Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey dude who linked to that eBay code... Did the seller send the code digitally? I bought last night and no response yet...

[edit] NM. He contacted me, said he could do it either way. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Enter Char posted:

Wouldn't you be better served by Caldari just by having more high slots for damage mods? It seems like sidearm capacity isn't that important to sniping.

I thought Minmatar Assault suits have more highs than Caldari...? Or am I reading that graph wrong?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Hazdoc posted:

I thought Minmatar Assault suits have more highs than Caldari...? Or am I reading that graph wrong?

Caldari Assault has 4 highs, Minnie Assault has 5.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Looking at the stats again, Caldari and Minmatar protos the only viable options for the Assault class, in my opinion. The other two races are just too slow for really effective front line combat.

For Caldari, there's enough CPU to put complex shield extenders in all highs, a scrambler pistol, Packed AV grenades, two basic plates, a basic repper, a nanohive AND a duvolle rifle with 3 CPU remaining. That gets you 864 EHP, with 293 of that being in armor.

For Minmatar, there's less CPU to go around. 4 complex shield extenders, a basic recharger, scrambler pistol, packed AV grenades, two basic plates, nanohive and a duvolle rifle with almost 20 CPU remaining. 763 EHP with 312 HP in armor.

That setup is for proto racial assault suits with maxed relevant skills btw.

The Minmatar suit has a higher movement speed (+ 0.29), higher sprint speed and more stamina, larger sidearm clip size due to the innate racial bonus.
The Caldari suit has a higher armor rep rate (2 vs 1), 101 more EHP, higher stats in the shield recharge/delay, and a lovely reload bonus that will never ever make a difference.

I went Caldari assault with my guy. If I had another respec I'm not sure whether I'd stick with Caldari again. That movement speed and extra ammo in the clip for the sidearm that the Minmatar suits have are very nice.

Here's a fitting tool btw

https://forums.dust514.com/default....main=google.com

EDIT - spelling/grammar

Present fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 30, 2013

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Exioce posted:

Goons need to play less Skirmish and more Ambush :colbert:

Not really. Skirmish is the mode that's used in PC, so it's better that people are in the habit of defaulting to skirmish, and fully understanding it's mechanics.

PC might be a bit naff right now, but CCP did say they were taking baby steps with the bonuses and rewards, rather than accidentally making a huge exploitable mess.

Present posted:

Looking at the stats again, Caldari and Minmatar protos the only viable options for the Assault class, in my opinion. The other two races are just too slow for really effective front line combat.

For Caldari, there's enough CPU to put complex shield extenders in all highs, a scrambler pistol, Packed AV grenades, two basic plates, a basic repper, a nanohive AND a duvolle rifle with 3 CPU remaining. That gets you almost 864 EHP, with 293 of that being in armor.

For Minmatar, there's less CPU to go around. 4 complex shield extenders, a basic recharger, scrambler pistol, packed AV grenades, two basic plates, nanohive and a duvolle rifle with almost 20 CPU remaining. 763 EHP with 312 HP in armor.

That setup is for proto racial assault suits with maxed relevant skills btw.

The Minmatar has higher movement speed (+ 0.29), higher sprint sprint and more stamina, larger sidearm clip size due to the innate racial bonus.
The Caldari has a higher armor rep rate (2 vs 1), 101 more EHP, higher stats in the shield recharge/delay, and a lovely reload bonus that will never ever make a difference.

I went Caldari assault with my guy. If I had another respec I'm not sure whether I'd stick with Caldari again. That movement speed and extra ammo in the clip for the sidearm that the Minmatar suits have are very nice.

Here's a fitting tool btw

https://forums.dust514.com/default....main=google.com

Amarr proto is the only suit you can fit high end hacking builds on, without compromising on weaponry choices. Amarr's also the most balanced in every respect, and the most versatile and adaptable. The only suit you can viably have both an armour fit and a shield fit versions, which allows you to spawn against whatever the decent enemy players are using.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 30, 2013

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Not really. Skirmish is the mode that's used in PC, so it's better that people are in the habit of defaulting to skirmish, and fully understanding it's mechanics.

Plus having actual objectives is more fun. :colbert:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Skirmish is also the most efficient way to grind your SP cap fast since the matches are longer, and therefore you spend less time loading/waiting/doing circles in your quarters.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Xaerael posted:

PC might be a bit naff right now, but CCP did say they were taking baby steps with the bonuses and rewards, rather than accidentally making a huge exploitable mess.

Amarr proto is the only suit you can fit high end hacking builds on, without compromising on weaponry choices. Amarr's also the most balanced in every respect, and the most versatile and adaptable. The only suit you can viably have both an armour fit and a shield fit versions, which allows you to spawn against whatever the decent enemy players are using.

Playing a game where you shoot at 30 guys for every installation you hack? Better run a high end hacking build :smuggo:

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

Exioce posted:

Goons need to play less Skirmish and more Ambush :colbert:

Funny you should mention that, I called Eevil a coward yesterday for avoiding ambush maps

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ambush can be fun, but the spawns can get pretty dumb at times. I've had a moment where I spawned, turned a corner, ran back to where I spawned and walked into a heavy spawning right where I had. Good times!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hazdoc posted:

Ambush can be fun, but the spawns can get pretty dumb at times. I've had a moment where I spawned, turned a corner, ran back to where I spawned and walked into a heavy spawning right where I had. Good times!

Well, did you at least shoot him like a man or did you cower in fear?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So like, there is a special event this weekend...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/DUST-514/EVENT-DUST-514-Templar-Manhunt/m-p/40447217 (http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/DUST-514/EVENT-DUST-514-Templar-Manhunt/m-p/40447217 )

However, it looks like it's too late to sign up to participate.

Which I think is a lovely way of handling it. Exclusive gear and such for the participants. (and I think a bonus 2.5million ISK for anyone who shoots a certain number of these chosen Templar players.

[edit]

Confirming you can double stack those eBay 20,000 AUR promo cards. :D

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 30, 2013

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Samahiel posted:

Play with goons. We're all terrible and being alone sucks.

I did yesterday, it was fun. I forgot who it was with but I remember "The BJ King" despite him not answering whether or not he had won a contest for that title, or if it was inherited. Anyway I need a mic.

I largely felt outclassed by all the heavies and very hard hitting snipers and poo poo. I definitely need more practice.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Feenix posted:

So like, there is a special event this weekend. However, it looks like it's too late to sign up to participate. [...] Which I think is a lovely way of handling it.

Stuff like this usually gets mentioned in this thread. This one did :pseudo:

Also, regarding Ambush, the entire mode seems like a waste of time now. With Uprising they reduced the starting clone count from 75 to 50, which doesn't seem like a lot but in reality means matches are a full 33% shorter than they used to be. So you spend much more of your time, relatively, staring at loading screens and hanging out in the warbarge, i.e. not gaining SP.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Uba Stij posted:

Well, did you at least shoot him like a man or did you cower in fear?

I took his shields out before he turned me into a fine red mist. Heavies are pretty scary if you're carrying an AR that doesn't have good range.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I agree, even if all you wanna do is shoot mans, Ambush is a waste of people's time right now. Those clone counts drop faster than Amanda Bynes' panties at a drug dealer's house. (TOPICAL!) It just raises how much time you spent in loading screens and your quarters and such...

[edit] Further making Ambush suck is when reserves run out and you stare at a loving map for a few minutes while the robo-lady occasionally says poo poo like "you really should pick a spawn and head in, you lazy jerk!" and you're all like "Look, you idiot, it won't let me!"

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Stuff like this usually gets mentioned in this thread. This one did :pseudo:

Also, regarding Ambush, the entire mode seems like a waste of time now. With Uprising they reduced the starting clone count from 75 to 50, which doesn't seem like a lot but in reality means matches are a full 33% shorter than they used to be. So you spend much more of your time, relatively, staring at loading screens and hanging out in the warbarge, i.e. not gaining SP.

Ambush has somewhat of a purpose for these events though... If someone gets a templar character and wants the reward, they need to earn 20k SP and play at least 20 matches. I can make the 20k SP in 2 or 3 games of skirmish; I may not want to spend another 6 hours to get to 20 matches when I'm playing on an alt.

For actual SP gain Skirmish (or Domination to a lesser extent) is still the way to go, though.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Samahiel posted:

Play with goons. We're all terrible and being alone sucks.

Hell I remember participating in the first ever Goon corp match during the old build, and we suffered about 10 losses while playing the map completely unopposed.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Feenix posted:

[edit] Further making Ambush suck is when reserves run out and you stare at a loving map for a few minutes while the robo-lady occasionally says poo poo like "you really should pick a spawn and head in, you lazy jerk!" and you're all like "Look, you idiot, it won't let me!"

That's just her way of trolling you. Though it would be better if she offered you a respawn for 100,000 ISK, then met you at the spawn with a bullet to the head and a smile while saying, "Welcome to Eve."

Ambush is pretty pointless though. It can be "fun," but when the length of your fun is directly tied to progression, it's really just a waste of a game mode.

Perhaps they should offer reward incentives based on how long you stay alive, or how many men you shoot between each spawn, or something. Just anything really that makes the payout equal to the other mode.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I really enjoy the spam drop uplinks domination mode. It's a nice change of pace after having only skirmish and ambush as the sole options for so very long.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Downloaded this last night. Topped the scoreboards in every match I did by doing things like 'shooting mans' and 'capturing objectives' and 'setting my controller down and going to get a beer and then forgetting I was still in a game' so I see it's the usual FTP where if you are capable of dressing yourself you're in the Top 5%.

Picked up that eBay card because I figure I've already had more than $4 worth of fun. Is there anything specific on which I should spend the funbucks?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Saint Freak posted:

Downloaded this last night. Topped the scoreboards in every match I did by doing things like 'shooting mans' and 'capturing objectives' and 'setting my controller down and going to get a beer and then forgetting I was still in a game' so I see it's the usual FTP where if you are capable of dressing yourself you're in the Top 5%.

Picked up that eBay card because I figure I've already had more than $4 worth of fun. Is there anything specific on which I should spend the funbucks?

Look at this guy here. He has no idea whats coming :)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Hey guys, Ambush OMS is still 80 clones and has more depot and stuff. But even so, tryhard proto squads like to play ambush and stomp pubs after they hit their cap in 2 days so watch out for that.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Oh man, sniping is incredibly fun. I'm going with the Assault Minmatar, it seems. I've grabbed an advanced sniper and some damage mods plus an SMG, and its been decent going. Not ridiculously high scores, but it certainly is enjoyable picking people off a map away. Especially since there's no travel times on bullets, its like a point and click adventure.

What's the damage multiplier on headshots? I've taken full health heavies down in one headshot, so I'm thinking its gotta be at least 2-2.5x damage, probably higher.

I need more SP so I can get a better dropsuit, but there's no point getting a better dropsuit until I have better mods to put on it. Bleh, at least Skirmish pays out some decent SP. I'm heavily considering getting a passive booster, it sounds awfully convenient.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Saint Freak posted:

When you start up your character is in "Battle Academy" and "Battle Academy" pits you against other new players. That said if your doing super well there you'll probably do well in normal matches after you get some Skill point meat on your bones.
Also save the funbux until you know what you want to spend them on there isn't really a default thing you must have, but if its burning a hole in your pocket I'd say spend it on a booster.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ive been thinking of making a sniper build with conplex mods and actually using a mouse to annoy the gently caress out of people in domination.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Uba Stij posted:

Today'd Hotfix fixed the excess ISK you may have gotten during the respect.

If you're now in the negative, I shall laugh at you. Dr. Eyjo G does not gently caress around.

Don't be like these guys:

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83218&find=unread

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83217&find=unread

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83225&find=unread

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83209&find=unread

There is pure gold in these reactions. I'm hoping to see the proto pub match abusers that are negative on the opposite end of my HMG in their militia gear in the near future.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Saint Freak posted:

I'd go for BPOs. Once you find a gameplay style you enjoy, go for a basic suit and/or weapon for that role. This will let you save tons of ISK, since you'll use those BPOs every time you don't want to risk getting your expensive stuff wrecked. And between grinding pub-games for SP, goofing around with goons, and the inevitable "wow we're getting stomped" matches, there are a lot of situations where "bam, free suit" (and/or gun) is a nice little perk.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Saint Freak posted:

:lol: this was me a few days ago. I've been playing with goons in "proper" matches today and I've gotten stomped more times than I can count. Playing with goons makes it 10000 times better though.

I've been following the guide in the OP when spending my SP but I've got a lot more isk than I need at the moment, are there any essentials I might've missed?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Hazdoc posted:

What's the damage multiplier on headshots? I've taken full health heavies down in one headshot, so I'm thinking its gotta be at least 2-2.5x damage, probably higher.

When you put the dot over their body you should see their health and 100% on the screen, that indicates the shot will do 100% damage. When you put the cursor over the head it displays 195%.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

So after messing with settings for a few days I got my recordings to a quality I'm happy with. This is just a random, boring deathmatch game but I wanted something quick to test with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfDiBc_md4

I'll probably start recording PC matches or something? If there's anything that'd be helpful let me know.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Barf Wight posted:

I've been following the guide in the OP when spending my SP but I've got a lot more isk than I need at the moment, are there any essentials I might've missed?

You might want to save it up, once you hit protosuits, you're going to be spending upwards of 1 million isk a match, just for gear if you don't do well. Also, tanks are like 1.2 mill each for good ones. Basically, if you ever want to go into vehicles, they are NOT cheap.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Well I'm an idiot Australian who bought two of of those US only eBay codes.

First two replies get one each. :)

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Tentacle Party posted:

I'd like one. I'm willing to reimburse you if you want.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Tentacle Party posted:

How are you sending them? PSN? Because I am interested.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Enter Char posted:

How are you sending them? PSN? Because I am interested.

I got then via email, so email or PM.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

You could always make a US PSN and apply them to that.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Aurra posted:

I'd like one. I'm willing to reimburse you if you want.

Sent via PM.

Let me know how you go .

Enter char do you have PMs?

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Soarer posted:

When you put the dot over their body you should see their health and 100% on the screen, that indicates the shot will do 100% damage. When you put the cursor over the head it displays 195%.

Thanks for this, hadn't realized this was what the 100% meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Tentacle Party posted:

Sent via PM.

Let me know how you go .

Enter char do you have PMs?

No, but you can send me an email, it's my username at gmail, no space though.

• Locked thread