Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plus the Brig is that guy in the endless Dalek serial before he's the Brig. And Martha is Cybervictim # 29.

Probably my favorite is that Julian Glover is in both the Crusades and City of Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
You need to get a completely non-Hollywood actor in there.

Elba would be fantastic, but he's finished filming 'Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom', written and directed by Oscar Bait (which will only raise his star and give him further film opportunities taking him away from Dr W. like the next entry).

Cumberbatch has already taken a sabbatical from Sherlock and will likely do the same again as he gets more film roles.

Freeman, the same.

Ejiofor has three films coming out in 2013, but nothing big. He'll likely want in on the next batch of Superhero films though and is more than capable of getting the roles.

Russell Tovey I can't take seriously. He looks like a child.

Helen Mirren?, she has the gravitas but I can't really imagine her running and getting boffed about realistically.

Stephen Mangan, seems perfect. Nothing much on.

Kris Marshall - maybe, but multiple films out or coming out. And:

1) "NICK!!!"
2) The moment he picks up any sort of telephone/communication device :fuckoff: BT

Laurie - balding with an increasing inability to hide it, there I said it. There will be a woman doctor before a bald(ing) one :)

Julian Rhind-Tutt - not much on but TV work, would be perfect.

(Well done for those who have spotted the Green Wing trend at this point at this point.)

Vinnie Jones - can he carry off an intelligent role?

Mackenzie Crook - the years have not been kind to him. Schrodinger’s baby/old man :smith:

Tamsin Greig - don't like her acting.

(Theme destroyed. ha)

Ruth Jones - would be my favourite for a lady doctor. I love her acting and because of her writing skills, she would bring her own twist on her stories.

Alex Kingston - :allears: but already been done on the series to an extent.

Any of the past companions - noooooo.

....Which leaves Jones, Mangan or Rhind-Tutt.

But we all know what's happening with TV in this day and age. In a few years Cheryl Cole is going to be cast as the Doctor. One Direction will feature in several episodes and Cowell will write it.

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 4, 2013

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should get Richard Madden as the next Doctor. His schedule has opened up a bit.

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.

The_Doctor posted:

Actually, go the whole hog. CCH Pounder for 12!

Oh my god, yes. I don't think she's doing anything else, now that Warehouse 13 has been cancelled. (Okay, technically given a five-episode final season, but come on.) Richard Ayoade could conceivably do it, too, right? He's just doing a voice on Strange Hill High. Or hell, give it to Nicki Minaj. Every so often she can switch to the Roman voice to symbolize the Valeyard. I'm only half joking.

I know it's just going to be some up-and-comer we've never heard of, but I can still dream. :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

We all know Paul McGann filmed a regeneration scene... But what if it was Matt Smith's regeneration?
:tinfoil:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

moths posted:

We all know Paul McGann filmed a regeneration scene... But what if it was Matt Smith's regeneration?

The 50th would be neat if Eleven buys the farm at the beginning and keeps de-regenerating into different incarnations over the course of the episode. Would explain why they all look older, plus give them all an equal amount of screentime.

Then at the end a new face shows up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

The 50th would be neat if Eleven buys the farm at the beginning and keeps de-regenerating into different incarnations over the course of the episode. Would explain why they all look older, plus give them all an equal amount of screentime.

Then at the end a new face shows up.

He's regenerating in the Christmas special though, and most of the other Doctors have already said that they are not in the 50th.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

I'm sorry I LIKED Moffat's cliffhanger, I thought it was brill. And if you read the Shroud of Sorrow novel, I think it will answer a lot of things for you, I know it did for me.
If your TV episode requires a companion novel to be understood, it's not a great sign.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SombreroAgnew posted:

If your TV episode requires a companion novel to be understood, it's not a great sign.

That's actually contrary to the BBC charter, isn't it? You shouldn't have to rely on supplementary material to understand a televised story.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I have it on good authority that Bobcat Goldthwait has been cast as 12. Keep your eyes peeled for news.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Rowan Atkinson and the BBC should just buy him a new car every episode he does.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

moths posted:

That costume he trots out at the cons looks nothing like the Fox movie costume, and we already know he wouldn't wear the wig. He could just go with the new look and everyone could pretend he didn't already play the Doctor once.

He could be the Grover Cleveland of Doctor Who. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pgroce posted:

That costume he trots out at the cons looks nothing like the Fox movie costume, and we already know he wouldn't wear the wig. He could just go with the new look and everyone could pretend he didn't already play the Doctor once.

He could be the Grover Cleveland of Doctor Who. :allears:

The Doctor spanked the Daleks on two non-consecutive occasions!!

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

moths posted:

I would be perfectly happy with this. He could give a completely different performance and at least we'd know in advance that he was going to be good.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
And then he can face off against the Great Intelligence in an extremely strange Withnail and I reunion.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Please keep this thread to legitimate plot spoilers. No more five-page derails over who is going to replace Matt Smith.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bicyclops posted:

He's regenerating in the Christmas special though, and most of the other Doctors have already said that they are not in the 50th.

I know, it's just an idea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is it still a (poorly-kept) spoiler that Smith is leaving the show? I thought that's why that discussion (along with other upcoming cast chat) was here instead of the main thread.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Everybody please go read this before any other discussion continues in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3552972

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
There's a sort of costume progression between Audio Mcgann, Hurt Doctor and Ecclestone that surely must be intentional? The fact that Ecclestone isn't coming back and that we apparently have a Mcgann Regeneration prequel webisode thing seems to support the 8.5 theory.

I'm ok with that, it seems thematically sound and there's already a precedent with the valeyard for .5 shitlord regenerations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the McGann regeneration scene confirmed? I had heard the rumors but I must've missed the confirmation.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I don't think so, hence "apparently".

If there's one thing the RTD era has taught me, it's that if we all wish for it hard enough magical-fairy-doctor-jesus will make it come true.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
What exactly is the problem people are having with John Hurt as the 9th Doctor? It seems pretty obvious that is the intention.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Getting "corrected" by a bigger sperg whenever you talk about revival Whos by number.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
The issue seems to be that some people don't want to accept that Paul McGann regenerated into John Hurt and John Hurt regenerated into Christopher Eccleston. It seems to me that the intention is that John Hurt was a full and proper Doctor. What's the problem with that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will believe there's a McGann regen scene when I loving see it. Bleeding Cool swore up and down that there was a CG'd Eric Roberts to Eddie Izzard Master regen scene kept under wraps back before the Mast actually came back and like always BC was full of poo poo.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The only real complaints I've seen are that it'd invalidate a big chunk of the EU stuff that people are fond of, and that there've been a lot of Eleven references since Smith started.

Also a ton of people seem to think he's replacing Matt Smith, if twitter's anything to go off of.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Twisted Perspective posted:

The issue seems to be that some people don't want to accept that Paul McGann regenerated into John Hurt and John Hurt regenerated into Chris.

Probably because that's a retarded retcon.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
^ Why?

Republican Vampire posted:

The only real complaints I've seen are that it'd invalidate a big chunk of the EU stuff that people are fond of, and that there've been a lot of Eleven references since Smith started.

Also a ton of people seem to think he's replacing Matt Smith, if twitter's anything to go off of.

You see, this is a proper answer. Thank you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still like the idea of "Matt Smith is playing the 11th Doctor but he's the 12's incarnation of that Time Lord" theory, harkening back to the whole "not in the Name of the Doctor" thing.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

jivjov posted:

I still like the idea of "Matt Smith is playing the 11th Doctor but he's the 12's incarnation of that Time Lord" theory, harkening back to the whole "not in the Name of the Doctor" thing.

Very much so. The Doctor doesn't include him as a proper Doctor because of the terrible things he did. That doesn't mean that he wasn't a full incarnation of the character, though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

I think part of it was also how we first heard of this. The original poo poo spoilers said Hurt was a "forgotten" incarnation, somehow slipped in between McGann and Eccleston. It comes across like a slap in the face that Nine, Ten, and Eleven would all forget something like a regeneration in one of the most pivotal and defining moments in the Doctor's life. But that's not how it came across on screen at all.

I'm now with those that love the idea that later Doctors think Hurt's incarnation is unworthy of the name. The best part is we're not even sure all the later Doctors agree on that; we've only heard it from Eleven. Maybe Ten disagrees and we'll find out in the special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Playing it off that way lets all the extra stories and 11 references stand that way, so it's the best of both worlds. Hurt can play the 9th Doctor, but whoops he does lovely things that end the Time War so lets not call him "Doctor" any more and then regenerates into Eccleston who is the 9th person to bear the name Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Republican Vampire posted:

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

00Kevin posted:

There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

I think the general assumption (suggested by RTD when he was asked about the Time War) is that the Doctor started the Time War back in "Genesis Of the Daleks" when he was charged by the Time Lords to prevent their creation.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I dislike the idea that the terrible thing the forgotten doctor did was end the time war. The Doctor has taken credit for that one, over and over again. It would just seem odd to me if he distanced himself from that incarnation so much, but yet freely volunteered the information about what he did over and over. Which would mean that what Hurt's Doctor did was far worse than ever genocide of his own people. :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You know what would be really cool? McGann's Doctor witnessing the start of the Time War atrocities and refusing to participate, so he either gives up completely and forces a regen or the Time Lords force one on him to get a better "soldier". Then you can rectify Smith's "not in the name of the Doctor" comment as him being angry the Hurt Doctor complied and gave the Time Lords the weapon they wanted.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gally posted:

I dislike the idea that the terrible thing the forgotten doctor did was end the time war. The Doctor has taken credit for that one, over and over again. It would just seem odd to me if he distanced himself from that incarnation so much, but yet freely volunteered the information about what he did over and over. Which would mean that what Hurt's Doctor did was far worse than ever genocide of his own people. :ohdear:
It's not like he brags about it. In fact it often takes a new companion an episode or two to get him to talk about it, and when he does it almost seems as if the memory is sort of traumatic to him, for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
People would poo poo their pants if it was a previous companion. So I say no on that end but it would be so amazing for Doctor Who to be a woman it just fits with the theme of the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

That was also supposed to have lead into a "Ninth Doctor: Year One" comic storyline which would have ended with 9 leaving his then-companion (Destrii) behind to go off and fight in the Time War.

Incidentally the actual Eighth Doctor ending comic which did get made ends with 8 losing his coat and deciding that he's going to replace it with a leather jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hollis posted:

People would poo poo their pants if it was a previous companion. So I say no on that end but it would be so amazing for Doctor Who to be a woman it just fits with the theme of the show.

Back a few years ago one of the more wtf rumors was that Billie Piper could be Eleven. I wouldn't mind a female Doctor though.

• Locked thread