game utility, but Magic The Gathering card sets were widely available and pretty much the only thing it was used for. Third, the patent Wizards have on their tapping mechanic are expiring right before the game comes out, allowing Hex to blatantly clone Magic in an online space.

I just got really annoyed by MTG because every time I tried to get back into it, half the rules had changed, I could only recognize a quarter of the cards at most, some of my favorite cards had suddenly become illegal (Balance? Sol Ring?), and all in all the learning curve to get back into the game just seemed prohibitive, not to mention expensive. With Hex I've got a chance to start over at the ground floor with a new game.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
$500 tier for Hex is gone :monocle:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

OBi posted:

$500 tier for Hex is gone :monocle:

Goddamn. Now here's a question: Will pledges keep going up at the rate they were before, or will they drop off like a rock?

By my napkin math, all of the revealed stretch goals have been broken (once you add the Paypal donors), so the final stretch goal should be revealed soon. Hopefully it can be hit even with all the "affordable" draft tiers gone. :ohdear:

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Zonekeeper posted:

Goddamn. Now here's a question: Will pledges keep going up at the rate they were before, or will they drop off like a rock?

By my napkin math, all of the revealed stretch goals have been broken (once you add the Paypal donors), so the final stretch goal should be revealed soon. Hopefully it can be hit even with all the "affordable" draft tiers gone. :ohdear:

There's still plenty of $250 tiers left, just not the ones that give you a draft a week for life, which represented the best EV by far if the game actually survives awhile. The $120 tier also comes with a ton of poo poo, including a permanent lasting bonus (the black lotus clone garden thingy). I think pledges will drop off a bit, the fact that the 'draft for life' tiers were quickly going away definitely induced some people on the fence (me) about spending that much money to hop in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it settled at about the rate it was at a couple days ago.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think TinyKeep is interesting because instead of using programmer art they are using the stock assets you can buy off the Unity Asset store for a couple hundred bucks, but if they make their funding goal they want to hire the guy who made the asset store art. Seems like a good plan for a small team.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, the question for Hex at this point is "do we have a market outside of people willing to drop more than $250 on digital card games?". Right now the average pledge is like $150 and I doubt the game can survive on a diet of entirely big-ticket players. If nothing else, if all the people trying to get into matches all are free drafters, that's not sustainable long-term if there are any match rewards.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Stonehearth made 400k, so co-op graphical dwarf fortress is gonna be a thing.

Welp, that's me in for a couple copies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pledged 30 bucks for Stonehearth. I love me some DF clones, with this and Clockwork Empires it's going to be a good year I think.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Demiurge4 posted:

Pledged 30 bucks for Stonehearth. I love me some DF clones, with this and Clockwork Empires it's going to be a good year I think.

And Castle Story and Gnomoria and Towns...

Which is pretty much why I was so hesitant to buy into this one, since I already kickstarted Castle Story and am 100% sold on Clockwork.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, the question for Hex at this point is "do we have a market outside of people willing to drop more than $250 on digital card games?". Right now the average pledge is like $150 and I doubt the game can survive on a diet of entirely big-ticket players. If nothing else, if all the people trying to get into matches all are free drafters, that's not sustainable long-term if there are any match rewards.

The median pledge is only $85, though, and the Kickstarter is biased heavily towards people who already follow TCGs which will tend to bump up the pledge total. I'm not particularly worried.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Which is pretty much why I was so hesitant to buy into this one, since I already kickstarted Castle Story and am 100% sold on Clockwork.

Ugh. I had no idea about any of these. Thank god I can't fund any of them; especially Clockwork Empires.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think at lower tiers it suffers from the same issue as solforge. You can get a starter deck for free at launch and can earn PvE cards by playing, why give them 10 or 20 dollars now when you can wait and give them zero dollars and see if you actually like it. Also with the number of people who've already pledged there's going to be something like 10+ million cards from the first set floating around at launch, so if you just want to play the game, you probably get a better deal waiting for it to come out, then just buying the cards you need for a deck off people with a poo poo ton of boosters. Not to mention the 90000 or so free cards a week from draft play that get created by people. At this point if I weren't planning on getting king I'd just wait and spend that money on set 2 boosters, bet they trade pretty well to all those people with thousands of cards from set 1.

Anyway, none of that prevents the game from being popular, in the end if it gets 8k backers or 20k backers probably doesn't matter, as it's going to need more than 20k players regardless. I don't think the lower dollar tiers being unattractive means that game is unattractive to play for free, just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

HiggsBoson81 posted:

I think at lower tiers it suffers from the same issue as solforge. You can get a starter deck for free at launch and can earn PvE cards by playing, why give them 10 or 20 dollars now when you can wait and give them zero dollars and see if you actually like it. Also with the number of people who've already pledged there's going to be something like 10+ million cards from the first set floating around at launch, so if you just want to play the game, you probably get a better deal waiting for it to come out, then just buying the cards you need for a deck off people with a poo poo ton of boosters. Not to mention the 90000 or so free cards a week from draft play that get created by people. At this point if I weren't planning on getting king I'd just wait and spend that money on set 2 boosters, bet they trade pretty well to all those people with thousands of cards from set 1.

Anyway, none of that prevents the game from being popular, in the end if it gets 8k backers or 20k backers probably doesn't matter, as it's going to need more than 20k players regardless. I don't think the lower dollar tiers being unattractive means that game is unattractive to play for free, just have to wait and see how it all turns out.
You really highlight what could be an unforeseen problem with Hex. In paper TCG games most people have a limited amount of people or knowledge to trade with other people. In game everyone will know of and most likely use the trading house. This could be a huuuuuge clusterfuck of inflated or deflated prices for cards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Korak posted:

You really highlight what could be an unforeseen problem with Hex. In paper TCG games most people have a limited amount of people or knowledge to trade with other people. In game everyone will know of and most likely use the trading house. This could be a huuuuuge clusterfuck of inflated or deflated prices for cards.

I dunno, I checked some online MTG sites and it looks like there are thousands of cards selling for virtually nothing. I doubt it will be any worse than the MTG situation, at any rate.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Don't forget Banished, which while closer to Settlers does look fantastic.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I dunno, I checked some online MTG sites and it looks like there are thousands of cards selling for virtually nothing. I doubt it will be any worse than the MTG situation, at any rate.

Yeah, this will follow the normal TCG paradigm of "The best rare cards are more sought after and thus more expensive, while the commons - good and bad - can be readily obtained for a pittance".

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Korak posted:

That wont be a problem at all. While I'm sure Set 1 will be worth less than $2 a pack in the player market, if the game is popular at all, the current amount of packs in the pool to be distributed is not going to make them worthless for a couple reasons.

1. People are forgetting nobody has ANY cards, so everyone needs a lot of them to get into constructed.
2. So much will be eaten by sealed and draft every second of every day.
3. If this game is any good at all, the # of backers will only be a very small percentage of overall players and demand for packs.
4. Even the top echelons of backers are getting roughly a MTG case worth of boosters, thats not nearly enough to get playsets of mythics.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Korak posted:

This is actually a great thing in MTGO; Pauper is a cheap, highly competitive format where decks can be made for dollars, and things like the Goon League are easy to play when 90% of your deck costs less than a nickel a piece.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Part of it depends on what exactly the crafting system is going to look like. It's possible there will be the option to mulch cards for crafting materials, which depending on what you can make with them could act as a pretty hefty card sink. I hadn't considered how that would interact with pauper formats, though...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mugaaz posted:

That wont be a problem at all. While I'm sure Set 1 will be worth less than $2 a pack in the player market, if the game is popular at all, the current amount of packs in the pool to be distributed is not going to make them worthless for a couple reasons.

1. People are forgetting nobody has ANY cards, so everyone needs a lot of them to get into constructed.
2. So much will be eaten by sealed and draft every second of every day.
3. If this game is any good at all, the # of backers will only be a very small percentage of overall players and demand for packs.
4. Even the top echelons of backers are getting roughly a MTG case worth of boosters, thats not nearly enough to get playsets of mythics.

It depends how tournaments pay out. In Magic Online, tournaments pay out in boosters, and their values are way deflated below MSRP than buying them in the store. The previous two major sets bottomed out at $2.50 of virtual currency (tickets, or "tix"), where if you bought them in the online store you'd pay $3.99 for them. Though, they're now recovering because they're more scarce than the current set and they're all being drafted together.

While draft/sealed tournaments are a pack sink, constructed tournaments take tix but pay out in packs, so the price of packs compated to tix is undervalued because the ONLY way to generate tix into the market is to buy them in the store for Real Dollars.

If HEX pays out some tournaments in their online currency (Platinum or whatever) then that could combat the deflation of packs, but we'll have to wait and see.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

fookolt posted:

I took that money and pledged it to a sweet little game called TinyKeep:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phidinh/tinykeep

I honestly wish I had more money to pledge to this, I normally just pledge the bottom tier but drat this looks like something that could be incredible. If it doesn't get funded with such a reasonable target then that is pretty depressing.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I honestly wish I had more money to pledge to this, I normally just pledge the bottom tier but drat this looks like something that could be incredible. If it doesn't get funded with such a reasonable target then that is pretty depressing.

Aw, that's okay :) I really really hope these folks get funded; I talked a bit more with the developers and they are just really nice people.

I hope some more goons consider pledging/sharing the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I agree, I really hope it makes it. Shame that a figure that's a margin of error in some of the bigger projects can determine whether a cool little game like this can exist at all or not.