Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Devil Tesla posted:

Planetes, if you get all happy thinking about space.

I dunno, the main emotion Planetes inspired in me was wanting to punch the male lead in the mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blhue posted:

I dunno, the main emotion Planetes inspired in me was wanting to punch the male lead everybody in the mouth.

I may revisit it some day because obviously the point is to give them room for growth, and Eureka Seven (for instance) started out nearly as bad. But not today.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If constantly going on speeches about love or wanting a spaceship because you're basically seven is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Blhue posted:

I dunno, the main emotion Planetes inspired in me was wanting to punch the male lead in the mouth.

Outside of certain parts where you are, in fact, meant to think about punching him...I felt he was a jerk but a relatively sympathetic one.

Generally speaking, I'd say the series worked for me and it did have plenty of heartwarming moments but also others where it almost kicks you in the face.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Blhue posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I may revisit it some day because obviously the point is to give them room for growth, and Eureka Seven (for instance) started out nearly as bad. But not today.

wielder posted:

Outside of certain parts where you are, in fact, meant to think about punching him...I felt he was a jerk but a relatively sympathetic one.

Generally speaking, I'd say the series worked for me and it did have plenty of heartwarming moments but also others where it almost kicks you in the face.
Read the manga. Everything wrong with the Planetes anime isn't there. The stupid moon ninja, Ai being forced into every god drat scene, the lame third world space pod plot, the loving filler episode where the parents of some kid take him to the moon so they can have a good old fashioned family suicide because their business failed (I hated this episode so much), the massive amount of filler in general, Hachimaki being insufferable most of the time and it's better paced. The anime stretches out a part of the story that was a handful of chapters into a good third of the series.

The manga is by Makoto Yukimura who is currently doing Vinland Saga.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Guyver posted:

Read the manga. Everything wrong with the Planetes anime isn't there. The stupid moon ninja, Ai being forced into every god drat scene, the lame third world space pod plot, the loving filler episode where the parents of some kid take him to the moon so they can have a good old fashioned family suicide because their business failed (I hated this episode so much), the massive amount of filler in general, Hachimaki being insufferable most of the time and it's better paced. The anime stretches out a part of the story that was a handful of chapters into a good third of the series.

I've read the Planetes manga and happen to like both versions despite their significant differences, not all of which are negative. The anime essentially adapted the first two volumes, sometimes loosely, with additional content and keeping the main focus on Tanabe and Hachimaki. The manga had another three volumes left, in practice, since the fourth one was so large it had to be split in half and also totally shifted the focus away from those two characters in the process.

But other than the two specific episodes you've referenced (the moon ninjas and that family suicide attempt), which are definitely weak, I didn't have any huge issues with the majority of the anime original material and some of my favorite scenes turned out to be "filler" (as in not based on the manga) too. Even the parts that made me angry at Hachimaki the character did not make me hate the entire anime. That said, I definitely agree with you about also recommending the manga.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 23, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.. I will watch them. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou first because comforting is definitely what I need right now!!

thank you <3

also, I'll be watching Planetes, Tsuritama, Acchi Kochi, and Yuyushiki.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 23, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd suggest Space Bros as another comforting, slow paced thing.

Planetes has more plot and more action. I really liked the anime and didn't read the manga. I remember really liking the music in the anime, particularly the track that plays when Hachimaki is hanging on the moon.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Try the latest season and the first season of Minami-ke, it doesn't get more comforting/slice-of-life than those two.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys confirmed earlier that Robotics;Notes and Steins;Gate are connected somehow, that there were small parallels between them. Is that only in the VN and not the animes? I just finished R;N and I didn't see anything that could count as a reference or any details that would connect the two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

You guys confirmed earlier that Robotics;Notes and Steins;Gate are connected somehow, that there were small parallels between them. Is that only in the VN and not the animes? I just finished R;N and I didn't see anything that could count as a reference or any details that would connect the two.
The most overt example is that Nae Tennouji appears in both R;N and S;G. Also the Committee of 300 is referenced in all of the works in the franchise. There are probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

E: Wikipedia tells me that Daru and the other S;G/C;H characters work for Sawada against the Committee of 300, and that Daru was the one who made the virus to beat Kou Kojima. None of them had a speaking role, though. That was probably more explicit in the VN.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 23, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The most overt example is that Nae Tennouji appears in both R;N and S;G. Also the Committee of 300 is referenced in all of the works in the franchise. There are probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

E: Wikipedia tells me that Daru and the other S;G/C;H characters work for Sawada against the Committee of 300, and that Daru was the one who made the virus to beat Kou Kojima. None of them had a speaking role, though. That was probably more explicit in the VN.

Nae Tennouji... how did I miss something so blatant? I wonder how she got interested in giant robots and space when her father was a tv salesman that rented a room to a self proclaimed mad scientist that built a microwave time machine. The only real connection there is :science:. The idea that Daru works for Sawada is really cool. I wonder where Okabe would be in the midst of all this?

However, I don't remember the committee of 300 being referenced in S;G. Did they have some connection to CERN in the timeline where they take over the world?

e: Also, I think you meant Kimijima, not the Metal Gear man.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 23, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

However, I don't remember the committee of 300 being referenced in S;G. Did they have some connection to CERN in the timeline where they take over the world?
Yep. It's definitely mentioned in passing at least in the S;G VN.

E: This is kind of a derail, it might be better off in the VN thread.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic. Something along the lines of these:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey (I love this one)
Mushishi
Serial Experiment Lain
.hack//sign (Not very good)

It can have action in it, preferable kinda muted though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
A lot of the recent suggestions for slice of life qualifies for that. Particularly the Aria series. Tamayura and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee too.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic.

Lain is chill and relaxed? :psyduck:

Maybe try Spice and Wolf, Shigofumi, Bartender, and Princess Tutu.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Blhue posted:

A lot of the recent suggestions for slice of life qualifies for that. Particularly the Aria series. Tamayura and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee too.

Yeah, I have seen these as well. They were alright and Croisee allowed me to sperg a little about history.

Redcrimson posted:

Lain is chill and relaxed? :psyduck:

Maybe try Spice and Wolf, Shigofumi, Bartender, and Princess Tutu.

Lain is more on the muted melancholy than chill and relaxed. I have seen Spice and Wolf and that was kinda cool too cause I could sperg once again about trade practices in during the renaissance and trade leagues. I will definitely czech out the rest though.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 24, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anything Chiaki Konaka worked on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hmm. Sora no Woto maybe?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic. Something along the lines of these:

Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Serial Experiment Lain

Give Time of Eve a look. It's a very serene and chill short series of six 15-minute episodes.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

My heart is at ease. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is so comforting and relaxed. Thank you for recommending it. Just finished the first OVA, can't imagine why they carry guns in such a peaceful place.

Haven't had a chance to watch the others yet, drove to Indianapolis for the weekend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As much as I love YKK I didn't really care for the OVAs. It's something that definitely works best in the manga format. You should definitely give a read when you get the chance, there's a whole lot more material the OVAs don't cover.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Stravinsky posted:

Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Serial Experiment Lain

Another recommendation of Time of Eve.

Nate RFB posted:

As much as I love YKK I didn't really care for the OVAs. It's something that definitely works best in the manga format. You should definitely give a read when you get the chance, there's a whole lot more material the OVAs don't cover.
Yeah, I'm loving the manga, but I haven't checked out the OVAs yet. The art in the manga is gorgeous and really conveys a sense of peace and stillness.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I will definitely pick up the manga! Thanks again! :)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
While looking for the most recent episode of The Devil is a Part Timer, I found that Funimation has some episodes of Minami-ke on its streaming list. But only something like eight, and only really high numbered ones. I'm not sure if the show would be my thing anyway, but if I did want to watch it I would prefer to know where the rest of it is- does Funimation have the earlier episodes also or is it one of those piecemeal arrangements?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

StandardVC10 posted:

While looking for the most recent episode of The Devil is a Part Timer, I found that Funimation has some episodes of Minami-ke on its streaming list. But only something like eight, and only really high numbered ones. I'm not sure if the show would be my thing anyway, but if I did want to watch it I would prefer to know where the rest of it is- does Funimation have the earlier episodes also or is it one of those piecemeal arrangements?

They only got the newest season.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

If you're down for something with an unusual art style, Windy Tales is like those things too and was pretty overlooked, even though I'd easily rate it right alongside Aria. It has flying cats.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Recommend me a good military anime that's somewhat down to earth and realistic. Mechas are alright but no Voltron type MEGA TRANSFORM MODE GO stuff.

I enjoyed the game Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 but never watched the anime because I don't like subtitles.

So; military (ideally WW2 or something similar?), realistic, and dubbed reasonably well.

Any ideas?

Worst case scenario I'll go with subtitles.

Thanks!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Recommend me a good military anime that's somewhat down to earth and realistic. Mechas are alright but no Voltron type MEGA TRANSFORM MODE GO stuff.

I enjoyed the game Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 but never watched the anime because I don't like subtitles.

So; military (ideally WW2 or something similar?), realistic, and dubbed reasonably well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't know of anything that matches all the criteria perfectly. The only 2 that jumped to my head is FLAG (modern day but has 2 mechs in it, mechs don't transform or anything and are made to be somewhat believable). Also there's an anime called Zipang which deals with WW2 stuff but it involves time travel and I have not seen it and cannot vouch for its quality.

Also the Valkyria Chronicles anime wasn't good at all so you dodged a bullet.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know of anything that matches all the criteria perfectly. The only 2 that jumped to my head is FLAG (modern day but has 2 mechs in it, mechs don't transform or anything and are made to be somewhat believable). Also there's an anime called Zipang which deals with WW2 stuff but it involves time travel and I have not seen it and cannot vouch for its quality.

Also the Valkyria Chronicles anime wasn't good at all so you dodged a bullet.

Thanks!

I'm looking in to FLAG. Looks pretty cool. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zipang is pretty good (no clue if it has a dub or not), but seriously the answer is as always Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If you say but that's some sci-fi show, tough the answer is still God drat Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This might sound crazy, and Girls und Panzer isn't realistic at all in the big picture, but the actual tank battles (most of the show) are surprisingly convincing and exciting. Episode 4 is probably the best indicator of if you'll like the rest of the series or not.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Almost all good military anime are scifi. If you don't mind that then just read the thread title.
Almost all good military manga never got anime.

So:
Jormungand is pretty nice and about a modern PMC/Arms trader.
Girls and Panzer has very good tank battles.
Gasaraki starts out pretty realistic. Relistiv Mechas in a realistic modern army. Even though it ends up with Mechas doing magic dances to travel in time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KiddieGrinder posted:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It's a stretch, but Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood might suit this. The world setting is a military state with 1930's-40's aesthetics.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
You will never find a military themed anime as good as Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's sci-fi but manages to keep the bullshit completely in check and manages a shocking amount of realism both in the characters and in the technology. (Example: The ships are mostly equipped with lasers and they actually move in straight lines at the speed of light like real lasers.)

Beating a dead horse, I know, but it's in the thread title for a reason and aside from the technological age it's set in, it fits your request to perfection. Well, that and the subtitles. This series will likely never be dubbed or even licensed in the USA.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

Almost all good military anime are scifi. If you don't mind that then just read the thread title.
Almost all good military manga never got anime.

So:
Jormungand is pretty nice and about a modern PMC/Arms trader.

It's literally Koko the arms dealer and her band of merry men. The action scenes are generally well thought out and well executed. It's one of the reasons I liked it so much. However, it isn't that great of an anime overall, but it's still worth a watch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a stretch, but Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood might suit this. The world setting is a military state with 1930's-40's aesthetics.

Definitely a stretch. However, they definitely put a lot of thought into the military politics and it's one of the main plot drivers. That said, it's literally about magical scientist dudes called Alchemists. They did put effort into the pseudo science to make it at least sensible to some extent, but at the end of the day it's basically magic.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2013

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ok I'll check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes, dubs be damned!

ktvrxiii
Oct 14, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pumpkin Scissors is reasonably down to earth set in a alternative universe somewhat similar to pre WW2 Europe. It has been dubbed, but I can't vouch for the quality!

It's set after a world war, in a recovering country where everything is still very much run by the military. It's about the adventures of a military unit called "Pumpkin Scissors" (naturally a rag-tag band of misfits) that were formed to provide relief from the war. The story deals with state conspiracies, power games and secret specialised wartime units that now have nothing to do since the war ended.
It isn't at all gritty and realistic, but it isn't over the top either. From what I remember it was relatively upbeat, with serious bits.
Main characters are Captain whatshername - the naive but clever and strong willed Captain of the unit, and Corporal whatshisname - the silent but gentle giant who had a past with a top secret ridiculous military unit.

Keep in mind, I've only seen it once (and that was in 2007!) so it might not have stood the test of time - but I do remember enjoying it. I remember it had a catchy opening song.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ktvrxiii posted:

Pumpkin Scissors is reasonably down to earth set in a alternative universe somewhat similar to pre WW2 Europe. It has been dubbed, but I can't vouch for the quality!

It's set after a world war, in a recovering country where everything is still very much run by the military. It's about the adventures of a military unit called "Pumpkin Scissors" (naturally a rag-tag band of misfits) that were formed to provide relief from the war. The story deals with state conspiracies, power games and secret specialised wartime units that now have nothing to do since the war ended.
It isn't at all gritty and realistic, but it isn't over the top either. From what I remember it was relatively upbeat, with serious bits.
Main characters are Captain whatshername - the naive but clever and strong willed Captain of the unit, and Corporal whatshisname - the silent but gentle giant who had a past with a top secret ridiculous military unit.

Keep in mind, I've only seen it once (and that was in 2007!) so it might not have stood the test of time - but I do remember enjoying it. I remember it had a catchy opening song.

I was actually going to post this show before I saw your post. There are some iffy points, but I remember really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is sort of off topic but I wasn't sure where to ask this. Is there going to be another "best of the year" voting thread like the ones from past years? This is my first year on adtrw so I don't know much about it.

• Locked thread