Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

Because claiming that a movie has 'absolutely zero drama' based on a trailer's scant few glimpses at the plot and disregarding it entirely because of that is really stupid and doing stupid things is a bad idea.

I will admit, my initial post was unclear. I will preface every post I make on the subject of The Wolverine with "This is my subjective opinion based on the pre-release materials (trailers, production stills, etc) and may or may not hold true when the final film is released"

Will that make you happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You could just stop posting dumb stuff instead.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

jivjov posted:

I will admit, my initial post was unclear. I will preface every post I make on the subject of The Wolverine with "This is my subjective opinion based on the pre-release materials (trailers, production stills, etc) and may or may not hold true when the final film is released"

Will that make you happy?

I'm aware it's your subjective opinion based on the trailer, you'll perhaps noticed I included a reference to this fact in my post.

I think it's fine to have an opinion of a trailer and anticipate issues with a film in advance because of that, I think it's really stupid to declare something utterly without drama because of plot quibbles without having actually seen the plot.

r.e. 'The Wolverine', I think the fact that they're embracing what's always been kind of a strange part of the character's history and attempting to do it some sort of justice is kind of cool. I was never big into the 'Wolverine in Japan' stuff in the comics, but it's a good choice for a story to adapt and some of the imagery looks interesting, albeit somewhat hokey.

I'd like to see how stuff like a giant, metal samurai fighting Wolverine in a crazy laboratory plays out on screen.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 22, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Hollis posted:

It's kind of weird that their tying this in with Xmen last stand cause that film was not only not good but was made in 2006 which was 9 years ago. They're making a huge plot point of the film being him broken up over Jean's death but the movie it was in was 9 years ago. That doesn't make sense to me.

Like has he just been grieving and being homeless for 9 years since her death if it follows the same time line or is a few years after or what?

It's so confusing.

The X-men films were always set in the "near future", so Wolverine being set only a few years after X3 isn't much of a leap.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I got the impression that he doesn't accept the offer and that little ambush in the garden is them surprise injecting him with the mortality serum or whatever. He didn't travel to Japan to become mortal, he travels because some crazy rich dude but a lot of effort into finding him and is promising a 'gift' and he doesn't exactly have anything else going on with his life at that moment.

Hollis posted:

made in 2006 which was 9 years ago.

Good math there.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
In actual comic news, instead of weird arguments, Ronan the Accuser is rumored to be the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy. There's also a bit in the article about Rhino, but it's not that interesting?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ronan? Krees? Supreme Intelligence? He's a hero last I knew so perhaps this will be more complicated than just outright villain. Perhaps lead into Kree - Skrull war? Captain Marvel?

EDIT: Oh. I guess I should have read the article which they already speculate on the same.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
To be fair, being mortal and able to grow old is different than taking the vaccine and literally dying of metal poisoning minutes later.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's like two hundred years old, would he even last long enough to get poisoning from the metal?

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Travis343 posted:

He's like two hundred years old, would he even last long enough to get poisoning from the metal?

If someone had a mutation that kept them young and it was suddenly removed, I would think they would just start to age naturally from that point rather than instantly get cancer and melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Buddington posted:

If someone had a mutation that kept them young and it was suddenly removed, I would think they would just start to age naturally from that point rather than instantly get cancer and melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

Last Crusade would have been a better reference, as the guy does actually age to death in that one.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, uh, Quicksilver is going to be played by Even Peters(Never Back Down, American Horror Story) in Days of Future Past.

https://twitter.com/BryanSinger/status/337643722953080832

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

omg chael crash posted:

So, uh, Quicksilver is going to be played by Even Peters(Never Back Down, American Horror Story) in Days of Future Past.

Ooooo, if there was intention to use Quicksilver and Wanda in the Avengers then I wonder if this was Fox going "Nyet! We first! Ours!"

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It would be funny if we got two versions of Quicksilver, one in X-Men and one in Avengers.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Wonderful. Leave it to Fox to be petty about the dumbest poo poo. Obviously it worked out great for X-Men 3. And yes, I'm totally jumping the gun on this one.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It is clearly a spite move this far into filming DOFP

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Officer Farva posted:

Wonderful. Leave it to Fox to be petty about the dumbest poo poo. Obviously it worked out great for X-Men 3. And yes, I'm totally jumping the gun on this one.

I'm not exactly the most informed about the timeline of actually creating a full length film, but didn't Whedon only drop hints about wanting to add Quicksilver and Wanda into Avengers 2 a couple of weeks ago? If Singer is actually casting him, wouldn't the writing/contract negotiations/etc have to have been ongoing well before that?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I'm really happy about that, mostly because I like Peters and want him to be successful.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Green Bean posted:

I'm not exactly the most informed about the timeline of actually creating a full length film, but didn't Whedon only drop hints about wanting to add Quicksilver and Wanda into Avengers 2 a couple of weeks ago? If Singer is actually casting him, wouldn't the writing/contract negotiations/etc have to have been ongoing well before that?

Maybe it's a bit part and Fox told Singer "Do this poo poo." and Singer got on the phone and was like "Hay, dude. How'd you like to make $1,000,000 for 3 days work? Come on down the street!" and the guy was all "Sounds great! Agent, sign the deed." and it's like a contract written on a paper napkin. "You are Quicksilver. Here is $1,000,000 for 3 days work. And all the donuts you desire in this timeframe."

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I hope they come up with even a decent 'speed' effect for QS. I don't know if I've ever seen a superspeed person look normal. Understandably it is by definition unnatural but has anyone ever made it look good on screen?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Supreme Allah posted:

I hope they come up with even a decent 'speed' effect for QS. I don't know if I've ever seen a superspeed person look normal. Understandably it is by definition unnatural but has anyone ever made it look good on screen?

I like the really cheap effect where you just speed up the footage of the guy running. It looks really goofy in comic books anyway and hey, that's what someone running super fast would look like and I'm cool with that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Supreme Allah posted:

The Matrix comes to mind.

Also, I like the basketball scene in X2, but I know that's weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Supreme Allah posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

The glimpses you get of Superman dashing about in the Man of Steels trailer look solid - and it's plausible that Zack Snyder could figure out how to make the unbelievable look good - so hopefully he cracked that nut and people can just crib off him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Officer Farva posted:

I'm with you. It's Fox and an X-Men movie, so nobody will tell me differently that this is a desperate attempt to bite on Marvel's coattails just because they can.

If they really wanted to use Quicksilver (and Scarlet Witch), they had 5 movies to do more than an extremely brief cameo before Whedon started throwing names around.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whoa, check out the landscape zoom effects at 1:19 and then check out Flash doing the same thing at 0:47. Just an inspired animation trick or were they familiar with the Wizard?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I'm with you. It's Fox and an X-Men movie, so nobody will tell me differently that this is a desperate attempt to bite on Marvel's coattails just because they can.

If they really wanted to use Quicksilver (and Scarlet Witch), they had 5 movies to do more than an extremely brief cameo before Whedon started throwing names around.

Yeah but Evan Peters owns so it's okay.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omg chael crash posted:

Singer deleted the tweet and reposted it without the Avengers hashtag. Wonderful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wolverine is the worst superhero because he stabs people and then the blood on his claws is drawn into his body when they retract.

I don't care if he has a 'healing factor'; he may as well press feces into his knuckle wounds. He is gross and bad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wolverine is the worst superhero because he stabs people and then the blood on his claws is drawn into his body when they retract.

I don't care if he has a 'healing factor'; he may as well press feces into his knuckle wounds. He is gross and bad.

Hey there fellow Wolverine disliking buddy.

I'd rather have super speed be taken from more of a jumper perspective. Like that trick in Star Trek where Picard does his maneuver making the enemy think his ships are in two places at once. From the perspective of the ordinary person the individual "flashes" in and out of existance. At one point he is a frozen image on contact to a person and then next BAM he explodes in front of you after connecting with a punch. Like he's jumping through space - time. If you show it from the Flash's perspective then it's others are terribly slow while he's moving at regular speed. Otherwise from slower motion he's a blur of red and you can't make out his motions.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lobok posted:

Whoa, check out the landscape zoom effects at 1:19 and then check out Flash doing the same thing at 0:47. Just an inspired animation trick or were they familiar with the Wizard?

An almost identical trick occurs in Yellow Submarine, which was released years before and animators would probably be more familiar with. The crescendo from "A Day in the Life" plays over it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Hey there fellow Wolverine disliking buddy.

I'd rather have super speed be taken from more of a jumper perspective. Like that trick in Star Trek where Picard does his maneuver making the enemy think his ships are in two places at once. From the perspective of the ordinary person the individual "flashes" in and out of existance. At one point he is a frozen image on contact to a person and then next BAM he explodes in front of you after connecting with a punch. Like he's jumping through space - time. If you show it from the Flash's perspective then it's others are terribly slow while he's moving at regular speed. Otherwise from slower motion he's a blur of red and you can't make out his motions.

@3min first thing I thought of

http://youtu.be/EANZ8K2307c#t=3m

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's some more info on the Quicksilver situation from Hitflix

quote:

The thing is, Bryan Singer has designed a sequence that he feels only works with Quicksilver, and Joss Whedon feels that there is a pressing reason for Quicksilver to show up in "The Avengers 2," and so what we're going to see is a legally-negotiated stand-off in which we'll get two totally different versions of one character. While they may act like things are amicable in public, HitFix sources say otherwise.
Want More...
The Avengers?

Singer has just cast Evan Peters as Quicksilver for "X-Men: Days Of Future Past." He's shooting first, so presumably, he will win the showdown in terms of being the first to define the character on film. Marvel has larger plans for the character, though, and wants to use him for more than just one action sequence. The way the arrangement works, Marvel Studios cannot refer to the character as a "mutant," and they can't mention Magneto at all. Likewise, Fox can't make any reference to The Avengers in their film.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-are-fox-and-marvel-having-a-showdown-over-x-men-and-the-avengers-2#yXouvC7bbzpsQGbX.99

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
See, this is why Marvel should really go with the messed up incest versions of those characters. That way someone in the movie can make a comments about them having "freak mutant babies" if they were to have kids, and Marvel can have the last laugh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, if it's true and Fox is using Quicksilver in one action scene just to be the first to use him and to stick it to Marvel that is some really petty poo poo. The fact that they're already filming and just cast the part a bit after it was rumored he's going to be in Avengers 2 is amazing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wolverine is the best because he has Ninja + Samurai + CIA + Canadian CIA + WW2 Paratrooper + SHIELD + whatever else trainings, and he has 100 years of drunk street bawling experience, and he has an unbreakable skeleton (literally unbreakable, Hulk can't break it in 616), plus he bangs literally every hot chick and every bad guy respects the poo poo out of him.

None of that was sarcasm, Wolverine is the best comic book super hero.

How awesome is it that, despite all tropes and expectations, HE was carrying on Xavier's legacy because Cyclops was weak enough to succumb to Magneto's BS.

Cyclops: "A BUNCH OF MUTANTS DIED!"

Wolverine: "..yeah but all sorts of people die. We gotta maintain. Remember what Chuck used to..."

Cyclops: "gently caress THAT I'M GONNA PISS AND CRY AND TURN HEEL."

Wolverine: "..."

In conclusion, Wolverine is a land of contrast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quicksilver as already in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, you guys.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Wow, if it's true and Fox is using Quicksilver in one action scene just to be the first to use him and to stick it to Marvel that is some really petty poo poo. The fact that they're already filming and just cast the part a bit after it was rumored he's going to be in Avengers 2 is amazing.

It's such a good indication of a film's quality when the end product is partially the product of spite.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

TheJoker138 posted:

Wasn't he in Last Stand as well sort of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

We know, but that's like saying Scarlet Witch was already in X-Men 2 because she was listed on Stryker's computer (so was Quicksilver). It was just a cameo to fill the background with.

• Locked thread