Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~

A Bystander posted:

Too bad that game's online is deader than the prime minister.

I'm glad you've got the skill needed to wreck this game. I had fun watching someone stumble through this like a dumbass and it'll be great watching someone who knows what he's doing.

It's always great fun to watch someone skilled at the game who isn't a pompous douchenozzle whose voice makes things unwatchable. It's why I like Accounting Nightmare's DMC videos so much.

I watched that first video like three times and I'm probably going to buy this when I have money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm usually not very much into games like these (DMC, Bayonetta) but got this at launch because I love me some Metal Gear regardless of genre and had a complete blast. I've played through this countless times and it still manages to be tons of fun. The parry system is kind of ingenious and insanely satisfying to pull off, and being able to reduce enemies to tiny bits is so cathartic and satisfying. I've only done normal so far but I'm considering kicking it up a notch to hard once I get back to it.

And despite having scoured nearly every inch of this game I'm sure I'll be learning tons of new stuff from this LP as is usually the case when Chip LPs a Metal Gear. Eagerly awaiting Ironicus' reactions as the game progresses; the RAY fight is up there when it comes to how nuts this game can be but there's a lot more craziness to come.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

That's not a gun, that's a camera. It even has a tripod at the bottom.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

horriblePencilist posted:

That's not a gun, that's a camera. It even has a tripod at the bottom.

God drat it, I really hope this 5D movie fad is going to end soon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...is a Metal Gear Ray supposed to be a threat to Raiden? He singlehandedly destroyed 15 of those at once on his first mission. (How anyone can dislike MGS2 when you have to fight 15 Metal Gears in the same boss fight is beyond me).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Patter Song posted:

So...is a Metal Gear Ray supposed to be a threat to Raiden? He singlehandedly destroyed 15 of those at once on his first mission. (How anyone can dislike MGS2 when you have to fight 15 Metal Gears in the same boss fight is beyond me).

He gave up after a certain point whining about how he couldn't do it even if you played the rest of the fight perfectly. :colbert:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Well, to be fair, those were mass-produced, and kinda lovely quality. The newer ones in MGS4/MGR are tougher, better equipped, and in this case have a loving plasma cannon. It's a threat to Raiden.

That's why he murdered the gently caress out of it with awesome metal playing in the background.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Obviously Ray is not a threat to Raiden. It's playing the Worf role here, getting the poo poo kicked out of it so Raiden can look all badass, making it all the more shocking when he gets totally chumped by Sam. Even the lyrics to Ray's own boss music are all about how it's on the verge of extinction, out-evolved by advances in combat cyborg technology.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, to be fair, those were mass-produced, and kinda lovely quality. The newer ones in MGS4/MGR are tougher, better equipped, and in this case have a loving plasma cannon. It's a threat to Raiden.

That's why he murdered the gently caress out of it with awesome metal playing in the background.

I don't think the weapons matter much if they can't hit him. :v:

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Rays are just the tanks of the future. Did you see what Snake did to tanks in his day?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Runaway Bro posted:

Rays are just the tanks of the future. Did you see what Snake did to tanks in his day?

I think it'd be more accurate to compare them to Gekko.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it'd be more accurate to compare them to Gekko.

You might come to regret that comparison.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, I meant more along the lines of how Gekko were tough to normal people in MGS4, but cake for cyborgs like Raiden.

I imagine that if Gekko are still around, Raiden could cut through them with more ease than RAY.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Three days, ten pages, one update, and it already feels like I've been waiting forever. This LP is going to be hell.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I imagine that if Gekko are still around, Raiden could cut through them with more ease than RAY.

If Gekkos were upgraded like Ray was, they could still be a threat. I mean, they were always really agile.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

randombattle posted:

The reality is significantly less awesome... Basically it's the same as they explain in the game. A vibration is set through the blade at an ultrahigh frequency which makes it better able to cut through poo poo due largely to the decreased friction on the blade as it's cutting. They use ultrasonic blades for industrial cutting in things like food and carpet.

Significantly less awesome?!

Real-life hypersonic blades are beyond loving awesome.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ThatPazuzu posted:

If Gekkos were upgraded like Ray was, they could still be a threat. I mean, they were always really agile.

All of these have codec calls addressing them. It's pretty funny how like every ridiculous or strange thing has at least one codec call explaining why things are that way and for the most part they all make sense. I'm sure we will be hearing a lot of the important codec calls that talk about these things like ray and whatnot.

Ray's theme Rules of Nature is actually the theme for all the large UGs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Subway Sandwich Artist Transformed

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hypersonic blades, for all your hardcore baguette-cutting needs.

Compared to a normal knife, how bad would you cut yourself were you to touch your hand with that thing ?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

Compared to a normal knife, how bad would you cut yourself were you to touch your hand with that thing ?

The entire point of them is to cut as cleanly and easily as possible. You could probably do yourself some serious damage just because your expectations of cutting resistance weren't met.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

goatface posted:

The entire point of them is to cut as cleanly and easily as possible. You could probably do yourself some serious damage just because your expectations of cutting resistance weren't met.

On the bright side, if it's anything like an obsidian scalpel the wound would heal with less scarring than one from a typical knife due to the nice clean cut.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Patter Song posted:

Well it wasn't really meant to defeat him, just slow him down.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You wonder why they didn't just send the Antonio Banderas samurai or the giant-scissors Texan after him.

"Ha ha! We will fight later! This is just the prologue!"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
RAY was actually the least dangerous thing they had available. They just knew that Raiden couldn't resist showing off, so they sent RAY after him knowing he'd waste like 10 minutes cutting off all its guns and jumping off missiles and running down clocktowers and poo poo while they took apart all the actual competent mercenaries they had.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Spiritus Nox posted:

Three days, ten pages, one update, and it already feels like I've been waiting forever. This LP is going to be hell.

The next update'll be up on Friday. I'm gonna attempt to keep updates going weekly, but I'm attending Ironicus' wedding next month so there might be a break in the updates at some point.

Speaking of the music linked in here, this is actually an older version of the RAY theme that isn't used in the game. The one used in game is "Rules of Nature". The other version is called "Locked and Loaded" and isn't used in the game anywhere, but still appears on the official soundtrack. It sounds similar but has different lyrics.

You may also find some versions of songs from the game that have a less electronic sound to them. There are actually "Platinum" mixes as well as "Maniac Agenda" mixes. The songs were originally written to sound more standard metal, but were then sent to Maniac Agenda (a dubstep group, I believe) to add an electronic feel on top of the normal songs. There are also some other versions of the songs you can find floating around Youtube, these are older/incomplete versions of some of the songs that were hiding within the game's demo.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Chip Cheezum posted:

Speaking of the music linked in here, this is actually an older version of the RAY theme that isn't used in the game. The one used in game is "Rules of Nature". The other version is called "Locked and Loaded" and isn't used in the game anywhere, but still appears on the official soundtrack. It sounds similar but has different lyrics.

It is? I have the vocal album because I'm a dork but all it has is the Rules of Nature version.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think Chip is confusing Locked and Loaded with Hot Wind Blowing. Locked and Loaded is basically the exact same song as Rules of Nature with different lyrics that was changed for some reason during development. (Probably because Raiden doesn't use any guns) Hot Wind Blowing is on the soundtrack but isn't featured in the game. It's the boss music for a member of the Winds of Destruction seen in DLC2.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought we agreed it was a tossup between "ZUGZWANG" and "BITCH-BOOM"?

The ultra-sonic blade idea has been around for a long time. They are cool, but never buy a cheap one. You'll have the world's most dangerous vibrator.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The versions of most of the songs they use in the game are carefully mixed up some so that the 'good' parts come in when the battle kicks up. Searching for OST stuff on Youtube might get you a couple different versions of the same song but one is missing a verse or whatever and is probably the one used in-game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought we agreed it was a tossup between "ZUGZWANG" and "BITCH-BOOM"?

I'm a fan of a lot of the sound effects that appeared in adventures involving Marvel's Hercules like CRAKKAJAMMA and KRAKKINAJAA.

One of my favourites is N-TU-DASUNNN!

Or NURP.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 22, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

And the text is purple, too. It's perfect.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I dunno, I'm a fan of SICKNASTY myself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Incredible Hercules is perfect, thus it contains all the best SFX.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

This is why nobody goes to Subway with Boris. "Yes. YES. Split it wide open! But no olives, please!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

This is why nobody goes to Subway with Boris. "Yes. YES. Split it wide open! But no olives, please!"

Sitting across the table from Raiden, who is feverishly inhaling a gigantic meatball sub:

"FINISH THAT BASTARD OFF"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sitting across the table from Raiden, who is feverishly inhaling a gigantic meatball sub:

"FINISH THAT BASTARD OFF"

Or when they're out back smoking weed:

"Raiden! Use Blaze Mode to smoke this HEMP missile!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, I'm a fan of SICKNASTY myself.
I've always been a fan as well. One of the better sound effects in that comic.

Also, about on par with the ridiculousness of the Metal Gear universe!

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Patter Song posted:

Don't forget that in MGS4, it lost to a battered version of a metal gear it was designed to beat. MG Ray might as well be the MGS equivalent of a koopa in the next MGS game.

E: vvv Fair point, but later on in MGS4, it couldn't even take out a ship because it was too busy posing before it got killed by the plot. Why does the metal gear with the best design have to be the most useless one in the series. :argh:

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 22, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Don't forget that in MGS4, it lost to a battered version of a metal gear it was designed to beat. MG Ray might as well be the MGS equivalent of a koopa in the next MGS game.

To be fair, Rex had an unfair advantage since the makers of Ray expected Rex to shoot at it with missiles and things, not it saying "gently caress it" and start literally kicking it's rear end.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The GIG posted:

To be fair, Rex had an unfair advantage since the makers of Ray expected Rex to shoot at it with missiles and things, not it saying "gently caress it" and start literally kicking it's rear end.

Also, it was the prototype of Metal Gear REX. Prototypes of giant robots are always way more powerful.

• Locked thread