Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, that's why I specified MILC. I guess I might be the minority but I consider fixed lens cameras mirrorless as well.

Doesn't MILC stand for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mightaswell posted:

Doesn't MILC stand for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera?

Yes, his point is that fixed lenses cameras (and point and shoots) are technically mirrorless since they don't have a pentaprism like a DSLR.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Never mind, I re-read the posts and I get what Martytoof was saying.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

Yes, his point is that fixed lenses cameras (and point and shoots) are technically mirrorless since they don't have a pentaprism like a DSLR.

It's mirrorless but not interchangeable lens. Soooo... Not MILC.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

powderific posted:

It's mirrorless but not interchangeable lens. Soooo... Not MILC.

I thought it was Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format.
This explains the weird Google search results I've been getting! :doh:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Always fap first before searching camera reviews. Do I REALLY need this camera, or did I just need to masturbate? Now I always know. It was both.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Costello Jello posted:

Always fap first before searching camera reviews. Do I REALLY need this camera, or did I just need to masturbate? Now I always know. It was both.

Why do you think that the high-end bodies are all waterproofed?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I have one and I love it. It's become my everyday carry camera.

Do you use it with the EVF?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Frobbe posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Adapter-Receiver-Channels/dp/B00CAGPPDO/

i've ordered this thing, i'll report back if it makes my camera burst into flames, it should work fine with my old speedlite

Received this kit today, it works great for taking pictures of my cat!

and it's yet to burst into fire too! now i just need a better flash unit than my ancient speedlite 244T

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

alkanphel posted:

Do you use it with the EVF?

I just got the EVF for my RX1 last week. It's the best EVF I've used to date and I do use it in bright sunlight. I think I'll use it more often as I get used to it.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

1.03 is out for the X100S. Supposedly fixes TV fuzz on the LCD under certain conditions.

Seems like its made AF just a tad bit slower, but overall more accurate. Could just be placebo but I think it's also made AF a little louder too.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How fast/accurate are you finding the AF to be on it, in general?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Anyone here have opinions on long MFT lenses? I'm leaning towards picking up the new oly 75-300, but if anyone has some better option please speak up!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

On a related note - dropping $900 on the Fuji 14mm seems like a waste, when the Rokinon 14mm is out there for $350. Has anyone played with this on their MILC?

To expand on that, this lens is available in Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony Alpha, Pentax, Olympus 4/3, and two Nikon versions, is there any real reason to pick one over another given that adapters are available for all/most?

edit: another question, I see that it has significant mustache distortion that is easily correctable with profiles you can find online. How does that work if I'm shooting with an XE-1, just get the profile for a similar crop ratio like a 1.5 Nikon?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 30, 2013

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Helicity posted:

On a related note - dropping $900 on the Fuji 14mm seems like a waste, when the Rokinon 14mm is out there for $350. Has anyone played with this on their MILC?

Without addressing the optical differences (because I don't know what they are), the Samyang lens is huger, has no AF, and has no filter threads. Those are major drawbacks IMO.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

FasterThanLight posted:

Without addressing the optical differences (because I don't know what they are), the Samyang lens is huger, has no AF, and has no filter threads. Those are major drawbacks IMO.

No AF actually works out fine for me, since I don't have time to mess with even AF while a tornado is on the ground, so just setting a lens to infinity focus and locking it would be awesome (a friend is using a 3d printer to make a lock for this lens). The size + the size of the adapter, and lack of filter threads are definitely things to consider, thanks.

VVV unfortunately 4.5 is really brutal for low light shooting that I end up doing a lot. That does look like a sweet lens though.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 30, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helicity posted:

To expand on that, this lens is available in Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony Alpha, Pentax, Olympus 4/3, and two Nikon versions, is there any real reason to pick one over another given that adapters are available for all/most?

edit: another question, I see that it has significant mustache distortion that is easily correctable with profiles you can find online. How does that work if I'm shooting with an XE-1, just get the profile for a similar crop ratio like a 1.5 Nikon?

I rather get the Voigtlander VM 15mm.

I still have my Nikon mount Tokina 11-16. The resolution is not great but distortion control is excellent. If the Fuji 14mm is below $700 I am willing to sell the 11-16 and my NEX 16mm+ECU1 for a Fuji XF 14mm. For anything wider than 14mm I can live with software solution.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Mr. Despair posted:

Anyone here have opinions on long MFT lenses? I'm leaning towards picking up the new oly 75-300, but if anyone has some better option please speak up!

i have the 100-300 panasonic and can't complain. the OIS is awesome.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

Didn't you just pick up a old MF lens in that range?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

powderific posted:

On a M43 sensor, I think image stabilization and autofocus would be invaluable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fair point on the AF, but the OM-D does have the IBIS. I'm on a GH3 and do really wish I had IS as it's a bitch to hand hold the Canon 300mm FD L. My solution thus far has been to either use a monopod or keep the shutter speed above 1/500 or so.

Tests from my yard:

Handheld 1/1000:

Handheld 1/500:

Monopod 1/125 (cropped in a little):

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

powderific posted:

Yeah, a soligar 75-260/4.5. It was only 30 bucks and half the reason I bought it was for the extension tubes that were bolted on the back. Real nice, heavy duty construction, and it's pretty sharp considering it's age IF you stop down to f/8 or so.

It weighs 2.5 pounds though, and manual zoom lenses don't work great with IBIS, since you have to manually input the focal length (so while ibis might work at 260mm, if you zoom out to 70 you might have issues).

And AF would be really nice to have, it sucks when a bird lands and then flies away before you can recompose and refocus.

And did I mention it weighs 2.5 pounds?

Nice and all, but not the most user friendly. At the very least I'd want to get something longer and as a prime, like a nikon 300/4.5 edif or something.

With the soligor

_5130319.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

whatever7 posted:

I rather get the Voigtlander VM 15mm.

I still have my Nikon mount Tokina 11-16. The resolution is not great but distortion control is excellent. If the Fuji 14mm is below $700 I am willing to sell the 11-16 and my NEX 16mm+ECU1 for a Fuji XF 14mm. For anything wider than 14mm I can live with software solution.

Helicity posted:

No AF actually works out fine for me, since I don't have time to mess with even AF while a tornado is on the ground, so just setting a lens to infinity focus and locking it would be awesome (a friend is using a 3d printer to make a lock for this lens). The size + the size of the adapter, and lack of filter threads are definitely things to consider, thanks.

VVV unfortunately 4.5 is really brutal for low light shooting that I end up doing a lot. That does look like a sweet lens though.

It is a sweet lens, and low light isn't that big of a deal with modern bodies being able to shoot at high iso without much of an issue.

That said, the bigger issue would be finding an l39 (or m mount, depending on which version you get) that has just the right depth for proper infinity focus all the way over. My cheap l39 adapter is ever so slightly off, so if I go all the way to the stop I'm actually just past infinity focus. That's a fault of the adapter and not the lens though, but it's a pretty common issue with adapters I find. Something native mount would be more reliable if you don't want to shell out for a high quality adapter, or shimming a lower quality adapter until it's right.

With the voigtlander;

_5250224.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

With my Voigtlander 75mm lens, I used the L39 to M adapter (which is just a tiny plate) along with the M to Fuji X adapter and the focus seemed spot on right to infinity. Perhaps it would be the same with MFT.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

It weighs 2.5 pounds though, and manual zoom lenses don't work great with IBIS, since you have to manually input the focal length (so while ibis might work at 260mm, if you zoom out to 70 you might have issues).

Oooh, I didn't think about the zoom and IBIS. Makes sense that that'd be an issue. I've been thinking of picking up either the 45-200 or 100-300 Panasonic to have something with IS that's a little more compact that the 300mm. The 45-200 goes for super cheap sometimes and I liked it back when I had a G2.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
After reading this thread and looking around a bit .. I am now questioning what to do with my current setup.

I have a Canon 40D right now, with a 17-50 tamron, 50mm 1.8 and Yongnuo YN-560 II flash. While I would love to become a wedding photographer and everything else, I just don't have the time. My images mostly consist of places/things and a few people here and there. Would one of these new mirrorless cameras do better than the 40D setup I have right now? I don't take it with me too many places, mainly because I just have to carry so much.

I've looked at the NEX 5-7 series a bit, I guess I would mainly like to have lenses that match what I use above.

What do you all think?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

After reading this thread and looking around a bit .. I am now questioning what to do with my current setup.

I have a Canon 40D right now, with a 17-50 tamron, 50mm 1.8 and Yongnuo YN-560 II flash. While I would love to become a wedding photographer and everything else, I just don't have the time. My images mostly consist of places/things and a few people here and there. Would one of these new mirrorless cameras do better than the 40D setup I have right now? I don't take it with me too many places, mainly because I just have to carry so much.

I've looked at the NEX 5-7 series a bit, I guess I would mainly like to have lenses that match what I use above.

What do you all think?

Fuji XE1, their 18-55 2.8-f4 lens and adapt your 50mm 1.8 with a cheap fotodiox 12bux adapter. Your YN-560 will fire in manual mode from teh hotshoe. This will blow the 40d out of the water in terms of IQ.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

RustedChrome posted:

With my Voigtlander 75mm lens, I used the L39 to M adapter (which is just a tiny plate) along with the M to Fuji X adapter and the focus seemed spot on right to infinity. Perhaps it would be the same with MFT.

Which brand adapter did you get?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Fuji XE1, their 18-55 2.8-f4 lens and adapt your 50mm 1.8 with a cheap fotodiox 12bux adapter. Your YN-560 will fire in manual mode from teh hotshoe. This will blow the 40d out of the water in terms of IQ.

The same can be said of an OM-D. The XE-1's kit lens is probably nicer for stills, but I think the om-d has a bit of an edge for video (silent focus and all that). Plus IBIS.

Helicity posted:

He might be talking about the official fuji adapter, which is really nice (you pay for the quality though).

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-Pr...to+fuji+adapter

I just use a 12 dollar adapter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

Vast majority of the NEX and XF adapter don't let you stop at the infinity. (Plus I just found out if I MF my Fuji 18-55mm on XE1, it goes beyond infinity too. In other words, I have no easy way to do "force infinity" with this lens).

You just have to make the scale yourself with a sticker. Plus the important thing is not the infinity spot, but rather the hyperfocal marks for f/4 f/8 f/16 etc.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

You just have to make the scale yourself with a sticker. Plus the important thing is not the infinity spot, but rather the hyperfocal marks for f/4 f/8 f/16 etc.

I just got my Ricoh GR today, and I figured if I ever wanted to do hyperfocal, I'd just have to use a hyperfocal calculator, but it turns out if you put the camera in aperture priority and focus on something, it will tell you on the screen the correct hyperfocal distance to keep your subject in focus. Pretty cool little feature. Maybe all cameras have this now, but my DSLR is super old, so it was a nice surprise.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Helicity posted:

I have the official Fujifilm adapter. I bought an eBay Chinese knockoff before but my M glass was so loose that it rattled in that. The Fuji adapter has that nifty button for focal length setting which is great if you swap lenses a lot I guess. (The L39/M adapter is from Voigtlander)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

whatever7 posted:

Vast majority of the NEX and XF adapter don't let you stop at the infinity. (Plus I just found out if I MF my Fuji 18-55mm on XE1, it goes beyond infinity too. In other words, I have no easy way to do "force infinity" with this lens).

now, i only have a K mount and MD mount adapter for my nex, but neither has infinity issues, i bought the cheapest adapter i could find on ebay. i'm getting an M42 adapter soon also.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just bought a Minolta MD/MC and a Leica M adapter from Rainbow Imaging (for $22 total), so I'll report back to the thread on how these specific el cheapo Chinese adapters work.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What do you all think?

Having gone from a 20D and the same 2 lenses to a used x100, we take so many more pictures it's amazing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Frobbe posted:

now, i only have a K mount and MD mount adapter for my nex, but neither has infinity issues, i bought the cheapest adapter i could find on ebay. i'm getting an M42 adapter soon also.

The issue isn't reaching infinity, it's having a proper hard stop at infinity (i.e., you throw the lens to infinity and the focus is actually at infinity).

The only adapter I have that actually nails that is my m42 adapter, my k mount, l39, and f mount adapters are all off slightly.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Fmount, Rmount, FD mount, Fujinons X mount, and K mount lovely budget fotodiox adapters all go pass hard stop infinity. You get what you pay for. Is it a huge deal? It can be if you scalefocus/prefocus your poo poo based on the lens distance markings. If you MF in viewfinder all the time, give no fucks about hard stop infinity.

This is my experience with adapters and the Fuji XE1, ymmv with other brands.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Canon 40D, with a 17-50 tamron, 50mm 1.8

I replaced this same setup plus a 70-200 F4L with an X100 and in a year I have only looked back when I needed the reach of the 70-200 when at my girlfriends college graduation.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Rontalvos posted:

I replaced this same setup plus a 70-200 F4L with an X100 and in a year I have only looked back when I needed the reach of the 70-200 when at my girlfriends college graduation.

I've just decided to keep my current setup for the time being. I just need to get out and shoot stuff, which is what I am going to do tomorrow on our hike. It isn't the camera .. it's me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a great move and can be really helpful if you DO decide to switch things up as you'll have a way better idea of what you'd want to accomplish with an upgrade. Could be you actually do want something smaller, but maybe it's a macro lens or even just a different DSLR else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

That's a great move and can be really helpful if you DO decide to switch things up as you'll have a way better idea of what you'd want to accomplish with an upgrade. Could be you actually do want something smaller, but maybe it's a macro lens or even just a different DSLR else instead.

I really know what I like to shoot (people/places) .. I just find that I don't push myself enough. I went out today at lunch and just did some snaps on my iPhone to at least take some pictures and was quite pleased with what I found .. when I was actually looking. :)