Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only part of Sleeping Dog's story I didn't like was how he goes from being barely-alive from brutal torture back to walking death machine in the span of minutes. I just thought that bit could've been done better as something like having him sneakily escape in his barely-alive state, have some time pass with him recovering in hospital, and use that as the setup for the final angry rampage of revenge! :black101:

Aside from that bit, I loved the game.

That part of the game was pretty heavy on retrospective, so hearing a bit of chatter from doctors about how many people had been dying (maybe by your hand), or sticking you in the room where Uncle Po was with some reminder of him or some such would have been pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

muscles like this? posted:

So CoJ:Gunslinger is a pretty cool game. One thing that's neat is that the game has a dynamic narrator that says stuff based on what you do (kind of like Bastion.) Also since the game is done in the style of a story the main character is telling he messes with reality based on criticisms from his audience.

I'm really diggin' it too, even though I only got to play around with it for a little bit. Also, the guns so far have some good sound behind them and that always gets me going.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Small piece of advice for anyone going for the Sleeping Dogs platinum - triad xp is actually quite a bit trickier than the others to max out, so it may be an idea to wear clothing that boosts it. I finished with most missions between 2.5 and 3 triangles of triad xp, and I was still half a bar away from maxing it out. Replaying missions to get tiny gains wasn't a lot of fun.

Agreeing with all the positive reviews, great game all round. PS+ is fantastic.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I'm liking Gunslinger, too. It's not quite Bound in Blood and there are some rather minor features that I miss from BiB (Like the variable quality on weapons, shops, etc.) but it's a really cool game with a neat storytelling mechanic. The early area where you run across a stagecoach and get surrounded will probably be burned in my mind for a while because that's when I first realized what the game was going for with the whole narrator thing and I thought it was really cool: You slowly get surrounded by more and more enemies on the cliff faces above you, the narration starts talking about how retreat is your only option - you start to look around but can't see anywhere to retreat to, keep shooting a few guys, then the narration chimes in again to mention that you found an escape route, you turn around and the cliff face slides apart to reveal a small cave that you could slip in to. It's cooler in action than it sounds from my description.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The upgrades in Gunslinger are also really cool. At the start, it's just regular shooting dudes, but that just makes you appreciate it more when you're running around like a maniac with two six-shooters, then switch to a rifle in order to take a guy down with a slow-motion headshot. It's just very satisfying and fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I like to think that the narrator is really embellishing just how many guys are gunning for him just because he's telling his story to an audience. Gives a reason for why you're just shooting scores of dudes :)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

HampHamp posted:

Small piece of advice for anyone going for the Sleeping Dogs platinum - triad xp is actually quite a bit trickier than the others to max out, so it may be an idea to wear clothing that boosts it. I finished with most missions between 2.5 and 3 triangles of triad xp, and I was still half a bar away from maxing it out. Replaying missions to get tiny gains wasn't a lot of fun.

Agreeing with all the positive reviews, great game all round. PS+ is fantastic.

I found a good tip to grind triad xp. Walk up to a pedestrian and grab them then toss them with R2. They will get mad, try to hit you and you counter. You get XP for the counterattack.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

I like to think that the narrator is really embellishing just how many guys are gunning for him just because he's telling his story to an audience. Gives a reason for why you're just shooting scores of dudes :)

Oh, absolutely, the game is completely unrealistic, but rather than me going "Pssh, look at this trying too hard bullshit", I realize that I'm playing a story being told in a saloon by an old dude, and then I realize "Of COURSE I'd tell people that I dove out a window and shot five guys in the head before I'd even hit the ground".

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I'm liking Gunslinger, too. It's not quite Bound in Blood and there are some rather minor features that I miss from BiB (Like the variable quality on weapons, shops, etc.) but it's a really cool game with a neat storytelling mechanic. The early area where you run across a stagecoach and get surrounded will probably be burned in my mind for a while because that's when I first realized what the game was going for with the whole narrator thing and I thought it was really cool: You slowly get surrounded by more and more enemies on the cliff faces above you, the narration starts talking about how retreat is your only option - you start to look around but can't see anywhere to retreat to, keep shooting a few guys, then the narration chimes in again to mention that you found an escape route, you turn around and the cliff face slides apart to reveal a small cave that you could slip in to. It's cooler in action than it sounds from my description.

This actually sounds really awesome. Think ill give it a try :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man, I'm doing the mine level of Gunslinger and the whole bit where you go through the first entrance to the mine, fail and then he rewinds the story back to before you even go in to go a different way was so cool.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

How does Gunslinger perform on PS3? I just checked out a trailer and the game looks gorgeous, but all the trailers and promo material is for the Xbox 360 version which has me wondering if the PS3 version looks/runs worse?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

How does Gunslinger perform on PS3? I just checked out a trailer and the game looks gorgeous, but all the trailers and promo material is for the Xbox 360 version which has me wondering if the PS3 version looks/runs worse?

It performs just fine. There's a little wonky-ness in regards to transparencies with plants BUT playing CoJ:The Cartel on the 360 that game had the same problem.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn now has a release date set for August 27th. I can't wait! :woop:

Regular version is $40.
Collector's Ed. is $80. And oh my god, it has a lot of cool stuff I need.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn now has a release date set for August 27th. I can't wait! :woop:

Regular version is $40.
Collector's Ed. is $80. And oh my god, it has a lot of cool stuff I need.

Ya I'm not falling for that again, picked it up on PC when it first came out. I am waiting for a million good reviews, it to be cheap and with no monthly fee. So probably never.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
One of the weirder points of Sleeping Dogs for me is that they chose a non-Cantonese-speaking actor for Wei Shen. The lead guy. Whose bio says he was chosen as such an important cop in America because he could speak Cantonese. In the end they got some Korean-American guy.

Then they have the amazing James Hong, whose bio says he speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin, as Uncle Po and he breaks out neither. Even during his interaction with the Cantonese-only Mrs. Chu, he sticks to English. Obviously a real triad syndicate would be all Cantonese, with maybe Wu or Min among the old-timers and we have to shift most of the dialog to English for the American audience, which they pull of pretty convincingly. Winston's voice actor even takes a crack at Cantonese, but he's obviously not a native speaker. I really wonder why they had the main guy go all-English. Not even Firefly-style cursing.

:china:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, I was wondering about that. Koreans, Chinese, it's all the same to the mainstream American audience right? Why not throw some Japanese and Vietnamese voice actors in there while you're at it?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
But it doesn't even matter since we don't see the actor :psyduck: the only important part is that he can pull off the dialog (language) convincingly. It could be a white dude. Named Bloodnose, for example.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Region-locking makes me loving rage. Persona 4 Arena with ALL the DLC is right there for $28 and I can't get it. gently caress you, Atlus.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I know games like to do it but I found it really weird in Sleeping Dogs where they would slip in random Cantonese phrases in the middle of the English. AC2 did a similar thing. I played AC2 completely in Italian and every once in a while I would just see an Italian word, followed by a translation, show up in the subtitles and it looked very silly.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

But it doesn't even matter since we don't see the actor :psyduck: the only important part is that he can pull off the dialog (language) convincingly. It could be a white dude. Named Bloodnose, for example.

Wei's face is actually that of his voice actor, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I know games like to do it but I found it really weird in Sleeping Dogs where they would slip in random Cantonese phrases in the middle of the English. AC2 did a similar thing. I played AC2 completely in Italian and every once in a while I would just see an Italian word, followed by a translation, show up in the subtitles and it looked very silly.

I thought about mentioning that and kind of passed earlier, but yeah it bugs me when games do this. I know it would've hurt the popularity or accessibility or something if the game went all out and had everything in cantonese, but I really would've preferred it a bit more if they stuck to a language. Just stick to english or cantonese if that's what you're gonna do, most everything being in one with random bits of the other there to "spice it up" feels odd.

I dunno, I'm one of those people who just really enjoys games that use the language of their setting. My immersion :qq:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I thought about mentioning that and kind of passed earlier, but yeah it bugs me when games do this. I know it would've hurt the popularity or accessibility or something if the game went all out and had everything in cantonese, but I really would've preferred it a bit more if they stuck to a language. Just stick to english or cantonese if that's what you're gonna do, most everything being in one with random bits of the other there to "spice it up" feels odd.

I dunno, I'm one of those people who just really enjoys games that use the language of their setting. My immersion :qq:
The language quirks in the Assassin's Creed games are actually explained as glitches in the Animus' translation software. They even occur less frequently in subsequent games as the software gets updated. It's a neat touch despite the fact that the Animus is a completely superfluous story element in the series.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

The language quirks in the Assassin's Creed games are actually explained as glitches in the Animus' translation software.

It's a cute justification, but I still never liked it because all too often it made the dialogue reek of bad fanfiction.

"Why, Assassin-san, ohayou! You're looking very sugoi (ed. note: sugoi means cute) today!" except in a more poetic language.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stelas posted:

It's a cute justification, but I still never liked it because all too often it made the dialogue reek of bad fanfiction.

"Why, Assassin-san, ohayou! You're looking very sugoi (ed. note: sugoi means cute) today!" except in a more poetic language.
And there are a lot of inconsistencies in it to boot. I appreciate the effort, though. The most hilarious ones are when in AC2 Ezio spouts a huge line in Italian and the translation plays out for the next 10 seconds in parentheses.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Region-locking makes me loving rage. Persona 4 Arena with ALL the DLC is right there for $28 and I can't get it. gently caress you, Atlus.

Region-locking how? If it's just not available on your version of the store, you could always hit up someone in the game-share thread to grab it for you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Region-locking how? If it's just not available on your version of the store, you could always hit up someone in the game-share thread to grab it for you.

Persona 4 Arena is actively region-locked, as in it will not run on a console of a different region. Atlus apparently did this so that the Japanese version could be price-fixed high while still forcing Japanese people to buy it rather than the functionally identical US version. Europe got shafted in the crossfire thanks to a tremendously delayed localisation.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stelas posted:

Persona 4 Arena is actively region-locked, as in it will not run on a console of a different region. Atlus apparently did this so that the Japanese version could be price-fixed high while still forcing Japanese people to buy it rather than the functionally identical US version. Europe got shafted in the crossfire thanks to a tremendously delayed localisation.

Yeah, this. Persona 4 Arena is one of like two PS3 games that actually checks your hardware and refuses to work I'd the console isn't an American model.

They also don't mention this at all on the purchase page, likely knowing that they can get extra sales from people who are technically breaking the EULA by making a foreign account and thus can't ask for a refund. Assholes.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I should try that sometime. That sounds really fun. I wonder if I can have Revelations in Arabic or whatever language they are supposed to speak in that game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the voice acting was so good in Sleeping Dogs that it didn't bother me when people who obviously don't speak Cantonese (Winston) would try it. Wei Shen's VA in particular was just fantastic. As far as "Orientals are all the same!", well, games/tv/movies constantly cast British people as Americans and vice versa, so what's the big deal? :shobon:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

precision posted:

As far as "Orientals are all the same!", well, games/tv/movies constantly cast British people as Americans and vice versa, so what's the big deal? :shobon:

Thaaaat's a whole hell of a can of worms opening. Outside of the offensive "Asians are all the same" statement itself, some asian peoples will be less than thrilled being equated to another group of asian peoples that they have bad history with. One that comes up once in a while is people equating the Chinese with the Japanese, which is hosed up for a few reasons, but as you can imagine doesn't exactly ring well with the people being fed that kind of stupid statement.

I think I misread what you were saying though, because re-reading I'm not sure where I got the point for most of that from.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 24, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Odds are they auditioned for the role though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Liar Lyre posted:

I should try that sometime. That sounds really fun. I wonder if I can have Revelations in Arabic or whatever language they are supposed to speak in that game.

It was pretty rad, I recommend it highly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Odds are they auditioned for the role though.
Yeah, I guess they probably had to make a choice between a good voice actor and a voice actor who can speak the language natively, and chose the former.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I guess they probably had to make a choice between a good voice actor and a voice actor who can speak the language natively, and chose the former.

Well, besides that I also mean that the Korean guy knew the role was Chinese when he auditioned too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm really digging the voice acting in Sleeping Dogs, based purely on liking the way the VAs sounded I guess. Related to that, I think the lip sync is really good. Weird thing to notice, but I was watching somebody talk and was like "wow, lip sync technology has come a long way from the random poo poo it was not too long ago"

e. and I always switch games into their "native" voice setting if I can. Persona 3 thankfully had pretty good voice work, but normally in games like that, first thing I do is switch to Japanese because of how unbelievably dorky English VAs tend to sound in games like that. I really should've played AC2 in Italian, too. Maybe Brotherhood...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's a The Last of Us gameplay live stream about to happen!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I took a break from my Pinball Arcade addiction to actually play Demon's Souls. :holymoley: Started with a hunter, bumbled my way through the palace and managed to take down Phalanx. I know I'm years late, but I'm hooked. Gotta go find the thread and the wiki...I've got Sleeping Dogs waiting, too, but DS is calling out to me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Static Rook posted:

I took a break from my Pinball Arcade addiction to actually play Demon's Souls. :holymoley: Started with a hunter, bumbled my way through the palace and managed to take down Phalanx. I know I'm years late, but I'm hooked. Gotta go find the thread and the wiki...I've got Sleeping Dogs waiting, too, but DS is calling out to me.

Try reading as little as possible unless you have a specific question about the way a particular mechanic works. Demon's Souls is best played unspoiled.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I don't want to spoil anything with that game. I am super stoked as the release is so close. I saw the TV commercial at the gym and was like :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Try reading as little as possible unless you have a specific question about the way a particular mechanic works. Demon's Souls is best played unspoiled.

That's true to a point, but Demons Souls is kind of an obtuse game and part of the fun of the Souls series is engaging with the community and figuring stuff out/learning from those who went before you.

• Locked thread