Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Worst comes to worst, Coll dies and you play this dude:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Worst comes to worst, Coll defects to the rebels and stages a bloody takeover to become their new leader, uniting the three groups against the corporate presence on the island and forcing children overboard to manage two separate games within the same thread until he burns out :getin:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

Worst comes to worst, Coll defects to the rebels and stages a bloody takeover to become their new leader, uniting the three groups against the corporate presence on the island and forcing children overboard to manage two separate games within the same thread until he burns out :getin:

Fear of this is the only reason I haven't made myself a crown out of spent rifle casings and named myself king of Yomi, newest glorious homeland of the elves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
No no, don't fear your destiny. Embrace it.

Shadowrun Yomi Island mega-campaign, all aboard the bandwagon.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Does your vision of Tir Lagu-Lagu involve delta-grade clinics? If so, you have Snipey's full support.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
We're talking about a traditionally impoverished nation filled to the brim with oppressed metahumans and violent revolutionaries prepared to kill anyone to hide the fact they have no plan, no future, and no relevance.

If we want a delta clinic that means getting in bed with the vampires. I'm not ruling that out, but right now I'm just trying to find out if there are still servers in Shadowrun. Can I crash a car into a server farm? Do I need to hold a sysadmin hostage? Is it time to find a giant jungle monster and ride it into a compound? I'm leaning towards the second. Are there even Juggernauts in the jungle?

e: Also I am pretty sure I don't know about the looming vampire agenda in character.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 27, 2013

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
A Jungle Track

Andy gives Vincent a shaky salute and runs off to find the driver's commlink. Tapping a few buttons he activates the rig and sends the truck careening off into a tree.

"Cheers then, mate," the chubby guard says as he tucks the driver's sidearm into the back of his pants. "Have a good one. Sure you boys are gonna be the best of friends, but I reckon you're fuckin' mental if you're stayin'. Ah well, stay out of trouble now, and remember to stick a johnny on if you get a leg over one of the locals, yeah?"

With a mix of Japanese, translated Tagolog and the eight words in English he knows, you eventually get the point across to your hacker pal. He sets off scampering around the web looking for Noise, but his contact network is small because he's spent the past six months hiding in the jungle doing terrorist training camp activities like jumping over flaming tyres, swinging on a rope across a mud pit, and bayoneting mannequins dressed up in American clothing.

Eventually the hacker finds commcodes of the runners Newport hired (much closer than where he started the search, saved on Waterhouse's comm in a message from Kale).

Vincent sends the communique.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm not ruling that out, but right now I'm just trying to find out if there are still servers in Shadowrun. Can I crash a car into a server farm? Do I need to hold a sysadmin hostage? Is it time to find a giant jungle monster and ride it into a compound? I'm leaning towards the second. Are there even Juggernauts in the jungle?

Yep there are servers and databases and these are things you could physically destroy. And yes there are giant jungle monsters with body stats in the teens lurking in the forest. Maybe all these bloody bodies will attract one.

Ilya's Bar

"Like I said, can't have you running around in rags looking like out of work chimney sweeps," Mr Newport grins, dusting his jacket collar in some entirely ceremonial motion given that the garment's never even seen dust.

"Of course, while we plan to be upfront about your lawful work with Newport, to protect the company image you'll need to maintain utter anonymity during less-than-legal exercises, or 'runs'," Ms Prescott advises, ticking off agenda item 2.1. "If you were to be caught by police or private security amidst illegal activity, Newport Corporation would have no choice but to declare that you had gone rogue and were in breach of contract. But I understand it is generally a rather rotten thing to be caught in this line of work anyway, so I imagine this will differ little from previous arrangements."

Just then Noise's commlink informs him of a new message. It appears to be from Vincent, and the contents are troubling. What will you do with this information? Share it with the team? Respond without consulting them? Send it to the spam folder?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Snipey

"What have you got in mind for our 'less-than-legal exercises'?" Snipey asks, attempting, and failing, to mimic Ms. Prescott's accent. "We're a diverse group. Ain't much we'd have trouble doing."

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

children overboard posted:

"Of course, while we plan to be upfront about your lawful work with Newport, to protect the company image you'll need to maintain utter anonymity during less-than-legal exercises, or 'runs'," Ms Prescott advises, ticking off agenda item 2.1. "If you were to be caught by police or private security amidst illegal activity, Newport Corporation would have no choice but to declare that you had gone rogue and were in breach of contract. But I understand it is generally a rather rotten thing to be caught in this line of work anyway, so I imagine this will differ little from previous arrangements."

Noise leans in (or possibly over, depending on how tall you are), setting his drink on a nearby table. "I'm glad you understand our need for anonymity when we do our heavy lifting. A lot of people from your side of the street don't seem to get that. As an aside, if you want me doing white hat work for you, I would appreciate some kind of security permissions for your systems as soon as humanly possible. I'm used to getting into places I'm not supposed to be, but it would make defending your systems easier if I was allowed to be in them in the first place."

Just then Noise's commlink informs him of a new message. It appears to be from Vincent, and the contents are troubling. What will you do with this information? Share it with the team? Respond without consulting them? Send it to the spam folder?

A message? From who? He wants WHAT? Noise now regrets leaving his troll-dosage knockoff Excedrin at home. Sure, it probably wasn't just a painkiller - the occasional hallucination being a good hint - but it really did the job on stress headaches. Opening a channel to the rest of the team, he writes:

::Everyone, I've just received a message from our wayward daisy-eating acquaintance. He's apparently been caught on camera doing something that he claims could get us all a terminal case of lead poisoning. Since I don't have a cruise missile handy to drop on him, I'm inclined to clean up his mess first and have a long chat with him, a car battery and a length of rubber hose later on. Just wanted to give you a heads-up before I start snooping around.::

I had a busy weekend - sorry for not keeping up as well as I have been! Also, Mongol, I feel like the appropriate Awakened megafauna for the jungle should be some kind of giant, carnivorous sloth. That would make for a pretty stylish entrance to any corporate server farm. Perfect for any newly-minted island royalty! :getin:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
What could embody the raw cyberpunk feel of Shadowrun more than capturing a giant carnivorous sloth and smashing it through a building while wearing a crown?

Vincent Coll

Vincent taps his fingers on the back of one hand, shifting from foot to foot. What's keeping Noise? Sure, it had only been thirty seconds, but those wretched computer adicts never got off their commlinks. Any time you were issuing orders, or holding a meeting, or chewing them out for troublemaking, like as not they were browsing three forums, reading four blogs and slotting a BTL of a man caring for a romp of sexually curious otters.

Oscar notices Vincent's worried expression. "Trouble?"

"Maybe. He didn't exactly bat an eye the last time the four of us were in trouble--I'll start a backup plan, we can cut it short if the trog comes through. <Specs, find out who's in charge of computer security for Newport, then pull up his social media pages. He may be due for promotion.>" Who was left? The Car was friendly enough, but she would probably just find a high vantage point to watch the fireworks. The Sailor was too serious to ever amount to anything, unwilling to push forwards, and mages were smug assholes. Fortunately, that left someone impetuous, dangerous, ambitious, and dissatisfied with the established Newport security hierarchy.

::Snipey, are you there? It's Vincent Coll. You seem to be chafing under Waterhouse. I might have an urgent run that pays in the only thing worth having--human influence. If you're interested, say whatever meeting you're in is an insult and bail--I'll give you map coordinates to meet me in town and we'll see about getting a promotion.::

What language is Specs speaking, anyway? I should start dropping Karma into it, I like the guy. He's full of solutions and has a positive attitude.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Snipey

Private message, to Noise: ::You better do it. You don't know his rep. If the fallout of whatever Mad Dog Coll did doesn't kill you, he'll do it himself. Both of you are too good for this team to lose.::

Snipey hesitates, staring at his chat client for a few seconds. He takes a large swallow of his cocktail, nearly draining the glass, and continues writing.

Private message, to Coll (Or Specs, as the case may be): ::Meet's with the CEO. Hard to ditch. Noise's doing what you told him. What's the run, sir?::

I am getting as much mileage out of your Fame quality as I can.

edit: vvvv You appear to be replying to my private message to Noise.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 28, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

::Rep this, Rep that. If his rep was so good, why is he slumming it here in Yomi? We haven't been together for too long, but Snipey you're the newest. Vinnie has yet to be a team player. I just met the guy earlier today and four of his actions are firing off warning signs that I should just shoot the bastard in the head and we'd all be much better for it.

Guy shows up without even a commlink and somehow his rep is going to pay better than the 2k a week + hazard pay we're getting from Newport?

Noise, do what you like as far as helping him but he's got some explaining to do if he thinks he's still part of this team.::

Just laying it out there again that Vincent has done nothing that a non-psycopath face could not also do and Nail has yet to see/hear anything to change that opinion. We all just made 7k each in a couple hours this afternoon. Going to take a lot of convincing to get Nail to turn his back on that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Vincent Coll

::Never be afraid to blow off a corporate. You're a runner, if you don't clash with the system you'll suffer at the negotiating table. Still, if Noise has got it that means we can push back the plan--with more research, we'll be able to get more leverage on whoever we choose to replace Waterhouse. Which is the ultimate objective, but that's not a problem for tonight now. So for now... just run up the tab and see what you can learn.:: Vincent slips the commlink off and gives a short gesture to the rebels. "Falthe alarm. Onthe your boyth get here the evening'th our own."

Feeling slightly anemic, Vincent takes a seat under a tree hidden from the road and puts the commlink back on. ::So. Meeting. How's that going? For a long term security contract I'm sure they got some hire/fire privileges, but what did they manage to get for an operations budget? Motorpool access? What security access did they get? How much of the security force do they outrank? Are we allowed to draft guards for our operations? Is moonlighting allowed? And are there as few Huk contacts as I suspect there are?::

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Stormcrow

"Yes. While we're on the subject of security, I'd like to make a simple request. Your wards. I want to redo them. Not that I don't trust your corporate mages, but I'm better than they are," Stormcrow said. "I'm likely to need to purchase some ritual materials for aligning the local kami and potentially binding some to serve as guards. It would be in both of our best interests if you covered the cost of these. Of course, I can just ward my own quarters for free, but that would leave the rest of the facility exposed. Given the power of the spirits at least some of the Huk can bring to bear, that would be regretable, no?"

"Oh, and we will need access to your motorpool. Not that I don't appreciate the chauffeur service so far, but our duties will require a degree of personal mobility. We were lucky to be in the area when the desal plant was hit today. We won't always be lucky."

:: Do as you will:: Stormcrow subvocalized. ::If he's gone and done something that will reflect poorly on us, then clean it up, by all means. I'll not be dragged down by his actions. At the same time, I'll not get in the way of the consequences of those actions, either.::

More negotiatin': 12d6t5 4

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Noise settles back into his chair as negotiations continue. To the rest of the crew at the meet:

::Okay, I'm going to work right now. Keep the suits talking.::

To Vincent:

::Vincent, I'm on it - but I expect an explanation after I clean this up, or I cut you loose for good. Stand by.::

Calling up his AR interface with a thought, Noise begins his search for the vehicle in question and its incriminating video. Streams of data in glowing Cantonese characters scroll through his field of vision at speeds only an augmented mind could process. One little video clip on a whole island's security network, starting with only a plate number.

Sure. Easy.

Right. I'll have my books and character sheet with me this evening, but I'd like to sort ourt exactly what I should be rolling first. I'd like to find the security vehicle's node first, and then we can go from there. What's that going to be - Scan for a node? Data Search on the plate number?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Emerald Rogue posted:

::Everyone, I've just received a message from our wayward daisy-eating acquaintance. He's apparently been caught on camera doing something that he claims could get us all a terminal case of lead poisoning. Since I don't have a cruise missile handy to drop on him, I'm inclined to clean up his mess first and have a long chat with him, a car battery and a length of rubber hose later on. Just wanted to give you a heads-up before I start snooping around.::

A perceptive person, of which perhaps at least one of Newport's retinue was, might have noticed Natalya's violet eyes hardening. That elf...she had hoped that her little pep talk on the plane ride over would have done the trick. Honestly, you reached out to people and this was the thanks you got. Next time she would listen to her instincts and kneecap him instead.

When she spoke again her tone this time was businesslike, all playfulness set aside for the moment. "Since everyone is making requests I have my own as well. I would like access to your security systems, both at your main facility and any satellite locations on the island, as well as floor-plans and structural schematics in full." She held up a hand to forestall any instinctive objections before they could arrive. "You have hired us for several reasons, among them the fact that you feel your current security is insufficient. I have found in my line of work that what people believe to be secure very often is not and often in ways they do not realize, and if I am to help keep you secure then I will need to assess this for myself. You may consider it a courtesy if you like...usually I charge quite highly for such services."

That was certainly one reason she wanted security layouts and floor-plans. Another reason was insurance, a backup plan in case things with Newport fell through and she needed to know how to get in and out of his facilities without incident. Such knowledge could prove invaluable, especially if whatever their delinquent teammate was trying to accomplish blew up in their faces.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
A Jungle Track

Specs (his real name is an unpronounceable series of local phonemes) has trouble with the meager browse program he's using and he finds info is scant on the head of IT at Newport, but he does come across an extract from Nigel Newport's autobiography where he proudly explains that he hired Nell "Batch" Bachowski after she hacked into the servers of his company in some greyhat exercise. Nigel was so impressed by this illicit ingress he apparently fired his old IT chief and offered Batch the job.

Specs can't find anything else and complains about how much better his own comm was (now in Noise's hands), so while you wait for further developments he teaches Vincent some swear words in Tagalog. After a seeming age (about the time they get to the "W"s in Specs' Dictionary of Foul Language, including the appendix '57 Ways to Insult a Japanese') eventually there's a humming sound approaching from the road to the east. Another battered old Chinese APC comes careening around the track. Oscar smiles and waves them down with his remaining hand.

A sturdy dwarven Huk measuring roughly four feet in every dimension steps out of the back of the vehicle, flanked by two AK-wielding grunts. The dwarf has old burns down the side of his face and the ugly scars mean he can only grow half a beard but whatever caused the injury hasn't deterred him from still carrying around a big gently caress-off flamethrower. He greets Oscar and lights one of the foul local cigarettes with surprising casualness for a man with two tanks of accelerant strapped to his back.

"What you want burned?" he grunts. You can practically hear his themesong start playing as he uses his cigarette to light the tip of the flamethrower.

Meanwhile Waterhouse's comm starts beeping. The display announces the incoming call is from Kale.

Mystic Mongol posted:

What language is Specs speaking, anyway? I should start dropping Karma into it, I like the guy. He's full of solutions and has a positive attitude.

Tagalog. He knows a little bit of Japanese military parlance and a few English phrases like "What's for lunch," "where's the train station" and "die filthy Imperialist Swine".

Ilya's Bar

Baby Babbeh posted:

Stormcrow

"Yes. While we're on the subject of security, I'd like to make a simple request. Your wards. I want to redo them. Not that I don't trust your corporate mages, but I'm better than they are," Stormcrow said. "I'm likely to need to purchase some ritual materials for aligning the local kami and potentially binding some to serve as guards. It would be in both of our best interests if you covered the cost of these. Of course, I can just ward my own quarters for free, but that would leave the rest of the facility exposed. Given the power of the spirits at least some of the Huk can bring to bear, that would be regretable, no?"

"Oh, and we will need access to your motorpool. Not that I don't appreciate the chauffeur service so far, but our duties will require a degree of personal mobility. We were lucky to be in the area when the desal plant was hit today. We won't always be lucky."

"Hmm, yes," Mr Newport says, stroking his chin in earnest thought. "I would like to have better magic awards. That's the kind of thing that would look good to shareholders in our initial public offering material. Write up an invoice for Ms Prescott and I'll see any reasonable expenses covered. As for transport, of course I'll make sure a vehicle's available. I don't expect runners to have to take a bus to a run, how silly would that look?" he chuckles without irony.

Emerald Rogue posted:

Noise

"I'm glad you understand our need for anonymity when we do our heavy lifting. A lot of people from your side of the street don't seem to get that. As an aside, if you want me doing white hat work for you, I would appreciate some kind of security permissions for your systems as soon as humanly possible. I'm used to getting into places I'm not supposed to be, but it would make defending your systems easier if I was allowed to be in them in the first place."

"Ah!" Mr Newport says excitedly. "I should introduce you to Batch. She's our resident neckbeard... erm, network security specialist. I'll introduce you when we get back to base and she can set up the appropriate administration accounts."

quote:

Right. I'll have my books and character sheet with me this evening, but I'd like to sort ourt exactly what I should be rolling first. I'd like to find the security vehicle's node first, and then we can go from there. What's that going to be - Scan for a node? Data Search on the plate number?

Finding the truck's node is easy, it's not in hidden mode. Same as the base's server, don't worry about rolling it all out to locate it. It's the data back at base that it sounds like Vincent is most worried about, and from your own knowledge of such security procedures you imagine it's likely in that big data hub in the southern wing. You can try to hack into the base's server remotely if you want to take care of this immediately, but your Matrix Perception check will tell you its a rating 4 system and you would need admin access to actually delete footage. Or you can hold off and see if Batch will just give you access.

Kai Tave posted:

Natalya
"Since everyone is making requests I have my own as well. I would like access to your security systems, both at your main facility and any satellite locations on the island, as well as floor-plans and structural schematics in full." She held up a hand to forestall any instinctive objections before they could arrive. "You have hired us for several reasons, among them the fact that you feel your current security is insufficient. I have found in my line of work that what people believe to be secure very often is not and often in ways they do not realize, and if I am to help keep you secure then I will need to assess this for myself. You may consider it a courtesy if you like...usually I charge quite highly for such services."

"I can see the sense in that," Mr Newport says, choosing his words cautiously. "I'll have Captain Waterhouse authorise you the appropriate accesses."

Vavrek posted:

Snipey

"What have you got in mind for our 'less-than-legal exercises'?" Snipey asks, attempting, and failing, to mimic Ms. Prescott's accent. "We're a diverse group. Ain't much we'd have trouble doing."

"Glad you asked!" Mr Newport says enthusiastically, and then lowers his voice again, sneaking a glance to ensure no one's listening. "I actually have a little extraction 'run' in mind. Well I'd call it more of a job offer. Have you heard of Gunther Fritz?"

Natalya has.

Gunther Fritz is a body mod surgeon who dances across the genius/madman border with aplomb. When he worked for Saeder Krupp he was famous on the Berlin scene for pioneering cyberware and pushing the human body to the absolute limit, stuffing in as much ware as possible without the subject dying. He was 'recruited' in shady circumstances by Ares about 10 years ago, who wanted him to upgrade their Firewatch special ops teams.

"He's a real thought-leader, a great mind in cybersurgery," Mr Newport enthuses. "But alas a couple of years ago there was some minor tiff over his contract with his employer and he was forced to leave the company's extraterritory under hurried circumstances. But who can even remember the details?"

Well, Natalya can. It was in all the mod scene e-zines. Apparently Mr Fritz put Ares' best combat operative under the knife to install a new suite of wares that would make him resistant to magic. It was one piece of ware too far, and Fritz created a cyberzombie. 18 Ares employees died in the following rampage, and destroying the cyberzombie led to a mana black hole that left an entire block in downtown Detroit being rendered permanently uninhabitable.

"Anyway," Mr Newport says casually, "the point is, after an extended time on the run, Ares has recaptured the doctor in Taiwan, living the good life with a half dozen highly modified wives. Now, the word is that they're shipping him here to Lagu Lagu, ostensibly as a prisoner, but I'd wager they intend to force him to work upgrading their security operatives here. I, on the other hand, would like to offer him a paying job. He's the kind of real pioneering sort of chap we'd love to have on board at Newport.

"The information I have is that he's coming on an Ares prison ship due to arrive here Sunday night. I expect it will be heavily guarded, and I expect that won't be much of a problem for you," he winks. "And if we can get Mr Fritz to accept a career with us, I can offer you attractive employee incentives at his in-house surgery I intend to set up."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

"I can see the sense in that," Mr Newport says, choosing his words cautiously. "I'll have Captain Waterhouse authorise you the appropriate accesses."

(:argh:)

quote:

"Glad you asked!" Mr Newport says enthusiastically, and then lowers his voice again, sneaking a glance to ensure no one's listening. "I actually have a little extraction 'run' in mind. Well I'd call it more of a job offer. Have you heard of Gunther Fritz?"

Natalya has.

"Ooooooh..." Natalya's eyes widened with girlish glee, a smile spreading across her face as she leaned in, propping her chin upon her hands and listening intently. "I have been here for only a day and already you have brought me a present. Mmm, do go on."

quote:

"The information I have is that he's coming on an Ares prison ship due to arrive here Sunday night. I expect it will be heavily guarded, and I expect that won't be much of a problem for you," he winks. "And if we can get Mr Fritz to accept a career with us, I can offer you attractive employee incentives at his in-house surgery I intend to set up."

"We accept," Natalya said without hesitation before any of the others could so much as speak. "We will take any information you have on this ship as well as the local Ares presence here on the island." Maybe Lagu-Lagu wouldn't be so bad after all.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

After laying out his views about Vincent to the rest of the team, Nail sits back and listens to Newport's proposal. The job sounded doable. It would be a little tight with only a couple days of prep work, but it would keep them busy. As he's about to say something, Natalya jumps in and accepts for the group. No big deal, she seemed excited about the job. Good for her.

"I agree, sounds like something we can take care of with minimum fuss, even being a man down since Coll went native." He had some possible sources of information, but no need to bring all that up now, lets see what Newport can supply first. Taking a long swig of his beer, he sits back and lets the others weigh in.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Snipey

"Mr. Coll didn't go native. He got a couple natives to go Newport." Snipey explains. "Your chum Waterhouse didn't like it. Speaking of, what's our rank? Who can order around? Who gets to order us around? I'm hoping that's just you," he tilts his feathered head toward the CEO.

::You know this Doc Fritz, Natalya? He sounds like a good guy to have at the base.::

Private message, to Coll: ::7k hazard pay for hostage extraction. We got some access to the garage, but it's not like they're handing out sports cars. Natalya's getting full blueprints for corp facilities. Noise will have an admin account, later. Not right now. Working on the rest. Exec's got an extraction run for us, Sunday.::

"Just so we're clear. This isn't an exclusive contract, is it? Your runs take priority, and we'd never do a job for UCAS Online, but there's some community service gigs on the bounty board." Snipey hooks a thumb in the direction of the bar. "Which I don't expect a man like you takes the time to check."

For a few hours, now, something has been nagging at Snipey's mind. And, since he's got the person in question right here...

Private message, to Coll: ::Sir, I don't mean to offend, but ... why are you here? What happened in Seattle? I know the Ancients. They wouldn't have sent you here without a 'link, or without a purpose.::

Given you thought Newport ran a hotel chain, I shall take the time to remind you that Snipey joined the Ancients around the same time as Coll, and left a couple years later. Long details are back in the recruitment thread.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

::Dr. Fritz is a visionary,:: Natalya explained breathlessly for the benefit of the philistines in the audience. ::More than that, he's an artist. The work he pioneered in Berlin on multi-branch neural I/O banding and cybermodule architecture is nothing short of genius. He's designed some of the most daring augmentations of the last 20 years.:: Even over the subvocal channel she sounded like a fan talking about her favorite simsense star. ::Oh, what I wouldn't give to have work done by him. I'd take this job just to meet him...whatever we earn from it is simply a bonus.::

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Do you really think the new guy could be more of a hardass? This just means for a few days no one is sure who's in charge. I'm sure an ambitious young lady can leverage that into an unreasonable amount of security access.

Raising Tagalog to 1. This should let Vince communicate basic human needs, as well as apparently dozens of different ways to compare someone to a dog.

Vincent Coll

Vincent winces as the commlink begins piping information from two sources at once. It wasn't natural... this is exactly why he had always paid someone to handle all his communications for him. With a mutter, he cuts the line to Noise, bringing the amount of social media down to a more manageable amount. ::No offense taken, Snipey, but now is not the time for stories. I've got a sack over my head and I think Waterhouse noticed I have a commlink on. I'll be back tomorrow, I'm sure, try to keep that rebel commlink safe.:: He pulls his own commlink off with a shudder and tosses it to Specs, eager to stop interacting with fake people and greet the very real, extremely welcome grunts arriving in the APC.

One round of introductions and handshakes later, Vincent has taken them to the crashed truck. "First, drag the fat man to the APC. We will ditch his body a few kilometers away somewhere secluded. No sense admitting he's dead. Then empty a few clips into the truck, and torch it. Fast is more important than thorough, I want us out of here in ninety sec--oh, what now." Vincent glowers at the buzzing commlink, yet another incredibly important distraction demanding he talk to machines again. "I have to take this. You three have fun." He jogs a short distance away from the truck and touches the commlink's earpiece to his throat.

Disguising his voice should be as simple as using Waterhouse's avatar, but that wasn't quite enough. Had the other two guards had an accent? Some verbal tic? The two ignorant slags hadn't actually said anything, they'd just brayed like the miserable donkeys they were. Frag, time to improvise. Pausing only to check the name on the user account of a different commlink, Vincent starts a communication with Kale. ::Uh, this is Private Simmons. The Captain's... he's, uh, busy, with a prisoner. Also pret-ty furious. Is this urgent?::

Gonna hold off on rolling con until Kale inevitably asks what Waterhouse is busy with.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Listening to Snipey ask about side jobs, something pops into Nails mind. When there's a break in the conversation, "Mr. Newport, what about supplies to replenish what we use up on the job? Do you have a person we can go through to buy what we need. Sure, I can run around the corner and buy ammo from the little mom-n-pop store but they won't have an RPG or plastic explosives. We already blew up one APC, once the terrorists find out you've hired high quality problem solvers like us, what are they going to throw at your assets next?"

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

Good, an introduction to the local sysadmin. Always nice to have a contact on the inside, especially a contact who sounds like half a hacker herself. Maybe we can be nerd pals and get rid of this damned footage without risking a direct breach of my new employer's own security network.

Minimizing his AR windows, Noise sits back and lets the others keep up the negotiations. They seem to be asking all the right questions.

::Stormcrow - you seem to have a way with words. Can you tag along with me to the meeting with Batch? We'd do well to make friends with her in any case, and she might offer the safest way to get at that footage Vincent messaged us about.::

I can't imagine that sensor feeds from security vehicles are routinely reviewed by Newport's security, so I probably have until someone realizes that Waterhouse and his goon squad are MIA. Let's wait a bit and see if I (we, really - Noise is not much of a talker:saddowns:) can talk Batch into granting me access to the appropriate datastore. I'd rather go that route than risk a direct attack on their system right now - slow probes in AR take days, and I don't want to nod off into VR mid-meeting.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Are you wearing goggles? Newport might not notice if you're good about not drooling.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
I have goggles, but I wouldn't be wearing them in the bar - they're mostly set up for alternate vision modes. I have contacts for daily wear. I guess I could excuse myself to the little troll's room and hack in from a vacant stall.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm cool with you guys trying the social engineering approach, because it's a good excuse to interact with more NPCs (that Mystic Mongol probably won't have killed yet) and I don't think we're in a super-hurry on the hacking front yet anyway, depending on what Kale wants.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It's still impractical during the meet. Slow probes in AR take days. Slow probes in VR take hours. I don't imagine this will be a seven hour contract negotiation meeting.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

I'm cool with you guys trying the social engineering approach, because it's a good excuse to interact with more NPCs (that Mystic Mongol probably won't have killed yet)

If they just sort of bobble back and forth, have an odd falsetto voice, and don't make eye contact, Vincent has killed them and stuck them on a stick to work as a puppet.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

If they just sort of bobble back and forth, have an odd falsetto voice, and don't make eye contact, Vincent has killed them and stuck them on a stick to work as a puppet.

Shadowrun: Weekend at Bernie's edition

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Shadowrun: Weekend at Bernie's edition

I say we go older. Shadowrun: Punch and Judy Edition.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
A Jungle Track

The voice at the other end of the line pauses a moment. "Have the Captain call me when he is free," Kale says, and hangs up.

The rebels hose down the truck with gusto, ripping through a couple of mags and leaving the bodies spotty with bullet holes. The sturdy dwarf gives Vincent a friendly slap on the back. "Next time," he growls gruffly, throat burnt hoarse from some ancient injury. "You bring me live ones. They more fun."

The Huks load Waterhouse's corpse and the captured gear into the APC, with Oscar requisitioning himself a new sidearm as he tucks the Captain's silver-plated Sig Sauer into his belt.

"Are you joining us, Coll?" Oscar asks as he steps into the APC. "These jungles are notoriously unfriendly to foreigners."

Ilya's Bar

"Absolutely brilliant," Mr Newport says again, grinning broadly as you accept the job. "I'll forward you the details of what we have so far. We're fairly anaemic on information, but we have an expected ETA and the dock they're booked in to land at.

"Now, as for rank," Newport does that dismissive handwave thing again, the kind of flippant gesture that'd get his masculinity questioned stateside but which is merely quaint in Britain. "Oh I prefer to handle that kind of thing more casually. Let's say you're outside the formal rank structure. If someone gets in the way of you doing your job, I'd definitely like to know about it."

ltr posted:

Nail
"Mr. Newport, what about supplies to replenish what we use up on the job? Do you have a person we can go through to buy what we need. Sure, I can run around the corner and buy ammo from the little mom-n-pop store but they won't have an RPG or plastic explosives. We already blew up one APC, once the terrorists find out you've hired high quality problem solvers like us, what are they going to throw at your assets next?"

"Weeeeell," Mr Newport demurs. "That's sort of why I wanted to get runners on board with this operation, to benefit both from their skills and contacts. We're a telecommunications company. Newport Corporation doesn't have suppliers for such... unusual equipment. Small arms and ammunition, certainly, we have the suitable private security licences to equip Captain Waterhouse's team. But as for RPGs and explosives, I'm afraid I'll have to leave that to you and your own contacts."

Nigel's comm rings again. He looks at the screen and winces. "Terribly sorry," he says. "It's Kale again. I should take this, he texted and said it's urgent. Would you give me a moment?" He stands and puts the comm to his ear, wandering away from the table. "Kaaale, how's things, sir?"

Vavrek posted:

Snipey

"Just so we're clear. This isn't an exclusive contract, is it? Your runs take priority, and we'd never do a job for UCAS Online, but there's some community service gigs on the bounty board." Snipey hooks a thumb in the direction of the bar. "Which I don't expect a man like you takes the time to check."

"I can field this one," Ms Prescott says with all of the formality and none of the congeniality of Nigel. "Provided non-contract activities do not run counter to the interests of, or reflect poorly upon, Newport Corporation, I cannot imagine sidejobs becoming a problem."

Mr Newport returns to the table. His face has gone pale. The knuckles on his hand are white where he holds his comm in a deathgrip.

He sits down and takes a long draw on his cider.

"Nigel?" Ms Prescott says, putting one of her immaculately manicured hands on his. "What is it, Nigel?"

He puts his pint down, breathes slowly to steady himself.

"As you'd doubtless know from today's mission," he says, fighting hard to keep his voice even. "All of our security personnel are fitted with biomonitors.

"The two guards transporting the prisoners and Will..." he pauses, swallows hard. "and Captain Waterhouse... they're all dead."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

"Absolutely brilliant," Mr Newport says again, grinning broadly as you accept the job. "I'll forward you the details of what we have so far. We're fairly anaemic on information, but we have an expected ETA and the dock they're booked in to land at.

"Simply tell us where we can find the local Ares facilities on the island," Natalya said, waving off that detail as unimportant. "We will find information on our own, and perhaps other things besides." Just because you broke into a corporate facility looking for something specific didn't mean you couldn't help yourself to any goodies you found along the way.

Mr Newport returns to the table. His face has gone pale. The knuckles on his hand are white where he holds his comm in a deathgrip.

He sits down and takes a long draw on his cider.

"Nigel?" Ms Prescott says, putting one of her immaculately manicured hands on his. "What is it, Nigel?"

He puts his pint down, breathes slowly to steady himself.

"As you'd doubtless know from today's mission," he says, fighting hard to keep his voice even. "All of our security personnel are fitted with biomonitors.

"The two guards transporting the prisoners and Will..." he pauses, swallows hard. "and Captain Waterhouse... they're all dead."

Natalya looked up from the e-zine article on Dr. Fritz she was perusing as Newport returned to the table but her expression froze as he relayed the news that had left him pale and shaken. "Dead? How?" She traded glances with the others around the table. "Was it rebels?"

::Noise,:: she subvocalized with forced calmness in her voice, ::exactly what sort of trouble did Coll say he'd gotten into again?::

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
[b]Noise{/b}

::He didn't say. He just gave me a plate number for a Newport security vehicle and said that whatever was in those sensor logs would get us all in trouble. I should have guessed what that meant.::

Noise grinds his teeth in frustration. Who the hell was this Coll rear end in a top hat and what on earth did he think he was doing?

::OK, all. Decision time - do we clean up that video, or do we cut Vincent loose? If the video is what it sounds like, we really could be in a lot of trouble. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to risk my neck covering for a psychopath. IF we want the video cleaned, I have to go now - we don't have much time until they put some eyes on it.::

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

"Oh I prefer to handle that kind of thing more casually. Let's say you're outside the formal rank structure. If someone gets in the way of you doing your job, I'd definitely like to know about it."

How well is that workin' out for you, Mr. Newport.

Vincent Coll

"Yeah, that daisy-eater, somehow he mana--hello? Hello?" Vincent takes the commlink away from his throat and glares at it suspiciously. Kale didn't want to know why Waterhouse had shed his commlink? Either Newport security was even worse than it appeared to be (a very real possibility) or the man already thought he knew what was going on.

With a sigh, Vincent climbs into the APC. "I would like the guided tour, yeth. Make sure it thwingth patht a drop point--Thpecs here hath to ditch the commlinkth." He cuts off the stream of profanity with a glare. "They could be broadcathting anything. If they're thtill there in a week they're all yourth, but I don't want a judath program leading anyone to my thleeping body." Vincent does a quick search of himself to make sure he's not carrying anything he didn't buy himself (the plastic wrist-zip probably isn't concealing anything, but he ditches it to be sure) and he nods to Oscar. "Right, let'th roll. I'm eager to meet the gang."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Snipey

::Cover it up. I want to hear what he's got to say. After that, if we wanna get rid of him, or hand him over to Newport, he'll be in our hands. I don't want to track him down in the jungle.::

"I'm sorry to hear that," Snipey says, trying to at least sound as though he's not glad Waterhouse is gone. "Was it the Huk? Some jungle monster?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

::Nobody. Do. Anything,:: Natalya subvocalized firmly before anybody began rushing around in a panic. ::If we were burned we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Don't do anything stupid and get caught up in someone else's mess. Let's hear what Newport has to say, then decide what we want to do.::

It was one of the lessons that anyone in her line of work had to learn, that automatically assuming everything that happened on a job, every unexpectedly reinforced patrol route or target moved to a different location, was because of you often led to mistakes, to assuming that you were compromised and taking risks that only wound up making things worse when in fact it was simply a matter of someone's manager wanting things to look good for a visiting CEO or a clerical error. Right now they were holding their breath, waiting to see if the searchlight was going to swing their way or not...running, metaphorically speaking, would only get them caught easier.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

Nail really isn't surprised with the supply situation. They weren't a triple A corp who could skirt weapon laws like people slice a stick of butter. He would have to do some leg work to find what they needed. Just like any port town, it would just take a little time and asking the right people. With the history of Yomi Island, there's likely a lot of stuff around if you knew who to talk to.

Can't we even finish the meeting without having to deal with Vinnie...

::Cut him off. The rest of us did nothing wrong on the rescue op. We've been under Newport's watch since the airport in Manila, we're all clean here. Whatever Vinnie's gotten himself into now is his problem.::

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

This vote should totally end up elf vs. non-elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Stormcrow

"Hmmm... a Huk backup patrol? It is not inconceivable they could have seen we had the site locked down and waited to rescue their friends until the convoy split off... although that seems a bit beyond their level of planning. Either way, say the word and there will be retribution. It's what I was hired for, after all."

::I agree. Let's figure out what happened and what they know about what happened before we do anything irreversible. If you need my support with the sysadmin, you have it, Noise. I'd feel better about you having some access to those systems even if we don't end up papering over Coll's latest screwup.::

• Locked thread