Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Roach Warehouse posted:

"Dependent
Effect: The pilot’s sense of self-worth is overly influenced by the opinions of others. They must
choose one person and, if their opinion of the pilot is ever negative, the pilot takes a -10 to all rolls
for 1d5 hours and must choose a new person to become dependent on."

I have some reservations about this, especially considering most of the other players are new to tabletop gaming and have to learn all the existing rules. Can I get some second opinions on this?

No. Please, for the love of the Diabolist, no. There so many better ways to do this. Here's three that spring to mind immediately.

1) Make the dependency a Background. You have (Relationship Name) +4. That's a huge bonus. Heck, it's half your skill pool! When the skill checks start showing up, you will be DESPERATE to find some way to link those skill checks back into that relationship all the ever-lovin' time.

2) Move one or more of your Icon dice to that person. On a 6, that relationship is helping you. On a 5, the person is manipulating you or the 'negative opinion' causes you grief. This will also make the people on whom you are Dependent recurring NPCs by necessity.

3) Use a running Fear effect. If the person on whom you are Dependent is angry at you and you're under (level x 10)(?) HP, you are dazed and lose access to the Escalation die.

(3) is not nearly as good as (1) or (2) in my opinion but if your DM really feels the need to penalize, that's a better option than what was previously suggested. And Mr/Mrs Roach Warehouse's DM - if you're reading this, remember: The carrot is always better than the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

No. Please, for the love of the Diabolist, no. There so many better ways to do this. Here's three that spring to mind immediately.

1) Make the dependency a Background. You have (Relationship Name) +4. That's a huge bonus. Heck, it's half your skill pool! When the skill checks start showing up, you will be DESPERATE to find some way to link those skill checks back into that relationship all the ever-lovin' time.

Damnit Ryven. Why did you have to invent a great mechanic for tying the little sister of our group's barbarian in mechanically?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

2) Move one or more of your Icon dice to that person. On a 6, that relationship is helping you. On a 5, the person is manipulating you or the 'negative opinion' causes you grief. This will also make the people on whom you are Dependent recurring NPCs by necessity.

This mechanic works amazingly well for one of my PC's, far better than what I was planning on. I hope you don't mind me stealing it? ;)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Hey Wade, did Pelgrane get any takers for 13th Age sessions? I didn't get in to your game and am very sad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet: a pretty good review of 13th Age on Forbes.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 21, 2013

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
Fellis - Steal away!

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

Hey Wade, did Pelgrane get any takers for 13th Age sessions? I didn't get in to your game and am very sad.

Drag! Yes, some GMs have stepped forward and volunteered. Two of them have committed to at least one slot, and the other two will get back to us once they've figured out their con schedules. Once we have the GM schedule firmed up a bit more we plan to submit more events through the Gen Con system. We're also looking into Games on Demand as an option. Either way we'll announce when and where you can find games.

That blew us away. Not only does Erik Kain want to play again, he wants to run a 13th Age campaign. I'm not sure I could ask for a better outcome. (Aaron R., aka @wolfSamurai aka Phelanar ran the demo for him via Hangout and did a fantastic job.)

Also, the interview with Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet is embedded at the bottom of the article. I chime in briefly to talk about the Kickstarter, which Rob hilariously describes as "dumb." We didn't know the video would be made public so you get to see Rob and Jonathan being themselves instead of being onstage.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is this the sort of game that would benefit from a character builder program and if so is there one in the works?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Jackard posted:

Is this the sort of game that would benefit from a character builder program and if so is there one in the works?

It would, but it would need to be more freeform than the D&DI one. I've been working on one in my downtime, which I have almost none of, when it is ready I'm going to talk to pelgrane to see what's kosher to make available/what isn't.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
The publisher has said that they want to have a character builder eventually and that it will likely be free.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
I got in one of the 13th Age games at GenCon that Wade is running! Really excited to get to play the real deal 13th Age

Are we going to get the Core book before GenCon? Will I be book-shamed at the table? :saddowns:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Oddly enough, today's session wound up involving no fighting at all. I've compensated by planning some MURDERMODE battles for next time.
I never used published settings outside of 13th Age's, but I have to admit the roster of Icons and locations makes it pretty easy to improv some conspiracies and drama. Next time, the party is crashing a celebration held by a dwarf who they suspect murdered his father and tried to frame druids for it. Note that the group attempting to mingle with a high society party includes a homeless barbarian, a man with a pumpkin for a head, and a bear.

I'm not sure who it will be, but I bet somebody is going to get thrown off a penthouse terrace.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It won't be Kordelia. As a 2nd level rogue with a 3rd level move due to pre-levelup, she has ultimate mobility.

She has:
*A once-per-battle teleport (since she's a high elf)
*Tumbling Strike (which gives her a 75% chance of getting out of being cornered)
*Roll With It (Take half damage from physical attacks) and
*Redirect (spend momentum and redirect an attack for half damage).
*Swashbuckling (which gives the player carte-blanche to pull something crazy out of their rear).

Of course, her HP and AC are both less-than-optimal, so she needs those tricks.

I don't mean any offense when I say that 13th Age is kind of "neutral" to non-combat sessions. The mechanic is better than just "Roll Diplomacy" (since people used Being a Bear, Running a Foodbank and Being a Lawyer to solve social problems), but there isn't a huge crunchy backbone there.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It may be me, the bear. :ssh:

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
A homeless barbarian who grew up in high society before running away from home. I might get by.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Planning some monsters. I've artfully redacted the entries so that theoretically my players could look at them. I figure I can mix and match these four dudes into coherent encounters.

Mysterious Monsters of Mystery

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lets be serious, the loud mouthed pumpkin headed "comedian" will probably get booted off the balcony onto his monocle

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Syntaxed posted:

I got in one of the 13th Age games at GenCon that Wade is running! Really excited to get to play the real deal 13th Age

Are we going to get the Core book before GenCon? Will I be book-shamed at the table? :saddowns:

Awesome! Which one - Deathless Gulch or Deep Gnome Rising?

God, I hope you get the core book before Gen Con. It's up to the printer now.

Speaking of which, pre-orderers may want to check and see if something new's been added to their order pages.

And if it has, pre-orderers on this forum may want to look at the credits page.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

waderockett posted:

That's loving great! Also, because the playtesters are listed alphabetically by first name, I'm after Mikan and that amuses me for some reason.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

That is the greatest thing.

Also I'm choosing to believe that the three references to "evil masterminds" are referring to me.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Oh hey, I just wrote up a review for 13th Age myself (though not nearly as well-written as Forbes, of course). You can read it here!

Congrats on the final layout! I can't wait to get the physical book in my hot little hands.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So, we just had our first session, and it was dope as hell. One of us is gonna toss up a recap later but I'll at least say that the flexibility of the fights allowed for a fun as hell wrestling match :)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Hurray! Final rules!

Aw, I guess there was some other reason for the Barbarians to not get their chapter in the layout drafts besides "they're working feverishly to spice up the class". Oh well, now I'll just have to wait until the multiclassing rules come out. I'm counting on you guys to make them work well! Depending on how you do the Druid, that might also fill my need for "character that can be complex most of the time, but has a big 'MURDERMODE' button where they can toss that aside and wreck a dude".

The Sorcerer's Spell Frenzy comes close, but I like my wrecking-a-dude to be done mano-a-mano.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

kidcoelacanth posted:

So, we just had our first session, and it was dope as hell. One of us is gonna toss up a recap later but I'll at least say that the flexibility of the fights allowed for a fun as hell wrestling match :)

Not only that but a couple of our relationship rolls came through in some excellent ways. In my case, I turned over a firework I'd lifted from some pirates to see that it had the Diabolist's symbol on it, meaning it was powered by a trapped imp soul and let me knock the nearest guy flying across the room into his friends.

Then during Kidcoleacanth's match he was handed a Crusader-brand folding chair which was immediately put to amazing use.

Aside from that I'm finding the cantrip mastery Wizard feature pretty useful so far. I'm definitely getting a lot of use out of the ability to light fires at will, and early on I caused a cattle stampede with ghost sound to help us flee from some guards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

rantmo posted:

That's loving great! Also, because the playtesters are listed alphabetically by first name, I'm after Mikan and that amuses me for some reason.

I guess that means I'm after you on that same row. :tinfoil:

This is really cool, and the layout looks much cleaner than the first time I saw it!

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

Aw, I guess there was some other reason for the Barbarians to not get their chapter in the layout drafts besides "they're working feverishly to spice up the class".

We released the layout drafts earlier than planned because we wanted to give pre-orderers something that would make the fire-caused delay not suck so badly. The class sections weren't really baked at that point.

I didn't say anything when you first raised that possibility because there was always the chance that Rob and Cal were doing some last-minute tinkering that I didn't know about.

PublicOpinion posted:

Depending on how you do the Druid, that might also fill my need for "character that can be complex most of the time, but has a big 'MURDERMODE' button where they can toss that aside and wreck a dude".

Or the Chaos Shaman! Of which I still know nothing. But it sounds like it could be a complex class with a MURDERMODE button?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Wade, please don't do this to me. I can't get my hopes up about the Chaos Shaman again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The greatest trick the Chaos Shaman ever pulled was convincing the world that he exists.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

waderockett posted:

Or the Chaos Shaman! Of which I still know nothing. But it sounds like it could be a complex class with a MURDERMODE button?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvBZzSSRyF0

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In order to truly play a Chaos Shaman, you must ensure that no one at the table is aware of any of the class's features, powers, or related details.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

OmniDesol posted:

In order to truly play a Chaos Shaman, you must ensure that no one at the table is aware of any of the class's features, powers, or related details.

This is my game's sorcerer. Last time he vomited knives of frozen blood and he assures me it was all rules-legal.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What book is the Chaos Shaman going to actually be in now?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Confining it to paper would disrespect the true ideal of the Chaos Shaman.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

The Chaos Shaman's character sheet consists of a handful of dice, a glass of water, a donut, a cockroach, and a D-cell battery.

Dec 26, 2012

Really, there's a little Chaos Shaman in all of us.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Two questions after running tonight:

1) I've been running really short sessions of 13th Age, because I've been doing it as a casual experiment with the system. The problem is that the icon rolls tend to pile up faster than I can integrate them in; maybe it would be better to roll for the adventure as a whole? I like doing it every session, but it makes it very hard to include every last one.

2) The +1 / +1 / +1 to attributes at levels 3, 6, and 9 - one of my players is complaining that basically that saddles you with odd attributes that aren't much good, and I have to agree - if you maximize at the start, you basically get nothing at 9th level, and if you don't maximize, you're waiting 9 levels to see the fruit of your labors. Neither sounds good to me; it feels like it might be better to slip in one extra increase somewhere in there.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

1) I've been running really short sessions of 13th Age, because I've been doing it as a casual experiment with the system. The problem is that the icon rolls tend to pile up faster than I can integrate them in; maybe it would be better to roll for the adventure as a whole? I like doing it every session, but it makes it very hard to include every last one.

I had my players roll at the start of the first session, but there were enough unresolved rolls at the end that I carried the same set over into the next session. I think enough have been used now that I'll have them generate a fresh batch of rolls next time; I think the number of players you have will influence how often you need new guiding Icon rolls just as much session length.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

2) The +1 / +1 / +1 to attributes at levels 3, 6, and 9 - one of my players is complaining that basically that saddles you with odd attributes that aren't much good, and I have to agree - if you maximize at the start, you basically get nothing at 9th level, and if you don't maximize, you're waiting 9 levels to see the fruit of your labors. Neither sounds good to me; it feels like it might be better to slip in one extra increase somewhere in there.

I've gone over the whole book and I can't find anything where odd ability scores matter other than the thing in the quote. It makes me think, why not just drop the scores entirely and do everything directly to the modifiers? So for point buy you'd start with 6 -1's and 14 points to invest on a table like this one:

Cost Modifier
8 +4
5 +3
3 +2
2 +1
1 0
0 -1

Racial and class bonuses all become +1 instead of +2. And that's nearly it. The only question left is how to redistribute the ability bonuses you get for leveling up. Maybe just make it +1 to two mods each time instead of +2 to 3 abilities. This potentially gets you a bigger overall bonus to your mods depending on how you would have optimized your abilities in the current rules, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

I say all this because two of the players in my campaign were really needlessly confused by abilities when creating their characters. One of them just told me he literally would not have been able to complete his character sheet without help because of this one thing. And meanwhile it doesn't seem to have any purpose outside of that. So it would be great to see it gone.

Edit: Realized after finishing this post that I haven't addressed rolling your abilities. Maybe for each ability roll Xd8 and subtract 4 from the highest one?

Heavy Zed fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 24, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, the +1 to 3 stats seems to be there largely for the occasion where you rolled stats, so might wind up with odd stats where you almost certainly wouldn't do it on purpose. Without the stat prereqs for feats (this is good), they seemingly stripped out just about the last place where the actual stat mattered in 4e. I know in General Ironicus' LP game they replaced the 4/8 stat boost with +2 to 2 stats (effectively +1 to the stat mod), with you being limited to raising the same stat only twice.

Anyway, here's part 1 of session 2 of Glitterhaegen Nights, the investigation session:

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Death to ability scores, eh? Not exactly a new sentiment around here.

Honestly the cranky fucks faction in RPGs is not a small group, and you have to at least pay lip service to them if you want to sell anything in this industry. We can all just be glad that this service comes in the form of, 'pointlessly obtuse mechanics,' and not the original plan, 'some classes get to live less interesting lives because they're jocks.'

• Locked thread