Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How are you guys playing this with on screen controls? How do you build anything??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't mind the price, and I could just about live with the 2 GB requirement so long as I marathoned it to free up the space again later. What kills it for me is the need to have 4.5 GB of free space to install it in the first place. I traded down to a 16 GB mini and I just can't find that much space for one game right now, not with all my work files on it too.

XCOM is going to break my heart when the install size is known.

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but can't confirm: download the app/game on your PC and install it through iTunes. It does whatever un-archiving on the computer so you don't need the x2.5 extra space on the device.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but can't confirm: download the app/game on your PC and install it through iTunes. It does whatever un-archiving on the computer so you don't need the x2.5 extra space on the device.

We need a trip report on this because if this works that helps so much.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I can confirm that works. My old 16GB iPad 2 is pretty much full, so big apps can't update, although obviously there's enough space for the apps themselves as they're already on the device. So whenever a big app needs updating I have to deal with that stupid red badge on the app store until I can be bothered into plugging it in and syncing it with iTunes. As long as the newer version has been downloaded into my Mac's library, it "installs" the newer versions just fine with the available space.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don't know, I tried this twice in past trying to get The World Ends With You on my 16GB iPhone (which had a little over 3GB space free) and it wouldn't install. Not saying it doesn't work in all cases, but it for sure, 100% didn't work in that case. Twice.

edit: The World Ends With You is something like 2.5GB installed.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Fuuuuck. Gotta earn enough money for the quad bike THEN run over two hundred zombies.

I've bought and upgraded the bike and its still such a cocksucker.

The lever action may be the best gun, especially with double ammo and fast reload.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

Try these:
Phoenix wright, beastie bay, dead run, and Magika. And luckily all of them are free to play.

Dungeon Village (also a Kairosoft game like BEastie Bay and Game Dev Story) and Dragon Island Blue (Pokemon-ish game) work fine on an iPhone/Pod as well. So do Final Fantasy 1&2 but FF2 is one of the worst Final Fantasy games (FF3 is probably the only one that's worse).

Dragon Island Blue goes free sometimes but even at $0.99 you can play through it entirely without ever spending money. You just won't get more than 1 dragon without a lot of luck on those stupid rolls or finding one in the spots where they have something like a 0.1% chance of appearing. You don't really need more dragons, but making a Dragoon later on is nice because Concussion is a brutal ability.

Also try Battle Cats. :sun:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Get Kingsturn if you need a recommendation. I've been playing it for my commute every single day since someone recommended it here a while ago. It's free to try too.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Stormfang1502 posted:

To be fair, the additional characters in the physical board game cost like $12 or $15 each.

and that makes no difference what so ever. They are still overpriced.

Edit: Are there any good virtual card games for the ipad yet? or maybe virtual card website that works well on the ipad? If somebody made a good one they could potentially make a lot of money.

I purchased WHQ and find it quite enjoyable to play but cant help but think what if a D&D game was made like this with the ability to chat and play online, build your own adventures, etc. It would be amazing.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 2, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corridor posted:

^^^ Survivalcraft, I think. It has all the Minecraft elements that the MC dev said it was impossible to port to iOS.

Parkingtigers posted:

Yes, SurvivalCraft. It's an excellent game that really does offer a much fuller Minecraft experience on mobile than MCPE does. Infinite worlds, natural cave systems, electrical systems (pretty much a full redstone alternative apart from pistons, but almost made up for by one-block logic gates). Also it's goddamn gorgeous looking, with weather effects, sunsets, and you can download texture packs and hot swap them.

It's $4 well spent.

busfahrer posted:

The other one you're asking for probably is Block Fortress.

Those are the ones, thanks guys.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Catsplosion posted:

and that makes no difference what so ever. They are still overpriced.

Your opinions are terrible. (In my opinion, obviously)

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Warhammer Quest is fun, but super buggy on my iPad 2. Over a dozen crashes in the pat two days. Currently I'm stuck fighting Clakus, and it crashes every time he dies and the dialogue box comes up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any more micro game type things like Dumb Ways to Day? It's scratching an itch I didn't know I had, and I'd like some more.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just had such a stupidly long dungeon in WHQ with so many random spawns that I got enough experience to make the game say I could level up my maxed out archer. 33k experience. At one point I got stuck in a cycle of random spawns appearing at one end of a long hall, then the other.

If you're wondering, getting more than 32k experience just makes it say you can level up. Nothing happens in town. I was kind of hoping there would be more than six levels to gain.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Emron posted:

I just had such a stupidly long dungeon in WHQ with so many random spawns that I got enough experience to make the game say I could level up my maxed out archer. 33k experience. At one point I got stuck in a cycle of random spawns appearing at one end of a long hall, then the other.

If you're wondering, getting more than 32k experience just makes it say you can level up. Nothing happens in town. I was kind of hoping there would be more than six levels to gain.

Do you have the expansion? Someone said it went to 10 earlier in the thread. I'm still grinding to get my party to 6 to tackle the final dungeon. Then debating picking up the expansion, because its still fun. Also trying hardcore and holy poo poo most of my party keeps getting wiped due to lovely rolls.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

KGBAgent185 posted:

Do you have the expansion? Someone said it went to 10 earlier in the thread. I'm still grinding to get my party to 6 to tackle the final dungeon. Then debating picking up the expansion, because its still fun. Also trying hardcore and holy poo poo most of my party keeps getting wiped due to lovely rolls.

Yeah, this was in a Skaven story dungeon.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know if I'm getting this new merchant app one goon made - I'm just buying/selling and not really giving a poo poo - does it open up or is it this?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Dickeye posted:

Are there any more micro game type things like Dumb Ways to Day? It's scratching an itch I didn't know I had, and I'd like some more.

McPixel is a collection of short puzzles based on adventure game logic that's pretty good.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Gann Jerrod posted:

McPixel is a collection of short puzzles based on adventure game logic that's pretty good.

The kind of decisions you make in McPixel wouldn't even make logical sense in Kyrandia 3. It's a neat game but I found myself losing interest pretty quickly. Something about it just didn't catch with me.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Get Kingsturn if you need a recommendation. I've been playing it for my commute every single day since someone recommended it here a while ago. It's free to try too.

Having finished story mode a while ago, last night I blasted hrough skirmish mode in one go, from 10pm to 5am. This game is loving addicting and the amount of content and playtime you get for the price is insane. Kingturn RPG, everyone.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there some kind of Theme Hospital-like game available? I remember reading about a port of it on Android, just wondering if they ever had a go at an iOS version.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Looking for a recommendation on a game.

I'd like something a bit privateer-ish, if that makes any sense. Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

I know this is vague but I can see what I want in my head and this is an itch I've been trying to scratch for a while.

Yes, I'm aware of Star Command but frankly from watching online videos etc of it I get the feeling that if I plunk down money on that I'm only going to be disappointed. That one just looks too railroaded to be honest.

Honestly I should just deal with it and re-install X3 on my computer but I'm kind of in a time crunch right now and trying to avoid doing any gaming more intensive than what I can get away with on an iPad.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There's always that old classic Space Miner I think it was called.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I know this was asked a bunch of times when the game first came out but I can't find the posts now, how does TWEWY on iPad compare with the DS version? Am I going to be missing out on anything because of the lack of split screen?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

Not a capital ship, but this sounds like Arc Squadron https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arc-squadron/id512808632?mt=8

I think it's goon made to.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

loudog999 posted:

I know this was asked a bunch of times when the game first came out but I can't find the posts now, how does TWEWY on iPad compare with the DS version? Am I going to be missing out on anything because of the lack of split screen?

I think it's better than the DS version. The only thing they really scrapped is the top screen in battles by turning partners into badges. As someone who hated having to manage the top screen I think it was for the best.

Plus the HD graphics look really nice.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
So someone said the best class choice in KOTOR was soldier. Any recommendations on point and skill allocation? I don't want to choose a bunch of skills that other characters in my party have.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Catsplosion posted:

Edit: Are there any good virtual card games for the ipad yet? or maybe virtual card website that works well on the ipad? If somebody made a good one they could potentially make a lot of money.

There's a M:tG game for the iPad. It's a port of the latest DotP game, so it has no real deckbuilding, instead giving you prebuilt decks and letting you unlock and then swap out cards to your pleasing. Definitely the best (trading) card game on iOS. There's a ton of other offerings but none of them really scratch the itch for me.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I think it's better than the DS version. The only thing they really scrapped is the top screen in battles by turning partners into badges. As someone who hated having to manage the top screen I think it was for the best.

Plus the HD graphics look really nice.

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and get it then. I am needing a new rpg and it was down to this or KOTOR, but for some reason I lost interest in that game when it first came out around the water planet, I am afraid the same will happen again.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

There's a M:tG game for the iPad. It's a port of the latest DotP game, so it has no real deckbuilding, instead giving you prebuilt decks and letting you unlock and then swap out cards to your pleasing. Definitely the best (trading) card game on iOS. There's a ton of other offerings but none of them really scratch the itch for me.

You might want to wait on this since the 2014 version (which has some deck building) should be coming by the end of the month.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Looking for a recommendation on a game.

I'd like something a bit privateer-ish, if that makes any sense. Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

Try Galaxy on Fire.

Duranki posted:

So someone said the best class choice in KOTOR was soldier. Any recommendations on point and skill allocation? I don't want to choose a bunch of skills that other characters in my party have.

The biggest recommendation is to level as little as possible on the first world. That's arugably more important in the long run than what the first couple points you spend on something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DrManiac posted:

You might want to wait on this since the 2014 version (which has some deck building) should be coming by the end of the month.

I always wondered at what point some genius decided to kill deckbuilding in those games. I remember there was some ancient as gently caress MtG game back when I actually played physical MtG. This would have been middleschool or way early high school so. . . maybe 1994-8 or so? Anyways even that old as gently caress no-multiplayer (that I was aware of at least) game had deckbuilding as a core feature of it.

You know, because deck building was the whole loving point of the physical game.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Duranki posted:

If its exactly like the PC game then best choice is Scoundrel, but you want to level it as slow as you can so you can get more Jedi levels later.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I always wondered at what point some genius decided to kill deckbuilding in those games. I remember there was some ancient as gently caress MtG game back when I actually played physical MtG. This would have been middleschool or way early high school so. . . maybe 1994-8 or so? Anyways even that old as gently caress no-multiplayer (that I was aware of at least) game had deckbuilding as a core feature of it.

You know, because deck building was the whole loving point of the physical game.

They focus on deck building in MTG online, where you have to pay for the cards like you do in real life. Like the Nimblebit dudes like to point out, it's a business first. Duels is meant to be a kind of gateway drug to the (more expensive) real thing, as far as I understand, but I just play duels, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Duranki posted:

Persuasion is the only thing that matters for you. Every other skill check can be handled by a party member. Awareness and Treat Injury are useful, but unnecessary.

Don't worry about not leveling up on Taris, as it can trigger a bug that makes it harder to level up later. Stop at five or six levels if you must, because you'll want the shitloads of HP and BAB and other poo poo the game doesn't outright tell you about because get hosed. The system is a d20 variant if you're a PnP dude and should be pretty easier to grasp if you're familiar with D20/DND/Star Wars SAGA Edition.

Don't worry about minmaxing too much just play the game. It's pretty hard to get stuck.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 2, 2013

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Duranki posted:

I was wondering about this too - I'm brand new to KOTOR and was wondering if the "recommended" points (16 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 12 wis, 10 cha) for soldier were going to screw me in the long run.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Bummey posted:

The kind of decisions you make in McPixel wouldn't even make logical sense in Kyrandia 3. It's a neat game but I found myself losing interest pretty quickly. Something about it just didn't catch with me.
In Kyrandia's 3 defense, the puzzles in Kyrandia 1 and 2 didn't really make any more sense.

They were all awesome games despite, but the end puzzle sequence of Kyrandia 2 was still the height of bizarre.

... also, there's kinda no way to screw yourself in KOTOR unless you intentionally set intelligence to 0 or something. Just make a dude or dudette, swing some lightsabers, use some force. It's not an Obsidian game, there isn't hidden content you can only find with a specific weird build.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Anyone know about the Tales of the World tactics game in the JP store? Or how FFV plays? We don't have Final Fantasy V in the US store, do we?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Emron posted:

Yeah, this was in a Skaven story dungeon.

Well poo poo. On a different note, mind reporting on the expansion? Worth the $5 is it about the same size as the main campaign? Can you start at level 1 and does it have more equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arcaeris posted:

Anyone know about the Tales of the World tactics game in the JP store? Or how FFV plays? We don't have Final Fantasy V in the US store, do we?
FFV is indead in the US store and it is a fairly good port. I'm going to do the FFV Four Job Fiesta on the iOS version.

• Locked thread