Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The enormous gulf evident between my play through of this area in the demo and that shown here has convinced me I have no business playing this game for realsies. :smith: That said, I might try to plough through it in easy mode when the price comes down at some point (if it's been a success then maybe a Platinum release?).

The stop-reverse-start editing is a pretty cool touch, kudos for that. Fights are so quick in this game it doesn't really extend the game ridiculously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't worry about you not being as good as Chip at the game or letting that distract you from buying it if you wanted to. I've platinumed the game and can honestly say that even when you feel like you've mastered the game, you still have moments where you mess up horridly and play badly and I'd bet Chip has those too.

Once you understand the basics, which Chip is doing really well at showing, Revengeance does an excellent job of building up the players skill and making them into an excellent player naturally.
It's not like Devil May Cry 3 or 4 where becoming a truly excellent player required a lot of hard work and dedication, it's a much more natural learning curve.
Price wise, the game is already very cheap over here in the UK. You can get it for around £20 at many places. The UK retail market is famously good for prices bombing however.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The thing I really like about Blade Wolf is how his colour scheme ties in to the Peace Walker AI Pods, right down to the red parts being lit up. It's a nice touch.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Aurain posted:

Once you understand the basics, which Chip is doing really well at showing, Revengeance does an excellent job of building up the players skill and making them into an excellent player naturally.
In fairness, I went through the demo not even being aware of the concept of parrying. I'm amazed I managed to beat the Wolf boss - pretty sure it took all the health items I had. I don't think I even knew about aiming for the spines of normal cyborgs for health...

quote:

Price wise, the game is already very cheap over here in the UK. You can get it for around £20 at many places. The UK retail market is famously good for prices bombing however.
It's a little more expensive than that around here (since Gamestation went under I'm left with GAME and Grainger Games). I'm on a budget and have a backlog already, but this LP looks to be enough to have a crack at it at some point in the future. :v:

Edit: VVVVVV Will do, didn't know about those sites.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 25, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I would avoid the brick and mortar stores unless they're independently owned (as they often offer games considerably cheaper) and keep an eye on the various deals and cheap gaming websites. I shan't get into too many details because it's not massively on topic, but maybe keep an eye every now and then on something like Cheap Arse Gamer, Hot UK Deals or Gamecrawler, general price aggregating sites to see if it hits a price you find agreeable.

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.

Schwarbage posted:

"How? By spilling coffee all over the enemy? Hehehehe."

Raiden's dorky :iceburn:s are wonderful.

You can say the burns were-

electrical

-in nature.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

James Totes posted:

If Raiden actually gets a robot dog that'd be rad as hell.

Maybe it could be like Rush and also function as a hoverboard so that Raiden can kickflip into action sequences.

I wish - actually, in Vanquish, an earlier Platinum title, initially they had plans to include a robotic dog as a companion (Casshern being a major influence on that game) - Sadly, that idea got scrapped pretty early on, but it would be pretty baller if Raiden was able to get a chainsaw kitty sidekick for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6W8YJhPNFo

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 25, 2013

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

There was actually a way to get the mgs4 Raiden body for free for a little while. Unfortunately thanks to my schedule, I was never around to get a code in time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Man, I'm loving the away team. Kev, Boris and Doktor are all amazing. Though I am shocked you guys didn't comment on the reason Kev cuts off his briefing. As far as I can tell, it's because he farted and Boris was mad about the smell.

Actually, it's because he tells Raiden to "keep an EYE out" for Jetstream (that name's SO beautiful, BTW) Sam, and Boris just winces when he hears that. Kev catchen on and ends the call before things get even more awkward.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Pneub posted:

Serious question: Did did anyone who's ever played this not try to hit the cat their first time through?
Missed it first time through, but on my second run, as soon as I saw it this went through my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zij8vHtGzlk

Seriously this is probably my favourite action game, I haven't played a lot of them but the codecs (can't wait to hear all the ones I missed), the characters, some really funny details and of course "Lightning Bolt Action" really make this an awesome package.

Glass Jesus
Jun 3, 2011

Kuru Seed posted:

You can say the burns were-

electrical

-in nature.

I have to say the willingness of some to descend into puns is shocking to say the least.

On topic I'll be sitting in the camp of people eagerly awaiting the PC port while quietly sobbing.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
It still awes me how much game, and of what quality, Platinum was able to produce in such a short time frame. Even given how many assets that Kojima&Co provided, it's still crazy that they put out a proper A-grade action title in what? Two years?

The fact it's done very well for itself has hopefully guaranteed a sequel, this time with a full budget and development time. And it will be glorious.

Also, Chip, now that we've seen enough for it to not be spoilers: when will you be showing the "hardest fight in the game"? Anyone who's played this knows what fight I'm talking about, I hope... It took me more attempts than the final boss my first playthrough on that difficulty.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You can stealth kill Gekkos? Of course you can. Should have realised that probably, you can do it to practically everything else. Also grenades can be ridiculously broken at times. Especially a sort we haven't seen yet.

And Blade Wolf rules. So much.

The soundtrack to this game is so loving great. :allears:

Oh, forget it, I'm gonna go play this for a bit.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

greth posted:

It still awes me how much game, and of what quality, Platinum was able to produce in such a short time frame. Even given how many assets that Kojima&Co provided, it's still crazy that they put out a proper A-grade action title in what? Two years?

Having recently started playing Vanquish, I think they took a lot of engine stuff from it as well as maybe art assets and such? I was really surprised how much the 'feel' of Vanquish felt like playing the demo for MGR despite being pretty different.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
LQ-84i is effectively a displacer beast, just a dog version, that talks and doesn't go invisible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

J.theYellow posted:

LQ-84i is effectively a displacer beast, just a dog version, that talks and doesn't go invisible.

So, it has tentacles is what you're saying-because that's all that's left after you make all those other changes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Every time Raiden cuts a dude up and steals his spine he shouts something. And it keeps reminding me of No More Heroes.
Maybe Raiden learned how to be a badass from Travis?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Geemer posted:

Every time Raiden cuts a dude up and steals his spine he shouts something. And it keeps reminding me of No More Heroes.
Maybe Raiden learned how to be a badass from Travis?

I'd be down for Suda teaming up with Platinum for No More Heroes 3.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd be down for Suda teaming up with Platinum for No More Heroes 3.

A chainsaw made entirely of lightsabers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oxxidation posted:

A chainsaw made entirely of lightsabers.

Alice totally should've had that be an attack option.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Since you pick up a rocket launcher earlier in the level, can you shoot the Blade Wolf when he retreats and does he react in any way if so?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
When Bladewolf retreats to call in reinforcements he gains armor so that no attacks will stun, launch, or knock him over. If you manage to hit him with anything while he's running away he'll still take damage, though.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
My mom said you sound like a muppet Chip. :3: If you feel like catering to all sorts if you have extensive rewinding in the future you could just toss a subtitle time to jump to like with cutscenes. I'm really enjoying the videos.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but 17 pages is a bit to comb over. Chip, will you be bringing back dual commentary in the same file, instead of having separate cut and uncut commentary videos? That was one of my favorite things about your older LPs.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Welp, I went out and got the game and my god am I bad at it. Chip makes the parry timing look like cake, but I've been constantly messing it up and getting Gekko Kicked in the teeth. I'm finding a bit tough to judge which direction the game wants you to parry in for some attacks too, like Ray's stomp. The camera works against you a bit.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Sgt Thud posted:

Welp, I went out and got the game and my god am I bad at it. Chip makes the parry timing look like cake, but I've been constantly messing it up and getting Gekko Kicked in the teeth. I'm finding a bit tough to judge which direction the game wants you to parry in for some attacks too, like Ray's stomp. The camera works against you a bit.

In general you have to push the stick towards the enemy you're parrying, not the attack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aurain posted:

I wouldn't worry about you not being as good as Chip at the game or letting that distract you from buying it if you wanted to. I've platinumed the game and can honestly say that even when you feel like you've mastered the game, you still have moments where you mess up horridly and play badly and I'd bet Chip has those too.

It's not like Devil May Cry 3 or 4 where becoming a truly excellent player required a lot of hard work and dedication, it's a much more natural learning curve.

You should also keep in mind that Chip runs these levels multiple times to get the best scores and to make the video flow as well as possible. I imagine he's messed up pretty bad in previous runs before(well maybe not these earlier levels).

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RatHat posted:

You should also keep in mind that Chip runs these levels multiple times to get the best scores and to make the video flow as well as possible. I imagine he's messed up pretty bad in previous runs before(well maybe not these earlier levels).

Well the thing is it's very easy for even the most basic enemies to rip you a new one if you make mistakes. That margin is way smaller on easier difficulties but even on hard you can get smacked around for half your life bar in a few seconds if you aren't careful. Every enemy is an instant heal but only if you can get the zandatsu off and it's harder then it looks especially with the shrinking vital point box on high difficulties. Nothing is worse then getting torn up only to miss a zandatsu when at 27% health.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

randombattle posted:

Well the thing is it's very easy for even the most basic enemies to rip you a new one if you make mistakes. That margin is way smaller on easier difficulties but even on hard you can get smacked around for half your life bar in a few seconds if you aren't careful. Every enemy is an instant heal but only if you can get the zandatsu off and it's harder then it looks especially with the shrinking vital point box on high difficulties. Nothing is worse then getting torn up only to miss a zandatsu when at 27% health.

On the other hand nothing's more awesome than getting a Zandatsu when you're at .2% health. :getin:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I was only going to do a couple of levels. But I kinda finished it again. drat this game rules.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kegluneq posted:

The enormous gulf evident between my play through of this area in the demo and that shown here has convinced me I have no business playing this game for realsies. :smith: That said, I might try to plough through it in easy mode when the price comes down at some point (if it's been a success then maybe a Platinum release?).

The stop-reverse-start editing is a pretty cool touch, kudos for that. Fights are so quick in this game it doesn't really extend the game ridiculously.

Yeah, I remember my demo experience and was scared off of playing this game for real. I'm glad to see it's glorious insanity here and may be motivated to give it at least a rental later on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I'm annoyed about is that the codec portraits has info about the team just under their picture, but it's so small that even on an HD TV you can't read it. :mad:

I hope this won't be an issue on the PC version.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Emong posted:

In general you have to push the stick towards the enemy you're parrying, not the attack.

So, for example, Ray's tail sweep. I would push towards the main bulk of Ray, and not towards the tail swinging in from the side? That seems a little confusing, but at the same time I suppose makes it take a bit less guesswork regarding attack angles.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Sgt Thud posted:

So, for example, Ray's tail sweep. I would push towards the main bulk of Ray, and not towards the tail swinging in from the side? That seems a little confusing, but at the same time I suppose makes it take a bit less guesswork regarding attack angles.

Yes. In general it is a good idea to parry in the direction of the attacker. A good form of practice is the first fight in either R0 or R1. Don't attack just parry until you get it. That is how I learned how to parry!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
I rewatched the first part of the video again and noticed that Kev keeps moving Courtney's coffee cup away from her to prevent her from spilling it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Action Shakespeare posted:

I rewatched the first part of the video again and noticed that Kev keeps moving Courtney's coffee cup away from her to prevent her from spilling it.

Yup, I was going to post about this just now because I always thought about great it was that even without the codec call they do stuff to give you a good sense of familiarity between all the members.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yup, I was going to post about this just now because I always thought about great it was that even without the codec call they do stuff to give you a good sense of familiarity between all the members.
Even after Boris comes over to the front of the room at the end of the cutscene, Kevin can't help but keep glancing over at that cup after she set it right at the edge of the table again.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Just going to call it now, Kev is basically the best character.

(rest linked to keep post filesize down)

http://i.minus.com/iutSmx2F7YMw1.gif

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 26, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I thought there was a third one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Goddamn do I love that robot dog. And I love the fact that there's a post-death codec despite being chopped into hundreds of pieces. And the soundtrack. Just... a lot in general to love about this game.

• Locked thread