Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding is that abduction missions are generated at the start of a month, which is yet another reason to not actually send satellites up until just before the report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

fennesz posted:

I'm finally getting a handle on this game but something has me a bit perplexed. I have three continents locked up with satellites but more than once I've had abduction events in countries that already have a satellite over them (I have Europe's bonus and had an abduction event in Marseilles). Is there any way to mitigate panic levels apart from deploying satellites and completing missions in these areas? Or am I just boned if I let panic rise in areas with satellites overhead?
Were the satellites active yet? Although the bonus kicks in immediately, satellites take about 3 days from launch to actually provide coverage. You can still get abductions in a country during the time between launching and getting the message saying the satellite is active.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The abduction immunity only takes effect at the start of the next month, so it's possible for that to happen. That's an obnoxious enough detail that I'm gonna add it to the OP.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'm hoping for some SDK tools. I'd kill to make some maps for this game.

Edit: In relation to the upcoming 'expansion'

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lima posted:

I've also had it happen a few times, but only when I've sent the satellite very up recently.

Yeah I noticed you can still get abductions in countries where the satellites aren't deployed and totally operational yet but I'm almost positive they were up for a while. I'm probably wrong and remembering incorrectly though.

Coolguye posted:

The abduction immunity only takes effect at the start of the next month, so it's possible for that to happen. That's an obnoxious enough detail that I'm gonna add it to the OP.

Ah, there you go. That's why. I guess there's literally no reason to deploy satellites other than an hour or two from a council report then.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Well I started my first Iron-man game on Classic difficulty. Things were going well and I got up to my first bomb mission without having lost anyone. My assault took some damage but after freaking out a bit I got him in play again but kept him at the back and ended up putting him on top of a truck when I defused the bomb. A thin man then landed on him, not next to him, on him. The rest of the team opened up and took down the thin man who reliably exploded spewing gas everywhere. My assault was then poisoned and down to one HP, he panicked and started running. Another thin man who had just teleported in then shot him and killed him on overwatch. My first man down was to a suicide bomber thin man :(

Also on the terror missions does having every civilian die matter much if you finish the level? I spent one mission being pretty much stuck at the spawn for eight turns while waves of Chrysalids charged me. I saved a few but I didn't really see any negative results.

Scapegoat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 22, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'd rather launch with 1 day to go than gently caress up and having the Encrypted Message pop up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You need to save at least one civilian to "win" a terror mission and not lose the country.

If you save more than one you can get a good chunk of panic reduction out of it, but it's not required.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Argh, I was going for the 'Complete All Research' achievement and it turns out I never interrogated a Sectoid. Is there any chance of me ever zapping one now I'm at the point of no return, so long as I just keep letting the game give me UFO landings/crashes and council missions? I can't remember the last time I saw one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

Argh, I was going for the 'Complete All Research' achievement and it turns out I never interrogated a Sectoid. Is there any chance of me ever zapping one now I'm at the point of no return, so long as I just keep letting the game give me UFO landings/crashes and council missions? I can't remember the last time I saw one.

I made the same mistake with a normal Floater :(

Regular sectoids will pop up in the final mission but I don't think capturing one will allow you to research it after you beat the game.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I always get a council mission about some cargo being move through an area that is full of sectoids. Without fail I get it when I've completed the tech tree and a single rookie could handle it. So just hang in there if you want it!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cool, good to know; thanks. I'm after some more weapon fragments so I can finish the Foundry projects so hopefully I'll see a Sectoid (and manage to not accidentally kill it) before then.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Quote-Unquote posted:

They're incredibly rare, but do appear on occasion at small scout crashes. I'm fairly certain the only autopsies/interrogations you can lock yourself out of are the outsider and sectoid commander(Phased out with plot progression)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FoolyCharged posted:

They're incredibly rare, but do appear on occasion at small scout crashes. I'm fairly certain the only autopsies/interrogations you can lock yourself out of are the outsider and sectoid commander(Phased out with plot progression)

Pretty sure you can still get groups of Sectoid Commanders late in the game. There's almost always a few in smaller UFO's.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

FoolyCharged posted:

Stunning an Outsider is required for said plot progression, so…

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
I've think I've run into a bug.

In the last two games I've tried to start the monthly funding offered by my starting country (US)has only been in the teens/low twenties. I'm not running the Second Wave option that randomises nation funding, though I am trying to run Results Driven (funding reduces as panic goes up) and War Weariness (funding goes down over time), so I'm guessing the bug is related to these? All the other nations seem to be offering normal funding (adjusted a bit if their panic is high), but the US is stiffing me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I really wish Outsiders would've went on to be a normal type of troop you fought against after you interrogate one. Seems weird that they wouldn't be.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

I really wish Outsiders would've went on to be a normal type of troop you fought against after you interrogate one. Seems weird that they wouldn't be.

Discounting the lore reason that they're tied to a UFO's control systems or some such, what would that have really added to the game?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Edgecase posted:

Discounting the lore reason that they're tied to a UFO's control systems or some such, what would that have really added to the game?

Enemy variety? One of the things that people typically complain about? There's nothing to say they couldn't have been given some additional abilities, and a more advanced version of them as the game progresses. Plus they look loving sweet.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

Enemy variety? One of the things that people typically complain about? There's nothing to say they couldn't have been given some additional abilities, and a more advanced version of them as the game progresses. Plus they look loving sweet.

I don't think a reskinned basic shooting enemy (i.e. a sectoid with better stats and no mind meld) would have done much to address "enemy variety" at any but the most cosmetic level. If they had some unique ability, sure, but that's something wholly different at that point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Edgecase posted:

I don't think a reskinned basic shooting enemy (i.e. a sectoid with better stats and no mind meld) would have done much to address "enemy variety" at any but the most cosmetic level. If they had some unique ability, sure, but that's something wholly different at that point.

I don't know why you'd assume they wouldn't be more fleshed out, but okay.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How about Outsiders having the ability to continuously spawn and despawn from crystals placed around the map? That would be cool. And they even pop in and shoot on the same turn. And the only way to turn them off is to walk on top of them and L-click.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Seconding that the outsiders should have made more appearances. They're pretty rad and when you see your first one you just immediately assume they can do so much more than they do.

Just beat my first game on normal. My volunteer had 80+ kills :smug: and then promptly died in a massive explosion :smith:

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

I don't know why you'd assume they wouldn't be more fleshed out, but okay.

Because money and developer time? Presumably the same reason XYZ other Awesome Features didn't get added to the game (or made to work correctly).

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

S.J. posted:

It's funny that you mention enemy variety. There is, in a way, more enemy variety in this remake than in the original. Of course, someone could also argue that in the original, the whole alien hierarchy, with even medics and engineers, added to the variety. Nothing like interrogating 3 sectoids and coming up with different results, depending on their jobs. That's something I truly miss from the original.

Let's hope the expansion adds lots of new and old mechanics to the game, along with new enemies. I love the new XCOM to death, but sometimes I wish it was a deeper game. Now that Firaxis has tested the water and found it inviting, maybe they'll add layers of complexity to it, like they do with the Civ games. If we're lucky, we may even see a better Geoscape and aerial battle in the future. I just played a bit of OpenXcom a while ago, and boy, the new Geoscape is just ridiculously dumbed down.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Edgecase posted:

Because money and developer time? Presumably the same reason XYZ other Awesome Features didn't get added to the game (or made to work correctly).

If we're wishlisting things we'd like to add into the game then those aren't really concerns, are they? Or do you just feel like being needlessly argumentative?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Andre Banzai posted:

It's funny that you mention enemy variety. There is, in a way, more enemy variety in this remake than in the original. Of course, someone could also argue that in the original, the whole alien hierarchy, with even medics and engineers, added to the variety. Nothing like interrogating 3 sectoids and coming up with different results, depending on their jobs. That's something I truly miss from the original.

I miss the flavorful UFOpaedia entries for sure. It would be nice to get specifics on things like alien culture or food from interrogations after the first one. But that said, I certainly don't miss having to make educated guesses as to when I have a Leader or a Commander on my hands, that was really obnoxious.

I also think that if you were to put in the specific alien jobs again you'd have to give them some crunch to go with it. Medics would have to have some sort of alien medkit, engineers would be more likely to throw grenades but with lesser aim, whatever. You could get away with random poo poo like that in the 90s, these days I think people would just ask annoying questions and it wouldn't really please anyone. I'd welcome something like that, particularly if it meant you could be dealing with more Medics and Scouts in the early months and more Shock Troopers and Sergeants in the later months to give a subtle way to turn up alien belligerence. But by the same token that's an awful loving lot of work to balance properly when there's way more things you could be doing with your time, like making the maps at least PARTIALLY random.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

They tend to show up in the council mission to protect a delivery. I had to wait about an extra 4 months to beat the game to get them to show up so I could get this achievement for the second time because the first one bugged out & was removed from my profile for some reason.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

S.J. posted:

If we're wishlisting things we'd like to add into the game then those aren't really concerns, are they? Or do you just feel like being needlessly argumentative?

I think he's just pointing out that they're not more fleshed out. If there were more of them added to the game and became a more popular enemy type this would accomplish nothing because they're underutilized possibly due to lack of development time, etc.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I miss the flavorful UFOpaedia entries for sure. It would be nice to get specifics on things like alien culture or food from interrogations after the first one. But that said, I certainly don't miss having to make educated guesses as to when I have a Leader or a Commander on my hands, that was really obnoxious.

Speak for yourself, dude. I think it was utter genius. You got to use another piece of alien technology against them (mind probe) and suddenly you were abducting their leaders. Also, with the use of Stun Bombs, you could invade bases and just mass capture the whole command centers. Not a difficult thing to do at all. The new XCOM just simplified it and I'm not saying the new game could fit hierarchy-smart abduction missions (maybe it even could), but my opinion of it is that it was awesome. And drat satisfying, too, to leave an alien base with a bunch of alien leaders captured.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 23, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stun bombs were brilliantly effective when you had a fix on the enemy you were interested in, yeah. Truthfully if they were easier to make (read: didn't require Elerium) I would've just used stun bombs exclusively in the last part of the game. Few things were quite as hilarious as having the Suicide Door Rookie run into a whole squad of aliens and KO everything in the room by blowing himself up with a stun bomb. The rookie's fine! Really! Just jack him up so bad he's using caffeine for blood, he'll come around!

What I didn't appreciate is extending the game for an extra 3-5 hours because the Leader or Commander you expected to be in the big UFO/Base you found decided to walk out of the command center and behave like a normal Soldier for some inscrutable reason, which the bastards did a lot.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

fennesz posted:

I think he's just pointing out that they're not more fleshed out. If there were more of them added to the game and became a more popular enemy type this would accomplish nothing because they're underutilized possibly due to lack of development time, etc.

This. Thank you for stating it less argumentatively than I did.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Huh, something odd popped up in Steam:

No store page, though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Welmu posted:

Huh, something odd popped up in Steam:

No store page, though.
That's been there ever since they updated XCOM's CDR entry. No clue why.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

zylche posted:

That's been there ever since they updated XCOM's CDR entry. No clue why.

It's the sequel. It's the exact same game, but only on impossible with an underwater theme

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why don't I have it? I prepurchased :(

What happens if you try and install it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We're not outnumbered; we're simply in a target-rich envrionment.

e: so this was pretty much Murphy's Alien Encounter. My heavy's rocket went off course and only took out one floater, my squad sight sniper whiffed two 71% shots, and my assault panicked after getting poisoned and unloaded his shotgun in my support's face. I made it out with only one casualty, but if I was playing on impossible it would have been a wipe.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Can aliens call for help? As soon as I peeked in the entryway of a landed abduction ship I immediately saw two sectoid commanders. Over the next few turns I reveal the rest of the room and everybody is in there. Floaters, mutons, 2 cyberdisks and a sectopod, 17 aliens all in the first room. Was it just a bug and everybody spawned in there, or did the commanders yell for help and summon everyone to the party?

KillYourKitten
Jan 22, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Can aliens call for help? As soon as I peeked in the entryway of a landed abduction ship I immediately saw two sectoid commanders. Over the next few turns I reveal the rest of the room and everybody is in there. Floaters, mutons, 2 cyberdisks and a sectopod, 17 aliens all in the first room. Was it just a bug and everybody spawned in there, or did the commanders yell for help and summon everyone to the party?

What difficulty are you playing? I think on the higher difficulty they will start to roam after a few turns but maybe not so much on lower level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Angela Christine posted:

Aliens don't call for help, you just had an unusually cramped spawn/patrol pattern.

Abductors are prone to this since there are usually aliens both inside the bridge and the room directly outside. If you landed on a map where you start closer to the bridge rather then the open end, you can run into 2-3 packs immediately.

17 aliens is kind of :psyduck: though, I don't think I ever ran into that many even on impossible in an abductor.

Edit: UFOpedia says you can have 5 packs + 2 leader units, so that would be 17 at max.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 24, 2013

• Locked thread