Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Agent355 posted:

You aren't going to show off the secret ending? The video that appears in the options menu or something when you manage to get an S-rank on all levels?

Sure I could just link it from youtube but...

It even references Rock knight adventures!

Doesn't he say he is going to in like the last 15 seconds of the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
There's a picture of a possum on there; I wonder what that's all about?!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Okay I'm sorry but you're flying on the space Winnebago from Spaceballs and that really undermines the tension of those levels.

Seriously try to unsee it now that I said that.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Isn't that the last video? (The possum picture?)

e:f;b On all levels. I even forgot to mention the Spaceballs thing.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Agent355 posted:

You aren't going to show off the secret ending? The video that appears in the options menu or something when you manage to get an S-rank on all levels?

Sure I could just link it from youtube but...

It even references Rock knight adventures!

You didn't click the Possum, did you?

e: Oh, hello new page of comments that I thought I had refreshed. Apparently not!

That final boss gauntlet seems mighty similar at times to Hard Corps. I like it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Guys just click on the Common Brushtail Possum it's not that hard jeez

Kid Chameleon looks like a game that's really cool and fun and varied and it looks great and sounds amazing, and then you realize that you have limited lives and continues and no save feature. If I had this as a kid, I'd have played it a bit but then ultimately gotten to a stage like that Sewer poo poo with all the blind jumps and rear end in a top hat enemy placements and never picked it up again. It's just something I could never, even as a little one, tolerate. Might also have to do with my first video game being Yoshi's Island which just had autosave all the time. Still, it's something I can't really understand. There's a game I had which did feature a password system, but only on the easiest difficulty, which removed all the bosses and an entire stage (of six) :psyduck:. Repetition is NOT difficulty, gah.

And it's a crying shame, too, again, because the game looks really awesome. I just could never play it without substantial safety nets, especially considering the length. gently caress up getting a cool teleport to a level you've not yet seen about two thirds through the game? Welp replay for a week because this poo poo is hard until you can reach that point again.

Unless I'm not getting something here.

Wiki mentions that re-releases add a save feature, which is imho the only thing Kid Chameleon would need to be extraordinarily fun to play [around with].

All in all, I'm probably most looking forward to your updates in this thread, Zeikier, just wanted to let you know because the Contra love kinda overshadows you :). Never been too much of a fan of bullets everywhere, no offense to the LPers (doing a great job, too). Wanna see more of that special brand of Genesis level design!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Simply Simon posted:

Kid Chameleon looks like a game that's really cool and fun and varied and it looks great and sounds amazing, and then you realize that you have limited lives and continues and no save feature. If I had this as a kid, I'd have played it a bit but then ultimately gotten to a stage like that Sewer poo poo with all the blind jumps and rear end in a top hat enemy placements and never picked it up again. It's just something I could never, even as a little one, tolerate. Might also have to do with my first video game being Yoshi's Island which just had autosave all the time. Still, it's something I can't really understand. There's a game I had which did feature a password system, but only on the easiest difficulty, which removed all the bosses and an entire stage (of six) :psyduck:. Repetition is NOT difficulty, gah.

And it's a crying shame, too, again, because the game looks really awesome. I just could never play it without substantial safety nets, especially considering the length. gently caress up getting a cool teleport to a level you've not yet seen about two thirds through the game? Welp replay for a week because this poo poo is hard until you can reach that point again.

Unless I'm not getting something here.

Wiki mentions that re-releases add a save feature, which is imho the only thing Kid Chameleon would need to be extraordinarily fun to play [around with].

All in all, I'm probably most looking forward to your updates in this thread, Zeikier, just wanted to let you know because the Contra love kinda overshadows you :). Never been too much of a fan of bullets everywhere, no offense to the LPers (doing a great job, too). Wanna see more of that special brand of Genesis level design!

We haven't quite gotten to the meat of this game's difficulty. Sinister Sewers has those blind jumps, but unless I was curious I'd always go for the top path as a kid. Of course, that has the threat of very fast rising platforms that'll crush you. And since Micromax is so slow it might catch you off guard and cost you a life. While holding down does let you see if there's a pit, a lot of times you're too caught up in the enemies to sit still. Plus, the lower level is covered in ice blocks. :argh:

Luckily, while there are limited lives and continues, they are practically everywhere. I already have 9 continues and we're not even to the first boss (granted, some of them hide better than others, and Stages are pretty long, but the game trains you to explore and find hidden blocks from level 2 on).

Kid Chameleon is an endurance game, one that expects you to know how to play it by the time you reach the final set of levels. I've never played the newer versions that have that save function, but it would be a lot better for people who don't want to subject themselves to playing the same early levels just to reach the part where they died over and over again.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 31, 2013

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Zeikier posted:

We haven't quite gotten to the meat of this game's difficulty. Sinister Sewers has those blind jumps, but unless I was curious I'd always go for the top path as a kid. Of course, that has the threat of very fast rising platforms that'll crush you. And since Micromax is so slow it might catch you off guard and cost you a life. While holding down does let you see if there's a pit, a lot of times you're too caught up in the enemies to sit still. Plus, the lower level is covered in ice blocks. :argh:
I personally would say that the game starts to become utterly obnoxious around the Crystal Crags level. I'm sure that everybody who's made it that far (and knowing how long KC is, that isn't even that far at all, which is the most horrific part) can agree with me on this. gently caress the Crystal Crags. I hate those stages the most, by far.

Of course, I haven't made it past Stairway to Oblivion yet, so I have no idea how bad the stages past it are. But if they're worse than Crystal Crags... :byodood:

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 31, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You know how the warp pipes in Super Mario Bros. were added so that experienced players could skip parts of the game they already knew how to beat? Kid Chameleon really needed more skips like that. There's one big skip in Under Skull Mountain (third set of levels in the game) take you to about the halfway point, but it requires you to have something like 100k points, which means doing a near-perfect speedrun up to that point. And of course, it's triggered by standing on an innocuous block, so good luck knowing that it's there!

Really, the game's just too damned big. In college some friends of mine made it to The Final Marathon by playing the game in turns; you pretty much have to do that (or else leave the console running while you sleep/eat/etc.) because it requires too much endurance otherwise. The game is definitely beatable, but you really have to earn it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You know how the warp pipes in Super Mario Bros. were added so that experienced players could skip parts of the game they already knew how to beat? Kid Chameleon really needed more skips like that. There's one big skip in Under Skull Mountain (third set of levels in the game) take you to about the halfway point, but it requires you to have something like 100k points, which means doing a near-perfect speedrun up to that point. And of course, it's triggered by standing on an innocuous block, so good luck knowing that it's there!

There are also the Bridges, which take you to a stage somewhere in the next Stage of levels. Of course, those are usually hidden in weird spots. The first one was at Isle of the Lion Lord, above and to the left of the Flag, which you need either Cyclone or a really well-placed Red Stealth jump to uncover.

You don't need to stand on a specific block to trigger the 100K Skip; you just need 100,000 points and it happens. You might be thinking of the Plethora skip, which is triggered by doing some inputs on the last block of Blue Lake Woods 2 above the flag.

Edit: Also, an interesting thing about jumps. This isn't that big of a deal most likely, but there are a lot of stages to momentum and jump height in this game. During my Lion Lord run, it took a few tries to actually get Red to jump to the shortcut ledge. I had to jump at the very edge of the ledge below that since there's one more stage of momentum that gives more height to your jump. I'm not sure how to describe it in game design terms, but Kid Chameleon plays with that a lot. In a game like Mario the jumps usually have a decent buffer for how high you need to jump so the difference between a running jump and a walking jump are essentially binary. KC feels a lot less binary with its momentum, plus there are those ledges where you have to use the most out of your momentum (that gap-running weirdness in Hills of the Warrior 1 might also be affected by the layers of momentum).

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 31, 2013

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Peekaboo! Just wanted to let y'all know I'm jonesing pretty hard for some Pid over here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zeikier posted:

There are also the Bridges, which take you to a stage somewhere in the next Stage of levels. Of course, those are usually hidden in weird spots. The first one was at Isle of the Lion Lord, above and to the left of the Flag, which you need either Cyclone or a really well-placed Red Stealth jump to uncover.

You don't need to stand on a specific block to trigger the 100K Skip; you just need 100,000 points and it happens. You might be thinking of the Plethora skip, which is triggered by doing some inputs on the last block of Blue Lake Woods 2 above the flag.

Ah, thanks for the corrections.

Oh yeah, your mention of needing Cyclone reminds me that there's a number of places where having the right helmet can let you trivialize several levels. For example, one of the levels starts you right next to the exit, but there's a wall of iron blocks in between. Zerker can just bash the blocks out of the way; everyone else has to take the long way around. Usually the helmet required is one that was last available quite some time ago, so you have to a) know to need the helmet, b) get it when it's available, and then c) avoid losing it. That last part is particularly tricky as there's no healing in the game (unless you count the Iron Knight's 50-diamond ability, I guess).

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ah, thanks for the corrections.

Oh yeah, your mention of needing Cyclone reminds me that there's a number of places where having the right helmet can let you trivialize several levels. For example, one of the levels starts you right next to the exit, but there's a wall of iron blocks in between. Zerker can just bash the blocks out of the way; everyone else has to take the long way around. Usually the helmet required is one that was last available quite some time ago, so you have to a) know to need the helmet, b) get it when it's available, and then c) avoid losing it. That last part is particularly tricky as there's no healing in the game (unless you count the Iron Knight's 50-diamond ability, I guess).

Oh yeah, I'll be showing of plenty of mask shenanigans like that. I don't think the disparity between masks is as obvious in later levels since they are a lot tighter in design (though there is one level where losing a certain mask turns it from relatively simple to a platforming nightmare).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Karate Bastard posted:

Peekaboo! Just wanted to let y'all know I'm jonesing pretty hard for some Pid over here.

I just thought the same thing myself the other day. The people have spoken!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zeikier posted:

I don't think the disparity between masks is as obvious in later levels since they are a lot tighter in design (though there is one level where losing a certain mask turns it from relatively simple to a platforming nightmare).

And I immediately knew which level you were talking about, though I can't remember its name.

This game does have a way of branding certain sections into your memory. Augh.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fiendly posted:

I just thought the same thing myself the other day. The people have spoken!

gently caress. I've been found out. Working on it; life (that being the "things no one cares about" I mentioned in the last update) just decided to rear its ugly head, and the last two weeks I've gotten zero LP work done. I'll see if I can hammer something out this weekend.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Fiendly posted:

The people have spoken!
Let me answer the call with something completely different. Sorry! :v:

So I decided to go along with another one of this thread's pseudo-fads and drop two updates at once. This would've been done a few days earlier but Murphy's Law reared its ugly head in the form of a couple of sick days. Have the last two stages of Journey to Silius, and now we can bring this one to a close. But don't worry, my involvement in this thread isn't quite over yet. I'll be back with some nifty tales about a boy who has some pretty ridiculous dreams about keys, candy, and more :suicide: inducing enemy placement.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
Journey to Silius was neat, never heard of it and the music was very good. Can't wait to see you play some Little Nemo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maximum Carnage

Yeah, this level is rear end. Better things are coming, though.

And since I'm a sheep, have a double update. I think everyone hates this boss.

Did I mention this boss is an rear end?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, you have no idea how long it took me to beat this stage without a cheating device. Friggan orbs. :argh:
Oh, side question-is there any way to view the bd hosted videos elsewhere? My droid phone won't play with that site.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Man, you have no idea how long it took me to beat this stage without a cheating device. Friggan orbs. :argh:
Oh, side question-is there any way to view the bd hosted videos elsewhere? My droid phone won't play with that site.
Most users will host on multiple sites for cases like this. I'm pretty sure, though, if no such option is available, then you don't have much of a choice, unfortunately.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

As a kid, the only way I could do this boss is by cheesing him with Venom. Unlike Spidey, Venom will kick on the first web-swing, so it was several minutes of swinging back and forth. I don't think I could hit the stupid robot on every swing, either.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

What a strange final level. No enemies at all and autoscrolling? I wonder if that was a major scramble/rushjob because of the licensing issue.

The whole game seems pretty frontloaded difficulty wise. Unlike other games the difficulty seems to be less about not having the tools to fight off the enemies and more like poor design...

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

What a strange final level. No enemies at all and autoscrolling? I wonder if that was a major scramble/rushjob because of the licensing issue.

The whole game seems pretty frontloaded difficulty wise. Unlike other games the difficulty seems to be less about not having the tools to fight off the enemies and more like poor design...
I would say it has the same faults as a lot of games did at the time, like falsifying difficulty by putting enemies in bastard locations (e.g. the zoom-by enemies that come at you as you're trying to hop over instant death pits in Stage 4) and reusing old enemies. Although, I will say they took a step up from many games by redesigning those enemies rather than slapping on a recolor in traditional :effort: game design of the early 90s.

However, I wouldn't say they gave up and threw it in a rush near the end, though. At least, in terms of the stages. Each stage always brought something new. Stage 2 introduced there being lifts so the stage wasn't a straight horizontal run. Stage 1 and 5 were the only ones that were a horizontal run, but Stage 5 had the autoscrolling gimmick which, although always a pain in games, is something new to bring to the table. Stage 3 introduced environmental hazards (the lasers and those spikes that attempt to hit you as you get close). Stage 4 seemed to be the only one that didn't actually bring anything new to the stage design (other than the falling blocks from above, along with the falling blocks you had to actually cross to proceed) but it tried to provide that mix of old'n'new with the enemy selection.

The only part of the game that I feel was an absolute rush was their attempt at wiping the game clean of its Terminator license. "What? We lost the license? Eh, just gently caress with the player sprite so he doesn't look like John Connor, redesign the intro and ending sequences (or lack thereof for the ending, which I will agree, probably seemed pretty drat rushed) and then ship that sucker out."

Needless to say, they somehow did a better job at avoiding copyright infringement unlike our friend Shinobi back there. As long as you don't know the history behind the game, you probably won't immediately guess that the bots in Stage 3 and the final boss were actually meant to be Terminators.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Time for Stage 3 of Castlevania, in which Tecmo found their inspiration for Ninja Gaiden.

Stage 3

I really like the escalating damage mechanic in Castlevania. It makes perfect sense to me that as the game progresses and you become more familiar with its mechanics and level design, that the punishment for failure escalates accordingly. I also like the fact that the damage is constant across the board. You take an equal amount of damage from both a stray fireball you could have whipped as you would from a Fleaman you could have whipped.

And we will be seeing more of both in the future. Many many more.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DeathChicken posted:

Maximum Carnage

Yeah, this level is rear end. Better things are coming, though.

And that boss is the farthest I ever made it in Maximum Carnage. I look forward to seeing what I missed out on/

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maximum Carnage

Boss rush, and the first proper fight with Carnage. Which I cheese, because gently caress Carnage.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

DeathChicken posted:

Maximum Carnage

Boss rush, and the first proper fight with Carnage. Which I cheese, because gently caress Carnage.

The game practically begs you to cheese Carnage there, it screams at you to not just try to straight up fight him by giving you those summon tokens. And it laughs at you for straight up fighting him if you do because he is really, really hard.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stage 2 - The Clocktower

Ah, another Castlevania staple...the Clocktower. Only this time it's completely optional! The only reason it's here is so you can pick up Grant Danasty, which...he's pretty lovely in the American version, especially when compared to the boss slayer known as Sypha. But alas, since it's the second quest, the game doesn't even give us the option to take him along! Oh well. Listening to the music in this level is reason enough to come here I guess!

Also, here's a look at the version differences for Stage 1 between the American version and the Japanese versions!

Choco1980 posted:

Just one little thing--I'd wager that "Warakiya" is probably a multi-translated mess version of "Walachia", as in the famous area in Transylvania.

I'm pretty certain that you're correct. As we all know, the translation for most of these early NES games weren't exactly top notch. (Hell, for that matter, they're still nothing to rave about even today for a lot of games.)

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

DeathChicken posted:

Maximum Carnage

A boss that's guaranteed to dodge attacks and they still have a combat accuracy total? Stay classy game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Castlevania 3 talk, but I heard that the clocktower is different in the Japanese version but can't really find any proof, know anything about that?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Castlevania 3 talk, but I heard that the clocktower is different in the Japanese version but can't really find any proof, know anything about that?

I'll be showing off all the little differences in the level soon. For the most part, it's the same however. The main difference is with the character you can pick up there, Grant. The Japanese version of him is actually....handy, while the American version has been nerfed beyond repair.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Triumph is ours!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh, you can't recruit them at all in the second quest? I thought that was just a self-imposed challenge, yikes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I'm almost disappointed that there were no references to The Power Team in your series. Nonetheless, this was the one NES game that I don't think ANYONE was capable of making look easy. Including the "strategy" videos of the time. It seems like so often when news agencies would have self-proclaimed nintendo experts on their shows, they always pulled this game out for them to show off their abilities. Assholes.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Allmightybob posted:

Triumph is ours!

I love when the ending makes you feel like all the hard work and effort you put in to beating the game was all so worth it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Great videos and thanks for the lp Bob

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

BMS posted:

The only reason it's here is so you can pick up Grant Danasty, which...he's pretty lovely in the American version,

Actually, I still found him handy in the American version. (Spoilered in case you show off the differences) He's still short enough to duck fireballs, he can still skip huge swathes of level by climbing, and while his attack was short and weak, it was fast enough to stabbity-stunlock beasties. I always felt the game was Sypha - Easy, Grant - Medium, Alucard - Hard.

When I was a kid, I thought the wall-meat was a sack, and for some reason my friends and I decided it was full of werewolf meat. Why would it have been werewolf meat? Kids are dumb.

Allmightybob posted:

Triumph is ours!

I can't thank you enough for showing off "Dragon's Tooth." I never figured out what that spell did!

Note that the Ironsword is apparently inferior to the Diamond sword, the armour is there to look at, and that the four elementals were, essentially, the same: Four walls with faces ('k, one floorface) that spit things , and then four spinny pictures that fired targeted projectiles. And your defense was always an limited-ammo ranged attack with a wonky path and four (if that) possible firing directions.

Seriously, the designers probably only tested if the game would start; they just wrote the code and walked away. It's too bad too. Conceptually, this game might be good if done with a different game engine, and some any imagination. And I loved it as a kid. Never bothered to get past IceFire though; probably got stuck at those slippery slopes you mentioned.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You know what this thread needs? More ninjas, that's what.

You guys may have heard of a little platformer for the Mega Drive called The Revenge of Shinobi. This isn't that game. It's it's much better sequel, Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master! (Or The Super Shinobi 2 in Japan)

Ninjas! Throwing knives! Bombs! A horse! All this and more, and with (mostly) no copyright infringement this time!

If you want a plot summary for some reason, here it is: "BAD GUYS! KILL THEM MR. NINJA!"

Junpei Hyde fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

That final boss was...weird.

"Here, fight smaller versions of the game's four bosses! Now they combine into a crescent-moon-wizard-head! Ready to fight him? Well, he's just gonna die. You win!"

• Locked thread