Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Animal posted:

You made this comment in reference to that guy being worried about his Seasonic PSU?

Never mind that the best Corsair PSU are Seasonic rebrands and the rest are mediocre.

I made it in reference to psu reliability chat in general. You can't go wrong buying Corsair stuff, whether it be PSUs or anything else. From an Australian perspective it's going to become very hard to buy a crap PSU, from October anything that isn't 80+ silver or better in efficiency will be illegal to sell. That will eliminate most of the crap on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I love Corsair, but let's be realistic: there are a lot of times you could definitely do better.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I just threw down $650 for an EVGA GTX 780 which came out today. I had the superclocked version (+$10) in my cart but it sold out before I could finalize the deal.

I hope my 1000W Antec TruePower Quattro can handle it, otherwise I'm going to be looking into a new PSU as well. (PSU uses 4x 12V rails and I had stability issues with my 5870 until I hosed with the power cables to split the load across more rails)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

w00tazn posted:

I just threw down $650 for an EVGA GTX 780 which came out today. I had the superclocked version (+$10) in my cart but it sold out before I could finalize the deal.

I hope my 1000W Antec TruePower Quattro can handle it, otherwise I'm going to be looking into a new PSU as well. (PSU uses 4x 12V rails and I had stability issues with my 5870 until I hosed with the power cables to split the load across more rails)

Considering you have the cash to splurge on a time machine to travel into the future and buy a gtx 780, purchasing a new psu shouldn't be a big deal

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133489

Welcome to the future Lord Bude. Enjoy your stay.

Has anyone tried out the new Geforce Experience thing nVidia just released? Being able to record the past 20 minutes of gameplay footage sounds really cool, but there's no way it comes without a performance hit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

:aaaaa:

I'm amazed this was released without me realizing. The internet has failed me.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Yea, gently caress it, I pulled the trigger on the 780. I feel kind of filthy for spending this much money on what is, basically, a needless luxury, but, eh, yay capitalism, I guess. Now I just have to wait for the Haswell launch so I can actually build the machine to put it in.

I think I'm going to put this 4870 (only 512mb) in a display case or something to reward it for it's many years of faithful, reliable performance.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 23, 2013

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133489

Welcome to the future Lord Bude. Enjoy your stay.

Has anyone tried out the new Geforce Experience thing nVidia just released? Being able to record the past 20 minutes of gameplay footage sounds really cool, but there's no way it comes without a performance hit.

Shadow play should have less of an impact because it's taking direct input from the framebuffer and shoving it through the hardware encoder inside of of Kepler. Should be less CPU impact as that doesn't involve software encoding like fraps does.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Yea, gently caress it, I pulled the trigger on the 780. I feel kind of filthy for spending this much money on what is, basically, a needless luxury, but, eh, yay capitalism, I guess. Now I just have to wait for the Haswell launch so I can actually build the machine to put it in.

I can take care of it while you wait, man. Send it ova'. My 7950 suddenly feels old. :(

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
20% bump over the 680 isn't selling me, but I'd be all over it if I had a 480/580. See you this time next year nvidia.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Joink posted:

On that tab it doesn't update the GPU clock speed, only shows its max setting. Under sensors it shows exactly whats going on with the card. For my card, its running at 300MHz when doing 2D.
Ah, I see. Hadn't actually used GPU-Z myself, so I thought it would be the same as CPU-Z (which does show the current, dynamic clock speed in that location). So that card is definitely hosed in some way.

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

The Shadow Play recording part of it isn't released yet, that's coming "this summer" or "late summer".

Still, it's a baller app. Being available on all Kepler based cards, not just the $650 fuckoff-expensive ones, is awesome. Finally a way to do high-quality recording that doesn't require a high-end computer.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone should just buy corsair everything and not worry anymore.

Except RAM for corporate machines, they're still trying to recommend 1.65v kits for IVB desktops without proper XMP/SPD support.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Now, I demand 680 prices go down precipitously so I can needlessly SLI it with the one I have. Yeeeeeeehaw!

Well the bastards did it, 384-bit memory bus again. (I can't be arsed, do they drop that to 256-bit on the 770, having learned some lesson from the 670/680?)

Also... Is it weird that I immediately wonder how well it all overclocks?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 23, 2013

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Agreed posted:

According to HardOCP, you can definitely overclock a 780 to be better than a stock Titan in terms of performance.

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/7#.UZ5p2ILuVEM

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh :(

Well isn't this something...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Next to the Titan you could almost call the 780 good value. :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Miffler posted:

Next to the Titan you could almost call the 780 good value. :v:

If you have enough monitor to warrant it, it almost is. At $650 for around 60% more power than a 7950 or 660 Ti it's definitely on the upward climb of the cost:performance curve, but not having to deal with the multi-GPU taxes on your power supply and the rendering itself outweigh the 780's tax on your wallet.

I suppose now that I've said that, in a couple months we'll bear witness as the 770 pulls a 670 and roundly mock people who buy the 780. Which is why we don't get hype in these threads.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Just a quick question for the well-informed: Exactly how much of a headache is it to have a Radeon 7770 as my main GPU (Which both of my monitors are plugged in to), and then jam in an old GTS 450 1GB just for physx processing? Is it even powerful enough when used only for physx to be worth it? I won't be plugging anything into it and it will be purely for simulating cloth and little bits of debris. I have a pretty decent CPU (3570K OC'd to 4.2GHz) but on the games where physx is applied like crazy and allow AMD users to offload physx to CPU (Think Metro Last Light) it seems to cause performance to tank.

I'm on Windows 8, a Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP and I've made sure I have enough power to run both at once while under load.

Thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If you have enough monitor to warrant it, it almost is. At $650 for around 60% more power than a 7950 or 660 Ti it's definitely on the upward climb of the cost:performance curve, but not having to deal with the multi-GPU taxes on your power supply and the rendering itself outweigh the 780's tax on your wallet.

I suppose now that I've said that, in a couple months we'll bear witness as the 770 pulls a 670 and roundly mock people who buy the 780. Which is why we don't get hype in these threads.

770 is just a higher clocked 680, so it won't. The 780 is the 770 to the Titan's 780 (if that makes any sense).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Agreed posted:

Now, I demand 680 prices go down precipitously so I can needlessly SLI it with the one I have. Yeeeeeeehaw!

Well the bastards did it, 384-bit memory bus again. (I can't be arsed, do they drop that to 256-bit on the 770, having learned some lesson from the 670/680?)

The 780 doesn't have the FP64 switch, though. No DP compute goodies.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm more interested in if the 760ti will have enough oomph to carry me until Maxwell hits.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nostrum posted:

I'm more interested in if the 760ti will have enough oomph to carry me until Maxwell hits.

Unless you're demanding max settings/multi-monitor goodness in most titles you'll be playing, what you have currently will probably carry enough oomph until Maxwell.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Want to see multi monitor benchmarks for the 780, if 1 of those was good enough I could save some money compared to dual 670 SLI.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

metasynthetic posted:

Want to see multi monitor benchmarks for the 780, if 1 of those was good enough I could save some money compared to dual 670 SLI.
Anandtech's review includes 5760x1200, which is three 1920x1200 monitors. This is also very similar load to two 2560x1440 monitors.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alereon posted:

Anandtech's review includes 5760x1200, which is three 1920x1200 monitors. This is also very similar load to two 2560x1440 monitors.

Thanks, somehow I couldn't find this. Doesn't look like 1 alone is quite enough and 2 is definitely out of my budget. Looking forward to seeing benchmarks on the 770 / 760.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So just out of curiosity, would a GTX 780 run on my Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU alongside an i5-3570 (not overclocked)and a couple of hard drives?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Guni posted:

So just out of curiosity, would a GTX 780 run on my Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU alongside an i5-3570 (not overclocked)and a couple of hard drives?

Absolutely. The only reason for PSUs higher than 600W or so is for SLI/CF setups.

e: Okay, stated with more confidence than I should have given my knowledge level. That said, it'll work.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 24, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Guni posted:

It'll work, but that's a lower-end power supply and you're pushing it pretty hard, so expect higher noise levels and temperatures. Definitely upgrade power supplies if you consider overclocking.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Alereon posted:

It'll work, but that's a lower-end power supply and you're pushing it pretty hard, so expect higher noise levels and temperatures. Definitely upgrade power supplies if you consider overclocking.

It is? I thought it was a decent power supply. gently caress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alereon posted:

I don't see how his setup can possibly go over 350 watts, the 780 doesn't draw that much power. Anandtech's system with an i7 overclocked to a nutso 4.3 ghz barely broke 400w, and TR's more normal setup was just over 300.

I don't know how a 60-70% load is pushing pretty hard, and I also can't see how a decent seasonic is a lower-end PSU.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Klyith posted:

I don't see how his setup can possibly go over 350 watts, the 780 doesn't draw that much power. Anandtech's system with an i7 overclocked to a nutso 4.3 ghz barely broke 400w, and TR's more normal setup was just over 300.

I don't know how a 60-70% load is pushing pretty hard, and I also can't see how a decent seasonic is a lower-end PSU.

Yeah, I backpedaled above from my initial enthusiasm, but this is pretty much what I was wondering as well. Even if the 780's TDP is 250W, I wasn't clear on how that setup was tapping out that PSU without any overclocking.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can my GT620M or HD4000 GPU output 4K over HDMI? Laptop in question is an Asus UX32VD. The Asus spec page says the 'port?' supports HDMI 1.4. Not sure about the GPUs.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only at 30FPS, software support for that refresh rate might be very difficult too. I was looking at that super cheap 4K screen until I discovered that limitation of the HDMI spec.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
All my content will be 24fps video so I think I'm covered there. The 1.4 spec on wikipedia only lists 24fps anyway at 4K.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Is 4k really a thing for laptops now? When i first heard about it for tv's, it seemed like it only was worth it for the super sized screens.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm psyched for it to come to normal sized screens and give nicer DPIs. The ~100 DPI we've been stuck on for so long needs to go and we're starting to get single videocards that can easily handle resolutions above 2560x1600 now so the time feels right.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

I'm psyched for it to come to normal sized screens and give nicer DPIs. The ~100 DPI we've been stuck on for so long needs to go and we're starting to get single videocards that can easily handle resolutions above 2560x1600 now so the time feels right.

If you are using multiple display on windows mixing 4K and non-4K displays, you get to choose between having 150~200% dpi scaling on the lower res monitor and make everything cartoonishly huge, or using the 4K display at eye-squinting resolution.

Because seems like there are still no individual dpi settings for multiple displays in windows :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alereon posted:

I'm not planning on a 780, but out of curiosity would I be in the same boat with a M12II 620 and an over clocked 3570k?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Joink posted:

Is 4k really a thing for laptops now? When i first heard about it for tv's, it seemed like it only was worth it for the super sized screens.

I'd rather have it on a laptop than a TV.

Text rendering on a high DPI display is much more beneficial than things like TV and movies.

I really want my nexus 10 screen in a similarly sized ultrabook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.
Quick question: Would anyone know how much GPU overhead (if any) SLI uses?

I'm wondering if my SLI GTX 580 Super overclocked cards are working faster than a single GTX in the games I play. I have a dual monitor setup - 30" primary 2560x1600 and a 24" 1920x1200 on its side secondary.

I keep MSI Afterburner running and watch it while gaming and notice when games push the cards above 50%. Does that mean I'm running beyond the performance of a single GTX 580? Or is there some amount of overhead affecting the numbers?