Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003
GMusic just updated with all-access support. It works, but it's not nearly as good as rdio or Spotify. People were asking about using Google's all access a few pages ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

eithedog posted:

Any apps that give you a list of recipes based on the ingredients (or for that matter any recipes applications) you might recommend? I don't usually have an idea what I'm in the mood for and would really like to put the content of my fridge ( + my mediocre skill level ;)) to get some weird, but tasty foods.

I like Big Oven for it, it's not perfect but enjoyable for finding new recipes based on what I have (and sometimes a store trip to supplement what I have).

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What's the best Last.fm app for scrobbling songs I play with the default Music app? [CloudScrob](http://cloudscrob.com/) looked promising until I saw that it hasn't been updated since iOS 6 came out and App Store reviewers are saying it's broken.

Or would sending my playcounts to Last.fm while syncing my iPod and iPad with iTunes be a more reliable option?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

maduin posted:

GMusic just updated with all-access support. It works, but it's not nearly as good as rdio or Spotify. People were asking about using Google's all access a few pages ago though.

Thanks. I was holding off on buying this until they updated. Sounds like I'll hold off a while longer if the UI isn't that great.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It also seems to be using a ton more data than the other services, so I'd let them work out the kinks for now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hypersleep posted:

Or would sending my playcounts to Last.fm while syncing my iPod and iPad with iTunes be a more reliable option?

This is what I do and it work consistently. The only thing is Last.FM scrobs based on when the scrobes are submitted. So if you listen on your iPhone at noon, and then get home, play some music in iTunes, and then scrobe your iPhone, it will show those noon tracks after the iTunes tracks, but with the correct timestamps.

I may be the only person who's noticed or cares about this. :v:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

hypersleep posted:

What's the best Last.fm app for scrobbling songs I play with the default Music app? [CloudScrob](http://cloudscrob.com/) looked promising until I saw that it hasn't been updated since iOS 6 came out and App Store reviewers are saying it's broken.

Cloudscrob works for me everyday. Maybe the last update was when iOS 6 dropped, I dunno, but I have never needed an update (since it works). The syncing option with the officially computer client never worked well at all for me, even back just in the iPod days.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Cloudscrob works for me everyday. Maybe the last update was when iOS 6 dropped, I dunno, but I have never needed an update (since it works). The syncing option with the officially computer client never worked well at all for me, even back just in the iPod days.

Well CloudScrob is only a buck so it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:siren:The Yahoo! Weather app has a new icon:siren: It is now officially the best iOS weather app. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Autumncomet posted:

:siren:The Yahoo! Weather app has a new icon:siren: It is now officially the best iOS weather app. :allears:

It's so pretty! What would make it perfect is if it had a badge icon that refreshed itself every 15 minutes or so. It'd probably rape my battery, but I don't care. I :love: that app.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

I like that much less. looks like every other weather icon.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'd like it better if it didn't have the Yahoo logo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Seriously. Couldn't they do a barely visible Y! or something?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any decent stock Music alternatives? I really don't like the hoops you have to go through just to rate a track, and it sure looks like garbage on my iPad. Having full screen redraws all over the place makes simple functions a huge chore.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I am tinkering with my new raspberry pi and I was wondering if anyone got to use it as a video streamer from the pi to an ipad. I need it to be able to reproduce most common video formats. Anyone?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Diabolik900 posted:

Last Chance posted:

Seriously. Couldn't they do a barely visible Y! or something?

I'd be surprised if the Weather app wasn't part of Yahoo's recruiting strategy. It's a pretty blatant, "Look, we know the site is boring, but you can do really cool design work here with Marissa."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought the original looked much better

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I thought the original looked much better

Me too. Is the new bland one really what the feedback wanted?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

headcas3 posted:

I like Big Oven for it, it's not perfect but enjoyable for finding new recipes based on what I have (and sometimes a store trip to supplement what I have).

Thanks mate! I looked it up to notice that reviews are wondrously strange at this one; still going to give it a try (if I only end up spelling correctly).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Me too. Is the new bland one really what the feedback wanted?

I wonder if it's a prank/troll. "Oh, you don't like the decent looking one with a color not seen much in app icons? Have a picture of a cloud and our logo. It's flat."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think both are a step in the wrong direction. App has beautiful 2 color icons everyone loves should just be one of those with yahoo used more like a watermark.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm looking for a 'phrase trainer' for my iPhone and/or iPad for guitar practice so I can play MP3s at slower speeds and/or loop specific passages to learn songs.
If it worked alongside Garage Band so I could play ALONG that would be even better.

Does such a thing exist? I can't seem to find one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

I'm looking for a 'phrase trainer' for my iPhone and/or iPad for guitar practice so I can play MP3s at slower speeds and/or loop specific passages to learn songs.
If it worked alongside Garage Band so I could play ALONG that would be even better.

Does such a thing exist? I can't seem to find one.
Amazing Slow Downer. It's pretty handy and helped quite a bit when I was transcribing a song earlier, also seems to be getting updated regularly.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
The most important part of a weather app to me is its icon... Said me never

I love the app. Didn't care for the purple icon but that's not why I downloaded it. I don't sit just staring at my icons all day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Autumncomet posted:

It's a nice app, but I think Solar is far, far better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotaryfun posted:

The most important part of a weather app to me is its icon... Said me never

I love the app. Didn't care for the purple icon but that's not why I downloaded it. I don't sit just staring at my icons all day.

You must have some pretty low self worth if you tolerate icons like that. The App itself is ok but I won't let it anywhere near my phone. I suggest you upgrade your personal standards, delete the App and finally start holding your head high.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 28, 2013

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Lexicon posted:

It's a nice app, but I think Solar is far, far better.

I have both and am torn, Solar feels like a slicker app in many ways but after poking into Yahoo's a few times I find myself missing the little bits of extra data. Still, we live in a modern age where they can sit side by side (not actually side by side, because even the new icon for Yahoo is ugly enough to warrant sticking it in a folder).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I've installed probably 10 weather apps and I always go back to Today weather. It's got iPhone and iPad versions. I don't know why I like it, I just always go back to it.

Also one of these weather apps should have allergy info. The yahoo one has the loving lunar cycle but no allergy info, what the hell.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Also one of these weather apps should have allergy info. The yahoo one has the loving lunar cycle but no allergy info, what the hell.

WeatherBug has a pollen count pane.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I literally have a folder filled with weather apps on my phone, but the one I use on my home screen is the forecast.io web app. There's nothing I've found that is as good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

forecast.io is definitely the prettiest, but I don't like how big a window of data it downloads when viewing the map. I really only need to see the next day or two, plus yesterday.. and it gives me an 8 day range. :manning:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
To add to the weather app chat, Dark Sky v3 (by the forecast.io folks) is now available. The update includes support for the UK & Ireland and a crowdsourcing feature which allows users to "submit their own hyperlocal weather observations to help make our forecasts even better".

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does the yahoo weather app have an animated radar? I can't, for the life of me, figure out if it does (and animated radars are a weather app requirement for me).

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

Intellicast HD has animated radar and is the best free weather app I've found.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I loved forecast.io until it lied about the forecast to me and I got unreasonably mad at it. Using yahoo now but these things are very flavor of the week.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

The Dave posted:

I loved forecast.io until it lied about the forecast to me and I got unreasonably mad at it. Using yahoo now but these things are very flavor of the week.
There was quite a bit of discussion about that in the weatherpocalypse thread where a couple of meteorologists pointed out some serious flaws with their data. I pointed it out and it was quickly dismissed because its a pretty app.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The newer 1password app went half price. Has anyone been using it that had the older one? The interface looks a lot more like the Mac app which is nice, but on the fence about buying it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do you guys need a weather app other than the default one? I never even open it because I can just pull down the notification screen, which none of the non default apps can do.

I'm looking for a Google Talk client that lets me do VoIP. There is Talkatone but the quality seems extremely terrible. Are there other alternatives?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I paid for "Check the Weather" way back when...which is now powered by forecast.io (which is free)

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You realize that the data they were using before you could've also gotten from a free app right?

• Locked thread