Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Raygereio posted:

Check if there's a file called nwncdkey.ini in your base NWN2 instal folder that contains your keys. If there isn't, make one. It should look like this:

[CDKEY]
Key1=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Key2=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
key3=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

1 is your OC key, 2 is MotB, 3 is SoZ.

Hmm... looks like the keys for my MOTB and SoZ are blank. Where would I find those if I'm running the GOG versions of the expansions?

Edit: Nevermind, found them on GOG's website!

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I am down for MP OC NWN2!

Skype is fuzzmd.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A friend and I are trying to play NwN2 over Steam.

*We can't join each other's games via the Steam browser.

*We can't log into the central server, so we can't see the game listed in the IG browser.

*We can't direct connect.

Is this is some finicky 2000's IP forwarding poo poo or what?

e: For the life of me I just can't seem to figure out how you're supposed to play multi... is the authentication server always down now?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 27, 2013

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah, the master servers are down for good. You need to manually connect to the host's IP address and they need to make sure that the ports are open.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Download the Client Extension http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2other.Detail&id=231 Run the game off that executable.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In the same vein as the IWD remake, some very very insane people went and remade Baldur's Gate in it's entirety as an NWN2 mod:

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//

Edit: There's a trailer and Minsc looks great at the end of it.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2013

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

In the same vein as the IWD remake, some very very insane people went and remade Baldur's Gate in it's entirety as an NWN2 mod:

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//

Edit: There's a trailer and Minsc looks great at the end of it.

This would be pretty neat to do an MP game of, if it even works. Going to try and test it out this weekend. The IWD version as well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just a warning, it's loving HUGE. Unrared it's probably 6 or 7 GB.

EDIT: I underestimated, the last two rars, which are the module rars, are about ~400 MB each rared and about 1.5-2 GB each unrared.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 5, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Oh my God I never played BG1 past the first town or so because I don't like AD&D and it was always just so harrrd. This is going to consume my gameplay time for awhile.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

God drat. I've never played Baldur's Gate 2, but I've been eager to experience it.
I am a terribly shallow person, though, and want to make my own dude in NWN2.

Now I can have both! :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So this is my first time playing NWN2, and I was thinking of playing a warlock. Is it... as bad as I've seen people say? Like, unplayably bad? I've played almost exclusively as a Wizard/Sorcerer in this sort of games, and thought a different type of caster (Warlock) may be a nice change of pace. But if it's horribly underpowered and painful to play, then I might as well spare myself...

edit: Oh and what would be a good difficulty for a first-timer? I'm fine with Core Rules on BG games, if that helps. Though I know gently caress-all about D&D 3.5 ed rules, so. :v:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Warlock is really powerful in my experience but there are definitely stretches of levels where it feels like poo poo. When I last played a Warlock I picked up that Hellfire prestige and that helped quite a bit. But it's also pretty tedious to play because you have to be constantly spamming bolts for much of the game.

Difficulty - hardcore if you will control your spellcasters manually. If you don't then put it on one of the non-friendly fire settings. Alternatively you can just leave it on hardcore and enjoy the fitting nature of the one academy chick throwing fireballs at your party.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Played the BG mod for an hour this morning. Forgot to save often, died right after I got the two new companions before even making it to the Friendly Arms inn. Lost a half hour of work.

So basically it really is just like BG1!

It does look gorgeous though. Biggest disappointment so far though is that when you steal the nearby NPCs SAY they're calling the guards but no guards show up, which will make stealing without picking up hide/move silently a breeze.

I really hope they're working on BG2 next.

I added back in all the aesthetic mods, character creation mods, TonyK's AI and it's all running fine.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Since the other thread died for the BG remake, what classes are really strong in the low levels using NWN2's ruleset? If they stayed true to the original I'm guessing your character won't get past level 7.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

blizzardvizard posted:

So this is my first time playing NWN2, and I was thinking of playing a warlock. Is it... as bad as I've seen people say? Like, unplayably bad? I've played almost exclusively as a Wizard/Sorcerer in this sort of games, and thought a different type of caster (Warlock) may be a nice change of pace. But if it's horribly underpowered and painful to play, then I might as well spare myself...

edit: Oh and what would be a good difficulty for a first-timer? I'm fine with Core Rules on BG games, if that helps. Though I know gently caress-all about D&D 3.5 ed rules, so. :v:

It is not as bad as people say. Warlocks are kind of junky (though by no means unplayable) at levels 1-5, because they basically have the damage output of a fighter using a short bow, without the survivability of said fighter. By level 10 or so, a Warlock is holding his own in damage output against single targets against just about anybody, and owning bones in AE situations as well. And at level 21 you become a loving demigod.

Most of the complaints about warlocks fall into two categories:

1) People in this thread like to complain that they are boring because you cast Eldritch Blast every round, and generally have a small spell selection. This is, quite frankly, bullshit. First of all, I am not sure why these people would complain about Warlocks and not, say, playing a melee character whom you literally set and forget on a target. Beyond that however, you can actually accomplish quite a bit of variety with a few blast shapes and essences that can change up how you play for a lot of fun if you want. Between Doom, Chain, and Spear, you have a wide AoE, a chain attack that hits multiple single targets, and the single longest ranged offensive ability in the game. And then you have a variety of Essences that can apply damage debuffs, slowing effects, stuns, and more - yes, against enemies with spell resistance at high levels you just use Vitriolic Blast because it ignores that, but that really isn't anywhere close to all foes, and, (for example), kiting mobs with Eldritch Spear/Chain and Beshadowed Blast (notably good because it is a Blind, on a Fort save, and not Mind Affecting; works on undead, etc.) is a lot of fun.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how playing a Sorcerer and spamming a Missile Storm spell every round and having to watch the clock on your buffs (as opposed to just hitting them when you rest and being good for basically forever) is more interesting.

2) The second complaint comes from the fact that a lot of people have no clue how to play Warlocks, and in particular how to build them. It's really easy for a Warlock to feel really weak without, for example, a decent Dex, and feats like Eldritch Master at high levels, or Imp. Critical: Ranged Touch Attack in the mid game. Blind Fight is also near-essential and often overlooked.

First of all, without Kaedrin's Pack, don't bother multiclassing, other than Hellfire Warlock, and maybe a single level dip (to pick up something like HiPS, Divine Shield, or Rogue skills). As a Warlock, your bread and butter is much more thoroughly tied into your number of Warlock levels than any other class, and Warlocks get much less out of multiclassing than anybody else. Secondly, stacking Charisma is generally not a great idea. You want 'enough' Charisma - 14 is generally fine - and then to pump everything else into Constitution and Dexterity. Especially Dexterity, which increases the AB of your ranged touch attack, which is what all of your damage output is based on.

I Highly, highly highly reccomend reading Crithead's Warlock Guides over at NWN2 DB. Here's his guide to a standard Eldritch Blast-centric Warlock. For a first time play through the OC, you can't go too far wrong with the specific build he proposes either. (Though I'd drop Spot and Listen to put more points in Disable Device and to grab a conversation skill.)

(For further reading, Here's his other guide, for playing a Charisma-based 'lock, and grabbing Divine Shield for insane AC and Saving Throw shenanigans.)

As a final Warlock build note: If you don't have Kaedrin's, there are two mechanical quirks that will go a long way to happy warlocking: 1) Combat Expertise/Improved Combat Expertise mode does not reduce your ranged touch attack bonus. That means the feats are worth 6 free AC, which is awesome. 2) If you take the Hellfire Warlock class and then have Death Ward cast on yourself (or equip an item that grants Immunity to Ability Drain, like an easily crafted Amulet of Greater Health), you can use the Hellfire abilities without taking any constitution damage. Which basically means that in return for wasting some skill points on Lore and Intimidate, you get +6D6 to Eldritch Blast damage, and a pretty nice damage shield if anything tries to hit you to boot. Also, awesome glowing eyes.

As for a difficulty: I suggest just starting on D&D Hardcore, and turning it down if you find Friendly Fire to be annoying or holding you back. You probably won't.

Lakbay posted:

Since the other thread died for the BG remake, what classes are really strong in the low levels using NWN2's ruleset? If they stayed true to the original I'm guessing your character won't get past level 7.

Dev has said you can expect on getting to around 10.

Given that, standard low level D&D advice applies: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, are all very strong. Rogue, Cleric, and Bard will come into their own in time to be useful. Warlock, Sorcerer, and Wizard are only going to just start hitting the accelerator when you cap out.

You can do fun things with some Prestige classes, but you'll want to plan those out pretty tightly to do well with them.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 7, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Sorry to double post, but one other good tip:

If you go to the NWN2DB and search for builds with a max level of 10, and then sort by votes, you'll get a lot of quality builds. Capping at 10 is remarkably good at filtering out a lot of the crap level 30 builds that got votes for no good reason.

The guys in the forum over there did a Quick Start Challenge about a year ago to create builds that pack a lot of power in by level 6, and most of them can be easily expanded out to 10 levels, and there are also some great level 10 builds. There are also some nice new ones showing up on the DB inspired by BGR. This is a pretty nifty SwashBard that grabs Leadership, for example.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Great post CaptainPsyko, I linked it in the Walkthrough under Character Creation. :)

Still trying to play through the first few areas of the BG1 mod. So much one-shot death early on and reloading. I ended up cheating myself in a few pieces of +2 equipment just to try to stay alive longer. Still die sometimes. The automatic game over if the main character dies mechanic is really annoying.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks a lot! Half of the post is still indecipherable jargon for me right now, but I'm sure I'll get them as I play. :shobon:

Just a few more things, since you mentioned 'wasting skill points in Intimidate', does that mean I should use Bluff as my conversation skill instead? (Or Diplomacy, in which case it seems I need to take that Able Learner feat?) Also, are those Spell Penetration/Combat Casting feats worth taking? Some guides I saw say they're essential, but Crithead's guides don't have them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

blizzardvizard posted:

Thanks a lot! Half of the post is still indecipherable jargon for me right now, but I'm sure I'll get them as I play. :shobon:

Just a few more things, since you mentioned 'wasting skill points in Intimidate', does that mean I should use Bluff as my conversation skill instead? (Or Diplomacy, in which case it seems I need to take that Able Learner feat?) Also, are those Spell Penetration/Combat Casting feats worth taking? Some guides I saw say they're essential, but Crithead's guides don't have them.

A Short Guide to Conversation Skills:

Diplomacy: Most widely useful. Tends to result in Lawful or Good alignment shifts.
Bluff: Second most widely used. Tends to result in Chaotic alignment shifts. Best for getting lots of money. Also often hilarious.
Intimidate: Least useful, though still used. Tends to result in Evil alignment shifts. Good for getting into fights.

Pick the one that reflects the alignment you're going to be playing. In general, on my Warlocks, I like to pump Bluff and put spare/unneeded points into Intimidate from time to time. Between naturally decent Charisma, a Nymph Cloak, the Beguiling Influence invocation (+4 to all three Convo skills, awesome for the OC), and the huge bonuses you can get for having Grobnar in the party using Inspire Skill and casting Greater Heroism on you, you'll be able to pass most talk checks you come across.

Really, it's Lore that's the wasted skill. gently caress Lore.

Spell Penetration is really bad on Warlocks because you only get half the benefit (I did mention Warlocks have lots of dumb bugs, right?), and because once you get Vitriolic Blast, you can just use that to overcome spell resistance and you never need to worry about penetration checks again.

Combat Casting is a skill that nobody should ever take unless it's required to qualify for something. It provides a +3 to Concentration checks when in defensive casting mode. Skill Focus: Concentration provides a +4 to concentration checks, all the time, including when you use Combat Expertise mode instead of Combat Casting Mode because after a certain point, it doesn't matter if you provoke Attacks of Opportunity, they're incapable of interrupting your spell, so you're better off trying not to get hit. (Don't bother with Skill Focus: Concentration either, just maxing Conc every level is enough. I merely point it out to make clear how bad Combat Casting is. You can read more about that here: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Defensive_casting)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Spell Penetration is really bad on Warlocks because you only get half the benefit (I did mention Warlocks have lots of dumb bugs, right?), and because once you get Vitriolic Blast, you can just use that to overcome spell resistance and you never need to worry about penetration checks again.

I got a fix for that, just FYI. (Apparently it also makes the attack roll penalties from Combat Expertise apply to Warlock's attacks, but since it fixes a plethora of other things it seems worth it) That said it does seem a good idea to just use Vitriolic Blast against things with spell resistance so I won't have to waste feats. Thanks again!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, KPack fixes a lot of the fun warlock bugs sadly. (It also fixes the Death Ward/Hellfire bug, which is a shame.)

Keep in kind however, that Touch attacks ignore AC from Armor and Shields, so at high levels, the penalty from Combat Expertise is still probably worth it for the AC. 6 AC from ICE is a lot.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So I saw that warlocks get that Imbue Item feat, and thought of taking Craft Magic Arms and Armor/Wondrous Items for my main character. Is that a good idea? I just got to Neverwinter, so don't refer to anyone specific, but will I eventually get party members whose skills, feats, etc. make them suitable as crafting characters, even in the expansion (since I know you get new party members there)?

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 8, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Crafting feats for the PC generally aren't needed.

Give both feats to Sand and Elanee and between them, you can craft 99% of things in the game. The only things you can't craft will be +Acid damage on weapons and a Robe of the Archmagi. Should you really want either of those, just give the respective feats (Arms/Armor for acid damage, wondrous items for the robes), to either Qara or Zjhave. (And make sure Qara knows the appropriate spells, Mage Armor and Melf's Acid Arrow. Zjhave will have them.)

But really, Sand and Elanee make the best crafters. Sand because he has more feats available to him than there are useful feats, and because as a Wizard, you can get all the spells you need for the most part for him, and Elanee because she's just so generally useless and annoying that giving her Crafting Feats is a good way to keep her sitting in the Inn/Keep and not dragging your party down while still not being a total waste of space.

(As for crafting skills, Grobnar can basically handle them solo with buffs.)

Edit: In the expansion, Safiya can do everything and there is no need to bring along anyone else. The really good enchants come from a special feat that you're granted for free thanks to a plot macguffin.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 8, 2013

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Is the NWN2 OC meant to suddenly get far harder when you get to Neverwinter? When I hit the thieves' quest to guard the smugglers I suddenly found that all the enemies killed my whole party really quickly, even if I used console commands to bring in everyone, and the fight with the mass of wizard students outside the Flagon is a massive mess of AoE spells that rip through me and my companions. Could I have missed something I should have done to get more levels (I know I missed the cave early on)? Am I supposed to somehow have the money to be able to buy better gear? I'm playing on Easy, and maybe I'm just absolutely horrible at the game, but it seems strange that it suddenly went from "this is pretty easy" to "I need the godmode console command to continue".

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Oh boy Nverwinter Nights. I think NWN1, along with Morrowind, is one of the games I played the most. Reading this really makes me want to give NWN2 another try. For some reason I just couldn't really get into it, and when one of the thugs in the OC had the Aasimar voice, the one you always get when you forget to set a voice in the toolset, I gave up playing it. Not sure why that little thing pushed me over the edge.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Crafting feats for the PC generally aren't needed.

Give both feats to Sand and Elanee and between them, you can craft 99% of things in the game. The only things you can't craft will be +Acid damage on weapons and a Robe of the Archmagi. Should you really want either of those, just give the respective feats (Arms/Armor for acid damage, wondrous items for the robes), to either Qara or Zjhave. (And make sure Qara knows the appropriate spells, Mage Armor and Melf's Acid Arrow. Zjhave will have them.)

But really, Sand and Elanee make the best crafters. Sand because he has more feats available to him than there are useful feats, and because as a Wizard, you can get all the spells you need for the most part for him, and Elanee because she's just so generally useless and annoying that giving her Crafting Feats is a good way to keep her sitting in the Inn/Keep and not dragging your party down while still not being a total waste of space.

(As for crafting skills, Grobnar can basically handle them solo with buffs.)

Edit: In the expansion, Safiya can do everything and there is no need to bring along anyone else. The really good enchants come from a special feat that you're granted for free thanks to a plot macguffin.

Cool, thanks!

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Ethereal Duck posted:

Oh boy Nverwinter Nights. I think NWN1, along with Morrowind, is one of the games I played the most. Reading this really makes me want to give NWN2 another try. For some reason I just couldn't really get into it, and when one of the thugs in the OC had the Aasimar voice, the one you always get when you forget to set a voice in the toolset, I gave up playing it. Not sure why that little thing pushed me over the edge.

I love that. Thugs running around shouting YOUR TAINT SHALL BE CLEANSED is just hilarious.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Is the NWN2 OC meant to suddenly get far harder when you get to Neverwinter? When I hit the thieves' quest to guard the smugglers I suddenly found that all the enemies killed my whole party really quickly, even if I used console commands to bring in everyone, and the fight with the mass of wizard students outside the Flagon is a massive mess of AoE spells that rip through me and my companions. Could I have missed something I should have done to get more levels (I know I missed the cave early on)? Am I supposed to somehow have the money to be able to buy better gear? I'm playing on Easy, and maybe I'm just absolutely horrible at the game, but it seems strange that it suddenly went from "this is pretty easy" to "I need the godmode console command to continue".

My best advice is to use the pause bar liberally and make sure everyone is always doing what you want them to do. Keep Elanee around and make sure she has plenty of healing spells in her spellbook. Check the vendors and buy what you can. If you're playing on easy, make sure Qara and Elanee both also have some good AE spells learned/memorized.

Also, buffs help a lot. If you have the mod pack installed, learn how to use the Rod of Preparation for easy buffing. :)

Worst case scenario, cheat yourself in some money and experience for some better equipment and go up a level or two. As long as you don't get anything you couldn't naturally have if you had the money, (ie cheating in +5 weapons in act 1) then you're not going to imbalance yourself too badly.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

The Baldur's Gate mod says not to put anything in your override, and also it uses quite a few of the head/hair modifications innately. I've added these things back in and haven't had any issues:

* Maybe's Hairs
* The entire Aesthetics mod compolition
* Charlie's appearance changer and Charlie's UI
* Rod of Preperation
* TonyK's AI
* United Colors

It also looks like it might have Kaedrin's in it naturally.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
BG:R does include Kaedrins (and a bunch of other mods listed in the readme) but it's not the latest version, so no Hexblades (for example).

But whatever, Hexblades are dumb.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
The entire dungeons and dragons pack is on sale at GOG for 80% off at $21.10. That's 10 games total/the DLC. NWN2 is also on sale for $9.99.

http://www.gog.com/promo/definitive_dungeons_and_dragons

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_2_complete

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions for someone who hasn't played NWN1 in forever?

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 29, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Skip it and play the expansions and/or NWN2.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I definitely remember the NWN2 OC being really poo poo and I never liked MotB as much as everyone else. I'm playing NWN1 to get to the expansions but I figure I don't have to skip the OC to eventually get to and enjoy the expansions.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

OSheaman posted:

I definitely remember the NWN2 OC being really poo poo and I never liked MotB as much as everyone else. I'm playing NWN1 to get to the expansions but I figure I don't have to skip the OC to eventually get to and enjoy the expansions.

The NWN expansions don't follow on from the OC. SoU is designed for a new character, and HotU imports from SoU. The OC stands alone and is terrible and you should skip it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I had infinitely more fun playing the NWN1 OC than the NWN2 OC.

Just sayin'.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

How playable is this game vanilla? The recommended mod list is fairly expansive, but I like to play through games like the developer intended, at least for the first playthrough.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

It's playable just fine vanilla. The mods are just flavoring, making annoying things way less annoying, and giving more choices for things.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lolasaurusrex posted:

How playable is this game vanilla? The recommended mod list is fairly expansive, but I like to play through games like the developer intended, at least for the first playthrough.

The mods are not in any way required. They mainly add replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
And for what it's worth the UI overhaul mods can go in whenever you want, which may be the one and only thing you want after playing a little bit of the vanilla game. Even the very early primitive UI mods were better than the default UI.

• Locked thread