Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Please make heads wearable as hats so that wizards can make their skeletons wear towering pillars of heads, horrid necromantic totems erected in monument to their arcane glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm personally hoping for the ability to link multiple arms and have a low budget GoFor thingy. I want to pick up that beer but it is all the way over there and I am all the way over here.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Heads on pikes. TIA

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Make limbs stick out of beakers and glasses if you combine them. Watch the bar turn into the Huuse-a uf Peeckled Hurrurs, bork bork bork.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Arm wrestling a changeling and they rip your arm off. Ranged high-fives. The two possibilities are endless!

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST

Slime posted:

Humans should be able to use cyborg limbs in place of their own limbs.

Fixed that for you. :colbert:

MyBlueCorners
Jan 16, 2013
Here's some random screenshots I've taken:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just spent a whole round as a zombie uncuffing other zombies because Beepsky and Ol' Harner were going around cuffing random people. Amazing.

And then I tried to toss one of my zombie comrades out the airlock, ended up throwing myself out because he hit me and sent me flying.

Also, here's some of my screenshots:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 31, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Hey geneticists!

Cloning take too long? Why not swipe your ID on the cloning pod and then just eject them early!

There are practically no downsides to this!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Zombie update: I just realized since I'm undead I can't die in space, ended up going to what seems to be the outer limits of the map.

And then the round ended with me becoming a monkey.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Question from deadchat:

If you are mindslaved and you master says 'Kill everyone/lots of people' could you kill them?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Geokinesis posted:

Question from deadchat:

If you are mindslaved and you master says 'Kill everyone/lots of people' could you kill them?

You have utter loyalty to whoever implanted you, and must serve their will. I have had people interpret my orders super-literally like a douchebag genie before, including one who blew me sky high with my own bomb when I told him to kill himself with it at the best possible moment, but I think it falls under the same clause as "unless it's really, really funny/creative, don't do it."

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Slime posted:

Cyborgs should be able to use human limbs in place of their own limbs.

Reminds me of this hellish creature.

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/lineworker.html

quote:

FACTORY LINE WORKER

Originally planned as a somewhat philanthropically oriented project intended to curb widespread corporate use of third world labour and sweatshop type practices. Mounted in a mechanical frame, genetically cultured “high wear” parts are grown in vats and regularly replaced. Not only are the meat components incredibly cheap to fashion and replace, they are extremely dextrous and efficient.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Daeren posted:

You have utter loyalty to whoever implanted you, and must serve their will. I have had people interpret my orders super-literally like a douchebag genie before, including one who blew me sky high with my own bomb when I told him to kill himself with it at the best possible moment, but I think it falls under the same clause as "unless it's really, really funny/creative, don't do it."

I also learnt today that the mindslave implants have a chance to be resisted. That seems to completely ruin the trust you have with your slave, but I don't know how small the chance is.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Mindslave implants cannot be resisted. However, if someone has already been implanted, when you implant them it's a crapshoot who will win out. That's one of the reason Spy rounds are so awesome. There's always a chance of a double agent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Bravo posted:

Mindslave implants cannot be resisted. However, if someone has already been implanted, when you implant them it's a crapshoot who will win out. That's one of the reason Spy rounds are so awesome. There's always a chance of a double agent.

I had that happen once. I was making bombs with the guy who enslaved me, when all of a sudden the Captain rushes in and jabs us both with implants. I resisted mine, and since my loyalty was to the original implanter, I chose to beat the Captain to death with an O2 cylinder before he could give any orders. We just hid the corpse and continued on like nothing had happened.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The last time I played this was years ago where we were pretty much playing 'stock' SS13 and being a griefing dickhole wasn't a rules violation so much as par for the course.

Priorities at the start of every round were grabbing a spacesuit, oxygen and a weapon because within ten minutes someone was going to attack you whether or not they were the traitor and 50% of the station was probably going to be on fire.

This was seems better. Looking forward to wandering around without a drat clue again.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

An admin told me there is a very small chance they are outright resisted. I've never heard of them being resisted before, but there you go. The guy I implanted was also a traitor and this was his implant, so maybe that had something to do with it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

0lives posted:

An admin told me there is a very small chance they are outright resisted. I've never heard of them being resisted before, but there you go. The guy I implanted was also a traitor and this was his implant, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I've managed to resist one. Although the implanter was armed to the teeth with weapons, so I was on a short leash anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you resist implanting, does the attacker get any failure message, or do they just see that you are not obeying?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

If you resist implanting, does the attacker get any failure message, or do they just see that you are not obeying?

No message.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I killed aERmles men with my revolver and microbomb implant in space after respawning three times as a Syndicate Agent during a silly round in which the admins were experimenting with making limbs fly off due to radiation and shaving

Challenge to readers: try to parse this for non-players

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I had a really good traitor round just a bit ago without having to be robust.

I was a traitor roboticist and got myself a syndiframe and an emag, I asked for volunteers to be borged and luckily the detective (who I know to be pretty good) did and became my syndiborg. After that I just churned out borgs and emagged them and they went off and ruined people. Despite radio chatter about rogue borgs no-one investigated and soon I moved on to shoving people into the Enzymatic recalaimer in genetics by dumping 30 units of sleeping toxin in them from an emagged hyposray.

Then I tried to do the same to a clown, he exploded into blood and guts and I caught clown disease. I waited in the sealed off escape wing till the shuttle arrived then waded my way through a shuttle full of cluwnes and amusing ducks to emag the console and escape alone.

Really having an emag and being a roboticist is great.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So there's a new Genetics computer with what looks like a new Genetics system. I've played with it, but I can't figure out how it works. Anyone want to give the basics or have actually turned on some of the fun looking mutations? (Obesity!)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

T-man posted:

So there's a new Genetics computer with what looks like a new Genetics system. I've played with it, but I can't figure out how it works. Anyone want to give the basics or have actually turned on some of the fun looking mutations? (Obesity!)

From what I puzzled out earlier in two or three rounds with Lison:

Everybody (and each monkey) has a random set of genes. There may be a weighting system for good or bad mutations, but all I know is that some mutations are more common than others. Using research points in the machine - and I'm not sure how you get them, beyond Lison telling me they naturally regenerate up to 30, I think you get some for fiddling with genes? - you can identify a gene block, which will be automatically IDed in all future scans, no matter who's being scanned. For example, the first gene I scan from one of the lab monkeys happens to be Fire Resist, and when I scan my bumbling assistant, it just so happens that his fifth gene is Fire Resist and is thus automatically IDed as such when I investigate it.

It's not just so easy as scanning genes, though. Each person/monkey you scan only has an incomplete picture of the gene's structure, which is made up of one to four (I think) groups of four letter pairings. Some of the letters won't be there if you only scan the one person who has it. To continue our monkey example earlier, let's say the Fire Resist gene map we get looks like this:

A C _ G ~~~ T _ _ C
| | | | ~~~ | | | |
T _ _ C ~~~ A A _ G

What we can do first is fill in the blanks of pairs with their only natural partner. A goes with T, and G goes with C.

A C _ G ~~~ T T _ C
| | | | ~~~ | | | |
T G _ C ~~~ A A _ G

We still have two blank pairs though! So, we scan our hapless assistant, and get this map:

_ _ C G ~~~ T T _ C
| | | | ~~~ | | | |
T G _ C ~~~ _ A _ G

We now have one letter of the first missing pair, so we can construct the nearly complete genome as:

A C C G ~~~ T T _ C
| | | | ~~~ | | | |
T G G C ~~~ A A _ G

Unfortunately we still have one missing letter pair, which means we can either try brute forcing it (which may have more horrible consequences later as the system continues to be implemented), scan more monkeys/corpses around for cloning in the hopes that one of them has a letter we need, or go brain random assistants with a blunt object and scan them forcibly ask politely for volunteers.

Skipping ahead, now we have the complete gene! Hooray! Once you've completed a gene, you can activate it in someone and they have whatever intrinsic is in it. Boom. No fiddling, no random chances, no loving about with SE syringes anymore. The drawback is you just might not spawn with whatever genes are needed for your pro superpower layout, and have no innate potential to become an X-Ray TK Hulk.

You may, however, spawn with the potential to be a morbidly obese, alcohol-immune, eternally burning dyspraxic Elvis impersonator, if you're patient enough to unlock all your genes! :getin:

The system's not fully implemented, and some powers (like Muscular [which isn't Hulk]) are currently useless or bugged as coders are running through all the old genetics backend powers to see which they can stick in, and will probably come up with completely new stuff to add as well. The ancillary research system is also in development, the only option so far being a way to conserve research points. Even in this early version though it's seriously impressive and miles better than the previous system. The only problem is the interface window can be really, really laggy for whatever reason.

Edit: Or was it Lisi? Lison or Lisi? Stop having similar names jeez

Daeren fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 2, 2013

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009
It was me! I was the first dude to figure it out and make a fat burning elvis.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This sounds like a really awesome system. I hope the Save/Load will let us mess with saved DNA. Also, bring back monkey changing.

E: After "getting it", I would like to say this:

THE NEW GENETICS SYSTEM IS LITERALLY THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE GAME SINCE I HAVE STARTED PLAYING IT.

I HAVE MADE TWO PEOPLE INVISIBLE AND GIVEN ONE GUY A ROBOTIC ARM.
He's basically Bionic Commando now.

A few things:
Please add in a way to set genetic code outside of the body so Geneticists can get in on the fun without help.
Also, a way to save partial portions of DNA and combine them to get full recipes. Maybe a PDA app that does this by hitting it on the computer? I've been prntscnin' them and completing the codes by hand, but a ingame way to do this would be great.

T-man fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 2, 2013

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Today I shot a man with a radbow, and 30 seconds later his arm flew off. Not one to waste this opportunity, I proceeded to beat him to death with his own severed arm.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I killed aERmles men with my revolver and microbomb implant in space after respawning three times as a Syndicate Agent during a silly round in which the admins were experimenting with making limbs fly off due to radiation and shaving

Challenge to readers: try to parse this for non-players

I shot some dudes after rezzing as a bad guy three times during a round where the admins were loving around with removing limbs via mutation and sharp objects.
Too easy.

fakeedit: What the gently caress did they do to the byond client?
Fakedit 2: Space Station 13 has 300 players, the next most popular game, RP Universe, has 72.
Edit 3: Until yesterday, you had to have byond premium to be able to use the messaging features in the byond client.

To reattach limbs, just take a robot arm of the same limb, put it on, and weld it.

Doctor Doodler fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 2, 2013

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Whoops, double post.

Doctor Doodler fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 2, 2013

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
Everyone is having their limbs removed. I'm finding it very difficult to find any arms.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

gently caress arm chopping. Cyborg was able to disable almost the entire station in minutes.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I joined for a round or two today, first one ended with the whole station being ripped apart while in the second I didn't last long as staff assistant because someone started a fire in the pod bay.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I was a Syndie last night. After we had the disk, and the guy who had it was busy trying to figure out how to detonate the nuke, I decided to go back to the station and raise hell. Eventually I got captured, and my captor began to strip me, just as the fella with the disk figured out how to detonate the nuke, which led to this little exchange:
(I'm Operative #2, and I'm not sure, but dude may have been convinced that trying to remove my suit caused the nuke)

Also, last night I achieved peak buttbot:

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I haven't played in over a year. All I really remember is George Melons kicking my rear end in seconds.

Today I got to be a botanist. I made some chilly peppers and the other awesome botanist made rainbow fruits.

I ate some slices and spent the rest of the match hallucinating that monkeys were kicking my rear end.

loving George Melons.

(I had a great time)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't played in over a year. All I really remember is George Melons kicking my rear end in seconds.

Today I got to be a botanist. I made some chilly peppers and the other awesome botanist made rainbow fruits.

I ate some slices and spent the rest of the match hallucinating that monkeys were kicking my rear end.

loving George Melons.

(I had a great time)

You have attained peak Botanist. Enjoy all the other rounds also being weed-filled candyland adventures in space while the world burns around you.

Botanist is the best job.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its oddly hilarious and frustrating to watch other robodocs kill people while attempting surgery. On the one hand, its hilarious that they've hosed it up so spectacularly, on the other hand, the fuckers just pull the corpse off the table and dump it on the floor when genetics is right loving there.

E: What happened to gibbed 3?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Admin ridiculousness on Gibbed 3:

Then on G4 some pods crashed into the escape shuttle and exploded:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I set up a ghetto surgery in arrivals, but things went downhill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Can you replace someone's missing arm with a chainsaw yet? If not, please fix this.

• Locked thread