Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I just bought 10 rolls of shanghai gp3 since it was ~£2 a roll, is it actually as terrible as it seems? Most of the example shots I remember from this thread were 4x5, and didn't look too terrible for the investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mightaswell posted:

Well, popped my 120 cherry, and waiting for my Portra 800 negs from my RB67 to come back.

~anticipation~

How long have you had the RB67 now?

The Clit Avoider posted:

I just bought 10 rolls of shanghai gp3 since it £2 a roll, is it actually as terrible as it seems? Most of the example shots I remember from this thread were 4x5, and didn't look too terrible for the investment.

Yes.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Ah well. I'm not expecting anything brilliant, you get what you pay for with photography. I'll just use it for locational test shots.

[edit] Speaking of impulse buys, I bought a Fujinon SW 90mm f8 for $130.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 30, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The Clit Avoider posted:

[edit] Speaking of impulse buys, I bought a Fujinon SW 90mm f8 for $130.

I already have a 90mm f/8, but that's a hell of a buy. Jealous.

edit: what LF camera are you putting it on, out of curiosity? I'm not sure I've seen you post about it/pictures taken with it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

MrBlandAverage posted:

How long have you had the RB67 now?

It came in the mail like a day before my kid was born, so....6 months?

To be fair I shot a test roll of b&w which I never got around to developing.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Just an old Calumet CC-400, I don't post any LF because my scanner isn't up to the job (and I'm terrible at putting aside days to scan 120 as it is). Alongside that, after putting it down a bit in this thread, I actually ended paying for a travelwide 90 as well, since what the hell, so when that arrives it'll be another possibility.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Am I doing this right?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

copen posted:

Am I doing this right?

No, don't shoot 6x4.5 when you own a 6x7 camera.:colbert:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Nonsense. How are you going to learn to see The Matrix except by shooting 645 without a viewfinder mask? :colbert:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Somebody please do a repeating series of viewfinder photos starting with their smallest camera and ending with their largest.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

nonanone posted:

Somebody please do a repeating series of viewfinder photos starting with their smallest camera and ending with their largest.

But what will they take the photo with? :owned:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cell phone, duh. Then post it on Instagram.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

8th-samurai posted:

No, don't shoot an RB67, it's a boat anchor.:colbert:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Does anyone here have any (negative) experience using a Toyo field camera? The more I read about 4x5 outfits, the more this seems like an ideal set up for me.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

aliencowboy posted:

Does anyone here have any (negative) experience using a Toyo field camera? The more I read about 4x5 outfits, the more this seems like an ideal set up for me.

It's kinda heavy and doesn't have very many movements, but it's simple, cheap, built really well, and it's very sturdy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

I'm sure I won't be the only one here to say that Chamonix is by far the best bang for the buck in field cameras.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Boat Anchor.

This is the truth, It is a neat camera and I got a good deal on it. But sadly it just sits around because it is too huge to take anywhere (Although I think I drug this beast to jamaica and let it sit in my hotel without taking any pictures). And 6x7 backs are expensive.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

copen posted:

This is the truth, It is a neat camera and I got a good deal on it. But sadly it just sits around because it is too huge to take anywhere (Although I think I drug this beast to jamaica and let it sit in my hotel without taking any pictures). And 6x7 backs are expensive.

The dorkroom must be filled with tiny people. The RB isn't that big, and it's a good size and shape for carrying.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

a foolish pianist posted:

The dorkroom must be filled with tiny people. The RB isn't that big, and it's a good size and shape for carrying.

uh huh. i sold back my RZ after a year. it was pretty drat impractical even though it was manageable. i'm pretty certain it was designed to be a studio camera, too?

anyway so i wont be posting much here this summer. dont have my desktop around so no scanning or editing. i accidentally got a cd when i had a roll dev'd from my fuji gw690, though:

the quality seems better than my v500 at home. too bad its still not worth it.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm 6'10 and 220 pounds. I can take it anywhere I chose not to.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

copen posted:

If you used it to shoot 645 I can see why you would have made the choice not to. The value proposition changes a little when you have that much less negative. 6x7 is glorious by comparison, and if $60 for a 6x7 back is too much money to spend for you, you probably shouldn't be shooting medium format film to begin with.

Here is a picture from one of the many times I went hiking with my RZ67.

Garden of the Gods by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Well, these days, I'm hiking with my 4x5, so I guess my opinion probably doesn't mean much in this discussion anyway.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you used it to shoot 645 I can see why you would have made the choice not to. The value proposition changes a little when you have that much less negative. 6x7 is glorious by comparison, and if $60 for a 6x7 back is too much money to spend for you, you probably shouldn't be shooting medium format film to begin with.

Here is a picture from one of the many times I went hiking with my RZ67.

Garden of the Gods by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Well, these days, I'm hiking with my 4x5, so I guess my opinion probably doesn't mean much in this discussion anyway.

Actually this is exactly right I don't carry it because its a 9 pound 645 camera right now. I need to get more lenses and a 6x7 back. I'm lusting for a hassie though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

copen posted:

The 6x7 is probably the only thing weighing you down to the Earth, you skinny person.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

copen posted:

Actually this is exactly right I don't carry it because its a 9 pound 645 camera right now. I need to get more lenses and a 6x7 back. I'm lusting for a hassie though.

Yeah, big negatives own, but conversely small cameras also own. I usually settle this by carrying an Olympus XA as a backup/meter with an awesome 35mm lens for some big, heavy, possibly meterless camera.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, big negatives own, but conversely small cameras also own.

Solution: Meet somewhere in the middle with a Mamiya 7!

Unfortunately they hold their value well enough that I can't ever justify buying one.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

psh my 69 is 3.2 lb :smug:

Paul MaudDib posted:

... for some big, heavy, possibly meterless camera.

I haven't used a meter in years and it hasn't mattered - even with slide. Then again theyre personal snapshots and not work.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

guidoanselmi posted:

psh my 69 is 3.2 lb :smug:

I don't know how heavy my 69 is, I'll have to get us on the scale next time your mom comes over.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm sure I won't be the only one here to say that Chamonix is by far the best bang for the buck in field cameras.

These look hot. I wan't one. I don't deserve one.

edit:

Unghh. Only 3 pounds, of course you need a 6 pound tripod probably (which I have).

copen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 2, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

copen posted:

edit:

Unghh. Only 3 pounds, of course you need a 6 pound tripod probably (which I have).

My bag with a Chamonix, 10 holders, 3 lenses and a meter is about half the weight of my old medium format bag.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Gowland 4x5 Pocket View for life :whatup:

Why yes, I'm going to be listing mine for sale soon, why do you ask?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
How's the yashica-c? I'm negotiating with some old hippie about hers

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Gowland 4x5 Pocket View for life :whatup:

Why yes, I'm going to be listing mine for sale soon, why do you ask?

Tell me more...
(Seriously, I'd be quite interested)

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Molten Llama posted:

Solution: Meet somewhere in the middle with a Mamiya 7

This is what I did recently. I got a great price on a 7ii with the very well spoken of 43mm lens, and jumped on it. That little leaf shutter is so easy to fire at slow speeds (much easier than the Hasselblad).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

copen posted:

edit:

The tripod/head combo I usually put mine on weighs 3 pounds :whatup:

And yeah, my LF bag is way lighter than my MF bag, even if it's larger.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm pretty sure my Manfrotto tripod with ballhead is rated for up to 6 pounds and weighs about 4. Would you mind showing your large format bags?

(I want to see how they stack up against Reichstag's instax fanny pack)

edit: maybe it's kilos

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 3, 2013

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Stop tempting me. I'm not good enough to be spending that much per click of the shutter.

Post pictures of your Chamonix's please

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Chamonix does look sexy as hell and I want one. But my 4x5 monorail with full movements was like quarter of the price and total pack weight including tripod, lenses, slides etc. is barely more than 30lb. If you aren't prepared to haul a couple of stone of photo gear around on hikes in the mountains then do you really deserve to call yourself a landscape photographer?

e: normally I take a Pentax ME too for snapshots where I can't be bothered to set up the monorail.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

copen posted:

Stop tempting me. I'm not good enough to be spending that much per click of the shutter.

Post pictures of your Chamonix's please

On the first page :j:

And here's a shot from dukeku of my Chamonix in action:

Untitled by lucas.deshazer, on Flickr

aliencowboy posted:

I'm pretty sure my Manfrotto tripod with ballhead is rated for up to 6 pounds and weighs about 4. Would you mind showing your large format bags?

(I want to see how they stack up against Reichstag's instax fanny pack)

That's a weird load to weight ratio... my 3 pound setup is rated for a 17.6 pound load.

big scary monsters posted:

e: normally I take a Pentax ME too for snapshots where I can't be bothered to set up the monorail.

Yeah, I'm always also carrying my XA.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Frobbe posted:

How's the yashica-c? I'm negotiating with some old hippie about hers

If it's anything like the -D, it's rudimentary but it gets the job done. Viewing and adjusting your composition is tricky since everything is reversed. Winding the film and cocking the shutter are two separate actions so it's possible to make (intentional and accidental) double exposures. It can be handy for street portraiture since it's kind of eye catching if you wear it on a strap around your neck. I didn't pay much for mine do my dollar to satisfaction ratio is pretty drat decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That actually looks quite a bit more slick and compact than I imagined. I can vouch for the XA. I haven't left home without mine since I got it.

I have a few project ideas kicking around my head that I want to get started on once my Kowa gets back from being repaired. I'm still wrestling with whether or not I want to switch to a 500 CM or move to LF once it inevitably breaks again.

• Locked thread