Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Post the Chamonixest pics you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

a foolish pianist posted:

The dorkroom must be filled with tiny people. The RB isn't that big, and it's a good size and shape for carrying.

It's not a matter of it being too big and heavy. It's too big and heavy for its function. It's a waste of the space it takes up in your bag. As someone else mentioned, it's designed to be a studio camera. I already carry an MPP 4x5 press camera in my bag, my Hassy is a much lighter and compact package for my 120 needs. IMO there's nothing the RB/Z offers to justify the increased weight and space out in the field.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

McMadCow posted:

It's not a matter of it being too big and heavy. It's too big and heavy for its function. It's a waste of the space it takes up in your bag. As someone else mentioned, it's designed to be a studio camera. I already carry an MPP 4x5 press camera in my bag, my Hassy is a much lighter and compact package for my 120 needs. IMO there's nothing the RB/Z offers to justify the increased weight and space out in the field.

I can think of two big things the RB/RZ offers over a Hasselblad: bellows focusing and a superior aspect ratio :frogc00l:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

copen
Feb 2, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

I'm pretty sure my Manfrotto tripod with ballhead is rated for up to 6 pounds and weighs about 4. Would you mind showing your large format bags?

(I want to see how they stack up against Reichstag's instax fanny pack)

Those are some pretty cameras guys, I'm also curious about this for those of you who hike your large formats into the wilderness.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I received my 500c/m today from KEH and a 80mm 2.8 CT and 2 magazine backs.

all in exc conidition. I have mounted the lens and the film back, loaded a roll of film. However, I cannot turn the crank on the side of the camera body.

What gives? Had a look online but all sources seem to point towards me having to take it into a repair place (melbourne) to get repaired, is there anything else I can try before I do this?

I can remove the lens, film back etc but cannot turn the crank, the shutters are open and the mirror is up (I can see right through the camera body)

When I got the gear, I had to use a screwdriver to turn the shutter mechanism inside the camera body as it was not aligned to fit the lens on the body.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 3, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

I received my 500c/m today from KEH and a 80mm 2.8 CT and 2 magazine backs.

all in exc conidition. I have mounted the lens and the film back, loaded a roll of film. However, I cannot turn the crank on the side of the camera body.

What gives? Had a look online but all sources seem to point towards me having to take it into a repair place (melbourne) to get repaired, is there anything else I can try before I do this?

I can remove the lens, film back etc but cannot turn the crank, the shutters are open and the mirror is up (I can see right through the camera body)

When I got the gear, I had to use a screwdriver to turn the shutter mechanism inside the camera body as it was not aligned to fit the lens on the body.

What happens when you try to fire it? Sounds like it is stuck in the fired position.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah nothing happens when I try to fire it, the firing button doesn't seem to be able to depress all the way either (time catch is in O position)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

yeah nothing happens when I try to fire it, the firing button doesn't seem to be able to depress all the way either (time catch is in O position)

I think you should just complain to KEH, return it to them and ask them to send you a new 500CM body. They're usually nice enough to pay for your return shipping.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
would that be the best option over getting the body repaired somewhere local?
Yeah I just can't cock the camera body whatsoever, it's more or less completely jammed up. Shutters stay open, mirror won't drop, crank won't turn etc

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 3, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

would that be the best option over getting the body repaired somewhere local?
Yeah I just can't cock the camera body whatsoever, it's more or less completely jammed up. Shutters stay open, mirror won't drop, crank won't turn etc

Well it's time vs money. Sending it back to KEH and getting a new one shouldn't cost anything unless you live outside the US and get taxed on shipments. But if you're willing to pay to get it repaired and they can do it in under a week, then you can go that route. When I shipped a Hassy lens back to KEH, it was sent back overnight and they shipped it back in a few days, so back and forth was under a week and no extra cost to me.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I'm in Australia... I've sent them an email I'll see what they say.

Really bummed out, I was so excited to receive it today.

:suicide:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

When I needed KEH to replace the faulty SQ-Ai body they sent me, they did it without blinking an eye ( there was a quick troubleshooting process over the phone). I got the new one in 3-5 business days. I'm in canada and they paid for the shipping.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Someone please post their picture of their Chamonix loaded in a shoulder bag with like 10 film holders. That really got me mouthwatering, especially after borrowing a heavy rear end Sinar for fieldwork. :suicide:

copen
Feb 2, 2003
For all the crap the USS Arizona RB67 get around here, I would just like to point out that it is really good value for the money. You can get Into an RB67 kit for a lot less than others and lenses are a good price as well. The only penalty you pay is weight. So anybody who is on a budget and is thinking about one, I wouldn’t write it off because it is larger than your mom. I mean if we were to buy cameras by the kilo this is probably the best deal going.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fragrag posted:

Someone please post their picture of their Chamonix loaded in a shoulder bag with like 10 film holders. That really got me mouthwatering, especially after borrowing a heavy rear end Sinar for fieldwork. :suicide:

10 film holders is a little excessive. I don't normally carry more than 5 (that's 10 sheets of film!), and when I've gone out with the intention of taking a particular picture I've gone out with just one holder before. If I'm carrying more than 5, the extras are in a bag in my car or something, and I have 20 of them.

I have two main bags that I use for carrying my Chamonix in different situations. For everyday use I appreciate having extra room in the bag, so I use my huge Domke J-1:

Camera to the right in the large insert, 3-5 lenses in the other inserts, lightmeter and loupe in the front pockets, holders in one end pocket, darkcloth in the other end pocket, filters in the flap pocket.

Sometimes I need to travel a little lighter/more compactly and I put most of the above in my Think Tank Retrospective 10:

Camera in the main compartment, 3 lenses stacked in the other part of the main compartment, lightmeter and loupe and sometimes filters in the front inside pocket, film holders in the front outside pocket, and darkcloth stuffed across the top of the main compartment (not shown).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

copen posted:

For all the crap the USS Arizona RB67 get around here, I would just like to point out that it is really good value for the money. You can get Into an RB67 kit for a lot less than others and lenses are a good price as well. The only penalty you pay is weight. So anybody who is on a budget and is thinking about one, I wouldn’t write it off because it is larger than your mom. I mean if we were to buy cameras by the kilo this is probably the best deal going.

Yeah, but you could get a p67 for about the same price.

p67 supremacy.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2013

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah get a Pentax.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rb67 is probably the better studio camera, the p67 is a better throw a blackrapid on it because gently caress paying for lugs and carrying it around camera.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Please tell me that you own photography themed bedding.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

p67 supremacy.

Focal plane shutters :rolleyes:

Nice sheets. Is your bed shaped like a ME Super?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My grandma made me that blanket, it does in fact own (albiet lacking any ME Supers).

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Focal plane shutters :rolleyes:

a few lenses have em. i almost got one for my p645. i dont think theres that much of a markup on em when i checked?

e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-Takumar-6x7-90mm-f2-8-Leaf-Shutter-lens-Pentax-6x7-67-MLU-67II-/400488770886 dunno if thats ok for p67 glass? probably a bit more expensive i guess

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

a few lenses have em. i almost got one for my p645. i dont think theres that much of a markup on em when i checked?

e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-Takumar-6x7-90mm-f2-8-Leaf-Shutter-lens-Pentax-6x7-67-MLU-67II-/400488770886 dunno if thats ok for p67 glass? probably a bit more expensive i guess

It's a pretty good price, yeah.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So I shot some Velvia 50 on a sunny day one day. And of course I'm an idiot so I overexposed every single shot, except for like 2. I think it's time for a real light meter..

Worst shot:

Best shot:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Fragrag posted:

I usually carry between 6 and 10 holders.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

brothers

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

So I shot some Velvia 50 on a sunny day one day. And of course I'm an idiot so I overexposed every single shot, except for like 2. I think it's time for a real light meter..

Well to be fair if you're gonna shoot Velvia 50 on a sunny day, you'll probably have to do some bracketing. Light meter won't really help with shooting that kind of high contrast scene on Velvia.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Have any of you guys ever used a pinhole camera from Lensless Camera Company?

I've made pinholes in the past, but these can take standard film folders which would be nice. The 4x5 one is like $60 on B&H so I'm thinking about just grabbing one, but they make them up to 11x14.

How do you process film larger than 4x5? In a tray in the darkroom or do they make really big tanks for 11x14 ones?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

alkanphel posted:

Well to be fair if you're gonna shoot Velvia 50 on a sunny day, you'll probably have to do some bracketing. Light meter won't really help with shooting that kind of high contrast scene on Velvia.

Yeah bracketing is okay. Alas.. maybe I'm dense (hurr hurr), but I managed to gently caress up slides with bracketing, too. I used an indicent meter and bracketed just on the wrong side of things - on both counts. Whoops!

Better: A good spot meter, then you can measure the brightest points in the picture. If you expose for that measured value +1/2 to +1/3 a stop you get a good range, and no clipped highlights.
Disadvantage of this method is that the shadows will fall wherever they may, with little you can do about it. Slide has usually 3-5 stops of dynamic range, so if your light meter supports taking multiple readings you can immediately judge the entire DR of the scene. No guessing or bracketing needed.

Basically, the gist of my rant is this: You've already spent lots of bucks on your gear and film.
Why now go and skimp on the meter? Buy a decent one; use it a lifetime and save yourself a lot of headache, sweating and guessing during shooting.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 4, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Who can afford to bracket with Velvia for random shots taken around town? Do people actually bracket with film these days outside of paid gigs?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

Who can afford to bracket with Velvia for random shots taken around town? Do people actually bracket with film these days outside of paid gigs?

I bracketed some of my shots when I went on a trip, but I still don't know if I bracketed it correctly haha.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I bracket anything that has tricky exposure/contrast. Generally I'll just take an extra shot over or under the first one not like a full three to five shot bracket.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

brothers

Wow. That really is compact. How long does it take for them to build/ship orders?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Wow. That really is compact. How long does it take for them to build/ship orders?

Mine didn't take very long at all. I ordered on 10/25 and posted a 4x5 scan in here on 11/11. They are a small shop so if you order when they have a backlog YMMV.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Yea, and I was metering all wrong (I blame the heat) - I was metering at 90 degrees, like this | . I should have metered for the asphalt.

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah bracketing is okay. Alas.. maybe I'm dense (hurr hurr), but I managed to gently caress up slides with bracketing, too. I used an indicent meter and bracketed just on the wrong side of things - on both counts. Whoops!

Better: A good spot meter, then you can measure the brightest points in the picture. If you expose for that measured value +1/2 to +1/3 a stop you get a good range, and no clipped highlights.
Disadvantage of this method is that the shadows will fall wherever they may, with little you can do about it. Slide has usually 3-5 stops of dynamic range, so if your light meter supports taking multiple readings you can immediately judge the entire DR of the scene. No guessing or bracketing needed.

Basically, the gist of my rant is this: You've already spent lots of bucks on your gear and film.
Why now go and skimp on the meter? Buy a decent one; use it a lifetime and save yourself a lot of headache, sweating and guessing during shooting.

Yea this is my next buy. I was going to buy a macro lens for my digital camera to scan negatives, but better metering is more important. I'm expecting to spend about $300-400 which is not that bad.

8th-samurai posted:

I bracket anything that has tricky exposure/contrast. Generally I'll just take an extra shot over or under the first one not like a full three to five shot bracket.

I should have done that, but I only have 1 roll of Velvia left and wanted to spare some frames. But I ended up with 10 wasted frames instead. Lesson learned :smith:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

How do you process film larger than 4x5? In a tray in the darkroom or do they make really big tanks for 11x14 ones?

I use paper development drums for 8x10. It's more or less a giant daylight tank, but it's hard to fit more than one sheet in the tank at a time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

Have any of you guys ever used a pinhole camera from Lensless Camera Company?

I've made pinholes in the past, but these can take standard film folders which would be nice. The 4x5 one is like $60 on B&H so I'm thinking about just grabbing one, but they make them up to 11x14.

If you shoot stuff like blue X-ray film you can do it in very dim red light in trays, or paper you can just process like you're printing, they're probably the two cheapest options for shooting LF.

I'm thinking of building a stereo 4x5 or 8x10 pinhole camera, or something like 11x14 camera for shooting paper negs.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Mine only took 2 weeks to arrive, obtaining film holders was a bigger hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I looked at my credit card statement yesterday and asked myself, "Self, what the hell were you thinking last week?"
Then the UPS man knocked and I remembered.

I think my exact words were, "I'll make more money. They won't make more Ektachrome."

Expires May 2014 so this is probably the last batch.

• Locked thread