Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ I understand what you're saying, but I have a feeling we're never going to agree on this and would rather not go back and forth about it. Just judging by your avatar, you must really like TSW, and I thought it was one of the worst MMOs I've played in recent years. I think we just have very different standards and expectations here, which is fine!

The avatar was actually forced on me in the same way SFD often picks the people with the highest post counts in threads to advertise themselves :v:

But no, I didn't like the combat in TSW all that much and one of my biggest gripes about it WAS how floaty it was. I also dislike the very small cap to active abilities and always felt like I could use at least another set of abilities to handle different situations. I much preferred combat in GW2. The story, actual instances, "leveling" system and investigation missions were leagues more memorable than most other things in GW2. Even though as a game, GW2 was still overall better, it just doesn't have anything that really stands out outside of the overworld leveling.

Minsky posted:

Neverwinter has similar combat as GW2, but it roots you to the ground for even the most basic attacks (I think--I confess I've mostly played control wizard in that game though I've at least tried all classes) and doesn't suffer from that issue. Rooting you in place of course has its own downsides, but I personally am okay with it because it makes it more difficult to avoid standing in fire, which is also a big part of Neverwinter combat.
Thats part of it yes, the developers even went and outright said it. I still think things like the ragdoll physics help as well given how they fly out when you hit them. At least on my GWF, with its wide swings and high crit, it felt like I was hitting like a truckas every single trash mob started flying everywhere.

In wildstar everything I've seen points to attacks rooting you, but they still dont look like they have a whole lot of force behind them. Sure, they might look better than most of the older games but against some of the newer MMO that are out or in the pipeline they dont look good at all.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Harrow posted:

That sort of windmill thing doesn't help either. I have to imagine there are better ways to do moving attack animations than making it look like your legs aren't even attached to the same body as your torso/arms.

I think the two most common ways of doing it are to animate the upper torso and legs separately, so that most things can be done while moving - the upper body animating the attack, the lower body running. The other is to just animate the full body, but they usually root you to do this so you don't just slide around everywhere.

I imagine if combat wants you to be mobile and such, that most things would be upper body only. Otherwise it gets pretty painful.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Harrow posted:

Part of this "floaty" feeling in GW2, to me, comes from the running animation. It doesn't look particularly connected to the ground, despite the fact that there's a noticeable "acceleration" animation when you start moving. I think the Asura actually feel the best, probably because they have a lot of small steps instead of longer strides. It's not that the movement is actually imprecise--it isn't, as far as I can tell--it just looks floaty and thus "feels" that way to some people.

That sort of windmill thing doesn't help either. I have to imagine there are better ways to do moving attack animations than making it look like your legs aren't even attached to the same body as your torso/arms.

I'm not an animator, but I imagine that a part of what makes a swing from a big weapon look convincingly "heavy" is that it should be obvious there's momentum behind the swing. The way to show that visually I guess is to show your body bracing to maintain balance, and I don't know if it's even possible show such a thing if the bottom half of your body is currently executing any kind of running animation. This then indirectly makes the weapon you're swinging look lighter than it is because how can you possibly swing something heavy while running around like that, which then creates the windmill look if the weapon happens to be something like a huge two-handed sword or hammer.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats part of it yes, the developers even went and outright said it. I still think things like the ragdoll physics help as well given how they fly out when you hit them. At least on my GWF, with its wide swings and high crit, it felt like I was hitting like a truckas every single trash mob started flying everywhere.

In wildstar everything I've seen points to attacks rooting you, but they still dont look like they have a whole lot of force behind them. Sure, they might look better than most of the older games but against some of the newer MMO that are out or in the pipeline they dont look good at all.

You're right that there's certainly a lot other things that have to come together and I don't think rooting alone is sufficient. Rooting also can only work if there's a really responsive and fluid way to cancel out of an attack animation. If that's not there, then I'd rather have floaty WOW-style combat any day. I think Neverwinter and Tera do it best though from all the MMOs that I've played. I think there's a lot of non MMOs though (namely most of the fighting game genre) that do it even better.

As far as TSW, I only played it at release, but let's just say that in my opinion the combat animations were probably the part I liked least about it (while the setting, missions and dungeon bosses were all fantastic).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minsky posted:

I'm not an animator, but I imagine that a part of what makes a swing from a big weapon look convincingly "heavy" is that it should be obvious there's momentum behind the swing. The way to show that visually I guess is to show your body bracing to maintain balance, and I don't know if it's even possible show such a thing if the bottom half of your body is currently executing any kind of running animation. This then indirectly makes the weapon you're swinging look lighter than it is because how can you possibly swing something heavy while running around like that, which then creates the windmill look if the weapon happens to be something like a huge two-handed sword or hammer.

I think you're almost certainly right, at least from my casual observations. It's probably why I feel like combat is tighter in Tera, because the attacks either root you in place or carry you with their own momentum, so everything looks like it has the appropriate weight.

Probably the best middle-ground here is to have attacks root you in place, but allow you to voluntarily move or at least use your dodge-roll to cancel the attack, and make sure that a lot of melee attacks have movement components involved in them (so you're not often standing still swinging at air). Of course, allowing animation-canceling would require some careful balancing, since I'm sure there'll be some wonderfully min-max way to cancel each move at the exact right frame to maximize DPS.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Something I notice in many video games is the lack of enemy reactions to being hit or shot. It's very jarring to take a big swing at a guy and see nothing but a number pop up. Even if it has only an aesthetic purpose, adding body reactions to being hit, in my opinion, goes a very long way in making combat feel fun and impactful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Probably the best middle-ground here is to have attacks root you in place, but allow you to voluntarily move or at least use your dodge-roll to cancel the attack, and make sure that a lot of melee attacks have movement components involved in them (so you're not often standing still swinging at air). Of course, allowing animation-canceling would require some careful balancing, since I'm sure there'll be some wonderfully min-max way to cancel each move at the exact right frame to maximize DPS.

Animation weaving is something that happens even in more traditional MMOs. I remember weaving my active attacks with my auto attacks in aion to maximize damage. :getin:

TERA allows you to dodge roll or guard to break the animation. Im pretty sure B&S lets you parry between animations. Its mostly a defensive thing since guards and rolls have internal cooldowns so doing it to increase your damage will just gently caress you up when the enemies decide to attack.

Im almost certain this is the case with Wildstar as well.

Pelvis Thrustly
May 28, 2013

Really...?
“Gentlemen, you had my curiosity… but now you have my attention.” Calvin Candie, expressing the very same sentiment I experienced when I discovered Wildstar will boast player housing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDasSMtoDs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

Something I notice in many video games is the lack of enemy reactions to being hit or shot. It's very jarring to take a big swing at a guy and see nothing but a number pop up. Even if it has only an aesthetic purpose, adding body reactions to being hit, in my opinion, goes a very long way in making combat feel fun and impactful.

GW2 didn't do this, but I did like that it has different death animations for different types of murder. I remember the first time I killed a bandit with a Chain Lightning as my Elementalist and he got electrocuted and made a goofy noise and fell over. It's a really nice touch, and I agree it'd be great if enemies actually physically reacted to getting hit reliably.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I wonder why they don't just make it so every enemy has a flinch animation that only plays and plays for you when you hit the person.

I don't think seeing the guy go into like super twitchy mode like raid bosses sometimes do is important, but like, seeing a guy reel back when YOU hit them will at least provide the most awesome feeling while not looking super buggy.

Also, animation tells aren't as important in Wildstar because they have that AoE indicator.

Edit: Hitreel animations are like, one of the big things of most combat oriented games (like DmC style stuff, or fighting games), those along with your character's animations (windup/recovery with a key dynamic pose when the attack hits and is synched with other stuff), particles, sound and also hitstun/stop (which isn't going to be put into an MMO, let's be reaL) all add to the power of an attack. Adding as much of this as possible and making it all feel good and in line with all of the other parts do the most of making combat feel awesome without even dealing with the mechanics.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 4, 2013

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Excited by the prospect of arena and an ELO system.

Now it's completely up to the Wildstar team to give PVP enough complexity to make it engaging/exciting. I'm not entirely sure this will be possible given the multitude of "new" gameplay types they're trying to insert into the game, as PVP in any game probably needs more than a handful of developers attention to be done right. A good start would be giving players a large toolbox instead of, say, the 12 button massive piece of poo poo that was GW2.

e: At least they've simplified faction choice. God bless anyone who seriously thinks that anyone who rolls Aurin won't be some sort of hosed up little weirdo.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 4, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Fly McCool posted:

Excited by the prospect of arena and an ELO system.

As long as they don't copy absolutely anything from WoW arenas.

Multi-round (at least bo5) arena matches where things actually die would be nice. Also add 1v1 arena, who the gently caress cares if it's impossible to balance, give it lower rewards (e.g. vanity-only) or something.

e: also never mention eSports in any context ever

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 4, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fly McCool posted:

A good start would be giving players a large toolbox instead of, say, the 12 button massive piece of poo poo that was GW2.
What was wrong with condensing the lovely UI most MMOs have?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think having 8-10 active abilities is fine if your combat isnt absolute poo poo. Most rotations wont have you press more than 5 buttons, some of them are as brain dead as spamming a single button till a proc triggers and then change which button you press during the execute phase. Most games now days are moving away from huge amounts of attacks as baseline because quite frankly, you never really did press those buttons 99/100 times.

The easiest example of overblown amount of abilities that serve little to no purpose is SWTOR. You could take down half abilities or have talents supplant some baselines instead of giving you an altogether new ability and it would have drastically cut down on toolbar clutter.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 4, 2013

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Double Bill posted:

As long as they don't copy absolutely anything from WoW arenas.

Multi-round (at least bo5) arena matches where things actually die would be nice. Also add 1v1 arena, who the gently caress cares if it's impossible to balance, give it lower rewards (e.g. vanity-only) or something.

I don't know what game you're playing (played?) but the state of WoW arena right now is one in which things die in the first-third minute of a match in a single global. In some cases you have to work to set that global up, but there are many classes capable of simply training their opponent while outdamaging healing with only a modest amount of CC. The burst is that insane. If you play wizards vs wizards, assuming both teams are about equal skill level, things die after 20+ minutes and favorable RNG. How these games go depend almost entirely on the comps you play. Which I agree is not ideal.

However, there are a few things I would like to see implemented from WoW arena. There is a huge amount of diversity not only between classes, but within the same class as well. For example, a destruction warlock and an affliction warlock have a completely different feel. I am not 100% sure how talents and internal class specializations will work out or if they will be included in the game at all, but if they are I think this will only improve the quality of the game. Second, as I suppose I've already expressed, I like having more rather than less utility, which usually means more buttons to push. While including more buttons is not the only way to raise the skill cap of a game to a level to engage more PVP minded individuals, it is a time tested one and one that I am pleased with.

Finally, I happen to prefer longer games to shorter games. When WoW arena is decently balanced, longer games tend to be the result of the plethora of ways in which your enemies and you have to shut each other down (usually as be the result of CC or defensive strategy). I realize I am most likely in the minority in regards to that particular point of view, but I think if you remove utility PVP just becomes too simplistic.

Despite the length of some games, the pace of WoW arena is actually pretty fast by MMO standards for PVP. Perhaps the challenge for the Wildstar team will be in identifying ways to make the games quick without sacrificing pace or complexity.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
You can still get plenty of customization out of a class in a limited-toolbar system if you create more skills than the toolbar can hold, as in GW1. Then you can be your special snowflake (read, play whatever the top build is) and we don't have to deal with 40-button ability bars.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think having 8-10 active abilities is fine if your combat isnt absolute poo poo. Most rotations wont have you press more than 5 buttons, some of them are as brain dead as spamming a single button till a proc triggers and then change which button you press during the execute phase. Most games now days are moving away from huge amounts of attacks as baseline because quite frankly, you never really did press those buttons 99/100 times.

The easiest example of overblown amount of abilities that serve little to no purpose is SWTOR. You could take down half abilities or have talents supplant some baselines instead of giving you an altogether new ability and it would have drastically cut down on toolbar clutter.

Maybe that was the case in SW:TOR, and I know I am beginning to sound like a huge Blizzard apologist despite my contempt for the current state of WoW PVP, but I think their combat system is set up in a way that pretty much every single one of your spells or abilities for virtually all classes serves some purpose in PVP while many of the same spells were significantly less useful in PVE or more specifically endgame PVE.

GW2 PVP felt clunky and awkward and removed a large portion of the skill cap with auto targeting. On top of that, trying to kill an enemy while they try and kill you, especially with a comparatively vastly limited number of ways to counter that damage, just seems boring to me and most people I imagine. It just creates for scenarios where offense is always your greatest defense which greatly reduces the importance and variability of strategy (comparatively). I just hope Wildstar doesn't make the same mistakes.

e: Also I think the first part of the above quote might be in regards to PVE only? Hopefully there isn't a PVP rotation in this game at all.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 4, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I disagree that the problem with MMO combat is that of a rotation. That's like saying that combo strings are what makes fighting games bad. The hotbar is just an interface which allows for many different options.

The problem is brain dead enemy encounters. When a fight is just a DPS race where each side executes their strategy without much interaction from the opponent, it's incredibly boring (unless the execution is difficult to perform or the combat is really quick). Dodging is a good start and 'avoiding fire' IS a good gameplay mechanic because it forces you to break out of a combat rotation in most games - even non MMOs. Interrupts and counterspells also add to the complexity in positive ways.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Wall of text incoming.

quote:

Paths are Wildstars way of adding depth to you character and give you unique content based on the way you like to play. We have 4 possible paths to choose that will give you a variety of content to do alongside your normal questing which in turn provides you a number of rewards.

Picking a path is required at Character Creation; however doing the content is optional. You can’t currently change your path, once selected, it is now a part of who you are.

Rewards

This is what you really want to know about, what do I get for all my hard work? Well there are currently 30 Ranks to the Path system. Every Path earns 3 abilities (which increase in power over time), a number of bags, titles, costume items and a few things for your house.

Ability 1 (Tier 1, 2, 3) awarded at Rank 2, 14, 27
Ability 2 (Tier 1, 2, 3) awarded at Rank 5, 18, 29
Ability 3 (Tier 1, 2, 3) awarded at Rank 10, 23, 30
Bags (Slots 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12) awarded at Rank 3, 7, 12, 17, 22, 30
House Item - Festival FABkit (Tier 1, 2, 3) awarded at Rank 4, 6, 10
Titles awarded at Rank 6, 15, 20, 25 –
Costume Item (Coat, Epaulets, Boots, Pants, Gloves, Hats) awarded at Rank 5, 8, 9, 11, 13, 16

Settler

The Settler’s mission is to tame the wilds of planet Nexus, collecting resources to construct beneficial improvements for the community at
large. Bravely facing the dangers of an alien planet for the greater good, Settlers are sure to earn adoration of their companions as they adventure
across Nexus!

Abilities

Resurrection Station

Place a Resurrection Station that resurrects all nearby allies and gives them a brief health regeneration buff.

Summon Shield Generator

Summons a shield generator which reduces the damage taken inside the field by 25% / 30% / 35%

Summon Turret

Summons in a Turret at your location that deals (125% / 225% / 300% Assault Power) damage to any target in front of it.

Mission Types

You've unlocked a Settler mission! All Settler missions are tied to the Settler hubs in the nearby area. Your missions involve building improvements to the world, upgrading the area for everyone!

EXPANSION:
That town ain't going to improve itself. So step up, strap on a toolbelt, and get to work building things that make everyone's life a little easier.

You've unlocked a Settler Hub Expansion mission! The Datachron contains all the information you need to build up an area and complete your mission. The Resources section lists the different resources that power the improvements in the area. Each improvement that you build awards you with some mission credit. Look for these depots to begin building!

SUPPLY CACHE:
Who has time to sit around and wait for vital supplies to show up on a platter? Put on those boots and bring home the bacon!

These are discovered items throughout the world. Looks like a golden are on the ground that click on and get the goodies inside.

PUBLIC SERVICE:
Some people just don't have the grit and backbone to get the job done. Good thing you do. Achieve tasks for the greater good, and get rewarded for it.

You've found a Settler depot! Interacting with the depot causes the Settler Builder to appear. Left click a Settler icon to select the build site to build at. A list of available improvements at this location will appear on the right. The cost of the improvement is shown in the window, and how much overall progress will be added to the hub. You can continue to build improvements, even after your mission is complete! Building improvements in a hub fills up the progress meters, so fill them all up to unlock something special!

CIVIL DEFENSE:
Town guards can handle the small stuff. But when the biggest, meanest monsters on Nexus come a-knockin', you'll step up and save the day!

INFRASTRUCTURE:
Are you ready for some serious real estate development? Then do your civic duty and build hospitals, taverns, and spaceports for your friends and allies.

You've unlocked a Settler Infrastructure mission! When this type of mission is available, the Infrastructure portion of the Datachron will highlight. Click the Infrastructure panel to display a guide arrow pointing you toward it. To begin an infrastructure that hasn't been started by another Settler already, find the starter NPC to begin. Talk to the NPC to begin the building process. The NPC will have tasks for you, and completing
them will fuel the construction efforts, or maintain it after completion. Your mission progress is displayed in the Datachron. The Status button will display the progress of the current Infrastructure in the area. Work together with other Settlers to build it faster! Complete the infrastructure and get a unique payoff for all to see!

Scientist

The Scientist has come to Nexus to study its exotic flora, dangerous fauna, and ancient technology. Utilizing a powerful, upgradeable Scanbot to scan creatures and uncover lore, the Scientist is living proof that knowledge is power!

Abilities

Mental Acuity

Increases the Critical Hit Rating of you and your group by 135 / 260 / 380 for 20.0 seconds.

Rejuvenation

The Scientist heals for [500% / 550% / 600% Weapon DPS] instantly and heals an additional [100% / 125% / 150% Weapon DPS] every second for the next 8.0 seconds.

Probe

Send one of your probes to your target, the probe deals [150% / 175% / 200% Weapon DPS] to your target and nearby enemies each tick for 18.0 seconds.

Mission Types

You've unlocked your first scientist scan mission! You'll find these scientist indicators throughout Nexus. To complete the mission, summon your Scan Bot and send it to investigate. To summon your Scan Bot, left click its picture in your Datachron. To send your Scan Bot to investigate, left click the Scan button or use the ('G') key. Once the Scan Bot has finished scanning, it will return to you with the information it gathered. Your Scan Bot might upset the local wildlife, so keep an eye on its health. The scanning process may uncover unique properties that can grant you temporary benefits, so scan everything you can find! To complete the mission, scan enough of the target to reach 100%.

ANALYSIS:
Time to put that big brain of yours to work! Whether it's a bug-eyed monster or the enemy's databanks, it's up to you to scan it.

BIOLOGY:
Nexus is home to the craziest critters this side of the Fringe! You and your trusty scanbot better get crackin'.

CATALOG:
Knowledge is power. Which is good, because Nexus has a lot of knowledge that needs to be collected and catalogued. Time to power up!

DIAGNOSTICS:
You're a scientist, and that means you can fix stuff. Whether it's a broken leg or a busted bot, you'll diagnose the problem and take care of it.

ARCHEOLOGY:
The Eldan left behind a whole planet full of awesome. So start scanning those relics, robots, and radical machines!

BOTANY:
Studying plants on Nexus is cool. Especially when those plants are trying to chew your face off. Stopping to smell the flowers? Not recommended.

CHEMISTRY:
Nexus is full of exotic materials and alien compounds just waiting to be studied. Are some of them ridiculously dangerous? No doubt about it.

FIELD STUDY:
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of hostile alien life forms? You do. Study behavior patterns among the natives. And try not to get killed.

You've unlocked a Field Study mission! These missions involve studying the behaviors of creatures on Nexus. Click the arrow button to the right of the mission title to reveal the objectives. The Field Study will list the creatures and behaviors that need to be studied. When you see the creature exhibiting the behavior, scan it! To complete the mission, record all the listed behaviors.

Soldier

The Soldier tackles combat heavy missions, gaining access to special weaponry and objectives as he fights across Nexus. Often battling waves of enemies, Soldiers will use every tool at their disposal to hack and slash their way to victory!

Abilities

Battle Rage

The Soldier grows in size increasing his primary attributes by 3 / 4 /5 per player level for 15.0 seconds.

Clear the Lines

The Soldier Knocks back all nearby enemies 8 yards. Additionally, the Soldier breaks any CC effect on him and his Interrupt Armor is increased by 1 / 2 / 3 for 12.0 seconds.

Summon Reinforcements

Summon in a Gunner and Soldier Reinforcement.

The Soldier deals [75% / 100% / 125% Weapon DPS] with his basic attacks. The Soldier’s special attack knocks down all enemies in front of him for 1.0 seconds and deals [200% / 275% / 400% Weapon DPS] each hit.

The Gunner deals [50% / 75% / 100% Weapon DPS] with her basic attacks. The Gunner's special attack lines up a ranged shot that deals [400% / 475% / 550% Weapon DPS] and knocks down anyone hit for 1.5 seconds.

Mission Types

You've unlocked a Soldier mission! Your Datachron contains all of the path mission you've unlocked in a zone. Left click the mission title in the Datachron to display a guide arrow that will point you in the right direction. You can also open your World Map ('M') to see the area that the mission takes place in. When you locate a Soldier Beacon, right click it to activate the mission!

ASSASSINATION:
Ever dreamed of being a hit man? Channel your inner assassin as you track down targets, put them in your sights, and rack up the body counts!

You've unlocked an Assassination mission! Your mission is to find and eliminate specific targets given to you by the beacon hologram. Clicking the mission title in the Datachron after activating the beacon will point you toward your mark. When you locate the target, prepare yourself and take 'em out!

RESCUE OP:
Listen up, Soldier! We have civilians that have been taken hostage by the enemy, and we need you to get 'em out of there! Are we clear? Get moving!

You've unlocked a Rescue Operation mission! To complete the mission, find and rescue your nearby allies! When you find a captive, right-click or hit the ('F') key to free them. They can't save themselves, so get to work!

HOLDOUT - CONQUER:
Are you ready to lock, load, and start taking care of business? Defend your territory against waves of hostile enemies. No guts, no glory!

You've found a Soldier Holdout Beacon! Right click it or use the ('F') key to begin the event! Waves of enemies will begin to attack. Keep an eye on the Datachron to see your progress during the holdout. To complete the mission, defeat all of the waves before time expires! You can enlist other players to help you out as well. Good luck, Soldier!

HOLDOUT - FIRST STRIKE:
Hit 'em hard, and hit 'em fast! Strike your targets and destroy them before they call in reinforcements, then bask in the glow of your badassitude!

You've unlocked a Holdout: First Strike mission! Each wave begins with an object concealing enemies to appear. Destroy the objects before the
enemies pop out to prevent them from appearing! The more objects you take out, the less enemies you have to deal with!

DEMOLITION:
Most problems can be solved with the right amount of explosives. Blow stuff up using bombs, grenades and other weapons of mass destruction. BOOM!

You've unlocked a Demolition mission! To complete the mission, you'll need to blow up specific targets. Search for the targets and rig them with
explosives. If they don't detonate right away, hit the 'G' key when you've found all the targets to blow them all up at once!

SWAT:
Special Weapons and Tactics. Know what it really means? Shiny new toys! Test advanced military hardware on your foes. Mercy? Not part of the equation.

You've unlocked a S.W.A.T. mission! The objective is to test new special weapons on your enemies. When you find your target, click the icon in
your Datachron, or use the ('G') key to fire off the weapon. Use the weapon enough times to complete the mission!

HOLDOUT - SECURITY:
No one likes a thief. That's where you come in. Defend your loot against dirty underhanded criminals, and crack some skulls with the hammer of justice!

You've unlocked a Holdout: Security mission! When you activate the mission, the resources you need to secure will appear. Killing the thieves
will cause them to drop the resource they were carrying. If the thieves escape with all the resources, you'll fail the mission and have to start over!

HOLDOUT - PROTECT:
Being a hero ain't easy... but it's time to step up. Defend allies against incoming waves of hostiles, ensuring they survive another day!

You've unlocked a Holdout: Protect mission! Your mission is to defend the friendly NPCs from oncoming enemies! The green bar in your Datachron shows the health of the defendants. As they take damage, the bar will decrease. Defeat all of the waves without losing all your defendants to succeed. Good luck, Soldier!

HOLDOUT - TIMED:

You've unlocked a Holdout: Timed mission! There's no limit to the number of enemies that will attack you during this mission. To complete the mission, survive the onslaught until the timer expires! Keep up with the waves or you'll get over-run. Good luck, Soldier!

HOLDOUT - FORTIFY:

You've unlocked a Holdout: Fortify mission! Activating the beacon will activate the build phase and display the "Tower Defense Builder" window.
Keep an eye on the time left in the build phase, and how many credits you have to spend. When the time expires, the holdout begins! To complete the mission, use the defenses and your own might to protect your target from being destroyed!

Explorer

The wild frontiers are the perfect place for an Explorer! Often traveling to the most dangerous places on Nexus, Explorers claim territory for their faction by
finding hidden paths, exploring secret caves, and climbing the tallest mountains.

Abilities

Explorer's Speed

The Explorer increases their run speed and all nearby allies run speed by 20% / 30% / 40% for 15.0 seconds.

Eldan Endurance

The Explorer's Endurance is increased by 250 / 275% / 300% and their jump height by 25% / 30% / 35% for 10.0 seconds.

Eldan Relic

The Explorer uncovers his latest discovery dealing [700% / 750% / 800% Weapon DPS] damage and blinding all nearby enemies for
3.0 seconds.

Mission Types

You've unlocked an Explorer mission! Your Datachron will contain all the path missions that you have unlocked. Left click the mission title in the Datachron to display a guide arrow that will point you in the right direction. Once a mission is unlocked, you can open the World Map ('M') to see the area that it takes place in. Keep an eye out on the Datachron when you are nearing your mission objectives. When it lights up, you're in the right place!

CARTOGRAPHY:
Making maps has never been more fun... or more dangerous! Travel into the untamed wilds of Nexus and chart territory for your faction.

EXPEDITION:
The uncharted frontier awaits! Strike out into the great unknown, making sure to explore every last inch of the map. Cowards need not apply.

You've unlocked an Explorer Vista mission! These missions lead you to areas overlooking vast landscapes. When you are close to your objective, the mission in your Datachron will light up. Click the arrow to the right to pinpoint the location. The closer you get to the Vista location, the more bars will light up. When all four bars are full, hit the Place button to call down your beacon!

SCAVENGER HUNT:
Ancient artifacts? Check. Remote, inaccessible locations? Check. Fearless explorers who laugh in the face of danger? Oh yeah.

You've unlocked an Explorer Scavenger Hunt mission! Follow the guide arrows to the clue giver, and read carefully to get hints where the hunt will take you! You can open the World Map ('M') to see where you should be looking. When you are ready to begin searching, click the arrow
button next to the mission title. When you're close to a piece of the puzzle, a clue will light up and the meter will begin filling. You'll have to dig, search, or even kill to find each piece. The stronger the meter, the better your chance of finding it!

SURVEILLANCE:
Get your secret agent on! There's a war out there, and you need to set up remote surveillance devices to keep an eye on the enemy.

You've unlocked an Explorer Surveillance mission! Left click the mission title to direct you to the nearest territory point. When you are near the area, the bar under the mission title will begin to fill up. Click the arrow on the mission for more information. Clicking the Place button when the bar are full drops your probe and surveys the territory for your faction!

EXPLORATION:
Nexus is chock full of secret places, and you'll find every one! Use a combination of technology and agility to access hidden locations!

Discover 100% of the area map. Travel everywhere and ensure you see it all and unlock the hexes of the Map completely.

OPERATIONS:
Exploring isn't just about climbing mountains. Sometimes you gotta gear up, buckle down, and get a job done. Skills definitely pay the bills.

STAKING CLAIM:
Nexus ain't big enough for everyone, and second place sucks. So get out there, plant your flag, and claim this planet for your allies.

You've unlocked an Explorer Claim Territory mission! Left click the mission title to direct you to the nearest territory point. When you are near the area, the bar under the mission title will begin to fill up. Click the arrow on the mission for more information. Clicking the Place button when the bar is full drops your flag and claims the territory for your faction!

TRACKING:
Ready to hunt? Track enemies, creatures and strange anomalies through the unforgiving terrain of planet Nexus. Epic rewards? You know it.

You've unlocked an Explorer Power Map mission! This mission requires you to chase down objectives as they travel throughout the world! Click the mission title to be guided to the beginning of the chase! When you reach the starting line, Click the arrow button to display the Power Map in your Datachron. Click Start and the objective will appear! Chase after it, and don't let it get too far away or you'll have to start over. The objective will drop things to collect on the way. Collect enough of them, but don't slow down! If you do fail the mission, don't worry! Make your way back to the start and try again!

HIDDEN DOOR:

You've unlocked an Explorer Door! Your mission is to find the door and investigate where it leads! Click the mission title to be directed toward the closest door that only Explorers can open! Once you find the entrance, you can open it for yourself and others! Explore the newly discovered area fully to complete the mission!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

I disagree that the problem with MMO combat is that of a rotation. That's like saying that combo strings are what makes fighting games bad. The hotbar is just an interface which allows for many different options.

The problem is brain dead enemy encounters. When a fight is just a DPS race where each side executes their strategy without much interaction from the opponent, it's incredibly boring (unless the execution is difficult to perform or the combat is really quick). Dodging is a good start and 'avoiding fire' IS a good gameplay mechanic because it forces you to break out of a combat rotation in most games - even non MMOs. Interrupts and counterspells also add to the complexity in positive ways.
Im not saying the issue is the rotations, Im saying that having a bloated toolbar is a dumb thing that most new MMOs are trying to avoid. Even WoW is condensing their toolbars with how specializations work now. Rift does away with all of it with their macros. TSW has like 6 buttons, NWO has like 8, GW2 has like 14?

Hell, rotations have to be kept simple because of the amount of poo poo raid instances throw at you now days. Saying that they are brain dead dps races isn't really true at all and only applies to brain dead leveling experience for the most part.

e- I wonder if scientist get like an actual UI window with lore and information on the things they've discovered. I love bestiaries and things like that. If engineers really use rifles and are dps/healers, I might go Engi/Scientist at launch.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 4, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Going explorer, no question

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im not saying the issue is the rotations, Im saying that having a bloated toolbar is a dumb thing that most new MMOs are trying to avoid. Even WoW is condensing their toolbars with how specializations work now. Rift does away with all of it with their macros. TSW has like 6 buttons, NWO has like 8, GW2 has like 14?
And Wildstar looks to be no different, with its 10 ability hotbar. So it's a really strange thing for him to say.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Going explorer, no question

Scientist or Settler, i dont care whats the best. :colbert:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Probad posted:

You can still get plenty of customization out of a class in a limited-toolbar system if you create more skills than the toolbar can hold, as in GW1. Then you can be your special snowflake (read, play whatever the top build is) and we don't have to deal with 40-button ability bars.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what they're doing.

Streyr
May 14, 2006
Penguin God

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If engineers really use rifles and are dps/healers, I might go Engi/Scientist at launch.

Engi is going to be DPS/Tank with the Medic being DPS/Healer it looks like unless they make more dps/healer then dps/tank classes. Though tanking people by shooting them in face doesn't seem all that bad :getin:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Streyr posted:

Engi is going to be DPS/Tank with the Medic being DPS/Healer it looks like unless they make more dps/healer then dps/tank classes. Though tanking people by shooting them in face doesn't seem all that bad :getin:
Auuugh :(. Oh well, I can see them tanking using turrets and poo poo like that.

Any idea what weapons the medics are going to use? I like that spell slingers are pistols dps/heals but I have a feeling everyone and their grandmother will run that class at launch.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I'm probably going warrior explorer because having that much mobility and a blind seems really good for a melee class.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

There's some obvious synergy there, such as the Warrior and Soldier build, but the nice thing is that the paths grant abilities that can help round out your character. I'm still totally digging the idea of the Medic (Assuming that is one of the unannounced classes) and the settler.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those all look like fun and I'm going to have trouble deciding :( Probably going Settler for my main because building poo poo is awesome.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Zerchi posted:

From IRC:

[13:57] <Pryce> You guys want to put together a 40-man group?
[13:57] <Pryce> Do it, and I'll see about letting you help.

Someone feel free to get on organizing a test group!
Just start a google doc sheet and see what happens from there.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I don't understand this and the person who wrote it probably doesn't either.

So, you get bag slots 1-3, 6, 9, and 11 without doing these missions? Or is it saying you get a bag with 4 slots and eventually 12? Sounds kinda terrible for a reward unless I am missing something.

I hope to god I can just get bags without having to do missions or pay real money. I really loving hate how that is always one of the biggest cash grabs is buy god drat bags with real money. Neverwinter is the worst offender of this. 10 dollars for a loving bag.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Meowbot posted:

I don't understand this and the person who wrote it probably doesn't either.

So, you get bag slots 1-3, 6, 9, and 11 without doing these missions? Or is it saying you get a bag with 4 slots and eventually 12? Sounds kinda terrible for a reward unless I am missing something.
Has to read 'bag slot #4' instead of '4-slot bag' for it to not be a trash reward. But maybe it is trash.

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe it's the number of bagslots?

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012
https://twitter.com/team_wildstar/status/341615437823496192

Anyone organizing a 40-man goon test guild?
If so, count me in!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Some brave goon needs to step up and organize a 40 member test team.

Not it! I don't want to burn out from herding cats organizing raids before the game even comes out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grrarg posted:

Some brave goon needs to step up and organize a 40 member test team.

Not it! I don't want to burn out from herding cats organizing raids before the game even comes out.

10 bucks says we have raiding drama/burnout and a splinter before the game even comes out.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Interview with Polycount about stuff. 3 pages of Wildstar goodness:

http://www.polycount.com/2013/06/03/wildstar-behind-the-scenes/#start-reading

Yes, meatballs!
May 7, 2005

two smokes trevor, let's go

CLAM DOWN posted:

Every attack has a solid meaty sound and feel to it

That's the meatball sub in your lap.

CLAM DOWN posted:

weight behind everything
That's your voluminous rolls of fat.

I mostly played gw2 with audio off and combat still felt weighty and precise to me, except during lag spikes.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Streyr posted:

Apparently Engineers will tank by equipping a giant suit of robotic armor and getting into melee.

Truly the best class.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pawl posted:

Apparently Engineers will tank by equipping a giant suit of robotic armor and getting into melee.

Truly the best class.

I am in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FoolishLobster posted:

Interview with Polycount about stuff. 3 pages of Wildstar goodness:

http://www.polycount.com/2013/06/03/wildstar-behind-the-scenes/#start-reading

This is a great read. It's all about the art and style of the game basically, and I'm glad they put so much thought into it.

quote:

The animation style is really cool. Animation inspiration?

We reference a ton of traditional animation. Disney and Bluth. A lot of Pixar and DreamWorks stuff too. With games it definitely falls between Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. We want our characters to live and be expressive with huge personalities.

Most of our animators are traditionally trained. So you see a lot of pose to pose and squash and stretch in our work. I think studio wide we have a love for traditional animated features. We pull a lot of our philosophies from that medium that goes beyond animation and into prop, character and environment design.

:allears:

Also the lead art guy or whatever that used to work on the game originally is now at Disney

• Locked thread