Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I remember now why I hated the Gree event so much. That loving PVP area that is constantly filled with a raid group of imps ganking every republic player they can find.

There's a very simple solution to this, and I don't know why more people haven't thought of it: DON'T DO THE PVP QUESTS.

I mean, not to single you out, but more directed at the foums carebears hobbesmaster mentions above, you're missing out on very little by not doing those couple of quests. If the area is hostile, you're going to suffer way more frustration than the reward is worth, so don't bring it on yourself. I hit Legend while only doing a handful of the PVP dailies, and I didn't ever force myself to finish them. I would usually run down there by myself to see if I could sneak in a completion, and just leave for the day if I got gangbanged. Either that, or I would run with a full group geared for PVP and loaded for bear.

It's just so annoying to read a wall of complaints from people exclaiming that the Gree event is poo poo and their lives are ruined and Bioware owes them reparations because they run like lemmings again and again straight into a waiting gank squad.

Medullah posted:

I finally said "Dude, you know, if you let tank pull, you'll die a whole lot less." He said "Not my fault the tank can't pull aggro off me, he's a terrible tank. Guess I'll have to play at retard speed."

We booted him right away with the message "WE R RETARDS"

I've gotten a lot less shy about using votekick when someone is doing an obviously poo poo job. I've been reading complaints about DPS who will queue in group finder as a tank to get a faster queue pop. They inevitably say "Oh man, it was so horrible, he couldn't hold aggro and the healer was working overtime and we wiped four times but I didn't want to kick him because I didn't want to wait in the queue again." gently caress that. Time spent in queue is infinitely less frustrating than time spent herding idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does companion affection affect their stats, other than crafting speed and the bonus you get for completing all their conversations?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nipponophile posted:

I've gotten a lot less shy about using votekick when someone is doing an obviously poo poo job. I've been reading complaints about DPS who will queue in group finder as a tank to get a faster queue pop. They inevitably say "Oh man, it was so horrible, he couldn't hold aggro and the healer was working overtime and we wiped four times but I didn't want to kick him because I didn't want to wait in the queue again." gently caress that. Time spent in queue is infinitely less frustrating than time spent herding idiots.

I look for that one immediately, to see what stance they are in when they zone in. I'll let them know "Hey, you're not in Tank stance" and they'll usually swap, and that's enough for pretty much every HM flashpoint at this point if the rest of the group is overgeared. But occasionally, I'll get the guy that says "I know, I'm DPS, but I queued as Tank because the queues are too long as DPS." I genuinely don't get that. As a healer, I can keep them alive most of the time, but it's not worth the effort. Vote kick them and run with a tank companion, as far as I'm concerned.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Does companion affection affect their stats, other than crafting speed and the bonus you get for completing all their conversations?

Also crafting crit chance.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

kmzh posted:

Also crafting crit chance.

Okay, so if I'm not planning on doing crafting with a character, there's not much point in caring about affection prior to chapter 3 when most companion storylines become completeable. Right?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Because the Gree event being back isn't enough to celebrate, I was making a terrible pubbie's day by repeatedly hunting and killing him in the PVE zone. My friend here reported that he was bitching in General about this, and for lack of way to collect the tears, I decided to head to the base of the Imperial base and call him out. At which point it hit me: the ledge LOOKS like it is within 30 meters... maybe I can...

Well, Bioware got it half right. Sure, the game autokills me as soon as I leap up there. But, of course, this is Bioware we're talking about. Call my medical probe? Yes please!

It stripped my PVP flag, and if you go too close to the edge, the autokill triggers (learned this after we pulled a friend up and he tried to leave), but it doesn't beat the novelty of a Jedi playing Kloo on top of the vendor tents. Shame they don't sell post cards.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Yeah, I guess the obvious answer is to just not attempt the PVP quests. People saying 'just gather a group of pubbies and fight it out' obviously haven't tried going toe-to-toe with 8 guildies all ganking anyone they see though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone recommend Matrix Cubes anymore compared to a standard relic? I know that the free Battlemaster Relics you got at 50 blew away the stats on the cubes for PVE and PVP...but now you don't get those, so maybe the cube is worthwhile to get again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah, I guess the obvious answer is to just not attempt the PVP quests. People saying 'just gather a group of pubbies and fight it out' obviously haven't tried going toe-to-toe with 8 guildies all ganking anyone they see though.

Luckily there are other instances.

Also, you seem to be misunderstanding the "fight it out" thing - the pubbies are there as decoys.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

hobbesmaster posted:

Luckily there are other instances.

Also, you seem to be misunderstanding the "fight it out" thing - the pubbies are there as decoys.

All instances are the same. It's just not doable. The droid one is soloable, but the energy cube thing? Nuh-uh, not even worth attempting.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

All instances are the same. It's just not doable. The droid one is soloable, but the energy cube thing? Nuh-uh, not even worth attempting.
They're both pretty easy to solo at level 50 and up assuming you have at least the rakata mods from the planetary vendor. :confused:

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

They're both pretty easy to solo at level 50 and up assuming you have at least the rakata mods from the planetary vendor. :confused:

My favourite is going in as my 72 aug'd out maurauder to just complete the drat quests, then running into assholes who try to stop you and calling in all my guildies to ruin their day and control the whole area for the Empire. It's made especially hilarious when you make a raid group of 72's and spreading out across the area and not letting anyone from the other side kill any low level troopers for the initial part.

That being said I only do this when I have been attacked while minding my own business.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I have been wondering, are the Assassin and Shadow tanking specs viable? or is it a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? The class looks fun so I am tempted to try it. I keep rolling new characters and getting them past the starting area just to see how they play, the worst part is they are all pretty fun. Using Falcon Punch! On my Powertech BH never gets old though:dukedog:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hoboskins posted:

Using Falcon Punch! On my Powertech BH never gets old though:dukedog:

This is how I feel about the kick ability as a smuggler, despite the fact that it is a stun I find myself holding onto it and trying to make it so it is the killing blow wherever possible, because kicking a person in the groin so hard that they literally die from it never stops being awesome.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hoboskins posted:

I have been wondering, are the Assassin and Shadow tanking specs viable? or is it a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? The class looks fun so I am tempted to try it. I keep rolling new characters and getting them past the starting area just to see how they play, the worst part is they are all pretty fun. Using Falcon Punch! On my Powertech BH never gets old though:dukedog:

I've got an assassin tank at 20 but I've had many of them as tanks for FPs. I can't speak for endgame but they seem perfectly good at what they do. They require more thought and effort than a pure mitigation tank, but I think you'll be in good shape with one.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've been playing F2P, just hit lvl 34, and I'm curious about the Legacy system since it's a thing that got put in after I stopped playing at launch. I mainly want to use it to unlock races because when I play through Agent it's Chiss or nothing :colbert: Is there a guide someplace that explains exactly how it works? The in-game text boxes didn't do a great job of explaining themselves.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shadows are amazing tanks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hoboskins posted:

They make excellent tanks. Though, as Sanguina said, they require more button pressing than a mitigation tank like Guardian or Trooper. Though, I'd argue they are the best at getting and keeping AOE.

Short answer, yes. They're great and if you want to play one, do that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Sanguinia posted:

I've been playing F2P, just hit lvl 34, and I'm curious about the Legacy system since it's a thing that got put in after I stopped playing at launch. I mainly want to use it to unlock races because when I play through Agent it's Chiss or nothing :colbert: Is there a guide someplace that explains exactly how it works? The in-game text boxes didn't do a great job of explaining themselves.

There are three ways to unlock a race on your legacy:

- Level a character of that race to 50 (basically only seems useful if you want a race/class combo you can't do normally, requires you to already have access to race)
- Spend however many Cartel Coins
- Spend $1.5 million in-game credits

IIRC none of those options require a specific legacy level.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

WarLocke posted:

- Spend $1.5 million in-game credits

You should ~never~ do this, now that you can buy it as a Cartel item. You can get the exact same "unlock" off of the GTN for around 100-200k credits regularly. At least on my server, though I find it hard to believe they'd go past 300k on any server with the credit-cap on F2P accounts (which are the biggest market for race-unlocks.)

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
nevermind

take three tablets fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 22, 2013

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Chiss unlock goes for about 160k on JC. Almost picked it up twice because I really want to do a Chiss JK playthrough.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Just wanted to link to a great picture of Adonnta (my sorc).

I think I have done a decent job playing space dress up.

(also if the image is huge or weird, let me know, I have no idea how to post this stuff on SA.)

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 22, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Warmachine posted:

They make excellent tanks. Though, as Sanguina said, they require more button pressing than a mitigation tank like Guardian or Trooper. Though, I'd argue they are the best at getting and keeping AOE.

Short answer, yes. They're great and if you want to play one, do that.

Having played a Vanguard, Assassin and Guardian, my Assassin is by far my favorite tank. Easiest to hold aggro with 3 (4 if you count the ground pound) instant cast AOEs, able to do my own CC, and can fade when a wipe is imminent. Only thing they lack is a gap closer.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

Having played a Vanguard, Assassin and Guardian, my Assassin is by far my favorite tank. Easiest to hold aggro with 3 (4 if you count the ground pound) instant cast AOEs, able to do my own CC, and can fade when a wipe is imminent. Only thing they lack is a gap closer.

Force Speed and Force Pull.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I'm in full 69. I'm not sure how you think one level 50 in Rakata gear is going to be able to take on like 4 other players at once?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm in full 69. I'm not sure how you think one level 50 in Rakata gear is going to be able to take on like 4 other players at once?

Yea, who may also very well be in exactly the same thing. It's simply not realistic in the more enemy populated servers unless you're with friends.

Stealth is sweet of you have that too!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Sorc storyline is really poorly thought out.

So your a slave starting off. Cool I thought, I'll make a Twi'lek. Nope, gently caress me I guess, my families lineage all the way back is Sith Pureblood. Suddenly, all my class quests in Act 2 all felt off. So I went back and made a Sith Pureblood Sorc. But now all the Act 1 stuff feels off, because everyone keeps referring to my SITH PUREBLOOD as a weak slave, who can never be Sith.

So I guess go human Sorc or bust? Kind of silly.

How does playing an Assassin feel? I generally prefer tanking in video games, but the whole two handed lightsaber thing looks really stupid. I'm conflicted in that I love shooting lightning out of my hands, but the idea of tanking through skills rather then armor class seems like a fun one. I'm mainly worried I'll have a repeat of my Vanguard, like the idea behind the class, like how it plays, get burned out because I find the animations terrible.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Admittedly it's been a while since I levelled SI but isn't it that your family has a Sith history, not that you're race is Sith Pureblood? I.e it's not your race as you're a slave no matter what, but you have a Sith Lord ancestor (Kallig) and your line is strong in the Force? Might have got confused due to the number of different meanings of the word Sith...

And assassin/shadow tanking has been covered earlier in the thread, but yes it's great fun and my main tank is Shadow. Love him for node defence in 55 pvp and as an Assassin you can still shoot lightning :science:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Laradus posted:

Admittedly it's been a while since I levelled SI but isn't it that your family has a Sith history, not that you're race is Sith Pureblood? I.e it's not your race as you're a slave no matter what, but you have a Sith Lord ancestor (Kallig) and your line is strong in the Force? Might have got confused due to the number of different meanings of the word Sith...

I'm going through it now and I'm pretty sure that's the case. Kallig is always seen with a helmet covering his head completely to keep his race ambiguous.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Can someone drop an invite to Pandokrator when you're online please ? Also do I need to be online at the same time or is it just a mail message or something ?

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm on Jedi Covenant, Imperial side.

Cpl Clegg fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 22, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rookersh posted:

Man, Sorc storyline is really poorly thought out.

So your a slave starting off. Cool I thought, I'll make a Twi'lek. Nope, gently caress me I guess, my families lineage all the way back is Sith Pureblood. Suddenly, all my class quests in Act 2 all felt off. So I went back and made a Sith Pureblood Sorc. But now all the Act 1 stuff feels off, because everyone keeps referring to my SITH PUREBLOOD as a weak slave, who can never be Sith.

So I guess go human Sorc or bust? Kind of silly.

How does playing an Assassin feel? I generally prefer tanking in video games, but the whole two handed lightsaber thing looks really stupid. I'm conflicted in that I love shooting lightning out of my hands, but the idea of tanking through skills rather then armor class seems like a fun one. I'm mainly worried I'll have a repeat of my Vanguard, like the idea behind the class, like how it plays, get burned out because I find the animations terrible.

Once you get Talos and talk with him a bit, he'll tell you about Lord Kallig's reputation for being unusually friendly/ fond of aliens. So either, you know, he was an alien, you are the offspring of him and some alien or Kallig's fondness for aliens got him killed and his family ensalved. There are a lot of ways to make it work regardless of your character's species.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Twi'lek Sorceror, best Sorceror. :colbert:

I actually have one made up to squat on a name since I'm still focusing on my Juggernaught.

Also, seeing how much I'm outleveling stuff with Nalima (got the quest to go to Tatooine (level 24-28 planet) at 31) seems like with alts (especially if you can get the legacy XP rate unlocks) you could basically ignore Heroic quests, ignore the 'bonus' sub-quests (ie, 'kill 25 <mob type>' while the main quest is loot 5 pyjack asses) and the daily FP/WZ/space missions would still probably be too much experience.

e: Do 'bonus' sub-quests ever give you anything but more experience? I've never noticed loot or an actual physical reward from them. If it's just XP, it's that much easier to ignore them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WarLocke posted:

e: Do 'bonus' sub-quests ever give you anything but more experience? I've never noticed loot or an actual physical reward from them. If it's just XP, it's that much easier to ignore them.

Most of the just "Kill X ewoks" or "Smash Y ewok skulls" are just additional experience. If you come across a multi-stage bonus (Kill 7 ewoks followed by kill 15 ewoks, followed by kill Destroyer X7-Alpha Ewok Hybrid and loot his cyber skull) that will usually give you an item.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

"Doing the quest" and "fighting four other players at once" are not even remotely the same thing. If you're just getting relentlessly murdered by 4 man premades hop instances or wait until they leave?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Once you get Talos and talk with him a bit, he'll tell you about Lord Kallig's reputation for being unusually friendly/ fond of aliens. So either, you know, he was an alien, you are the offspring of him and some alien or Kallig's fondness for aliens got him killed and his family ensalved. There are a lot of ways to make it work regardless of your character's species.

I thought Talos flat out said that Kallig was an alien in a conversation option. (And he only knew about it because of how rare that was)

Edit: your sorc is pure blood though and wouldn't be an alien; so perhaps that line depends on PC's race?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

wtftastic posted:

Re: Inquisitor

If you are playing an alien yourself, Talos also has a line telling you that Kallig was an alien; otherwise it's left vague to make the family connection still work. As far as playing a pureblood goes, the Sith had a caste system that included some of their own species among the slave caste, perhaps along 'racial' lines that would be easy for other Sith to see.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

FaintlyQuaint posted:

"Doing the quest" and "fighting four other players at once" are not even remotely the same thing. If you're just getting relentlessly murdered by 4 man premades hop instances or wait until they leave?

Like I said before, it's the same in every instance, all the time. I've decided to take the advice in the thread and just not bother, perhaps not bother with the gree event at all, after you get the legacy mainhand there's nothing of interest really.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

"Doing the quest" and "fighting four other players at once" are not even remotely the same thing.

The person you were responding to was specifically talking about the PVP quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

kmzh posted:

The person you were responding to was specifically talking about the PVP quests.
Yes, and? Seriously I've never had any problems completing the pvp quest on any of the servers I have characters on that can do it. Both Jedi Covenant (Rep and Imp) and Prophecy of the Five (Imp) have plenty of down-time in the pvp area where you can waltz in, complete the quest, and walk out having never seen another player. Much less four working together. If you're on an insanely populated server or only have very limited playtime I could understand having trouble, but I just wake up early in the morning and complete them before reset.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Like I said before, it's the same in every instance, all the time. I've decided to take the advice in the thread and just not bother, perhaps not bother with the gree event at all, after you get the legacy mainhand there's nothing of interest really.
That must be terrible.

• Locked thread