Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SpRahl posted:

You need a divine caster and the Valkyrioe wont cut it in that department if you want and easy early game, swap either the mage or alchy out for a bishop. I generally also like at least one frontlinner that can crit enemies so consider replacing either the fighter or the valk with a monk/samurai/ninja.

If you do want to sub out the valkyrie like this, do it with a ninja. At the moment with your party plan the only character that can use thievery skills is your Bard. It's good to split them up amongst multiple characters. Also Monks and Samurai start off pretty weak, especially Monks which are complete garbage until you get a few levels under their belts. (Then they become killing machines)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Drop the alchemist in favor of either a priest or a bishop.

You can grind alchemy all day long with potions and poo poo, and pretty much break the game economy. Your ranger can do that though.

I'd also consider dropping the valkyrie for a samurai, monk, or ninja--by the end of the game you want to be able to insta-kill opponents, and you'll presumably have the NPC valkyrie using the best polearms.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What would be the best version of Wizardy 4 to play, if I'm feeling masochistic enough to try it?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I know Fairy Ninjas get the best weapon in the game, but are they really worth the pain? Is the weapon that worth the annoyance?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Bo-Pepper posted:

I know Fairy Ninjas get the best weapon in the game, but are they really worth the pain? Is the weapon that worth the annoyance?

It's not even the actual best weapon, that would be the old standby that is the *LIGHT* Sword. But it's the best nonrandom weapon you can find, and that is certainly worth a lot.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What would be the best version of Wizardy 4 to play, if I'm feeling masochistic enough to try it?

You really only have two choices--the original on DOS/Apple II/whatever or the Japan-release New Age of Llylgamyn.

Go with New Age of Llylgamyn if you can. If you play Wizardry 4 Classic instead of Arrange, you can set all the text to English in the options. (except for item/enemy descriptions which weren't even in the original Wizardry 4)

Bo-Pepper posted:

Faerie Ninjas are amazing, and not just because of the Cane of Corpus. There's a reason that Faerie Ninja is the go-to solo class in Wizardry 7, and they're almost as good in 8.

One of the things that's great about Ninjas in Wizardry 8 is that they're a critical-hitting class, which means Strength is far less important for them since they'll focus on one-hit-kills. Also, Ninjas are naturally good at dodging, which synergizes really well with the Fairy, since they're also small and hard to hit. There's not much in the way of equipment for a Faerie Ninja, but then there isn't much in the way of equipment for Ninjas anyway. Plus, Faeries are naturally good spellcasters, which means that Faerie Ninjas will be able to make better use of the Ninja's alchemy skills. So a Faerie Ninja is a speedy, critical-dealing bugger that's nigh-impossible to hit, with a few magic tricks up his sleeve. A Faerie Ninja with the Cane of Corpus is all that, and is a crazy murder machine both with criticals and with damage.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Transient People posted:

It's not even the actual best weapon, that would be the old standby that is the *LIGHT* Sword. But it's the best nonrandom weapon you can find, and that is certainly worth a lot.

Actually the cane of corpus is a random drop in Wiz 8, its not garunteed the guy will drop it of course you can save scum.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So Wiz 8, I'm feeling like I leveled up too much in the beginning, and things are getting difficult now and I don't really have the gear or spells to really deal with it. I didn't actually hang around and grind or anything, just thoroughly explored the maps as I came across them. I cleared out the Monastery, kinda sneaked around the road to Arnika, then cleared out Trynton and the Rat Tree.

I am at level 10, and I just entered Marten's Bluff. A bunch of ghosts almost killed me and they didn't even do any direct damage, just debuffs and insanity.

Oh also there was a door at like, the 'end' of Tyrnton that said it needed an item to open, a kind of circular indentation, and the blue marble I picked up earlier didn't open it. Someone did tell me to come back after Marten's Bluff, so maybe I can open it then?

My party is like this:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Rogue
Hobbit Gadgeteer
Elf Bishop
Faerie Mage

I have only found one battle-useful thing for the Gadgeteer to use during combat, and his damage with the omnigun is pretty pathetic. However, he opens locks like a boss and is fairly tanky with medium armor. The casters though, are in kind of dire straits with having low HP. I have found a whole bunch of resurrection powders, so I'm not really concerned that much if they die at this point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SpRahl posted:

Actually the cane of corpus is a random drop in Wiz 8, its not garunteed the guy will drop it of course you can save scum.

You can steal it from him. If you're good enough to steal from him at all, of course.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Bo-Pepper posted:

Starting a game like this is always the hardest part for me. I get party creation paralysis.

Right now for Wizardry 8 I have:

Dracon Fighter
Human Valkyrie
Halfling Bard
Elf Mage
Mook Ranger
Felpurr Alchemist

I'd dump the valk for a different front liner like a Rogue or Samurai. Then replace the mage with a bishop. The best spells in the game are either buffs or debuffs respectively and Mages fall off in a big way.

Make sure to make your bard female too!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

FriggenJ posted:

Make sure to make your bard female too!

All bards and gadgeteers should be female.

Crimson Harvest posted:

I have only found one battle-useful thing for the Gadgeteer to use during combat, and his damage with the omnigun is pretty pathetic.

If youve been to Martens bluff then youve been to the Swamp go back and look around for a big shack towards the east, there is a merchant in there who sells some gadget parts. Between the swamp trynton and martens bluff you should be able to construct, the lava lamp, the holographic projector, the forcefield generator, the magic mirror, and port-o-potty and if you fully explore the bluff the xray sacanner. As to the omnigun it will get better trust me but its damage largely depends on the ammunition you are using for it.
If you have money this guy also has a ton of items to help out with the poor gear you mentioned you had

quote:

Oh also there was a door at like, the 'end' of Tyrnton that said it needed an item to open, a kind of circular indentation, and the blue marble I picked up earlier didn't open it. Someone did tell me to come back after Marten's Bluff, so maybe I can open it then?
You will eventually find a way to open that door and the "key" is not in trynton.

quote:

My party is like this:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Rogue
Hobbit Gadgeteer
Elf Bishop
Faerie Mage
The party makeup isnt terrible, although a felpurr monk is gonna really lag behind in the early game since its strength is so low although once critical strike gets up it shouldnt be a problem, one thing that can help especially with squishy casters like that fairy is if you see a group ofmonsters always try to back up to a wall, mountain or whatever and get as much of your rear and flanks blocked by terrain as possible.

The game does get hard but if you feel its not getting naturally hard then it may be a problem with your stat and skill distribution maybe?

Edit: are you using RPCs because they can really help with early difficulty

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 26, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

So Wiz 8, I'm feeling like I leveled up too much in the beginning, and things are getting difficult now and I don't really have the gear or spells to really deal with it. I didn't actually hang around and grind or anything, just thoroughly explored the maps as I came across them. I cleared out the Monastery, kinda sneaked around the road to Arnika, then cleared out Trynton and the Rat Tree.

I am at level 10, and I just entered Marten's Bluff. A bunch of ghosts almost killed me and they didn't even do any direct damage, just debuffs and insanity.

My party is like this:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Rogue
Hobbit Gadgeteer
Elf Bishop
Faerie Mage

I have only found one battle-useful thing for the Gadgeteer to use during combat, and his damage with the omnigun is pretty pathetic. However, he opens locks like a boss and is fairly tanky with medium armor. The casters though, are in kind of dire straits with having low HP. I have found a whole bunch of resurrection powders, so I'm not really concerned that much if they die at this point.

You've got a good party build. Only thing is that all your tanky characters are races which are a little weak to mind effects. That could bite you later on.

Marten's Bluff is one of the tougher areas in the game. Level 10 is too early to be poking around there. Check out some of the other areas in the game before you think about going back there.

Gadgeteers are late-bloomers. The Omnigun is mediocre now but it becomes godly later on. Its strength isn't its damage but the enormous array of status effects it inflicts, along with its high rate of fire. Gadgets themselves are hard to find and some won't come until much later, but they're amazingly powerful when they do. One casts Asphyxiation, which you can use to pretty much mass-execute anything that comes near you. Another gives you unlimited free resurrections, which you can get relatively early. (You need to be level 14 to use it though)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Another gives you unlimited free resurrections, which you can get relatively early. (You need to be level 14 to use it though)

I have never found that gadget and one of the sites Ive looked at claims it is in the game files but not in the game.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So people say this game has level scaling like Oblivion, right? Does that mean I should be actively avoiding combat and experience because accidentally playing the game like a normal person will end me up with monsters that are super powerful compared to my characters?

Is the level 6 range a good level to be leaving the monastery in the beginning or have is already spent too much time there /or need to grind more?

Also, since other people are doing I'll throw up my party so the people who have actually beaten this game before can tell me if I messed anything up:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Bard
Whatever the dog things are Priest
Human Gadgeteer
Elf Mage

I keep hearing people say alchemy is really really important and it looks like I don't actually have that, is that going to make the game unwinnable somehow?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Okay. Going to try with this party:

Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Rogue
Dwarf Priest
Fairy Mage
Hobbit Bard (female)
Mook Ranger

Better?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for the input you guys. I bought some parts and made some new Gadgeteer toys, and they're pretty cool. I have not found either of the parts for the port-o-potty though, maybe I'll look in to it a little more later.

That guy in the swamp was also selling some really good rocks, and that has helped the Omnigun damage tremendously. Downside is a stack of rocks weights like 50, but at least you can split it up so as not to get encumbered.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SpRahl posted:

I have never found that gadget and one of the sites Ive looked at claims it is in the game files but not in the game.

I dunno where I found it, but I definitely have it in at least one of my save games and I never edited it in.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
^ Eventually it'll be able to fire arrows and bolts. The omni gun really rocks later on.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Rogue
Dwarf Priest
Fairy Mage
Hobbit Bard (female)
Mook Ranger

Better?

I'd consider a bishop over the priest, you have no one who can cast psionicist spells which end up being some of the most powerful in the game.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tyskil posted:

So people say this game has level scaling like Oblivion, right? Does that mean I should be actively avoiding combat and experience because accidentally playing the game like a normal person will end me up with monsters that are super powerful compared to my characters?
Encounters scale to your level (generally there are set encounters and sometimes monsters much weaker than you spawn on a map) but its not really like oblivian in that youll be fighting the same ol goblins you were fighting since day one only now they take a 100 hits to kill, being a higher level means different enemies start spawning although it can be a bit random.

Also regardless of that you dont need to avoid combat since you actually dont level up until you distribute your stats (so morel like oblivion than skyrim in that regard)

quote:

Is the level 6 range a good level to be leaving the monastery in the beginning or have is already spent too much time there /or need to grind more?
Thats roughly average, I generally leave the monastery at levels 4 or 5, I wouldnt worry overly much its usaully solo parties where you run the risk of leveling too fast

quote:

Also, since other people are doing I'll throw up my party so the people who have actually beaten this game before can tell me if I messed anything up:
Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Bard
Human Gadgeteer
Elf Mage
The big thing to beaware of is enemy magic Dracons have poo poo mental resist and an insane fighter can wipe your entire party so becareful when fighting magic users especially ghosts as what happened with someone else in the thread Felpurrs also have poo poo water resist which generally means they can be easily paralyzed so getting spells like element shield and soul shield (which every party need anyway) will be some you need. Id consider making the mage a bishop for versatility but the party is pretty solid otherwise.

quote:

I keep hearing people say alchemy is really really important and it looks like I don't actually have that, is that going to make the game unwinnable somehow?
It has pretty good spells and some awesome debuffs but the reason people say its awesome is because you can get mad cash by mixing potions (this counts for anyone with alchemy not just alchemists) for example you can combine a light and moderate heal to make a heavy heal potion. It wont make the game unwinnable but it means that youll probably have alot less cash than someone who had alchemy.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Thanks for the input you guys. I bought some parts and made some new Gadgeteer toys, and they're pretty cool. I have not found either of the parts for the port-o-potty though, maybe I'll look in to it a little more later.

All Ill say is you have to a way into the "back" of Martens Bluff" there are only two ways of doing this and at your level I wouldnt recommend it.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Rogue
Dwarf Priest
Fairy Mage
Hobbit Bard (female)
Mook Ranger

Better?

Since this was a concern of yours this party will probably have an easy time of it in the beginning, the rogue and fighter will dish out tons of damage. Unless you on a harder difficulty you should be able to survive the latter game but Id still consider replacing the rogue with one of the crit strikers and again bishop is strickly better than pure spell casters but if you dont wont to have to deal with managing a bishop than Priest+mage with the ranger occasionally supporting sohuld be ok for magic.

Genpei Turtle posted:

I dunno where I found it, but I definitely have it in at least one of my save games and I never edited it in.

Ive found other sites claiming its in the game but they say its components are in two different places one say its sold by crock the other its in mt gigas. I dunna maybe its something to do with my version of the game? All I know is I never found it

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Tyskil posted:

Dracon Fighter
Felpurr Monk
Felpurr Bard
Human Gadgeteer
Elf Mage

Very good party. You should have no trouble with that.

Level 6 is fine for leaving the Monastery.

Wizardry 8 has level scaling but within limits. You should fight everything you run across. TBH you don't really have a choice because you can't really run in this game.

Alchemy is mostly good for exploiting the system to mix potions and sell them for cash. It's not necessary at all.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Wiz8 difficulty chat: If you are finding it hard it may be because your skills aren't high enough even if your levels are. (Though there is a really, really lovely difficulty spike on Arnika Road early on.)

When you change the difficulty of the game it raises all the monsters' stats, making all your poo poo more likely to fail. This is very, very good for raising your skills because you need to attack and cast to raise your stats. Higher difficulty means missing more often, means more chances to raise your skills, means more effective characters. The Hard difficulty starts much harder but by the midgame it becomes the easiest difficulty, if you set the game one difficulty for the entire trip. For most battles you should be setting the difficulty to Hard, then when you reach a combat you can't win just set the difficulty down. (And change the difficulty down when zoning into Arnika Road because of said gently caress You difficulty spike, until about level 12-14 I think.)

Also I gotta give a shout-out to the Bard RPC. He's an excellent class who gets an excellent character-specific item and is one of the least restricted in regards to where he'll go. (And secret trick: if one of your RPCs won't go into a new area and you really don't give a poo poo about their bitching, knock them out. Probably by running until they collapse. Then zone while they are unconscious. When they wake up in the new zone they'll complain and get a hefty debuff but they'll still get XP and you don't have to loving drop them and go get somebody else and blah blah garbage suck blah.)

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Just for example's sake here's the party I found the most consistently powerful from beginning to end.

Lizard Fighter
Halfling Samurai
Mook Ranger
Gnome Gadgeteer (female)
Halfling Bard (female)
Faerie Bishop

The Samurai can very easily be switched out for any other frontliner(Monk or Ninja for instance).

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 26, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

MartianAgitator posted:

Also I gotta give a shout-out to the Bard RPC. He's an excellent class who gets an excellent character-specific item and is one of the least restricted in regards to where he'll go.

Hes actually very restricted in where he will go.

The Monk RPC is the least restricted, there is only one place he wont go and its a minor location that no other rpcs will go into either, next least restriced would be probably the Valky but she hates bayjin and rapax areas so that kinda sucks, altohugh by the time you go to those places you can probably deal with the debuffs, after her I think is the gadgeteer who wont go into rapax areas, bayjin and the final area.

Im not counting the Lord and Ninja in this since they are a special case

FriggenJ posted:

The Samurai can very easily be switched out for any other frontliner(Monk or Ninja for instance).

Which Id recomend because both the monk and ninja will make the samurai look like a pushover.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

MartianAgitator posted:

(Though there is a really, really lovely difficulty spike on Arnika Road early on.)

This was my main concern, actually. I played this game a lot at a friends place a long time ago and every time I got out of the monastery I always got destroyed by roving packs of 15+ enemies who can all inflict status ailments on the entire party and have 80+ hp.

One thing I can say for people who are starting out for the first time is to not ignore the stealth skill. It's actually the Dodging skill just named all weird, all it does is increase your AC, but if you have a class that has the stealth skill they probably really need the AC anyway. It practically the only thing that actually lets rogues and monks stay up front to do the things they are supposed to be doing.

Edit: I'm talking early game mind you. Maybe there's a point I haven't got to yet that automatically instant kills anyone with stealth over 12 but I figured since it took me so long to realize what that skill actually does I should point it out.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2013

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
*shrug* It's a generic slot. I think he ended up with the most kills by end game but Monk would have been categorically better likely.

Also, to anyone having issues with it, save your level ups starting at six for after the Arnika road.

Edit For clarity: do not level your characters past five in the monastery. Just save the level up options until you reach Arnika, no worries they'll stack up

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 26, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

*shrug* It's a generic slot. I think he ended up with the most kills by end game but Monk would have been categorically better likely.

Also, to anyone having issues with it, save your level ups starting at six for after the Arnika road.

Edit For clarity: do not level your characters past five in the monastery. Just save the level up options until you reach Arnika, no worries they'll stack up

I personally prefer Samurai to Monks. Both have the similar strategies--hit a bunch of times with the chance of criticals coming in. Samurai are less likely to strike as many times, Monks are going to do a lot less damage per strike because weapons are superior to bare hands.

The kicker of course is that Samurai have better equipment available to them and they can cast Mage spells which are vastly superior to Psionic spells. Both are pretty good though.

So, er, to try to keep Wizardry 8 chat from completely dominating this thread, am I the only one around here to play the Japan-only Wizardries like the Gaidens and the Empires? Anyone have a particular game glossed over in the OP they'd want to do a shout-out for?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

I personally prefer Samurai to Monks. Both have the similar strategies--hit a bunch of times with the chance of criticals coming in. Samurai are less likely to strike as many times, Monks are going to do a lot less damage per strike because weapons are superior to bare hands.
Its definitely a matter of taste I personally dont find the samurai equipment advantage to be that worth it and the little bit of extra damage doesnt outweigh the sear number of times a monk can attack but both are good. I had a party with both a samurai and a monk and both lead the party in kills by alot.
Also monks can use staff weapons and gets access to the rather awesome Zatoichi Bo and can use most of the good mace weapons.

quote:

So, er, to try to keep Wizardry 8 chat from completely dominating this thread, am I the only one around here to play the Japan-only Wizardries like the Gaidens and the Empires? Anyone have a particular game glossed over in the OP they'd want to do a shout-out for?
I am curious if you or anyone could go into detail and give tips on cross classing in wizardry 7, that was always something I found a bit overwhelming as a kid. Also everyone Wizardry 7 is awesome and you should all buy it from GOG.

I was also kinda interested in if you could go into a bit more detail on what exactly wizardry 4 was like because your description in the OP sounded pretty interesting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Several years back, before I defected from the Bay12games forums to SA, somebody on that site ran a pretty neat LP of one of the earlier Wizardry's. Several of us got to pick one character to be our avatar, and then we used the thread to recruit our own adventuring parties. The game allowed all of the characters to exist in the same file, and the guy playing would just grab all the members of a particular party and do a dungeon run with that group. After the run he let us divide the loot and make purchases.

Does Wizardry 6-8 let you run multiple parties at once? Might make a fun LP of the games. I'm thinking heavily edited videos just showing the highlights of each dungeon run, alternating between however many parties we have going. Quest items would be shared between all parties, but other loot would stay with the party that found it (allowing for one party to purchase a weapon from another after an in-thread discussion).

Something to think about. :D

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SpRahl posted:

Hes actually very restricted in where he will go.

The Monk RPC is the least restricted, there is only one place he wont go and its a minor location that no other rpcs will go into either, next least restriced would be probably the Valky but she hates bayjin and rapax areas so that kinda sucks, altohugh by the time you go to those places you can probably deal with the debuffs, after her I think is the gadgeteer who wont go into rapax areas, bayjin and the final area.

Im not counting the Lord and Ninja in this since they are a special case

I was wrong, the bard's average in where he'll go. Importantly, he's one of the few who will go to the final area without penalty and he's a support class so stat debuffs don't impact his effectiveness as much as any other RPC I believe.

About crit classes: I prefer samurai over the other two. Samurai start the game better than the others, have the stronger middle game and are still extremely competent endgame. Samurai start with badass swords, good hps and good enough armor for the early game. Midgame, their armor sucks but they still have frontliner hps, their skills are okay (you need dual-wield, swords and crit), and they have great spells for a secondary, out-of-combat caster (mages have Magic Sword, Magic Shield, Missile Shield and X-Ray, I think, and they get Knock for skill-up spamming). They don't get heal spells, but I think that's okay because you just want to be attacking every turn anyway; hybrid emergency healers suck and out-of-combat secondary healers are nice but not necessary. You're going to of course max Dex and Spd with them first which would hamper their DPR but getting the cursed sword early on means you're gibbing poo poo anyway. I find that samurai get multiple attacks and swings faster than monks and ninjas, which in turn means faster crit skill gain.

Monks start out awful. They have no armor, medium hp and are front liners. (Unless you give them a staff and then you should just be using a valkyrie. Monks need Martial Arts to get more attacks sooner to raise crit skill faster.) Midgame they are awful: their stealth skill makes them somewhat tanky but their hps are still bad for a frontliner, psionics are the worst midgame spellbook that requires the highest proficiency to actually land your debuffs (and monks are five levels behind in proficiency), they attack for no damage, and about the only thing they contribute is out-of-combat healing to take the load off your main healer. Honestly, I've never taken a monk late game because I've never had a PC monk in my party and not wished he was something (anything!) else. You even get an RPC monk who doesn't get spells and that makes the class SO MUCH BETTER. He's probably built better than a PC monk, stats-wise, and I think he even gets an AC bonus. He is often the best RPC for your party. In short, don't make a monk.

Ninjas bug me because they have way too many focuses and level too slowly. That said, they are probably the best class if you grind up every single skill of theirs. I loving hate that and want to spend the least amount of time grinding as possible. I would only run a ninja if I was running a fairy ninja and build them just like a monk except strictly better because of a better spellbook and the bonkers Cane Corpus. That is, raise Dex->Spd->Sen and Martial Arts+Crit+Dodge. Mostly ignore their other skills (have other people in the party use Alchemy and Pick Lock) and you will be much happier. Many skills to level plus slow-rear end level gain equals a pain in the butt.

Having some with the crit skill is very important and it feels awesome when one of the giant mouths with feet swallows one of your DPRs and just when you're groaning in frustration thinking of the 100's of hps it has, BAM! Instant death. Of the three crit classes, crit-focused samurai come online quickly and contribute the most to the party otherwise unless you're building an uber-ninja.

tl;dr: Valk still best class.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, of the three crit classes Monks are the best overall straight fighting types, Ninjas best overall, and Samurai are better casters (with a strong early game because of the Berserker sword). I prefer Samurai because the Mage spells that are truly useful are all low-level whereas the best Psionic spells are the amazing level 5-7 ones.

Basically, though, if there were more copies of gadget components I'd try to run a whole team of Gadgeteers and murder everything from a million range while throwing earthquakes and team heals every second.

Additionally the Monk RPC is amazing and immune to mind spells IIRC. He murders meeses to pieces.

Edit: We can all agree that the Lord is absolute poo poo though, yeah?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Agree. Lords ruin any party. And disagree about monks.

Conscientious edit: Are Lords worth it in any other Wiz?

\/\/\/ no u

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 26, 2013

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
You guys are putting way too much thought into the perfect superparty. Lords rule, everything rules. It's one of the the best games that's ever been made just enjoy it don't have a heart attack over your party composition dudes.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

Agree. Lords ruin any party. And disagree about monks.

Conscientious edit: Are Lords worth it in any other Wiz?

Lords are really good in 2 and 5, and even in 7. Not as good as a Valk in 7 (obviously) though. I have not played the unmentioned games.

Can we talk about skill growth in Wiz 8? It's obvious from the start that you gain skill by practicing that skill, but I'm curious as to how it works, or maybe what some good strategies for skilling up are. Do stats govern how fast skills rise, or just how effective they are when using them, or what?

For example, Mental+Psionic and Mental+Priest are super easy to level by spamming Mindread or Charm on a friendly NPC during conversation.

Actually those are the only skills I have come up with a good way to level outside combat. I suspect you could level Priest+Psionic+Mental with Divine Trap, and Mage+Alchemist+Earth with Knock Knock, but it's been a long time since I've seen a trapped chest or locked door so I can't try it out right now. Engineering also might go up outside combat if you have a noncombat gadget, and obviously the Locks & Traps skill should rise when you use it, although I'm not sure I've seen that happen.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

FriggenJ posted:

Additionally the Monk RPC is amazing and immune to mind spells IIRC. He murders meeses to pieces.

Agreed the monk RPC is loving amazing, you know why he is amazing? Because he is a monk and monks loving rule :smaug:

MartianAgitator posted:

In short, don't make a monk.

I have made several monks and they rock they attack so drat often that they crit all the time, and if damage is a problem just give the monk a little bit of strength, seriously thats one of the reasons why the RPC monk is so uber. The only class Id want more than a monk is a ninja but as you said they are a time investment.

One somewhat unorthodox thing to do is to make a dwarf monk, yes this makes you start at level 0 but the dwarven damage resistance stacks with the monk damage resistance, the lost levels wont be a huge deal because casting isnt a monks strong suit anyway.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can we talk about skill growth in Wiz 8? It's obvious from the start that you gain skill by practicing that skill, but I'm curious as to how it works, or maybe what some good strategies for skilling up are. Do stats govern how fast skills rise, or just how effective they are when using them, or what?
I am pretty sure that your stats affect how quickly a skill levels up.

quote:

For example, Mental+Psionic and Mental+Priest are super easy to level by spamming Mindread or Charm on a friendly NPC during conversation.

Actually those are the only skills I have come up with a good way to level outside combat. I suspect you could level Priest+Psionic+Mental with Divine Trap, and Mage+Alchemist+Earth with Knock Knock, but it's been a long time since I've seen a trapped chest or locked door so I can't try it out right now. Engineering also might go up outside combat if you have a noncombat gadget, and obviously the Locks & Traps skill should rise when you use it, although I'm not sure I've seen that happen.

Casting "knock knock" on a hard locked door can be used to increase earth magic and whatever book your casting our of, if you have iron will it can be raised by opening repeatedly the trapped coffin in the monastery, mixing tons of potions raises alchemy, music can be raised by using the charm instrument on npcs, locks and traps can be raised by just finding a trapped chest and examining it over oand over and over... takes awhile.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 26, 2013

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Crimson Harvest posted:

Lords are really good in 2 and 5, and even in 7. Not as good as a Valk in 7 (obviously) though. I have not played the unmentioned games.

FriggenJ's quick and dirty skill grinding guide:

Locks and Traps: Spam analyze trap on a difficult chest.
Bard: Use the Charm Violin on the female Arnika shopkeeper.
Engineering: Gadget use every time you can. The Lightning Rod you get in the Monastery can be used infinitely and every turn in combat.

Spell Schools
:
Divinity: Charm/Healing While in Fire/Divine Trap
Mage: Knock-knock
Alchemy: Knock-knock, Making Potions (which you'll do for money)/Healing While in Fire
Psionics: Mind Read, Charm

There's a great 8 tumbler lock in the Arnika Bank that you can spam Knock-Knock on for gains.

For Bishops you'll only raise the highest level school that can cast a spell. Therefore if you have Wizardry of 35 and Alchemy of 36 the Alchemy will see the skill boosts from Knock-Knock (since both schools can cast it).

If you must grind a four book Bishop make sure Mage > Alchemy > Divinity > Psionics. Then do the following in order:

Mage: Knock Knock on Arnika Vault
Alchemy: Heal your party while in the fires in the crashed Spaceship in Arnika
Divinity: Charm on a friendly npc that won't aggro on you (Female shopkeeper in Arnika) or spam Divine Trap on a hard trap
Psionics: Mindread on shopkeeper.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I have encountered a few T'Rang now, and these guys seem a lot more reasonable than the ones on Guardia. They are willing talk to me, and of course, employ me :)

I found the RPC Monk and managed to recruit him, he seems cool enough but I already have a monk so I'm not taking him. Once I unload all this heavy armor and stuff I'm gonna get rid of the Valk too.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Great thread! I enjoyed the history lesson :)

If, like me, you bought Wizardry 6 but found that the audio pops at the beginning and end of every sound effect then please go here: http://www.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/wizardry_6_audio_popping because I made a fix for that and it really helped me enjoy the game more when you dont have to turn the sound off.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Hey so I found a giant hunk of silver in a mine, and it's super heavy. Obviously I don't want to carry it around, so I'll dump it in Arnika or at Crocks or something. Is it good for anything? I briefly looked at a FAQ for mention of it but there wasn't anything.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SpRahl posted:

One somewhat unorthodox thing to do is to make a dwarf monk, yes this makes you start at level 0 but the dwarven damage resistance stacks with the monk damage resistance, the lost levels wont be a huge deal because casting isnt a monks strong suit anyway.

I'm not gonna argue about monks anymore after this. I will point out that making a dwarf monk is a gimmick for stacking damage resistance that sounds neat but absolutely exacerbates every single problem monks have. Is a dwarf monk more survivable? Hardly. You'll have more hps and damage resistance at the cost of being able to raise your stats at chargen and even another whole level. Monks absolutely need their stats, Dex and Spd especially, to raise your base AC and raise your Dodge skill faster, raise your initiative so you can critically hit and kill things before they attack, to hit more times and more often - these are the things that make a monk useful. A monk starting with low base stats delays everything important that they do and you will get into the endgame before unlocking the Dex super skill that adds to your AC - invaluable to a cloth-wearing monk.

In exchange you get 7% resist to physical attacks and more hps than usual. Even if this was a significant gain, you'd just be making a wall that doesn't die but doesn't contribute to team fights as well as a more focused build. The RPC monk is great because his stats are great for asskicking - a dwarf monk will never be able to deliver because his stats will be garbage in comparison for the whole game.

Last comparison between monk and samurai: samurai get more attacks sooner (right out of the box!), their attacks do actual damage (and a poo poo-ton with the cursed sword, acquired very early), they have better hps, they have a superior secondary-caster spellbook, they have a unique ability which synergizes extremely well with their critical skill. Samurai are middle-of-the-road frontliners with two great things: the crit skill and the mage spellbook. Monks are the worst frontliners but they have the critical skill. (They have to be front line to use Martial Arts and get the most possible attacks to proc crits. If you give a monk a polearm you nerf their number of attacks and their crit is not as reliable as just making a valkyrie with a polearm who just shits out single-target DPR anyway, has a fantastic secondary-caster spellbook, and is the best frontline class hands down.)

MORE INTERESTING CONTENT FOR NOOBS:

Bishops are amazing but their skill grind is rough. The trick is to pick only two spellbooks and level them up exclusively. This should very likely be alchemy first and probably wizardry second. Alchemy is fantastic because: a) it lets you make potions which is great for skilling up alchemy, skilling up artifacts, and selling potions for a ton of profit; and b) AOE damage. AOE damage is one of the most important uses of magic, the other being buff spells like Armorplate, Magic Shield, Haste and so forth. Wizardry has the best mix of buffs and AOE which is why I recommend it as well.

The important buffs you'll be missing by only leveling alchemy and wizardry are in divinity. Luckily, valkyries are extremely good characters and make perfect secondary casters. If you want your valkyrie to have an easier start casting (cause hybrids are awful spellcasters when they first get access to their spells at level 5) the secret trick is to make a priest at level one with the stats to immediately multiclass to valkyrie at level two. This mitigates a lot of the shittiness at a very minor XP penalty and works with every hybrid. Don't do it with a ninja, though. Their XP need is already huge and absolutely hampers their deep stat and hp needs.

An alch/wiz bishop and a valkyrie are already a powerful spine for a party. New players should also pick up a bard and/or a gadgeteer because they are fun and easy to use. They should always be female! Bards, especially lizard(wo)men bards, make passable frontliners if you focus on their Strength and Speed. Speed is important so you can get off your instrument playing early in the round and for more attacks and Strength you need for damage and stamina. Gadgeteers are back liners that you should max their Speed and Senses. If you raise your gadgeteer's Senses stat and walk around in search mode all the time you will basically have a better ranger.

But here's the most important noob advice: you see your party radar thingy, the 5-part circular reticle? That shows where your party is in relation to each other. Your party will start out with someone in that forward slot. Take them out of it and never put anyone in their again. This is because of how range works and how very, very often monsters will surround you. Normally, if someone is in your front slot and monsters approach you from the front, only the man in front will be in close melee range and people in other slots will need ranged weapons or far melee weapons (polearms). This is not optimal. If you empty the front slot then the people in your middle, left and right slots become your close-range front line and any monster approaching from the front is now threatened by all of those characters.

There are many, many monsters who will often encircle you. (This is why AOE magic is important.) If you keep a polearm valkyrie in your middle slot and stack your side slots with your other melee-ers, you will present a very strong front line and you won't have any useless people when monsters lap around your formation.

Lastly, don't be afraid to grab a fighter or thief. Even though hybrids are more versatile, the base melee classes are easily their match. They have simpler stat needs and level up amazingly quickly. That means their power skyrockets early. They'll have higher skills, higher hit points and unlock those sweet expert skills very early. Here's the most important part: if you have your bases covered (like having a valk+wiz/alch bishop+bard/gadgeteer to pick locks) then they will be amazingly relevant the whole game. Fighters will bash like crazy, knocking things out and draining stamina from difficult enemies and rogues will basically be amazingly powerful point-blank AOEs every turn. Max Strength, Dex and Dual Wield for both of them.

God, I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
One fun thing I did once was e a party with a Lord in it, I then set up autobattle, parked myself in the monastary and went to sleep. When I woke up, I found the Lord had fought himself to exhaustion and was unconcious but still not dying somehow, even though the entire remainder of the party had turned into bones and there will still monsters trying to kill him but failing.

He'd gained some ungodly amount of levels in the meantime.

e: Yeah, it really surprises me how much of a steamroller Fighters and Rogues can be in Wiz 8. Instant kills are nice and all but swinging for triple digits and backstabbing with Light Swords and all is just hideous damage. Though I can understand on higher difficulties the instant kills becoming more relevant.

One thing I really liked was importing items from Wiz 7. There were a lot of things that simply would not transfer over, but there were also those odd things which you could only get from an imported save, and some of the special consumables from 7 made their way into 8, even though it's probably been who knows how long since Moser brewed that Magic Mojo Tea. Finding cool combos of items to import over was practically a game in itself.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 26, 2013

• Locked thread