Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Are we past the max fun drive yet this week? I donate but it's like public radio at this point where I don't even bother turning it on during pledge drive week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Yep, max fun drive is done so you don't have to sully your ears with their dirty, dirty begging.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I totally lost it with the Terminator bit.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any recommendation for other podcasts on the MF network? There's way too many for me to check out and if you like MBMAaM you're bound to have good taste.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Any recommendation for other podcasts on the MF network? There's way too many for me to check out and if you like MBMAaM you're bound to have good taste.

Throwing Shade, Memory Palace, and Stop Podcasting Yourself when they have a good guest on.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm still working through the huge backlog that they have, but I really like Stop Podcasting Yourself. It's got a very approachable conversational tone to it so while it's not as outright funny as MBMBaM it's certainly entertaining.

Edit - To a lesser extent I'd also recommend Judge John Hodgman and Throwing Shade, although the former varies from case to case and the latter requires you to be on board with their kinda insincere sense of humour.

Daius fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 23, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Throwing Shade is something I would show to a person that didn't understand the concept of "yes, and"

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Judge John Hodgman is mostly great, though they do get the occasional clunker of a case. Memory Palace is great, it's super well-produced and also incredibly short. Bullseye is great if you like the guests, but can be hit or miss if you don't care.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Al! posted:

Are we past the max fun drive yet this week? I donate but it's like public radio at this point where I don't even bother turning it on during pledge drive week.

If you're into Dan Savage at all, I'd at least check out the first pledge drive episode, since they got him to help with some choice yahoos. Things got interesting to say the least.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Crindee posted:

Holy poo poo the "Annihilator" discussion during this week's Extreme Restraints ad killed me.

Justin's quick "uh oh!" after "my boyfriend is small -- only six inches" had me laughing like a god drat maniac while walking through crowded NYC streets.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I feel like the less actual, serious advice the brothers give, the better. They usually give sound advice, but it's boring to hear Travis talk for five minutes about who pays for dinner.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I feel like the less actual, serious advice the brothers give, the better. They usually give sound advice, but it's boring to hear Travis talk for five minutes about who pays for dinner.

I disagree with this but I certainly prefer ridiculous nonsense.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Al! posted:

Throwing Shade, Memory Palace, and Stop Podcasting Yourself when they have a good guest on.

Stop Podcasting Yourself always. The best SPYs are actually the guestless ones. And for some reason they have a whole entourage of hilarious Canadian comics you've never heard of. Also PFT.

SPY is the funniest show, goddamn

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
To extrapolate, because I consider myself kind of a dyed-in-the-wool MFster:

JJGO! used to be extremely funny and now it's still pretty funny, but they've undergone a major tonal shift in the past few months. Jesse has become a little more esoteric and Jordan has become more subdued, the guests have become less central to the show and more low-key, and even the production is softer and quieter, it seems. It used to be a wacky show that had classic quotables spilling over the rim, but now it's mostly about a guy in a tweed jacket trading nostalgia riffs with his stoner friend in a hushed, post-ironic murmur. IDK, it's still got some great moments these days, but it's far and away not the best MF show.

JJHO is a must listen. Not all episodes are extremely hilarious, but John Hodgman is a well-put-together man with a lot of actual sane life advice that's always fascinating to listen to, even if the case is banal. Plus, he's very quick-witted and every few episodes the litigants are large enough personalities that he can bounce off of them and be very funny indeed. JJHO is mostly interesting about 60% of time and mostly hilarious about 40%.

Int'l Waters is mostly hilarious and I like it because it has a release schedule that's short enough to not forget about, but long enough to start missing it right before the newest episode comes out. Warning: high Jesse content.

SPY is incredibly, incredibly funny, and they have a very unique style that I can't describe without overused descriptors like "absurd" and "referential", but it's very much a laugh-a-minute sort of show with the laughs landing with surprising consistency, and they've got a great roster of regular guests. Please listen to any of the PFT shows. SPY is criminally underappreciated.

Bullseye is good if you like interview shows, Jesse legitimately is a great interviewer and he usually has very interesting guests on, but I prefer comedy podcasts so YMMV.

Throwing Shade I think is good in small doses, their schtick is very precious and usually very predictable, but they're good in a sketchy sort of context and they have the right opinions on things.

RISK is like the Moth hosted by a really loving annoying guy

Wham Bam Pow is mostly boring, but you can tell they're just starting to catch their stride. Cameron Esposito dominates on the podcast, and I find her mostly insufferable, a comedian who doesn't know how to write punchlines. It could be good when Rhea and Ricky find their comfort zone.

Still haven't heard Memory Palace, what is that one about?

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 29, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

quadrophrenic posted:

Still haven't heard Memory Palace, what is that one about?

Memory Palace is interesting but content starved. Nate DiMeo shares a funny/beautiful/touching moment from history, such as the invention and decline of the original Ferris Wheel, or the death of Edgar Allan Poe as one would a short story. They're around 5 minutes long and I think they only release on a monthly basis.

Jesse interviewed him recently as a piece of donor exclusive content, which I really think ought to be generally released, since it explains the show's history and Nate's fascination with memory, I listened to it before my first episode, and the sings he says seem to ring true.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

quadrophrenic posted:

RISK is like the Moth hosted by a really loving annoying guy

Wham Bam Pow is mostly boring, but you can tell they're just starting to catch their stride. Cameron Esposito dominates on the podcast, and I find her mostly insufferable, a comedian who doesn't know how to write punchlines. It could be good when Rhea and Ricky find their comfort zone.

I agree with most of what you said and just want to comment on these two things. Yes, Risk is a storyteller show like The Moth, but it's a lot more irreverent and dirty, and also the episodes are typically an hour long and feature a few stories relating to a loose theme, so you're not stuck with a single 10-15 minute story that you either love or hate. Kevin Allison is indeed very annoying and has a very weird affect, also he greatly overestimates how much people care about what is going in his butt.

I'm glad that someone else says that Cameron Esposito is insufferable, and you are absolutely spot on when pointing out that she does not know how punchlines work. I've been trying to figure out how to describe what irks me about her and that's it. I think I have a similar issue with Jackie Kashian (sp), but it seems like a lot of comedians I like are quite fond of her.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 29, 2013

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Sometimes I'll go a week or two skipping SPY because I listen to too drat many podcasts that all drop on Mondays, but then when I get to them I remember how delightful they are and remember why I haven't dropped the feed like so many other things I can't keep up with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea too many of my favorites drop on Monday and Tuesday so I sometimes wind up forgetting one or two like SPY. Always a treat when I look at my list and go 'oh right, Stop Podcasting Yourself!' though.

Maxfun is a really solid network in general, to me at least. JJGo has kinda hit this weird bump but its still good, it's just...different and kinda weird now.

Also, Bullseye is a treat if you like interviews, like already said Jesse is a simply wonderful interviewer and usually keeps his guests good and interesting. If you wanna hear him be more serious it's a great podcast.

Still I think I can listen to Throwing Shade and MBMBaM all day long though.

Speaking of MBMBaM, goddamn I want WOLF SCHOOL to be a thing somehow.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
RIP Ira Ray Bit

2013-2013

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

quadrophrenic posted:

JJGO! used to be extremely funny and now it's still pretty funny, but they've undergone a major tonal shift in the past few months. Jesse has become a little more esoteric and Jordan has become more subdued, the guests have become less central to the show and more low-key, and even the production is softer and quieter, it seems. It used to be a wacky show that had classic quotables spilling over the rim, but now it's mostly about a guy in a tweed jacket trading nostalgia riffs with his stoner friend in a hushed, post-ironic murmur. IDK, it's still got some great moments these days, but it's far and away not the best MF show.
Yeah, I can agree with this. When I first started listening to the show around '08, there were these great episodes - especially the guestless ones - where the discussion became so surreal and full of tangents that I couldn't help burst out laughing. Now it's kind of sinked into following a really predictable routine. Moving the show out of being recorded in his house and into a legit studio seemed to be the clincher for this.

SPY is also really good when it's just the two of them and they get into a rhythm. My only complaint is that some of their comedian friends veer into the far-left territory. It doesn't happen often, but there are those occasions where the comedy comes to a halt as the guest yammers on about some alternative medicine thing they are into.

Memory Palace is good but it doesn't fit the vibe of the rest of the shows at all.

Judge John Hodgeman is good but is occasionally dragged down when it becomes obvious the guests deliberately came up with the wacky circumstance to get on the show and are playing along, and are never as good at it as they think they are.

MBMBAM is by far the funniest, though. My only concern is that the Yahoo Answers seem to now come from the same two people clearly scouring the site for the show so I'm wondering if we are at the point where we can see the bottom of that comedy well.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

kuddles posted:

MBMBAM is by far the funniest, though. My only concern is that the Yahoo Answers seem to now come from the same two people clearly scouring the site for the show so I'm wondering if we are at the point where we can see the bottom of that comedy well.

Maybe with the end of the Ira Ray bit they might move on to other contributors, they say they get a bunch of them but apparently think Ira always picks the best ones.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

That's happened throughout the run of the show -- some particular listener will send in a ton of the Yahoo Answers for several months, then fall off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
New sampler is up, go share with your friends and poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjuBTXuYHhM

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I've listened to all the back episodes over the last couple of months, and once or twice Griffin read some insane articles from eHow or one of those sites, and they were fantastic. I wouldn't be opposed to them going down that road a little more.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The thing that makes Yahoo Answers such a bottomless comedy pit is that there's no restrictions on topics, so even if one week they run out of hilarious ones, there's still a billion super weird ones that they can riff on. I mean, I doubt the internet's going to stop asking whether it's ok to write messages on your dog or why the Home Alone cameraman just stood there and videotaped everything instead of helping, any time soon. Also, from the sound of things, Griffin has a couple dozen Yahoos ready to go every week, so it's not like they're starting to run short on them or anything.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Civil Twilight posted:

That's happened throughout the run of the show -- some particular listener will send in a ton of the Yahoo Answers for several months, then fall off.

RIP Jacob Locker

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

VDay posted:

whether it's ok to write messages on your dog

gently caress you, Ron Don Don Johnson!

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

RIP Jacob Locker

He's busy with spring training for the Titans.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I really hope Orb competes for the Triple Crown, cause I want that to be a recurring bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You gotta feel bad for Cube, he just needed a push!

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
After lots of nagging from friends I finally listened to MBMBaM for the first time today on my commute (enjoyed their 2 samplers yesterday).

I had to post, it's so good. I almost drove off the road and crashed when they got to the whole Dom DeLouise stuff. Holy poo poo, I was actually crying I was laughing so hard.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Travis is really killing it with the one-liners lately. I used to groan every time he would try to make a quick joke, but I'm pretty much waiting for them to happen these days. "A closed fist holds no jelly." almost made me choke on my sandwich.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Does anyone remember the episode where they talk about Brick, Brock, and Bruck (Guys come on, it's pronounced 'Bruce'!) I want to hunt it down and listen to it again, but that's a hell of a backlog to search through.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Candlenights 2011.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Justin and Sydney/Sydnee/Sidnee/Cidney/Crindee's new podcast is out, anybody listen yet? It's called Sawbones, it's about bizarre medical practices (this one's about trepanning). I miss the Sat Dish, but this was interesting, and J.T. (as he prefers to be called now) is funny in pretty much any setting. If you liked the Modelland specials, this follows that basic formula: she recites crazy poo poo, he flips out.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Did they end Sat Dish and I just missed it or something? :(

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

Beard Yawn posted:

Did they end Sat Dish and I just missed it or something? :(

Seems that way but they have started a new show called Sawbones.

quote:

Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her husband Justin (that's us!) are thrilled to welcome you to Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine. Every Friday, we'll be digging through the annals of medical history to uncover all the odd, weird, wrong, dumb and just gross ways we've tried to fix people over the years. Educational? You bet! Fun? We hope!

This week, we're starting off with a hole right in your noggin: Trepanation. Won't you join us? We hope you will.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well I'm bummed there's no more Sat Dish but hey, Justin and however you spell his wife's name are funny and entertaining wherever.

Also I can't believe no one's mentioned how this week's episode of MBMBAM was so great.

"You may be my ticket, Whistlin Sarah. What's your special talent? Oh right, whistlin, ol Pork and Beans should have figured that out. Here's the worst part, I don't even like pork and beans."

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I was just about to ask if Sat Dish was over, I just checked iTunes a couple weeks ago and saw they hadn't updated for a long time. I guess I'll give this new one a shot, though I'm going to miss them going off on TV shows with their sometimes stupid and uninformed opinions, that was always good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Is it a running joke that Travis constantly references The Giver, or is that just the only book he's ever read?

• Locked thread