Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Bruc posted:

I am looking for a turn based strategy game similar to fallen enchantress but....good. I like the game to a certain extent and like that it has more involved battles than Civ which is the most similar game to it I have played. Bonus points for customizable "Hero" units that are actually good, also I am not very good at this sort of game so anything that has crazy difficulty would be bad.

Basically a civ style game with a larger combat focus that is relatively recent would be great, rpg elements especially appreciated.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane is literally a fantasty-themed Civ V, it's entirely combat/spellcasting focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Davoren posted:

Anyone know any good PC games with a heavy focus on exploration? I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the parts in between gunfights, where you're just poking around in these cool places looking for resources are really enjoyable to me. I get the same thing from games like STALKER and Bioshock when there's no enemies around, and RPGs like Deus Ex when you're in like a hub area or something and you just rob everyones house. There's probably not a game built around this kind of thing, but maybe there's another game I haven't tried yet that also contains a lot of this stuff.

Morrowind was practically purpose built to be the ultimate "exploring cool places and finding all kinds of rad poo poo everywhere" experience. All the Elder Scrolls game are like this really, but Morrowind just has something about it that really takes this element of the game over the top.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'll second (or third, or fourth) that Morrowind recommendation. The island is pretty small but it is PACKED with weird stuff.

I'm looking for a PC game that plays like older Zelda titles or something along that vein: open-world action adventures with dungeons and exploration and decent active combat. I really don't want/need flashy graphics or anything. If only 3D Dot Game Heros had a PC port....

I'm honestly really surprised that there doesn't seem to be a company out there releasing yearly LoZ:LttP knockoffs for a few bucks each.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is 3D Dot Game Heroes any good anyway? I bought it back when it was released and returned it when hitting the very first enemy caused the game to freeze. I forgot all about the game, and I figure it has to have been patched at some point.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ryoshi posted:

I'll second (or third, or fourth) that Morrowind recommendation. The island is pretty small but it is PACKED with weird stuff.

I'm looking for a PC game that plays like older Zelda titles or something along that vein: open-world action adventures with dungeons and exploration and decent active combat. I really don't want/need flashy graphics or anything. If only 3D Dot Game Heros had a PC port....

I'm honestly really surprised that there doesn't seem to be a company out there releasing yearly LoZ:LttP knockoffs for a few bucks each.

Dark Souls is honestly the closest I can think of in terms of that feel, but it's closer to LoZ than it is to LttP and of course it's all in 3D with totally different combat. Darksiders 1 and Chantelise crib pretty hard from 3D Zelda, but unfortunately I have a hard time coming up with stuff just the same as LttP.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Is 3D Dot Game Heroes any good anyway? I bought it back when it was released and returned it when hitting the very first enemy caused the game to freeze. I forgot all about the game, and I figure it has to have been patched at some point.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty great but definitely flawed in parts. I never got much further than the first dungeon, though, because the 'key item' I had just gotten was useless outside of a few specific objects and I was sick of switching to it or watching the animation or something any time I wanted to open a door. I don't know, my memory is kind of hazy. It also had a sense of humor that was great for about ten minutes and then got kind of stale.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Dark Souls is honestly the closest I can think of in terms of that feel, but it's closer to LoZ than it is to LttP and of course it's all in 3D with totally different combat. Darksiders 1 and Chantelise crib pretty hard from 3D Zelda, but unfortunately I have a hard time coming up with stuff just the same as LttP.

Yeah, I'm actually playing Dark Souls on PS3 and Darksiders on the PC right now (not very far in either, Dark Souls because I'm terrible and Darksiders because I just got it yesterday). Dark Souls is really pretty much what I'm looking for, but I wish there was something available that had that kind of depth and exploration potential but not the soul-destroying difficulty.

It's really funny to say you think DS is more LoZ than LttP, though, since that's how I sold one of my friends on the game. It's just you, a weapon, and an entire world of crap that wants to kill you, with a handful of hardly-useful NPCs.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Ryoshi posted:

Anodyne is a LttP clone, I'm not very far in to it but it comes highly recommended from the Steam thread.

Darksiders was a clone of the 3d Zeldas, if you're in to that. The first one was an underappreciated gem, the second one tried some new stuff like random loot but it didn't manage them all that well, it's still a good game but the first was more true to the formula.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rollersnake posted:

I liked it a lot. And yeah, it did get patched, which if I recall right fixed some freezing issues and made one of the time trial minigames actually beatable by humans.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm looking for a good online FPS and since I've been out of the loop for so long, I'm turning to this thread. For me, the platonic ideal of a good online shooter is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory; free, reasonably but not ridiculously fast-paced, objective-based teamwork where individual skill can still make a difference, active community, passable graphics, and no meta-leveling (in other words, I would like for maps/campaigns to be self-contained and I don't care about gear or items or anything like that). It doesn't have to be a recent game, and of course it doesn't necessarily have to be free either. Any suggestions?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

I don't know, I thought it was pretty great but definitely flawed in parts. I never got much further than the first dungeon, though, because the 'key item' I had just gotten was useless outside of a few specific objects and I was sick of switching to it or watching the animation or something any time I wanted to open a door. I don't know, my memory is kind of hazy. It also had a sense of humor that was great for about ten minutes and then got kind of stale.

Yeah, I'm actually playing Dark Souls on PS3 and Darksiders on the PC right now (not very far in either, Dark Souls because I'm terrible and Darksiders because I just got it yesterday). Dark Souls is really pretty much what I'm looking for, but I wish there was something available that had that kind of depth and exploration potential but not the soul-destroying difficulty.

It's really funny to say you think DS is more LoZ than LttP, though, since that's how I sold one of my friends on the game. It's just you, a weapon, and an entire world of crap that wants to kill you, with a handful of hardly-useful NPCs.

It doesn't have a soul destroying difficulty. You should just play it with the same attitude you would when playing an NES game. Once it clicks that you can't just mindlessly hit buttons and win it's pretty manageable.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
I'm in need of something that I can play consistently but casually, preferably slightly competitive with a good community.

I used to play a lot of Starcraft, but I never had the time or dedication to get very good, but I still enjoyed it. Unfortunately I found it almost too frenetic and never picked up HotS due to becoming addicted to League of Legends. I still play a good bit of LoL, but now I find myself frustrated by the toxic community the game has. If my team is losing, at least two people are screaming at each other in chat. If we're winning, the other team is screaming "REPORT ______" in all chat. Not to mention that while I'm a casual player, when I play with some RL friends they can get into the same try-hard mentality and I've had to quit Skype calls mid-game due to them reverting to manchildren over stupid poo poo. I'm not going to bicker with my friends I've had for years over ward placement and engaging in a team fight. I just want something chill and slightly competitive that I can play solo or with a decent community of players.

I don't have any consoles anymore, so this is PC only.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
maybe try Dota 2? I played Dota, got beta for HoN and LoL, after playing those 2 I can say that Dota > other mobas. Dota 2 is currently in beta, and sometimes it's extremely annoying to get non-english speakers (drat russians!) in your game, but for the most part the community is fine and the game itself is very good!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm looking for a good online FPS and since I've been out of the loop for so long, I'm turning to this thread. For me, the platonic ideal of a good online shooter is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory; free, reasonably but not ridiculously fast-paced, objective-based teamwork where individual skill can still make a difference, active community, passable graphics, and no meta-leveling (in other words, I would like for maps/campaigns to be self-contained and I don't care about gear or items or anything like that). It doesn't have to be a recent game, and of course it doesn't necessarily have to be free either. Any suggestions?

Have you tried Blacklight: Retribution? It's a free to play FPS but the grind isn't too bad and the gear you start out with is more than enough to start killin' fools. Not pay to win either unless you want to skip the wait period on gear. Once again, the gear is not super essential. There's a thread for it (haven't seen it drop below page 3) and it helped to sell me on the game. It's free to play so what have you got to lose but at the same time, give it a chance before you play for 30 min and then toss it. I'd link the thread but I'm on a mobile right now :/

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy

JadaX posted:

maybe try Dota 2? I played Dota, got beta for HoN and LoL, after playing those 2 I can say that Dota > other mobas. Dota 2 is currently in beta, and sometimes it's extremely annoying to get non-english speakers (drat russians!) in your game, but for the most part the community is fine and the game itself is very good!

I've definitely been meaning to give DotA 2 a shot, but almost everything I've heard is that what the game lacks in screaming manchildren it makes up for in the tryhards that will constantly berate you for not adhering to the latest and greatest pro-level meta play. Granted, I've never given the game an honest shot so I'll give it a run.

Also, I'm not looking specifically for another MOBA/RTS, just anything that I can play casually to kill time and maybe get moderately good at competitive play with. I used to play a ton of TF2 and can still hold my own but I can't keep up with the tons of hats/weapons/other items that are in the game now. Whenever I hop on I still use vanilla weapons most of the time, and I will give the game a ton of credit for ensuring that they're still viable.

Only thing I can say that I'm truly not looking for is an MMO. After sinking ungodly amounts of time in WoW from Vanilla to Cata and briefly working for an ill-fated MMO developer, I want to wash my hands of that genre forever.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I don't think you can play DotA 2 casually, it's really not that kind of game. Admittedly I only played one game of DotA 2 ever (I was Lich and went 0-17 in K/D,) but that helped me understand the game enough to realize that I'd have to put serious time and effort into it to even be passable. I think it might be literally my last choice for a casual co-op game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can still play casually but still put in the effort to learn about the game.

DOTA2 has a much smaller community than League and I generally find it has, overall, a better community (~1.5k games of LoL and 900 of DOTA 2 under my belt). Don't get me wrong, I've called people scrubs, I've been called a scrub, but it's not every single game like LoL was.

It's probably a bit tougher than League to learn, similar hero pool size, some heroes with micromanagement, some with more than 4 spells, larger map...But if you vest a little time in learning the game even just by reading FAQ's/tutorials, you can play casually (a game or two a day) and still have fun.

In other news, I'm looking for something to replace my DOTA addiction :(. I love the game, but it's really awful when I'm like, "Well I've got an hour to kill before I go to my stupid job" and then get in game with some raging asswad and now I'm just mad before going to work.
I bought BioShock infinite, never beat it. The Dishonored DLC, barely touched it. Same with Blood Dragon. I love the BioShock series, Dishonored was easily my favorite new IP in a very long time and Blood Dragon is funny but it's just a reskinned FC3. I really don't even know what I'm looking for, some RPG that's not too overwhelming to pick up, but has a ton of depth if you want. Don't give a single gently caress about story.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 21, 2013

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Don't anyone know of any games along the lines of The Settlers 3? Production chain gameplay with some rts elements.

I have played the some of the Anno series (mainly 1404 - Dawn of Discovery in the US) but haven't tried the later Settlers, are they any good? From what i've seen of them they seemed to take a different sort of path. Plus the fact that Settlers 7 has the terrible drm scheme.

I'd love an indie take on this sort of game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bruc posted:

I am looking for a turn based strategy game similar to fallen enchantress but....good. I like the game to a certain extent and like that it has more involved battles than Civ which is the most similar game to it I have played. Bonus points for customizable "Hero" units that are actually good, also I am not very good at this sort of game so anything that has crazy difficulty would be bad.

Basically a civ style game with a larger combat focus that is relatively recent would be great, rpg elements especially appreciated.

You could try Warlock, I suppose. It tries very hard to ape the Civ V aesthetic, but it does try its own things and has some interesting fantasy/rpg additions which you may appreciate.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

You could try Warlock, I suppose. It tries very hard to ape the Civ V aesthetic, but it does try its own things and has some interesting fantasy/rpg additions which you may appreciate.

I've looked into warlock some and might pick it up, however I was really hoping with something with more RPG elements. I really liked how I could have a handful of named hero units I could gear out and set abilities for in Fallen Enchantress, though the game overall just felt a bit "off" to me.

E: Heroes of Might and Magic VI looks like it could fit these criteria well, does anyone have experience with that game?.

E2: Actually I picked up sins of a solar empire: rebellion to give space 4x games a shot since it's on the steam sale today.

Bruc fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

tehspiekguy posted:

I've definitely been meaning to give DotA 2 a shot, but almost everything I've heard is that what the game lacks in screaming manchildren it makes up for in the tryhards that will constantly berate you for not adhering to the latest and greatest pro-level meta play. Granted, I've never given the game an honest shot so I'll give it a run.

Dota 2 is pretty good about its matchmaking for the majority of the playerbase - your first few matches have a significant effect on your (hidden) matchmaking rating, so it won't be long until you get to a point where you have matches you can win. And unlike LoL where all the characters have a very rigid role and lane setup that the developers enforce through punishment, Dota 2's characters all have multiple roles and lane setup is flexible across all skill levels that you'll generally have fun doing whatever you want as long as you aren't screwing someone else over.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Does anyone know of any good business sim games along the lines of Aerobiz or Capitalism II? Even an updated Aerobiz that allowed me to buy real world planes would be awesome.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bruc posted:

I've looked into warlock some and might pick it up, however I was really hoping with something with more RPG elements. I really liked how I could have a handful of named hero units I could gear out and set abilities for in Fallen Enchantress, though the game overall just felt a bit "off" to me.

A bit older, but Warlords: Battlecry 2 (or 3) (for an RTS) or Warlords 4 (for TBS) let you do this and are still pretty good.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Bruc posted:

E: Heroes of Might and Magic VI looks like it could fit these criteria well, does anyone have experience with that game?.

E2: Actually I picked up sins of a solar empire: rebellion to give space 4x games a shot since it's on the steam sale today.

Heroes 6 six was pretty bad when I played, don't know if the patches have made it any better. If you haven't definitely play Heroes 3 and 5, they are amazing, and definitely some of the best turn based strategy rpgs out there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Have you tried Blacklight: Retribution? It's a free to play FPS but the grind isn't too bad and the gear you start out with is more than enough to start killin' fools. Not pay to win either unless you want to skip the wait period on gear. Once again, the gear is not super essential. There's a thread for it (haven't seen it drop below page 3) and it helped to sell me on the game. It's free to play so what have you got to lose but at the same time, give it a chance before you play for 30 min and then toss it. I'd link the thread but I'm on a mobile right now :/

Thanks, I'll check out the thread if I can find it.

Does anyone know about online, cooperation-based games with active goon clans (other than EVE Online)? It must be a pleasant experience to play one of those and not be in a random clan where half the members are fourteen-year-olds or complete idiots.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A good deep preferably more open than linear RPG along the lines of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thanks!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bruc posted:

Another one to look at is the Age of Wonders series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

It doesn't have a soul destroying difficulty. You should just play it with the same attitude you would when playing an NES game. Once it clicks that you can't just mindlessly hit buttons and win it's pretty manageable.

I know, I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls and loved it and just haven't been able to sink the same amount of time into Dark Souls yet. I'm just bitter, I'm currently stuck floundering around looking for the next bonfire.

This is less of a recommendation and more of a question but - is there any way currently to legally acquire an English version install of Ever17? I really liked 999 and have heard it's got a lot of similarities. Last I heard the company was out of business, but I don't know if anyone bought their properties for distribution after that.

E: VVVVV Darn, that's what I was afraid of. At least it looks like the price has dropped considerably since the last time I looked, but I really still don't feel like shelling out >$45 for a used copy of a game that I'm not even sure will work on my computer.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 23, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ryoshi posted:

is there any way currently to legally acquire an English version install of Ever17?

Nope, not unless you want to pay a whole bunch for a copy on Amazon.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Rather a request for my dad than myself, he asked me if I could recommend any games to him. We used to play Toejam & Earl, PGA Tour Golf 2, Sonic, Lemmings and the like together, but I think that was mostly for my benefit, so my area of expertise is pretty dry in stuff that would suit him. The games I remember him playing were Elite on the Atari ST and Civilization 1 (also the Atari version) so I only know that my best bet is to find him a 4X game. Unfortunately, I am loving awful at 4X games and have no idea what the good ones are, what's even available and what will play on a low-end PC. Any tips?

E: He also played Farmville for a while but I think that was more out of boredom at work than anything else. He liked the organising, I believe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Rather a request for my dad than myself, he asked me if I could recommend any games to him. We used to play Toejam & Earl, PGA Tour Golf 2, Sonic, Lemmings and the like together, but I think that was mostly for my benefit, so my area of expertise is pretty dry in stuff that would suit him. The games I remember him playing were Elite on the Atari ST and Civilization 1 (also the Atari version) so I only know that my best bet is to find him a 4X game. Unfortunately, I am loving awful at 4X games and have no idea what the good ones are, what's even available and what will play on a low-end PC. Any tips?

E: He also played Farmville for a while but I think that was more out of boredom at work than anything else. He liked the organising, I believe.
If he likes Civ, Civs 4 and 5 are both good candidates. I'd suggest the latter though because its more accessible, the new expansion pack comes out in less than two months too which should improve the game even more.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Presuming he likes builder-type games, Patrician IV Rise of Dynasty. And maybe even a simpler game like Eufloria.

Patrician is mainly a trading game where you can build factories to sell goods and houses and eventually build your own city - after you work up to it. It's not very taxing on a computer, either.
Eufloria is much more chill, laid back strategy game where you "grow" seeds and send them to attack enemies to take over their colonies. Its almost Risk-like but without the dice and more focus on paper-rock-scissors combat.

e: The Anno series is pretty good too. Anno 1404 would run on an older system and is great for the city-builder resource-management type in all of us.

Setset fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 22, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I've been playing a lot of Napoleon: Total War and I realized that I want to try out a deeper strategy game. I've played MegaMek (an online Battletech) and a few other slightly more strategic games (like the Civ series).

What Napoleon era games would be out there that are a step up (strategically or tactically) from the Total War game? I could even do Civil War era, but that doesn't really hold my attention.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Xandoom posted:

A good deep preferably more open than linear RPG along the lines of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thanks!

There's the oft-repeated recommendation of Dark Souls, though I think Divinity 2: Developer's Cut will follow your examples a little more.

If you're ok with venturing into the realm of sci-fi and shooting, Fallout 3/NV and the STALKER games are great open world games, though STALKER games tend to force the story on you.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

SquadronROE posted:

So I've been playing a lot of Napoleon: Total War and I realized that I want to try out a deeper strategy game. I've played MegaMek (an online Battletech) and a few other slightly more strategic games (like the Civ series).

What Napoleon era games would be out there that are a step up (strategically or tactically) from the Total War game? I could even do Civil War era, but that doesn't really hold my attention.

While I know nothing about it, I'm currently installing the demo for March of the Eagles. It's like a lighter Europa Universalis style game. Still Napoleonic era, but probably much deeper.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Xandoom posted:

The aforementioned Divinity 2 is good, but the Gothic series of games fits better IMO. The third is the most open-world but also the weakest of the trilogy. There's also Risen which is basically Gothic 4. (The official Gothic 4 is crap and not worth playing) Risen 2 is substantially weaker.

Also semi-joke suggestion: the Two Worlds games. They're janky as gently caress but really fun if you go into them with the right mindset. There's nothing quite like using a whirlwind spell make the corpses of 15 of your enemies spin around you at high speeds, bludgeoning everything in your path to death. (and adding their corpses to the pile)

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

There is no mindset possible for enjoying two worlds 2, unless your mindset is "I'm determined to pretend to like this for 4 hours before the game itself forces me to stop with its game-breaking bugs"

Gothic 2 gold though is the correct answer to the man's question, it's still one of the best open world RPGs of all time.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SquadronROE posted:

March of the Eagles is probably your best bet at this stage.

If you want something a little more grognardy check out Commander: Napoleon at War

There are some heavy grognard games like Crown of Glory, Les Grognards, the John Tiller games and Napoleon's Campaigns, but they are pretty hardcore, have poo poo UI and best avoided.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

There is no mindset possible for enjoying two worlds 2, unless your mindset is "I'm determined to pretend to like this for 4 hours before the game itself forces me to stop with its game-breaking bugs"

What, really? I played through the whole thing without encountering any bugs at all. It wasn't a wonderful game but it wasn't terrible either. First one was definitely better for laughs though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

If he likes Civ, Civs 4 and 5 are both good candidates. I'd suggest the latter though because its more accessible, the new expansion pack comes out in less than two months too which should improve the game even more.

Civ V is very resource intensive for what it is though. 4 might be okay. Only buy the base game and Beyond the Sword. Warlords is just a scenario pack if you have BTS.

If he doesn't mind fantasy, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is excellent and available on GoG.com (all of the AoW games are good. Shadow Magic has the random map mode though.) There's also the classic Alpha Centauri if he wants to go more scifi.

EDIT: \/ AC has some similarities to Civ, but it's also got a lot of its own quirks (good ones) and a heck of a lot of personality.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mokinokaro posted:

Civ V is very resource intensive for what it is though. 4 might be okay. Only buy the base game and Beyond the Sword. Warlords is just a scenario pack if you have BTS.

If he doesn't mind fantasy, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is excellent and available on GoG.com (all of the AoW games are good. Shadow Magic has the random map mode though.) There's also the classic Alpha Centauri if he wants to go more scifi.

Alpha Centauri is basically Civ 1 in space, right? I have it on disc somewhere but never played it; I could totally lend him that if I dig it out!