Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, I had a Funhouse game in the hundreds of millions that poo poo itself and I wasn't able to end the game and save the score. It's really disheartening when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I'm too paranoid to play Cirque Voltaire through its modes, because two times I've neared the end and gotten all the balls stuck in the launcher.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Toady posted:

I'm too paranoid to play Cirque Voltaire through its modes, because two times I've neared the end and gotten all the balls stuck in the launcher.

I had 3 balls in the launcher yesterday. I just shot jackpots with the 4th one until I lost it, gave the plunger a hard flick, and all 3 came out.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

petewhitley posted:

This latest update is much more stable and added some nice options but I feel the physics are pretty harsh on the new default settings. Also, if you haven't done so I recommend trying the tables with the table glass effect "off" as it really lets the art pop.

Yeah, I thought the new physics were pretty brutal too. Before the update I thought the tables were pretty fair and perhaps too easy, but now it seems like I'm draining balls like crazy. In Time Machine, it seems like I have a 50% chance of the ball exiting right from the bumpers into the center, and Farfalla seems to have magnets in the outlanes or something. Wouldn't be so bad but the game doesn't have any tilt controls so there's nothing you can do. The ball also moves crazy fast compared to before, although I'm not sure whether or not that's supposed to be accurate or not. Can be irritating at times, but at least the adjustable physics let you control it somewhat. Is there any way to save custom physics? Whenever I start the app up again, it defaults to arcade physics and I have to reset the custom numbers again.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 18, 2013

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I believe that saving physics is a request that they should be adding in a future version.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
TPA Season pass incoming, from the Android beta thread here

quote:

just a quick update guys the amazon submission and this season pass business has slowed me down a bit, I will be in for a while tomorrow but this one might have to wait until Monday if I am to get these new features in. I will keep you updated, sorry for the delay!.
------------
What is the season pass? Missed that one...
------------
Yeah, you will see soon =) but essentially its a way to buy previous tables in a bundle. The way things are working out I might try to give you guys a beta build without some of the frills first so that you can test while I finish implementing them. With catching up from the trip, setting up my new pc, doing some work for tournaments (we are implementing an overall rank that tracks your progress on multiple tournys), amazon, and helping a few of the other programmers with some back-end work I have been set a bit behind ><,,><.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So in a fit of no-Centaur-having-induced rage I spent the forty bucks or so on all the Zen Pinball tables. Still amazed I can get like two dozen good-quality tables for that kind of dough.

I can't figure out Empire Strikes Back's video mode for the life of me though. I need to just time the saber parry with the droid's blasts, or what? I'm 0 for 10 now.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Eegah posted:

I can't figure out Empire Strikes Back's video mode for the life of me though. I need to just time the saber parry with the droid's blasts, or what? I'm 0 for 10 now.

The second you see where the droid is going, push the button. Ignore trying to time the animation for a block or anything, just once you know where it goes, press the appropriate button.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's got it. I was thinking the check mark on the side was supposed to do something. Thanks!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Clouseau posted:

I'd wager that it's Sorcerer's Lair, since it's not out and it's the free table for mobile.
Speaking of which, is the layout of Sorcerer's Lair based on or very similar to any real table? I know it's relatively basic, but it's my favorite of all the Zen tables I've played, and I've played most of the ones available on mobile.

Eegah posted:

That's got it. I was thinking the check mark on the side was supposed to do something. Thanks!
The check mark is Zen's launch button action. In that mode, it blocks up.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Captain Cool posted:

Speaking of which, is the layout of Sorcerer's Lair based on or very similar to any real table? I know it's relatively basic, but it's my favorite of all the Zen tables I've played, and I've played most of the ones available on mobile.

Sorcerer's Lair is definitely one of their better ones.

Looking at the table, it's similar (but not 1:1) to a flipped Funhouse/Tron. Tron has a similar layout to Funhouse, but it also has a spinning disc.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So is Spiderman not available on iOS?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nope.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Starhawk posted:

Think I've got some more grey hairs by trying to catch Nurge's score on Twilight Zone. I can get about 3.5b, but then I'm just tapped out. My entire local scoreboard goes from 3.2b to 3.5b. I can't even fathom how he got 10b+.

I hit a 4.2b on it and haven't been able to break 3b since. I did run into the camera glitch which cost me a potential huge game a week or so ago.

Speaking of TZ, I'll have one in my home tomorrow. First time I've really been able to play one since my college days. After that, I'm officially tapped out on machines for awhile. No more room for them. I'm going to be converting it to LED lights next weekend and will take some before and after pictures.

Also got a chance to play Metallica again at Enchanted Castle. I'm going to do a 180 on my earlier impressions. Maybe I was having a bad pinball day last time, but I was hitting the shots much more frequently now. Was able to get some combos with ease later on and figured out how to stack the multiballs. It plays somewhat fast and I think the slingshots on the machine I played were way too jacked up. Was almost sending the ball into the air each time it hit. But I really started to dig the game and liked that it had so many shots available. There also didn't appear to be any cheap drains which is a problem that you sometimes run into on AC/DC. Really enjoyed it this time and I am hoping that it'll be available at some local bars. Feels like a fun game to play while having a few beers.

While I initially liked the sound the first time I played it, I started to find some faults with it the second go around (and when I started playing different songs). Feels like they could have upgrades the speakers a bit for a music pin. And half the callouts are good while the other half sound like they are done by someone who is bored (not as bad as 24!). There also seem to be some weird glitches with the music where it'll start and stop randomly at times. I imagine they'll clean that up in future updates. In any event, the sound didn't distract much from the game and I still enjoyed it.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nurge posted:

In TPA the nudging is reversed unintentionally at least laterally, and they're probably going to make an option to switch the directions on it and make it more intuitive. If you play for a while you get used to it but it's kind of silly. I think it was mentioned in the Bobby King interview on the TPA forums.

So if the ball is heading towards the left outlane, you nudge on the left (and vice-versa)?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Duro posted:

So if the ball is heading towards the left outlane, you nudge on the left (and vice-versa)?

Yeah -- honestly always seemed intuitive to me; basically the left nudge is like slapping the left side of the machine, and vice versa

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goferchan posted:

Yeah -- honestly always seemed intuitive to me; basically the left nudge is like slapping the left side of the machine, and vice versa

I dunno man, nudging is something I've struggled with IRL and in Pinball Arcade.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It always made sense to me, at least for TPA - you nudge the pinball machine to the right by pushing on the left side. Purely virtual pinball might be different, but if you're looking to emulate physical tables...

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PS3 and Vita versions of The Pinball Arcade will be free for PlayStation Plus members in the NA region tomorrow. :toot:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

PS3 and Vita versions of The Pinball Arcade will be free for PlayStation Plus members in the NA region tomorrow. :toot:
Plug it more in the PSN Store thread, Parallax Scroll needs more victims competition. :haw:
JPelter too but I forget his goon name here.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Niwrad posted:

I hit a 4.2b on it and haven't been able to break 3b since. I did run into the camera glitch which cost me a potential huge game a week or so ago.

Speaking of TZ, I'll have one in my home tomorrow. First time I've really been able to play one since my college days. After that, I'm officially tapped out on machines for awhile. No more room for them. I'm going to be converting it to LED lights next weekend and will take some before and after pictures.

Also got a chance to play Metallica again at Enchanted Castle. I'm going to do a 180 on my earlier impressions. Maybe I was having a bad pinball day last time, but I was hitting the shots much more frequently now. Was able to get some combos with ease later on and figured out how to stack the multiballs. It plays somewhat fast and I think the slingshots on the machine I played were way too jacked up. Was almost sending the ball into the air each time it hit. But I really started to dig the game and liked that it had so many shots available. There also didn't appear to be any cheap drains which is a problem that you sometimes run into on AC/DC. Really enjoyed it this time and I am hoping that it'll be available at some local bars. Feels like a fun game to play while having a few beers.

While I initially liked the sound the first time I played it, I started to find some faults with it the second go around (and when I started playing different songs). Feels like they could have upgrades the speakers a bit for a music pin. And half the callouts are good while the other half sound like they are done by someone who is bored (not as bad as 24!). There also seem to be some weird glitches with the music where it'll start and stop randomly at times. I imagine they'll clean that up in future updates. In any event, the sound didn't distract much from the game and I still enjoyed it.

Wait wait I live near Enchanted Castle and haven't stepped foot in it since I was 9; they still have pinball? What machines?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Quad posted:

Wait wait I live near Enchanted Castle and haven't stepped foot in it since I was 9; they still have pinball? What machines?

I hadn't gone there since I was a kid either. They added over 20 machines a few months back. Pretty much every Stern since 2000. They must have a deal of sorts with them because they got two Metallica Pros a couple weeks ago. It's all in a separate room and is almost always empty. It's pinball heaven. Here is the thread over at Pinside, there are some pics scattered about,

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-pinball-machines-added-to-enchanted-castle-in-lombard-il-west-burbs

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

They also have a WOZ on the way.

Meanwhile - the HQ expansion in Chicago has announced that they have an Indiana Jones ('93), Monster Bash, and Attack from Mars on hand along with a bunch of others for their Thursday opening.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a rumor that Columbus, OH will have a barcade in the near-future that will include about ten '80s/'90s pins.

I can only dream.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

There's a rumor that Columbus, OH will have a barcade in the near-future that will include about ten '80s/'90s pins.

I can only dream.

I'm all over that.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Well, TPA pushed a 275mb update to the PS3. The only thing it changed is instead of new tables being under a new table menu, their split by "season". Whatever that means. Oh and there's new pictures on the main menu buttons.

Star Trek is still hosed, just tested it and it has all the problems it's always had. I just can't wrap my head around how a product gets shipped with flaws that aren't intermittent, and is to be run on proprietary hardware.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Starhawk posted:

Well, TPA pushed a 275mb update to the PS3. The only thing it changed is instead of new tables being under a new table menu, their split by "season". Whatever that means. Oh and there's new pictures on the main menu buttons.

They are going to start selling a "Season Pass". It gets you all the pins in a season at 40% off the normal price. Season 1 Pass comes out this friday

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PS3 and Vita versions of the season passes came out today, along with a season pass with all of the pro upgrades for $10 more.

Something screwed up for me and the Vita version of TPA is stuck in demo mode, even though I got the full version free and the PS3 version unlocked without problems. :mad: Posts on PS Blog say that this is happening for a bunch of people as well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat cracked 3 b's on twilight zone today, feelin lit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

goferchan posted:

drat cracked 3 b's on twilight zone today, feelin lit

How many wizard modes on that score?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

zoux posted:

How many wizard modes on that score?

2, and pretty close to a third. I'm TERRIBLE at the wizard mode though, I never score more than 300m or so from one.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

goferchan posted:

2, and pretty close to a third. I'm TERRIBLE at the wizard mode though, I never score more than 300m or so from one.

My best score on TZ was 6 billion. The best advice I've ever been given for Lost in the Zone is to let balls drain and actually line up shots. Flailing around gets you plenty, but if you actually aim you can clean up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Clouseau posted:

My best score on TZ was 6 billion. The best advice I've ever been given for Lost in the Zone is to let balls drain and actually line up shots. Flailing around gets you plenty, but if you actually aim you can clean up.

What shots do you line up, though? There's sooooo much going on and I have no clue what shots are most profitable.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

At that point I don't have much of a strategy, I just keep hammering any shot I can easily get. I used to be pretty good at reliably getting the magnet playfield jackpot right away.

EDIT: Essentially, anything is better than flailing all those balls around, which generally gets you mostly Greed targets and a handful of other stuff.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 22, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
As far as regular TZ play, do you prioritize getting door panels or multiballs or what? I usually just try to stack panel modes from the right ramp drop to the upper left flipper into the piano. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get the robot extra ball it also counts for the extra ball panel, right?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

zoux posted:

As far as regular TZ play, do you prioritize getting door panels or multiballs or what? I usually just try to stack panel modes from the right ramp drop to the upper left flipper into the piano. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get the robot extra ball it also counts for the extra ball panel, right?
Prioritize getting door panels and doing each of the modes well to maximize points. Getting a robot EB is it's own reward, it doesn't count toward the EB door panel.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

zoux posted:

As far as regular TZ play, do you prioritize getting door panels or multiballs or what? I usually just try to stack panel modes from the right ramp drop to the upper left flipper into the piano.

In Pinball Arcade, I prioritize going for door panels, but almost exclusively from the piano shot because the slot machine is more dangerous if you miss. On the real machine I think it's generally better to prioritize the multiball.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

What shots do you line up, though? There's sooooo much going on and I have no clue what shots are most profitable.

Chain regular multiball and powerball multiball, and get three ways for door panels and play lost in the zone whenever it pops up. Repeat till the heat death of the universe. Shots to never take: Slot machine, anything that goes into the bumpers (except powerfield since you don't have a choice), clock target, greed targets.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Starhawk posted:

Star Trek is still hosed, just tested it and it has all the problems it's always had. I just can't wrap my head around how a product gets shipped with flaws that aren't intermittent, and is to be run on proprietary hardware.

What I've noticed so far in the update:

- New menu
- Added season passes
- Tournament leaderboard is now broken
- Some people's friends leaderboards are now broken, including mine (no scores show up at all)
- No Good Gofers physics have changed
- No Good Gofers now has a "ball goes right through the flipper" bug

Great update, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
There should be a :dice: for FarSight at this point.