Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Having fun messing around with a Zombies deck online. Built it for almost nothing (<20 tix, though I had the duals/fetches). Not sure how good it actually is, but I always enjoy grindy graveyard decks.

4x Blood Artist
4x Blood Scrivener
4x Bloodghast
4x Gravecrawler
4x Tidehollow Sculler
2x Geralf's Messenger
1x Cartel Aristocrat
4x Lingering Souls
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Thoughtseize
3x Blasting Station
4x Faithless Looting
4x Marsh Flats
2x Verdant Catacombs
1x Sacred Foundry
3x Godless Shrine
3x Blood Crypt
5x Swamp
1x Plains
1x Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Sooooo about those Planeswalker changes for M14 onward... anybody want to take a stab at an all Jace, all the time deck?

Seriously, you could stack 12 Jaces in there and just chain the poo poo out of him.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Durette posted:

Sooooo about those Planeswalker changes for M14 onward... anybody want to take a stab at an all Jace, all the time deck?

Seriously, you could stack 12 Jaces in there and just chain the poo poo out of him.
And this would accomplish what? A 4 mana brainstorm is not that good.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

And this would accomplish what? A 4 mana brainstorm is not that good.

Some faster ways to mill esper control a victory?

Pump Jace Beleren to 10 (6 cards espered), esper control 20 cards in main, cast Memory Adept for another 10... that's 36 cards epsered within 5 turns? Plus another 15 drawn naturally would be 41 cards out of the library by that point?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Durette posted:

Some faster ways to mill esper control a victory?

Pump Jace Beleren to 10 (6 cards espered), esper control 20 cards in main, cast Memory Adept for another 10... that's 36 cards epsered within 5 turns? Plus another 15 drawn naturally would be 41 cards out of the library by that point?

No offense, you had it correct the first time by calling it mill. Esper is merely a specific color combination: UBW.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If you want to build a modern mill deck it doesn't really need to be Jaces. You could easily run glimpse the unthinkable, mind sculpt and snapcaster to do the same thing. Also, you can't mill emrakul so going against those kinds of decks means you lose unless you're packing a leyline of the void. :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Molybdenum posted:

If you want to build a modern mill deck it doesn't really need to be Jaces. You could easily run glimpse the unthinkable, mind sculpt and snapcaster to do the same thing. Also, you can't mill emrakul so going against those kinds of decks means you lose unless you're packing a leyline of the void. :(

Or Rest in Peace or Ravenous Trap.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

No offense, you had it correct the first time by calling it mill. Esper is merely a specific color combination: UBW.

Don't say that too loudly! They might hear you in standard! :ssh:

Molybdenum posted:

It's more about thinking through the new rules than any desire to run a deck like that. That you could pull off a 30 card mill in one turn is just begging to be exploited. Of course, getting there is a different story.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
All the modern legal jaces are terrible is the problem.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mulletstation posted:

All the modern legal jaces are terrible is the problem.

Jace Beleren seems to get a little bit of time in control decks. Though just as a singleton it seems.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yah, but it doesn't count as mill if it's done by the esper control deck in standard. You see, mill isn't tournament viable.

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.
Birthing pod is really starting to get annoying to play against. I feel as if its starting to take a hold of the format as well

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Past Nastification posted:

Birthing pod is really starting to get annoying to play against. I feel as if its starting to take a hold of the format as well

4x Pyroclasm, 4x Oblivion stone is a good way to counteract pod chains. I highly suggest trying out GR Urzatron.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

4x Pyroclasm, 4x Oblivion stone is a good way to counteract pod chains. I highly suggest trying out GR Urzatron.

Relic of Progenitus can stop Melira Pod's combos too, or at the very least stall them until you get another one or an answer. Most pod lists only have one pridemage (or harmonic sliver) and one eternal witness, so after two artifact nukes, they're spent and you're golden. They can still try and beat you down the old fashioned way, but having wurmcoils tends to make it difficult for them.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 30, 2013

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Relic of Progenitus can stop Melira Pod's combos too, or at the very least stall them until you get another one or an answer. Most pod lists only have one pridemage (or harmonic sliver) and one eternal witness, so after two artifact nukes, they're spent and you're golden. They can still try and beat you down the old fashioned way, but having wurmcoils tends to make it difficult for them.

Yeah 4 maindeck relics, as well as karn eating pod itself is a lot of maindeck hate for melira-pod.

The only downside is the crippling weakness to infect.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I actually don't mind this at all. I play Splinter Twin, and it kinda seems the worst matchups (G/B/x at like 30% winrate) are kinda driven out due to their poor Pod matchups. The remaining matchups are mostly long/interactive enough to make playskill the deciding factor. Pity modern doesn't matter much right now.

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.

Mulletstation posted:

Urza Tron in any color is terrible in my opinion. I hate hate hate Urza Tron, I don't know why but I can't stand it. I'd rather stick to trying to make Holy Jund work and losing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Urza Tron in any color is terrible in my opinion. I hate hate hate Urza Tron, I don't know why but I can't stand it. I'd rather stick to trying to make Holy Jund work and losing.

Show us on the doll where Karn touched you.

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.

Star Man posted:

Show us on the doll where Karn touched you.

Its the ability to get a turn 3 Coil that makes me cry at night

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I hate Urza Tron because they won't allow me to play with my Cloudposts instead.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Is tokens the only viable B/W deck option? I've been meaning to get into modern because I really like the idea of eternal formats, and as much as I'd love to get into Vintage my cards only really go back to Ice Age.

Anyways, I have a B/W deck based mainly around lifelink I use in my game group/at the LGS' casual night that looks like this:

Mainboard
2 Angel of Despair
2 Deathbringer Liege
2 Debtors' Knell
4 Divinity of Pride
4 Restless Apparition
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Mortify
4 Pillory of the Sleepless
6 Plains
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
10 Swamp
4 Unmake
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Voracious Hatchling

Sideboard (not so much a sideboard, but placeholder cards that got rotated out as I filled the deck out)
2 Edge of the Divinity
1 Felidar Sovereign
2 Immortal Servitude
2 Zealous Persecution
2 Necromancers Covenant
2 Exquisite Blood
2 Elixir of Immortality
2 Beckon Apparition

In the situations I play it, it performs pretty well and I have a lot of fun with it, it's probably one of my favourites. But fun doesn't equal tournament success, I suck at following meta, could I bite the bullet and grab 4 Marsh Flats and some Fetid Heaths (maybe replace Unmake with Path to Exile) and have a half way playable deck? Or would it just totally suck in every way. (Leaning towards the latter)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Hellequin posted:

Is tokens the only viable B/W deck option? I've been meaning to get into modern because I really like the idea of eternal formats, and as much as I'd love to get into Vintage my cards only really go back to Ice Age.

I quite like B/W Martyr-Proc (although its basically just splashing for things like Orzhov Charm and Vizkopa Guildmage, so you don't weaken the martyr's effect), and I've seen a few people try to splash black in Soul Sisters. I think Jackie Lee ran B/W Martyr-Proc back in San Diego, if you can find her list.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So, if you had a friend who has some $$ and is willing to buy into modern, what would you suggest? Melira pod? Affinity? BUG Infect?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

jassi007 posted:

So, if you had a friend who has some $$ and is willing to buy into modern, what would you suggest? Melira pod? Affinity? BUG Infect?

I would suggest a bunch of playtesting to see what archetype said friend likes. It's what I did before I dropped any cash monies on the format.

Probably not the answer you were looking for?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Hungry posted:

I would suggest a bunch of playtesting to see what archetype said friend likes. It's what I did before I dropped any cash monies on the format.

Probably not the answer you were looking for?

Do this. Figuring out what he enjoys playing is very important before dropping $ on a deck. That being said, Melira Pod and Infect are pretty cheap to build and so is Robots.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ScarletBrother posted:

and so is Robots.

Though probably $40 more than a couple of weeks ago now Mox Opal has gone up. Blinkmoth Nexus and Arcbound Ravager may become cheaper though, that just leaves Glimmervoid as the money card in there, and it may be reprinted yet.

If you have group willing to play test with loan cards or proxies that's probably the way.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

jassi007 posted:

If you're talking buckoos of bucks, Jund. It gets you most of the staples of the format, so you can switch decks at will. If you're not talking a grand, I'd look at Scapeshift. ChewyLSB had some great posts in this thread about the deck. Otherwise, Melira or Jiki Pod seem like good options.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Melira Pod leans on the expensive side now with Voice (at current prices) tech. I was pleased that RG Tron was fairly cheap cheap to buy, expensive sideboard included.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AnacondaHL posted:

Melira Pod leans on the expensive side now with Voice (at current prices) tech. I was pleased that RG Tron was fairly cheap cheap to buy, expensive sideboard included.

Voice is -sold out- on SCG at $50 a pop / $100 foil :wtc:

That can't be sustainable.. can it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

Voice is -sold out- on SCG at $50 a pop / $100 foil :wtc:

That can't be sustainable.. can it?

Absolutely not, although it is a very great 2 drop. Expect it to maybe peak at around 60 and then begin to decline later.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Though probably $40 more than a couple of weeks ago now Mox Opal has gone up.
Do you think this is stable, or is it just hype over the new legend rule? I have a foil Russian one I'd like to offload for a bunch.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 1, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Do you think this is stable, or is it just hype over the new legend rule? I have a foil Russian one I'd like to offload for a bunch.

I'm not the best for long-term speculation, but I don't think I see it going higher unless the new rules turn out to be even better than expected for it. Plus as far as I know it's only used in Affinity/Robots where a lot of people already fed spare Opals to Ravagers. I think it's more likely to go down than up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is "Robots"? I thought that was just a colloquial name for Affinity.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tharizdun posted:

What is "Robots"? I thought that was just a colloquial name for Affinity.

Robots is neo-Affinity, really. It has less reliance on the actual Affinity mechanic, but plays very similarly with a bunch of low-cost artifacts spearheading a quick kill.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, if there's a distinction I don't know what it is.

I wonder how long it will be until something is printed to change what gets played in the archetype? A decent artifact may show up from time to time, but you seem to need an artifact set for creatures. Guess Steel Overseer is from a Core Set.

Edit: yeah, I guess it's an acknowledgement that it doesn’t actually use Affinity any more.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Most people will understand what you're talking about when you say "Affinity" in the context of Modern decks, but some folks prefer "Robots" to be more precise. It's a little bit pedantic to me but it doesn't really hurt anything. :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"Affinity" implies some focus on the Affinity mechanic. "Robots" means massacres by robots. :black101:

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.
Deck: Budget Jund

//Main
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
2 Kitchen Finks
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Obstinate Baloth
2 Thragtusk
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Putrefy
1 Terminate
2 Swamp
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Blood Crypt
2 Forest
2 Godless Shrine
2 Mountain
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
2 Treetop Village
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Harmonize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Lingering Souls

Display deck statistics

The budget Holy Jund I'm building if there are any cheap alterations to the creatures or mana base feedback would be much appreciated. I can't afford more fetches, Tarmygofs, Liliana, or Bobs. But it't not like I'm going to a GP or anything I just want this deck to function for casual play against my friends or at FNM

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Deck: Budget Jund

//Main
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
2 Kitchen Finks
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Obstinate Baloth
2 Thragtusk
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Putrefy
1 Terminate
2 Swamp
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Blood Crypt
2 Forest
2 Godless Shrine
2 Mountain
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
2 Treetop Village
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Harmonize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Lingering Souls

Display deck statistics

The budget Holy Jund I'm building if there are any cheap alterations to the creatures or mana base feedback would be much appreciated. I can't afford more fetches, Tarmygofs, Liliana, or Bobs. But it't not like I'm going to a GP or anything I just want this deck to function for casual play against my friends or at FNM

Consider trying to find a home for Putrid leeches and bloodhall oozes. I have a budget jund deck on MTGO that uses them and turn one Deathrite into turn two bloodhall isn't goyf good but it isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I won a GPT with my Wafo-Tapa control deck yesterday.

This list to be specific

It was a whopping 8 players so it was just a single elim go around.

Round 1 - Affinity. I was pretty sure I had the byes in the bag, this was one of the few other competent players at the event.
Round 2 - Goblin tribal. See what I mean
I was scooped in but the last round would have been against RG tron, which has a possibility of being a rough matchup but I think I would have been able to take it down.

• Locked thread