Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FCKGW posted:

I just setup my pool this weekend and have been looking into the same thing.

Most people who are going to get some good use out of their pool get a sand filter and a saltwater system for them. If you're using an Intex pool they now make a sand filter/saltwater system in one. If not, the Intex 2650 sand filter and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater systems are recommended. Those are only $150 and $130 on Amazon right now respectively.

I would suggest you head over to http://www.troublefreepool.com and look around, there's a huge amount of info in there and this time of year a bunch of people are on there and they're pretty helpful.

I ended up buying the stuff last night. An Intex sand filter and an Intex salt system. Haven't hooked up anything yet since my pool isn't Intex and I need fashion up some kind of adapters to hook everything to my skimmer. Did get the salt dumped in at least.

A friend of a friend was offering up a really big Hayward brand sand filter and pump for $200, it was missing a $50 piece. I was really thinking about that, it'd be overkill for my pool but there'd be something nice about something there's lots of parts and service available locally for. But there's also something nice about a 2 year warranty and taking the intex one out of the box brand new and knowing there's no missing pieces I know about or don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

fizzymercy posted:

Seriously, what IS this? It's happening to me too. I cleared my history and cache and it's still doing it. Stupid firefox.

I have another question: Where can I donate a ton of perfectly wonderful but slightly worn books? I'm moving and I really can't take three heavy boxes of books with me and I was already soundly rejected by the mean old librarian in town because of their general age/condition. I really don't want all my lovely books to just go to the dump. :sigh:

Do you work or go to school? Bring a box or two to work/school, leave them in a public area with a note saying FREE TO GOOD HOME.

Edited to add: also ask local hospitals or seniors' homes if they take book donations.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 4, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is it prudent to buy a bicycle helmet off Amazon, or is this something I should really go to a store for and poke at them myself/try them on/talk to knowledgeable people?

(This would just be used casually with the NYC bike share program, no serious racing or offroading.)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 4, 2013

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

haveblue posted:

Is it prudent to buy a bicycle helmet off Amazon, or is this something I should really go to a store for and poke at them myself/try them on/talk to knowledgeable people?

The benefit of going to a store is making sure you get one that is the right size, and having it properly fitted. If you're confident that you can measure the circumference of your head and then put a helmet on correctly, Amazon will be fine.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

haveblue posted:

(This would just be used casually with the NYC bike share program, no serious racing or offroading.)

All helmets meet the same basic safety regulations - the only "danger" is that you'll end up with one that isn't terribly comfortable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My office is going to be moving locations in a few months. What should we look for in commercial movers? What should we avoid? We have a ton of paperwork (we're a law firm).

I've never looked for commercial movers before, and I'm sure they sucker people every day.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Thanatosian posted:

My office is going to be moving locations in a few months. What should we look for in commercial movers? What should we avoid? We have a ton of paperwork (we're a law firm).

I've never looked for commercial movers before, and I'm sure they sucker people every day.

Look for a company that is Bonded. Use a professional company and not Joe Blows brother in-law. Don't cheap out and go with the lowest priced company because you will get what you pay for.

You may experience issues even with the bigger more expensive companies but you will have a lot easier time working out any issues with them later than you will with a low rate company that won't care.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

haveblue posted:

Some helmets are "universal" fit, which means they fit the vast majority of heads. Look for one of these.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Is there a good way to describe a writer who writes a boring story with bad characters, but writes it really well? When the overall plot is bad, but the descriptions are great?

"Technically capable" might work. Alternately you might literally call them a technician.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone else been seeing spam email in similar form to this thing lately? Replace bracketed stuff as appropriate.

quote:

Subject: iRx paid schedule <my name>

Hi <my first name>
We are writing this email to understand and make sure everything was great regarding earlier order

The ones in haste arrived to <my street address> <my city> <my name>

<dropbox URL that's probably a virus>

I get plenty of spam with my name and address all the time, of course, but these things are slipping by gmail's spam filters and it's getting bloody annoying.

(I did another panic-driven password changing spree soon after I started getting these--thanks, KeePass--so no worries on that front.)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Trastion posted:

Maybe a craigslist ad. I am sure someone local would love a bunch of books. Or maybe try SA Mart to sell or give them away to someone local.

Thank you for this advice! I made a craigslist ad, and a local Women's shelter messaged me and asked for the books. Just what I was looking for. Awesome feeling! If anyone else ever has books, your local women's shelter/domestic abuse hostel needs books...go donate!

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone else been seeing spam email in similar form to this thing lately? Replace bracketed stuff as appropriate.

I get plenty of spam with my name and address all the time, of course, but these things are slipping by gmail's spam filters and it's getting bloody annoying.

(I did another panic-driven password changing spree soon after I started getting these--thanks, KeePass--so no worries on that front.)

I've been using a yahoo email account for probably 6 years, maybe more and I get almost no spam, by that I mean maybe 10 spam messages in 6 months. The most frequent of that are some supposed company suing me for some Runescape stuff, random Russian gibberish and I used to get WoW scammers too, but not anymore.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Mr. Pither posted:

Cool, thanks. What I'm looking at right now is picking up a video camera (possibly a GoPro for in-car footage) and most likely some lapel mics. Is there any sort of resource that explains the video camera market to someone who doesn't follow the industry?

And I imagine iMovie is sufficient for Babby's First Edited Video, right?

edit: This dude seems really helpful for anyone who's curious. I'm thinking about getting the low-end GoPro Hero3 but it looks like the mic is gonna require a pretty big investment to sound halfway decent.

Well, a go pro is a pretty niche camera, it's great for in car and action but it's not very versatile. That said, I have a pair of Hero 3s and they're awesome, the app that lets you control/preview them is a great addition. What you might want to look into buying sound wise is something like a Xoom h4n recorder and a WIRED lav mic. They're quite a bit cheaper (the Sony 77s are like $260 new and they sound just fine).

iMovie is probably just fine for what you're doing, and the learning curve is basically non-existant. If you find it not doing the stuff you want, FCPx is a pretty easy jump and it's pretty powerful. Professionally we haven't come around to FCPX, but we're a fickle bunch and it doesn't do all the things we want it to.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this, but could someone help me finding an old thread? It was a CYOA in GBS featuring this hooded animal character. The artwork was really simple and pastel from what I remember, maybe like colored pencils? I remember it was like a fantasy setting with really neat atmosphere. Does anyone else remember this thread and remembers the name or link?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is Vice cool?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

N. Senada posted:

Is Vice cool?
Also want to know this. I have skimmed through it a few times and I can't tell if it's trying to be cool or trying to make fun of people trying to be cool. Don't say "it's both", that doesn't work.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

RFX posted:

Thanks, thats what I figured, I was just hoping it'd be easier. Now the only question is if it's worth doing that or just paying AT&T $120 for some international minutes & data.

Heard about this recently, may be worth looking into-- Doodad. You get one SIM card, preload it with pay and it deals with the different providers for you. Data only, no voice/text, but there are enough smartphone apps that use voip/data instead that it may be usable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hoops posted:

Also want to know this. I have skimmed through it a few times and I can't tell if it's trying to be cool or trying to make fun of people trying to be cool. Don't say "it's both", that doesn't work.

Schrödinger's Hipster

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've recently been getting a lot of strange telemarketing calls (usually the bullshit "you've won 1,000,000 rewards points!" or similar), but what's very strange is that most of them are coming from the same exchange as whatever phone I receive them on. I have two cellphones, let's say one is XXX-555-XXXX and the other is XXX-444-XXXX, and I'll receive calls from 555-YYYY on the 555 number, and calls from 444-ZZZZ on the 444 number. I've also had a few people call me from a number with the same exchange saying they missed a call from me when I have no record of an outgoing call on my phone (so, no pocket-dialing) and likewise I've phoned people after getting a missed call notification who don't have any memory of calling me either. Both my phones are on different cell networks, so I don't think that has anything to do with it since it's been happening to both phones. I think this is a pretty cut-and-dried case of number spoofing, but I have no idea what to do about it or why it's started happening all of a sudden. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm in Alberta, if it makes any difference.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
I'm looking for a little program that gives you a visual representation of how the space on your hdd is taken up. I remember it was a tiny exe that I ran from some website.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

I'm looking for a little program that gives you a visual representation of how the space on your hdd is taken up. I remember it was a tiny exe that I ran from some website.

Windirstat is what you're looking for.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Is there a designated thread about tenancy/landlord issues? I thought maybe the legal thread but I'm just trying to decide on an appropriate reimbursement and wanted a second opinion. It is not at all worth getting a lawyer over.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pomme posted:

Is there a designated thread about tenancy/landlord issues? I thought maybe the legal thread but I'm just trying to decide on an appropriate reimbursement and wanted a second opinion. It is not at all worth getting a lawyer over.

I don't there's a specific legal thread. Post it here, there are more than a few folks who know what they're doing in that arena.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't there's a specific legal thread.
You mean the Legal Questions Megathread linked in the OP?

e: there's even landlord/tenant stuff being discussed in there right now!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You mean the Legal Questions Megathread linked in the OP?

e: there's even landlord/tenant stuff being discussed in there right now!

I meant specific legal thread for landlord tenant questions.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A question about a HTC Desire Z: I know how to add my own files to the SMS notifications and did so, but what I'd like to do was actually setting it up so that they become chosen randomly (since I've a folder of short quips). I can just change them myself, of course, but I'd read someone's post that it was possible to change the sounds to a random selection (but, since I don't know what phone the post was about, it may very well be impossible for me), and that'd be nice. Does anyone know how/if I can do that? The phone is unrooted, if that matters.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Is calling short people "midgets" offensive?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Call Now posted:

Is calling short people "midgets" offensive?

It offends some midgets, yeah.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Thank you!
Basically, I've lived in my privately-owned condo from 7 months and I am on a one year lease. My fireplace does not work, and has not ever worked, and my landlord has consistently promised to fix it. I asked if we could negotiate a partial reduction in rent due to this, until the fireplace is fixed. He said ten dollars a month and I think this is ridiculous because...

- In my opinion the fire place is worth more than ten dollars a month, as it is a main feature of the condo
- It is a service included in my lease
- I do not have to pay for the gas fireplace but I do have to pay hydro, and because it did not work over the cold seasons I could not use it to heat my place and reduce the hydro bill.
- My last reason is because I am only able to use the fireplace from October to April since the building then shuts the gas off, so even if it is fixed now, I am unable to use it.

I am wondering if anyone has an experience with these kind of problems and what kind of numbers were put up front. I searched our local tenancy board and found a few similar files for things like dishwashers. The minimum figure rewarded for non-essential services seems to be fifty dollars per month it does not work. If it makes a difference, I live in a small one bedroom plus den, and total rent is $1100 plus utilities (except gas.) I did email the tenancy board but it usually takes several days to hear back.

Edit: Welp, I just checked my lease and it isn't included. I have proof of my landlord saying he will fix it several times, will this have weight to it?

pomme fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 5, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pomme posted:

Thank you!
Basically, I've lived in my privately-owned condo from 7 months and I am on a one year lease. My fireplace does not work, and has not ever worked, and my landlord has consistently promised to fix it. I asked if we could negotiate a partial reduction in rent due to this, until the fireplace is fixed. He said ten dollars a month and I think this is ridiculous because...

- In my opinion the fire place is worth more than ten dollars a month, as it is a main feature of the condo
- It is a service included in my lease
- I do not have to pay for the gas fireplace but I do have to pay hydro, and because it did not work over the cold seasons I could not use it to heat my place and reduce the hydro bill.
- My last reason is because I am only able to use the fireplace from October to April since the building then shuts the gas off, so even if it is fixed now, I am unable to use it.

I am wondering if anyone has an experience with these kind of problems and what kind of numbers were put up front. I searched our local tenancy board and found a few similar files for things like dishwashers. The minimum figure rewarded for non-essential services seems to be fifty dollars per month it does not work. If it makes a difference, I live in a small one bedroom plus den, and total rent is $1100 plus utilities (except gas.) I did email the tenancy board but it usually takes several days to hear back.

First of all, I thought we were in the Goon living thread so you may want to repost your question there. Whether or not you have anything enforceable will depend on your state/province landlord tenant laws and the specific wording of the lease. If the lease promises a working fireplace, then you may have an action. Amenities are generally not considered part of the bargain when renting an apartment, and if a fireplace is considered that then you may have no recourse (again, depending on the local laws). But assuming you have something actionable, the difficult challenge becomes assigning value. Do they have condos in your development without fireplaces? How different are those prices? If the fireplace is only normally usable for 6 months of the year, but he is offering the discount for all 12 months, then you really have to apply that money to the months it is usable and look at it as $20/month that you're saving. It gets especially complicated here because he pays for the gas, so then you have to decide how much extra you pay out of pocket to heat the apartment with electricity instead of the fireplace. So there's no easy way to come up with a value.

Around here, your best bet in that situation would be to file a court action known as a tenant's assertion. If victorious, the court could compel your landlord to fix the problem or terminate your lease. It would be very unusual for a court to try to determine the value of something like that and reduce the rent based on it. But you could certainly make the argument that that was a driving factor in your decision to lease there, and get out of the lease based on his failure to provide it.

So bottom line for me, I would say that a rent reduction is unrealistic here as the value is impossible to ascertain. Instead, you should look for a way to compel him to fix it or to let you out of your lease. Since he pays for gas, using that as a primary heat source in the winter is likely costing him a lot money, so he may well be happier letting you out of the lease. But again your courts may have a mechanism through which you can pay your rent into escrow which they will hold until he makes good on his end of the bargain, ie fixing the fireplace. Without knowing the specifics of what country you even live in, I would start with a certified letter demanding that the fireplace be fixed and citing the relevant lease passage that promises a working fireplace. This will almost always be required before any legal action is taken.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
10 hour videos on Youtube download way slower

The 10 hour + videos download at a crappy 30KB/s, but a 5 hour one will max out my connection.

Any solution?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pomme posted:

Edit: Welp, I just checked my lease and it isn't included. I have proof of my landlord saying he will fix it several times, will this have weight to it?

Not really. There is no oral contract there because you're not offering anything in return. And a promise to fix something does not mean it's something he's already contractually obligated to fix. That doesn't mean you couldn't be successful in a court action, as you can make the case that you would not have rented there without the fireplace, but again courts aren't generally in the business of renegotiating rent prices, but determining if the contract was breached. The resolution to breaches of a lease are generally termination of said lease.

But I would still go ahead and send a certified letter stating that this was part of your bargain when you rented there, and demanding that he fix it or you will be forced to pursue the appropriate legal remedies at your disposal. Send that off, then wait to hear back from him and the housing board.

pomme
May 8, 2013

Not really. There is no oral contract there because you're not offering anything in return. And a promise to fix something does not mean it's something he's already contractually obligated to fix. That doesn't mean you couldn't be successful in a court action, as you can make the case that you would not have rented there without the fireplace, but again courts aren't generally in the business of renegotiating rent prices, but determining if the contract was breached. The resolution to breaches of a lease are generally termination of said lease.

But I would still go ahead and send a certified letter stating that this was part of your bargain when you rented there, and demanding that he fix it or you will be forced to pursue the appropriate legal remedies at your disposal. Send that off, then wait to hear back from him and the housing board.

Thank you! I'm going to send a certified letter. I ended up calling my local tenancy board and they said I do have a case, and that the figure he has offered me not reasonable. Thanks again.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
A recent report about my city stated that Blacks are 42% of the total population, but only 25% of the eligible workforce. How exactly is a metro area's eligible workforce calculated, and what are some factors that could account for such a large gap between between a group's share of the overall population and its share of the eligible workforce?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

A recent report about my city stated that Blacks are 42% of the total population, but only 25% of the eligible workforce. How exactly is a metro area's eligible workforce calculated, and what are some factors that could account for such a large gap between between a group's share of the overall population and its share of the eligible workforce?

Could it be that children aren't eligible for the workforce?

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

syscall girl posted:

Could it be that children aren't eligible for the workforce?

I'm sure children and elderly people are part of it, but I wasn't sure if that would be enough to account for such a large gap.

Giant Squid fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 5, 2013

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Giant Squid posted:

I thought the definition of workforce was able and willing to work.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

drat, here in CA the tenant board told me all I have to do is send correspondence requesting that a repair be done, and that if it isn't within 14 days, I may elect to have it repaired myself and deduct it from my rent, no court necessary. Were they lying to me or is this just California being crazier than the rest of the country?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

West007 posted:

I thought the definition of workforce was able and willing to work.
It generally is, at least in the US and when anyone is talking about "official" unemployment numbers. Once someone stops (proving that they are) making an effort to find work and are available for work, they're no longer counted as "unemployed" or "underemployed" since they're no longer in the "eligible workforce."

It's pretty double-speakish but I sort of understand why they do it.

Also people on disability, in prison, asylums, working illegally or under the table, in the country illegally or without a work visa, etc. are obviously not in the "eligible workforce" either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the term for a clue for insiders that outsiders don't notice? For example, a business name that says "Christian-owned business" to only people familiar with certain biblical vocabulary.