Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Phobophilia posted:

Speaking of cash, wouldn't the Evangelion series have done worse if there wasn't a constant buzz and gnashing of teeth and semi-canon detail-filling from other writers due to the 25/26 and the EoE endings?

People still talk about it now, almost two decades after it's come out. An entire generation has grown up in its shadow.

Nah, because that's not the reason Eva is Gundam's edgy younger brother in the Japanese hierarchy of sci-fi works. It's there because the characters became archetypical and it was one of those mass-market shows that was unabashedly "adult" instead of "adult" in a backhanded/miserable way (see: Tomino, Yoshiyuki) or in a puerile way (see: 80's OVA scene, entirety of). Utena is like this too, but more fabulous and equal parts more restrained and more madcap loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Isn't moe, still not sure what that is entirely, influenced by Rei's character/design?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Terminal Entropy posted:

Isn't moe, still not sure what that is entirely,

The moe that can be squeed is not the true moe.

Rei didn't originate the submissive stoic wounded carebait archetype, but she made sure a shitload of them that followed had blue hair and pale skin.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Ak Gara posted:

Tiffany Grant :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvIn0mdXtY

[edit] IT JUST KEEPS GOING

So usually when I find out a VA has a strong connection to the character they voice I find it funny and endearing, but this poo poo is straight up terrifying. I don't have any problems with Asuka as a character or Tiffany Grant's performance, but this is the weirdest mix of nerdy hording and narcissism.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I went to a panel with Tiffany Grant at Acen one year. She kind of reminded me of a chipmunk - small, hyperactive, and constantly chittering. And goddamn, was she excited to be voicing Asuka again.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Tiffany Grant is a few points short of a working sync ratio, yeah. For all intents and purposes, in her world she is Asuka.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Giggily posted:

I must've missed that then. :v:

Learning that Tiffany Grant is loving insane more or less destroyed my ability to enjoy the english dub.

Aren't all the voice actors the same as from the TV show? That was dubbed back in the era when it was considered acceptable to pay homeless people in food to dub over anime, I believe.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Except for Misato, Asuka, and Shinji, most of the VA's are from Funi's crop. Even Rei.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

cafel posted:

So usually when I find out a VA has a strong connection to the character they voice I find it funny and endearing, but this poo poo is straight up terrifying. I don't have any problems with Asuka as a character or Tiffany Grant's performance, but this is the weirdest mix of nerdy hording and narcissism.

I kinda felt this way when I watched one of the special features of Deadman Wonderland and saw the voice actor for uh, what's his name. Ganta. He's super weird as gently caress and I no longer want to know what voice actors look or act like ever again.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Gaseous Snake posted:

I kinda felt this way when I watched one of the special features of Deadman Wonderland and saw the voice actor for uh, what's his name. Ganta. He's super weird as gently caress and I no longer want to know what voice actors look or act like ever again.

Never look up what a VA looks like in real life. They never fit, ever.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Never look up what a VA looks like in real life. They never fit, ever.

Troy Baker looks exactly like what Id think hed look like, but I think hes the only one.

e: This was always my favorite Tiffany Grant picture, its on her website.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Personally I think dubbers need to be personally invested in the character they're voicing. Nothing sucks like a person that comes across like they're reading the words, not saying the words. Really takes me out of action scenes.

I think she did a bang up job as being Asuka's voiceover.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Troy Baker looks exactly like what Id think hed look like, but I think hes the only one.

e: This was always my favorite Tiffany Grant picture, its on her website.

I'm surprised her eye hasn't been photoshopped to match the drawing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ak Gara posted:

Personally I think dubbers need to be personally invested in the character they're voicing. Nothing sucks like a person that comes across like they're reading the words, not saying the words. Really takes me out of action scenes.

I think she did a bang up job as being Asuka's voiceover.

If the dubbing process of an anime allowed time to do that with the pay not out of a garbage dump, that would be more common. But it's really just a hellhole of the lowest barrel for voice-acting.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Gaseous Snake posted:

I'm surprised her eye hasn't been photoshopped to match the drawing.

Going by that video, I'm surprised she didn't have her eyes altered surgically.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I CAN FEEL IT IN MY BONES, ENOUGH TO MAKE MY SPIRIT GLOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMcBwbZbKM

ACanofPepsi posted:

EDIT: loving hate the English audio dubs of Eva. The voice actors are just annoying, regardless of what it is. I hate coming off as a purist because I used to hate subs, but hearing the Japanese audio and English subtitles is just a nicer experience. Even if you get an .MKV file with english/japenese audio AND english subtitles, you can see what the english voice actors are saying is slightly different than the subtitles. I just feel like I'm getting the 'full' experience this way. It's also funny to hear people speaking this crazy moon language with a single English word thrown in now and then. Also I know what the word "Baka" means now.

Of course with subtitles only, you can't leave it on as background noise when you're doing chores or something because if you aren't there to constantly read rhe screen you'll be lost.
You're missing that the spanish dub is the best dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3MFkIakwWI

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I first saw an episode and it was dubbed. When I went back to watch the entire series I watched it subbed. To start with I hated Shinji's obviously female voice (I know, I know) and I couldn't quite get into it... then it happened... Shinji squealed in horror. Holy poo poo that freaked me out every single time. Amazing. I was then sold on the sub. I don't know what VO work Megumi Ogata gets, but I bet they make her yell in horror a lot.

Asuka's terrible German accent on the sub is hilarious. Is that intentional? I don't really know how "German" Asuka is supposed to be.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wank posted:

I first saw an episode and it was dubbed. When I went back to watch the entire series I watched it subbed. To start with I hated Shinji's obviously female voice (I know, I know) and I couldn't quite get into it... then it happened... Shinji squealed in horror. Holy poo poo that freaked me out every single time. Amazing. I was then sold on the sub. I don't know what VO work Megumi Ogata gets, but I bet they make her yell in horror a lot.

Asuka's terrible German accent on the sub is hilarious. Is that intentional? I don't really know how "German" Asuka is supposed to be.

The English spoken by two of the characters Rebuild 2 is pretty ridiculous: Kaji sounds like a deaf French speaker trying to sound American and Mari sounds like some mix of Germanic and Nordic, even though she is suppose to be British.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, Spanish dub is the official canon now. Please update OP.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The Spanish dub ending is the best, PenPen and Narrator are the best voices.

Note the endless stream of "w" racing across the screen.

Series ending spoilers if there's anyone who hasn't watched it yet (I know there was at least one person in the process).

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Eva is SCIENCE.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130604153520.htm

"Life-Producing Phosphorus Carried to Earth by Meteorites"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130404122234.htm

"Origin of Life: Power Behind Primordial Soup Discovered"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I just finished the entire series (except for the rebuild movies) and goddamn as a story about depression and overcoming it, it's pretty good I feel. I don't know what to think of EoE to be honest but I guess I enjoyed it if I think it runs parallel with the tv shows ending. Anyways I haven't really read up much about the rebuild movies but how good are they?

E: I just finished EoE to be precise. But I'm leaning on I liked it a lot cuz it was hosed up and I like when poo poo gets hosed up.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 5, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Terminal Entropy posted:

The English spoken by two of the characters Rebuild 2 is pretty ridiculous: Kaji sounds like a deaf French speaker trying to sound American and Mari sounds like some mix of Germanic and Nordic, even though she is suppose to be British.

I'll give Mari's VA credit, because at least she spoke understandable English. Kaji's VA, not so much. It was on the level of 'Tiger and Bunny' reading the next episode title without the whole 'it's a joke' factor.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
It's kind of pedantic, but it particularly bothers me that Asuka's German is so bad. Her foreign-ness is a big part of her character, especially in a culture that's as homogenous as Japan's. When she swears in German, or calls Shinji a dumkopf, that's an important signal that she's deliberately isolating herself, if only momentarily, from her peers, so the accent should be perfect!

She should really have had a German accent when she spoke Japanese (or English in the dub), to emphasise her otherness. I prefer the idea that she just learnt Japanese because she has an IQ of a trillion, rather than speaking it natively.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 5, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PonchAxis posted:

So I just finished the entire series (except for the rebuild movies) and goddamn as a story about depression and overcoming it, it's pretty good I feel. I don't know what to think of EoE to be honest but I guess I enjoyed it if I think it runs parallel with the tv shows ending. Anyways I haven't really read up much about the rebuild movies but how good are they?

E: I just finished EoE to be precise. But I'm leaning on I liked it a lot cuz it was hosed up and I like when poo poo gets hosed up.

Rebuild is great. It's a wonderful mix of new and re-animated action scenes and meta-commentary on the series itself. You don't need to have a super in-depth knowledge of the franchise to appreciate it (well, for the first two movies, at least) but it rewards you if you do. There's something for everyone, including a new ending whenever the fourth movie comes out.

(Probably in like three years. :negative: )

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PonchAxis posted:

Rebuilds are good. They're especially good if you've digested the series and EoE, so that it can serve as both a contrast and a complement to it. I feel like the third one is kind of a poorly made movie all things considered, but it's still pretty entertaining and still has me excited for the fourth film. Hopefully that come out before 2015.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Popcorn posted:

It's kind of pedantic, but it particularly bothers me that Asuka's German is so bad. Her foreign-ness is a big part of her character, especially in a culture that's as homogenous as Japan's. When she swears in German, or calls Shinji a dumkopf, that's an important signal that she's deliberately isolating herself, if only momentarily, from her peers, so the accent should be perfect!

She should really have had a German accent when she spoke Japanese (or English in the dub), to emphasise her otherness. I prefer the idea that she just learnt Japanese because she has an IQ of a trillion, rather than speaking it natively.
Neat idea, but what VA are you going to get to do it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

Well wasn't her mom Japanese. It's totally not ridiculous to assume that they spoke Japanese in the Langley-Soryhu household, and so Asuka is probably bilingual.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not as hot on Rebuild as these guys, but it's certainly interesting, especially 3 in my opinion because it diverges the most from the original series. And the production values are much better (there's a representative still in the OP, probably comparison videos on YouTube.)

Popcorn posted:

I think the dub has added German lines for Asuka because Tiffany Grant speaks good German.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Paracelsus posted:

Neat idea, but what VA are you going to get to do it?

Not the point!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well wasn't her mom Japanese. It's totally not ridiculous to assume that they spoke Japanese in the Langley-Soryhu household, and so Asuka is probably bilingual.

Yeah but this isn't the point either. It's not like story doesn't make sense as it stands (at least not in this respect!). I'm saying I wish her non-Japanese side had been emphasised more - possibly to the extent of making Japanese her second language, like I said.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ak Gara posted:

Tiffany Grant :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvIn0mdXtY

[edit] IT JUST KEEPS GOING

Ahahahaha hooooooly poo poo. I especially love the soft jazz version of Fly Me to the Moon in the background. The whole thing is like a gigantic infomercial on Asuka merch. There is a level of obsession in here that is beyond reason, only made slightly more understandable by the fact that she's the VA and I imagine she's not hurting for money.

Really though, I think she improved her voice as "Asuka" tremendously in 2.22. It makes me curious how she'll sound in 3.33.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah Asuka is a fluent Japanese speaker but she can't read it. Makes sense to assume she picked it up by speaking with her mom.

House Louse posted:

I'm not as hot on Rebuild as these guys, but it's certainly interesting, especially 3 in my opinion because it diverges the most from the original series. And the production values are much better (there's a representative still in the OP, probably comparison videos on YouTube.)

I think the dub has added German lines for Asuka because Tiffany Grant speaks good German.

Yeah. The scene where asuka gets the call from home is all in totally real german. Grants accent is supposedly poo poo, though. :v:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Ahahahaha hooooooly poo poo. I especially love the soft jazz version of Fly Me to the Moon in the background. The whole thing is like a gigantic infomercial on Asuka merch. There is a level of obsession in here that is beyond reason, only made slightly more understandable by the fact that she's the VA and I imagine she's not hurting for money.

Really though, I think she improved her voice as "Asuka" tremendously in 2.22. It makes me curious how she'll sound in 3.33.

She can kind of get a pass as it seems like method acting mixed with being handed free merchandise from work and from fans and just keeping that stuff for the sake of a collection and appreciation.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Ah, not hurting for money? I think you're a little optimistic about how much VA's are paid, even in a successful series. My friend saw Steven Blum at a con selling autographs for twenty bucks. If you're going to the trouble of doing a con for that kind of financial motive, I'd hesitate to say that you're not hurting for money. You still have to work at it to make a living. Except if you're on the Simpsons. Those guys make bank.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

cafel posted:

Ah, not hurting for money? I think you're a little optimistic about how much VA's are paid, even in a successful series. My friend saw Steven Blum at a con selling autographs for twenty bucks. If you're going to the trouble of doing a con for that kind of financial motive, I'd hesitate to say that you're not hurting for money. You still have to work at it to make a living. Except if you're on the Simpsons. Those guys make bank.

Yeah, anime VAs especially get paid poo poo. There's a reason why a lot of the big names like Stephanie Sheh and the like pull double-duty as editors and directors, and it isn't out of charity.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

cafel posted:

Oh, yeah, you're definitely right. I just thought that since she was married to ADV's co-founder, that would amount to something... but then, ADV's been dead for years now, so that argument doesn't really hold up.

Regardless, yeah, being a VA is a job you really have to love doing, because it's really not financially beneficial.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Grimace posted:

Oh, yeah, you're definitely right. I just thought that since she was married to ADV's co-founder, that would amount to something... but then, ADV's been dead for years now, so that argument doesn't really hold up.

Regardless, yeah, being a VA is a job you really have to love doing, because it's really not financially beneficial.

Anime voicework alone literally does not pay well enough to live off anymore. There are multiple VAs on record openly stating this, and the general theme to be picked up is that high licensing fees + declining sales = not enough bacon for the talent anymore.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
All I can say to the nearly embarrassing awkwardness I feel just being in the same room as an english dub of a show so utterly inextricable from a culture and language so profoundly different from ours is:

POR FAVOR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Guys,
what's with the giant red maw in Eva 3.0? Seriously its boggling my mind, I can't figure out what it is.

Was it GNR's skull what was buried underground?

I literally have no other clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zeruel posted:

Guys,
what's with the giant red maw in Eva 3.0? Seriously its boggling my mind, I can't figure out what it is.

Was it GNR's skull what was buried underground?

I literally have no other clue.

Can't be that. And that's because we see the GNR head in NERV HQ.