Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Not as far as I'm aware. Everyone's really busy trying to complete the alpha at the moment, so I'm not really in the loop as far as press releases go though.

Any word on figuring out how to make formations lose effectiveness as individual units die? Sorry if it seems like I'm harping on this, but this sort of thing bugs the hell out of me and is one of the reasons I decided not to get the new Eador game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

Any word on figuring out how to make formations lose effectiveness as individual units die? Sorry if it seems like I'm harping on this, but this sort of thing bugs the hell out of me and is one of the reasons I decided not to get the new Eador game.

I batted some ideas round with one of the designers, and he agreed to look into it after alpha. I think it might be cool if we can use it to make weaker units more worthwhile, so you could have a big goblin squad which does damage comparable to a high tier unit, but rapidly weakens as it takes hits. We've still got a lot to do though, and at the end of the day the game could easily survive without the feature, so it's hard to say whether or not it'll make it in.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I batted some ideas round with one of the designers, and he agreed to look into it after alpha. I think it might be cool if we can use it to make weaker units more worthwhile, so you could have a big goblin squad which does damage comparable to a high tier unit, but rapidly weakens as it takes hits.

Thats sounds really great and I hope you manage to convince them to do something like that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bloodly posted:

I've always found it odd that tech and magic are often at odds. Are there many things where they work together, not one taking the place of the other?

True magic is wild, unpredictable and chaotic.

Most, if not all magic, in fantasy has some form and solid mass that you can apply the scientific method to. As someone else put it to me a few days ago, Often Magic is the Science, and Science is the Magic in fantasy settings.

The good settings learn to run with the idea that the magic is indeed science but science and logic applied to the magic works interesting things. From the mundane to the works of wonders. Take a peak at, well ANYTHING written by Sanderson, but in particular: The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings) for more like this.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Bloodly posted:

I've always found it odd that tech and magic are often at odds. Are there many things where they work together, not one taking the place of the other?

The Iron Kingdoms, the setting for Warmachine, has magic generators fed by steam engines that power giant robots controlled by mages. Basic firearms are available too, and mages can etch runes into their guns/bullets to shoot magic, explodey bullets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

The issue with magic and technology working hand in hand is that usually what's holding back scientific process is the limitations of our current knowledge and sometimes the limit of science itself, while magic is all about "gently caress science, I did it because Magic". If the two can work in tandem you get a massively accelerated rate of development. Just think how quickly diagnostic medicine would have advanced if we'd had even a tiny fraction of the population able to cast "look at what's going on under your skin in subatomic detail". Finding out what actually causes illnesses is an incredibly recent development in human history, but "create the bacteria that cause plague out of thin air and teleport them into people" is one of the basic "things magic can do" in folklore, as is removing the illness and all the symptoms.

The reason this is a problem is that it's hard to write a gripping "Griknar the Bold goes off to kill some Olde Worlde goblins" novel when Griknar and all his friends have a projected lifespan of 500 years and live in a magic space station orbiting Jupiter. So its easier just to say that Magic and Science don't get along, magical plague boils are completely different to regular plague boils, and Griknar's box of infinite food can't be extrapolated to cure world hunger because~

Same reason why genetic engineering is banned in most scifi universes. It's easier to write stories that way.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 3, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I liked the way Arcanum handled mixing the two: when a piece of Technology is exposed to a piece of Magick, they interfere and disrupt each other. A heavily magick-focused user who tries to use a firearm will more than likely have it not fire, or misfire, or even explode in their hand. Likewise, a Professor of Chemistry who attempts to use a simple Heal spell is likely to either have the spell fizzle out or actively harm the recipient. It even applied to regions, so an Elf magick user would find it hard to use spells in a heavily industrialized city and a dwarf musketeer is likely to have his guns rendered useless in a magical grove.

They never bothered explaining it in any great detail except Ristezze who summed it up as "They are two sides of the same coin, no? One twists nature, the other uses it."

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

The issue with magic and technology working hand in hand is that usually what's holding back scientific process is the limitations of our current knowledge and sometimes the limit of science itself, while magic is all about "gently caress science, I did it because Magic". If the two can work in tandem you get a massively accelerated rate of development. Just think how quickly diagnostic medicine would have advanced if we'd had even a tiny fraction of the population able to cast "look at what's going on under your skin in subatomic detail". Finding out what actually causes illnesses is an incredibly recent development in human history, but "create the bacteria that cause plague out of thin air and teleport them into people" is one of the basic "things magic can do" in folklore, as is removing the illness and all the symptoms.

The reason this is a problem is that it's hard to write a gripping "Griknar the Bold goes off to kill some Olde Worlde goblins" novel when Griknar and all his friends have a projected lifespan of 500 years and live in a magic space station orbiting Jupiter. So its easier just to say that Magic and Science don't get along, magical plague boils are completely different to regular plague boils, and Griknar's box of infinite food can't be extrapolated to cure world hunger because~

Same reason why genetic engineering is banned in most scifi universes. It's easier to write stories that way.

Classic magic does have this problem, but the many ways magic is portrayed is key to undermining that issue.

Science on the other hand should always be reasonably consistent with the real world, or at least, the scientific method should be.

A setting could have a wizard realise that inner magic can be harnessed with technology for the benefit of people who don't have time to study it, creating simple, magically powered machines for instance. The details of how the magic systems work and thus the ending technology depend on the writer, but the discovery and experimentation can be rooted in realistic tones, to maintain the imagery that "Science can be used to understand everything."

PiCroft posted:

I liked the way Arcanum handled mixing the two: when a piece of Technology is exposed to a piece of Magick, they interfere and disrupt each other. A heavily magick-focused user who tries to use a firearm will more than likely have it not fire, or misfire, or even explode in their hand. Likewise, a Professor of Chemistry who attempts to use a simple Heal spell is likely to either have the spell fizzle out or actively harm the recipient. It even applied to regions, so an Elf magick user would find it hard to use spells in a heavily industrialized city and a dwarf musketeer is likely to have his guns rendered useless in a magical grove.

They never bothered explaining it in any great detail except Ristezze who summed it up as "They are two sides of the same coin, no? One twists nature, the other uses it."

Arcanum did that really well, even if i find myself wanting something that blends both magic and science, at least they put the two at odds in an interesting way that had plenty of room for storytelling. Most of these "Magic vs Science" settings simply paints science/industry/progression as bad.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 3, 2013

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Izzet from MTG always had an awesome feel to me (can't figure out how to get it to link properly, copy paste the link instead of clicking):

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[izzet]

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So, in a strange twist, ive just had two of my friends (who are respectible in their opinions) say to me that Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is "Not Awful" and i should try it. One of them says the only flaw he thinks so far is its micro heavy.

As i cant seem to find a thread for it on SA, ill hijack my own thread :psyduck: and ask here; anyone got anything to say about that?

After how awful Elemental was i was entirely soured off anything by that company, even the free copy of Fallen Enchantress.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh my god I hate you I thought there was news :argh:

Map is made of squares. Scrub game :smaug:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

So, in a strange twist, ive just had two of my friends (who are respectible in their opinions) say to me that Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is "Not Awful" and i should try it. One of them says the only flaw he thinks so far is its micro heavy.

I haven't done more then toy around with it a bit, but yeah I've seen a lot of people saying it's actually good since it's been in beta. Someone should probably just make a thread already.

quote:

Oh my god I hate you I thought there was news

You know they've been posting Dev journals, right? http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-ii-all-sorts-of-mounts/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the idea of simple, fairly easy magical spells being used to improve technology. I liked it in Rise of Legends because it explained why steampunk worked, that big walking robot was able to walk because the steam boiler on its back used magic.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

I like the idea of simple, fairly easy magical spells being used to improve technology. I liked it in Rise of Legends because it explained why steampunk worked, that big walking robot was able to walk because the steam boiler on its back used magic.

Rise of Legends was so Gooood for all that crazy poo poo.

From the steampunk/clockwork imperial side to the sun powered crazy alien statue golems on the other, with a whole heap of Arabian(?) mythos, crazy glass creatures and sand magic inbetween.

I really, really digged that games asthetic. Gameplay itself? Kinda forgettable.

madmac posted:

You know they've been posting Dev journals, right? http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-ii-all-sorts-of-mounts/

Snagged, and i planned to do some looking up to see if there was anything worthy to post about. :3:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You could always just go the Final Fantasy route and have the technology basically be magic. TVs that run on magic, flying cars that run on magic, electricity that's magical, giant floating cities that have modern skyscrapers that are floating with magic. It's... weird. I honestly don't like the aesthetic much, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

As i cant seem to find a thread for it on SA, ill hijack my own thread :psyduck: and ask here; anyone got anything to say about that?

After how awful Elemental was i was entirely soured off anything by that company, even the free copy of Fallen Enchantress.

It's actually not bad, like they said. It's a lot of the game we were sold with E:WoM, and it's definitely playable in the same sense that GalCiv is, losing hours at a time to your bullshit magical empire. Problem is a lot of those turns are going to be building things in your city and moving guys around without much consequence. At the rate those games are improving the next free expansion for people who got suckered by WoM should be really good. :v:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Shadowmorn posted:

I quite like the game, its nice to be able to design your own factions and units. If you crank the settings up to make monsters a real threat it also gets interesting. Shame it uses squares though, and the tactical combat just lacks something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

madmac posted:

I did not. Shadowmorn is grudgingly forgiven.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

I did not. Shadowmorn is grudgingly forgiven.

There is some real nice armour artwork in the first dev diary.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-1-back-to-the-roots/

Rabhadh posted:

I quite like the game, its nice to be able to design your own factions and units. If you crank the settings up to make monsters a real threat it also gets interesting. Shame it uses squares though, and the tactical combat just lacks something.

I might give it a look, not sure if they gave out a free copy of it as well to people who originally bought elemental, or if that was just fallen enchantress. :v:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shadowmorn posted:

There is some real nice armour artwork in the first dev diary.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-1-back-to-the-roots/

I might give it a look, not sure if they gave out a free copy of it as well to people who originally bought elemental, or if that was just fallen enchantress. :v:

Yeah I do believe you get a free copy if you bought elemental.

http://www.twitch.tv/maddjinn/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

As always if it's a 4X game maddjinn has a video of it. He has quite a few playthroughs

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
Confirmed. I was one of those people dumb enough to preorder the original Elemental and I just checked my Stardock account; they give you a steam key for Legendary Heroes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hazmat Sam posted:

Confirmed. I was one of those people dumb enough to preorder the original Elemental and I just checked my Stardock account; they give you a steam key for Legendary Heroes.

Which is great, the steam key really redeemed stardock for me. I'd probably even trust them on their next game be side of the effort they've put in and the long term support. I'd trust them a lot further than Kerberos at any rate.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

Which is great, the steam key really redeemed stardock for me. I'd probably even trust them on their next game be side of the effort they've put in and the long term support. I'd trust them a lot further than Kerberos at any rate.

Nice, i just checked and got one too. This'll teach me to check my emails more. :v:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Question: Is there anything wrong(story or gameplaywise) with just dropping right in to AoW2:SM without finishing the other games? I got a good way in to vanilla 2(started the life mage campaign) a while ago but but lost my save and don't feel like playing through all the content I've already done. Recently my video card died so I gotta entertain myself with games that don't bother with trifles like graphics.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Question: Is there anything wrong(story or gameplaywise) with just dropping right in to AoW2:SM without finishing the other games? I got a good way in to vanilla 2(started the life mage campaign) a while ago but but lost my save and don't feel like playing through all the content I've already done. Recently my video card died so I gotta entertain myself with games that don't bother with trifles like graphics.

Shadow Magic was my first and still only Age of Wonders game and I turned out OK. I still understood the story and mechanics and such.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I looked at this thread because I loved the original Age of Wonders, and then discovered that I happen to own a completely different game because I was insane enough to buy Elemental. After the reviews came in.

Please make a good Age of Wonders game. I've missed the genre, and Elemental so does not count. :(

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Eschatos posted:

The stories basically have no connection with each other, so there is no real loss by skipping to SM.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
You can skip AoW1 if you really want, but I think it holds up great. This is still required viewing though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5gpsfLCnJU

And while you're at it rock out to the menu too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmlx3H3gBE

e; I mean, if you don't want to play that loving game after watching those then I think you're in the wrong thread.

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 29, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm in the minority that likes 2 and SM more than the first game, but if nothing else the soundtrack is definitely worth listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FfmNQJ_Xko

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kanfy posted:

I'm in the minority that likes 2 and SM more than the first game, but if nothing else the soundtrack is definitely worth listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FfmNQJ_Xko
I like 2 and SM more than the first one overall, the only things I disliked about the newer ones were the removal of the minidungeons (understandable), the random level ups (debatable), and the changing of the loot reward system (inexplicable).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
While the latter games had better balance and intricacy, I can't get over the style and campaign of the first game. Too good.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Speaking from the perspective of someone who played them after the initial release and during the process of bugfixing:

Campaigns quality
Age of Wonders > Shadow Magic -> AoW2

There are a few factors behind that, but... AoW had the superior (but not perfect) character progression, strictly limiting you on what you can carry from mission to mission. The protagonist from AoW2 ended up going through all the schools of magic, which is great for experiencing everything in a single run, but not so great for establishing your own character. Shadow Magic had you playing different (but customizable) leaders for a series of missions, i.i.r.c. which was a nice middleground. The most promising but troubled feature of the latter installment(s) is the persistence of research of wizardly abilities and also, magical artifacts. There were too many boring powergaming options to dangle in front of my inner munchkin, such as delaying the end of a mission as long as possible to create a super-wizard.

In terms of pacing, I'll never forgive how long the Dwarven campaign took me in AoW1. The sequels did the right thing by simplifying the number of levels available to the playing field, i.m.o.. And the best thing to reduce a tedious endgame happened in Shadow Magic... if you screwed up and took much longer to complete a mission than you should have, you can eventually build wizard towers with teleportation gates in your cities, so you can backline production right into frontline action, rather than have things dragged out by issues of logistics. It is still best to strike early and hard, of course, but I was hardly the best strategy gamer at that time... so that was a godsend.

In terms of interesting worlds, Age of Wonders had the most fluff, all those dungeons, etc. AoW2 had a solid campaign, but one of the least exciting. In particular the water campaign and halflings went on a bit too long. Part of the problem was their short legs, another was the island theme and large map size (AoW1 had the halfling campaign small for good reason, imo), and the third was the heavy emphasis on stealth in the halfling army doesn't do much good when the AI sees everything and doesn't pretend otherwise. Shadow Magic had a more interesting plot than 2, the campaign maps were littered with little events and sidequests and things to explore and felt much more like a living world than a set of fairly dry missions. And I even enjoyed the limited involvement of halflings. Scripting wasn't restricted to just controlling the AI, but also making the world more engaging.

The other thing skewing my impressions was that I felt AoW1 was pretty polished from a bug standpoint, but even up till Shadow Magic's release, they were ironing bugs out of AoW2 like poisonous clouds destroying bridges. Since Shadow Magic was based on the same engine as AoW2, it was had many fewer bugs at release... so things like no longer ruining missions by accidentally wiping bridges completely off the map made for a happier experiences, and made me more accepting of other flaws.

I'd recommend playing them all, honestly, especially if you want to get into user scenarios. But if you're going to play just one, I'd run with Shadow Magic.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 30, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

LordSloth posted:

Speaking from the perspective of someone who played them after the initial release and during the process of bugfixing:

Campaigns quality
Age of Wonders > Shadow Magic -> AoW2

I'd recommend playing them all, honestly, especially if you want to get into user scenarios. But if you're going to play just one, I'd run with Shadow Magic.

This is, in my opinion anyway, a great recap of the franchise so far, and ill nab it for the OP.

Edit:

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-story-so-far-part-i/

New Dev journal.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
What worked in AoW 1 and fell down flat in AoW 2 was precisely that sense of character, world building, and choice involved in the campaign. In AoW 1 you had a bunch of branching paths - all of them together showed off all of the content, offering replay value, yet your choices in any specific playthrough mattered, since they affected the story and capabilities of your character. I lost interest in AoW 2's campaign awfully fast in comparison, since the game offered no choices in favor of shoving all the content into a single playthrough. I didn't particularly care about anything happening to the characters or world in AoW 2.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Corbeau posted:

What worked in AoW 1 and fell down flat in AoW 2 was precisely that sense of character, world building, and choice involved in the campaign. In AoW 1 you had a bunch of branching paths - all of them together showed off all of the content, offering replay value, yet your choices in any specific playthrough mattered, since they affected the story and capabilities of your character. I lost interest in AoW 2's campaign awfully fast in comparison, since the game offered no choices in favor of shoving all the content into a single playthrough. I didn't particularly care about anything happening to the characters or world in AoW 2.

Replaying AOW 2 now and i have to agree, SM gave me a far better reason to care about the ongoings of the characters with its overall backdrop of the oppressive anti-magic human empire and the hungry shadow demon apocalypse.

AOW2 on the other hand is going with the backdrop of scheming god-wizards and the political vibe with all the different backstabbing and naked lust for power. Not saying thats bad, but its terribly dry without some time to get to know the players on the stage before the knives are drawn.

AOW1 meanwhile gave you a physical presence, choices to be made and consiquences to reap. You felt like the big presence in the story, a proper "Hero" of your faction, and that made your choices all the more impactful, 'specially when you made the wrong ones.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 30, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I ... had no idea Age of Wonders 3 was in the works. Somehow never noticed this thread before.

I've been a massive fan of Shadow Magic for a long time and pushing it in SA threads whenever these sorts of games come up.

...but I have a confession to make. I've never played any of the campaigns. I've just played the scenario generator over and over in Shadow Magic to get a MOM-style game. I should probably go and play 1 at least, because I really like the late DOS-like aesthetics and awesome music.

edit: speaking of hexes, in the will-never-happen-but-would-loving-love-it category, I'd love to see a modern version of Missionforce: Cyberstorm.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

teethgrinder posted:

I ... had no idea Age of Wonders 3 was in the works. Somehow never noticed this thread before.

I've been a massive fan of Shadow Magic for a long time and pushing it in SA threads whenever these sorts of games come up.

...but I have a confession to make. I've never played any of the campaigns. I've just played the scenario generator over and over in Shadow Magic to get a MOM-style game. I should probably go and play 1 at least, because I really like the late DOS-like aesthetics and awesome music.

edit: speaking of hexes, in the will-never-happen-but-would-loving-love-it category, I'd love to see a modern version of Missionforce: Cyberstorm.

Gawd drat i remember that game! It was creepy as all balls to my "Around-about 10 year old" self! :stare:

The Scenario generator is of good quality, it however lacks generating overworld in the underground/shadowrealm and shadowrealm in the overworld/underground, which is a nice touch used in the pre-set scenario's and campaign.

Huh, come to think about it, has anything been said about a Scenario generator/Map Maker? That kind of thing. Its 2:30am here and i really should check my own flipping OP to be sure...

quote:

Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.

So nothing in exact words yet. Hey, Gerblyn, if you see this and something goes up about the Scenario Tools, hit up this thread would ya? :3: Shadow magic had that sooo good.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 2, 2013

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Shadowmorn posted:

So nothing in exact words yet. Hey, Gerblyn, if you see this and something goes up about the Scenario Tools, hit up this thread would ya? :3: Shadow magic had that sooo good.

I don't know if we have a Dev Pournal planned for the level editor or the random map generator. I can tell you that we're planning to ship with both of them though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

I don't know if we have a Dev Pournal planned for the level editor or the random map generator. I can tell you that we're planning to ship with both of them though.

Awesome. Its one of the reasons why i keep coming back to Shadow Magic whenever i get an itch for this kind of game. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Yeah, the level editor was one of my favorite parts of the Age of Wonders games. I hope scripting events is as easy as before.

• Locked thread