Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Egg curry. Tasted even better the second day as leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Marinated pork chop with some sundried tomato and bacon pasta.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I too had a pork chop today! Mine was simply breaded with a mixture of flour, seasoned salt, and pepper, then cooked in a cast iron with about 1/4" oil. After they were pretty thoroughly cooked, I wasn't too thrilled with the looks (I've done better in the past) so I drained the oil and fried them for a bit to crisp up a little. Chops turned out fine, juicy without being too oily.

I'm most proud of the veg; I used 4 green onions, a big handful of plain white mushrooms, and a large-ish baby bok choy. Stir fried them (onions, then mushrooms, then bok choy) and at the end added the sauce. The sauce was totally improvised but came out well; about 1 tbsp granulated sugar, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, a bit of chinese 5 spices, a splash of shaoxing wine, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken.

I'm happy with how it turned out, although I think next time I'd rather just dry-fry the chops (like my mom always did). The sweet vegetable sauce was great with the pork.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 4, 2013

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That looks pretty tasty; I was just lazy as hell and oven baked them after marinating them for a while in a lemon pepper sauce. They were very juicy, which was a nice surprise. I was expecting my laziness to be punished with dry pork :).

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Fillipino style adobo

IMG_6295 by stoevpan, on Flickr

IMG_5967 by stoevpan, on Flickr

"Rhymes with Fanda Express" Orange Chicken Wings

DSC02326 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Cake for one of my crackhead friends

IMG_5944 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Beef Stroganoff with buttered spätzle

IMG_5908 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Beef flavored ramen with two poached eggs

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That's a good looking stroganoff. Also, the crackcake makes me think of Alive haha

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I made food like a damned grown-up for what seems like the first time in forever and wanted to share. It's nothing special and I'm no chef, but I think it was alright:

taken with my Nexus 4, not the highest image quality

Pacific salmon filet with carrot chips, broccoli, cauliflower, white mushrooms, sugar snap and snow peas.

I think I need to get some lemon juice next time, but in all it was not something awful.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Peven Stan posted:

Fillipino style adobo

Looks rad, can I get a rundown?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

zxqv8 posted:

I made food like a damned grown-up for what seems like the first time in forever and wanted to share. It's nothing special and I'm no chef, but I think it was alright:

taken with my Nexus 4, not the highest image quality

Pacific salmon filet with carrot chips, broccoli, cauliflower, white mushrooms, sugar snap and snow peas.

I think I need to get some lemon juice next time, but in all it was not something awful.

Are the colors off in the image or is that salmon not pink?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InEscape posted:

Are the colors off in the image or is that salmon not pink?

I figured it was just some sort of breading.

I'm more wondering about the liquid covering *everything* including a thick layer on the bottom of the plate. That's... that's not olive oil, right?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The color balance is poo poo because I don't know how to fix it.

And yes, there's olive oil...did I do bad? :ohdear:

It tasted fine.

e: disclaimer: I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

zxqv8 posted:

It tasted fine.

Well! For me that would be a lot of oil. Like, a lot a lot. How did you cook them? If it was like a sautee type situation you'd probably be better off with a little more heat and a little less oil and also scooping out the vegetables rather than pouring them (and the subsequent oil) onto the plate.

I made forums chao ga, because I always see it on the menu at vietnamese places but never get it because if I'm at a vietnamese place I have specific needs

I threw some leftover lemongrass into the stock. Next time I won't use sriracha, I'll get (or make) some different chili sauce. All in all it was super good and I will make it again, but better.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's probably just residual liquid leftover from however he cooked the veggies (steamed, sauteed etc).

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I cooked it all in a foil packet for about 30 minutes. Probably explains the color of the salmon. Found a recipe online and didn't measure because :derp: After cooking it I realized that the veggies are nowhere near tender enough and I think I need to precook them in some fashion.

It looks like a lot more than it was, though I should have drained it off rather than dump it on the plate. It really did taste fine, but you'd probably be appalled if someone dropped that in front of you at a restaurant.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

zxqv8 posted:

It tasted fine.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pork chop, collards, mac+cheese

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

It tasted fine.

Ain't no worry as long as it tasted good. I'd try reducing the oil next time, or maybe toss then in a wok, or steam them.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ain't no worry as long as it tasted good. I'd try reducing the oil next time, or maybe toss then in a wok, or steam them.

Roasting is the superior veggie preparation

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's true. I had roasted potato, pumpkin and broccoli stems tonight and they were awesome.
My partner doesn't like broccoli heads roasted, they only like it lightly cooked and no browning (edit: eg they prefer them steamed.)
But that's OK, I'll save the heads for later and try get them into a curry or stir fry later in the week.
Before I started roasting veg, the broccoli stems usually ended up in the bin. :doh:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Pork chop, collards, mac+cheese

Did you torch that plant tentacle for aromatic effect?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Fo3 posted:

That's true. I had roasted potato, pumpkin and broccoli stems tonight and they were awesome.
My partner doesn't like broccoli heads roasted, they only like it lightly cooked and no browning (edit: eg they prefer them steamed.)
But that's OK, I'll save the heads for later and try get them into a curry or stir fry later in the week.
Before I started roasting veg, the broccoli stems usually ended up in the bin. :doh:

Oh man. I can see why you'd :doh: broccoli stems are the best part!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Some dinners over the last week or so.

stir fried pork with mushrooms and zucchini in oyster sauce by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

dubliner and whiskey fondue by gtrwndr87, on Flickr
served with bread, blanched broc, boiled potatoes, some grilled kielbasa, and granny smith apples.

Ribs. 6 hrs in cherrywood smoke. Wrapped and finished in the oven.

rub: guajillo and morita chiles, onion, garlic, pepper, oregano, cacao nibs, salt, piloncillo.

braise: apple cider vinegar, rittenhouse rye

cherrywood smoked spareribs by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

dubliner mac and cheese with mushroom and chorizo by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

fried chicken strips by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

grilled chicken wrap by gtrwndr87, on Flickr
Chicken thighs marinated in whole grain mustard, herbes de provence, sherry vinegar, honey, and garlic. Grilled, chopped, and served wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla with garden fresh early girl tomatoes, spinach, and tzatziki made with garden mici cucumber.

Fresh beignets:

beignets by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Dinner a few days ago:

chicken and shrimp paella by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Dinner last night:

26 oz sirloin steak by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Sirloin steak, gray salt by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Served with a baked potato and some stir fried vegetables from the garden:

mixed veg stirfry by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

gailan tops, snowpeas, zucchini, white scallop squash, and mushrooms

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Can I come live with you gravity? I mean I eat well but holy crap

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
That mac and cheese is beautiful.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ahaha that steak looked big when you posted it in IRC, but you ate a (very nice looking) 26oz steak for dinner?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So what'd you do to the breading on those chicken fingers to make it look more "papery" (I can't think of another word) than say, preformed awful crap you get at the Huddle House down the hill? I like the way it looks, but I'm curious. I don't bread and deepfry stuff very often.

I agree that steak is beautiful.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Ahaha that steak looked big when you posted it in IRC, but you ate a (very nice looking) 26oz steak for dinner?

Split with the wife. So 13 oz-ish each. There were leftovers. Mmmm steak sandwich.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So what'd you do to the breading on those chicken fingers to make it look more "papery" (I can't think of another word) than say, preformed awful crap you get at the Huddle House down the hill? I like the way it looks, but I'm curious. I don't bread and deepfry stuff very often.

It's not really particularly unique I don't think. Season, Dredge, dip in buttermilk, dredge again and fry.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Can I come live with you gravity? I mean I eat well but holy crap

quote:

I agree that steak is beautiful.

Ambellina posted:

That mac and cheese is beautiful.

Thanks! :3:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 8, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Tonight I made a RZA Burger, just to see how it works in practice, and now I want to do so many variations. The use of waffles as bun is genius as far as sauce and vegetables are concerned, and the fried egg is nice and rich.

This time: Frozen waffles, morningstar mushroom patty, over-medium egg, grilled slab of onion, tomato, diced pickle/serranos in aioli.

If I made fresh waffles (no iron), and used bison this would be over the top great. For now I'm going to try different toppings and marinating portobello caps.
e: I think the ideal form would be: Sourdough homemade waffle, bison patty, aioli, mustard, onion and tomato and pickle.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 8, 2013

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

You motherfucker that all looks incredible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

IMG_5908 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Beef flavored ramen with two poached eggs

Sup ramen egg buddy :respek:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Two friends had a combined bridal shower and had me do the lunch. So did a spread.

Whole thing. Hummus is the dip, didn't take a detail shot because it's hummus, all kind of looks the same.

Smoked salmon, cucumbers, capers, thin shaved onions and some lemon juice and pepper on top on toasted baguette slice.

Shrimp spring rolls, which don't look terribly exciting on the outside I suppose. Dipping sauce is a standard fish sauce/vinegar mix with some soy and chili paste, the rolls have shrimp, basil, pickled carrot and daikon, a bit of lettuce and bean sprouts.

A roasted asparagus salad with onion, a balsamic/lemon vinaigrette with fresh tarragon, feta cheese, the rest of the shrimp, and roasted chickpeas for crunchies.

And a two layer panna cotta I couldn't cut without loving up the presentation, but the bottom layer is citrus and the top is cherry, with some chopped cherries inside. Served with more chopped cherries and raspberries, both of which are super rare over here in Korea.

I have not heard reviews yet because I'm sure they're all shitfaced on sangria but it all tasted good to me while I was making it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 8, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How did you manage to get a bunch of Koreans to eat that? (also you should get PMs)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Only half Koreans, and a Chinese girl. :v: My friends are not nutjobs and appreciate a wide range of food.

I suppose it's about time I get PMs and kick another ten bucks into this place. E: Got it now.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 8, 2013

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
Just a simple roasted chicken with herb butter under the skin.

Oh, and some not so simple sushi.

Akito12345 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 8, 2013

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I had a ribeye with spring greens, peas and sweet potato.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Homemade burgers with homemade buns, mozzarella, caramelised onion. Mayo spread over the buns after they were toasted on the grill.

Only semi-complete picture I could get before the family devoured them all.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The weekend was a weird one.

Bad:
- f*ckd up my little bro's cabrio
- didn't buy food for this evening, so had an "empty fridge" when I got home

Good:
- bro turned out to have an all risk insurance on his car
- had the ingredients to somewhat replicate the mexican rice from the mexican food thread

Dinner was had:

paraquat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 9, 2013

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Chorizo, potato, onion, mushroom

with an egg

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Imagine cabbage, carrots, ginger, garlic, and chinese 5-spice blend run through the chopping blade of a food processor.
Then imagine that got run through a red-hot wok with some oil.
Then burden your mind with the thought of these things being combined with brined, roasted, and cubed pork being scooped into egg-roll wrappers and deep fried in batches in my Cool-Daddy deep frier out in my garage just for the gently caress of it.

I know. I know it's beyond belief, but it's home-made deep-fried egg-rolls you mother-fuckers. God drat.

edit: vvv Yah, Lo siento, we just moved and I've managed to not only lose the usb cable for my camera but also the all-in-one card reader as well because I'm a loving champ like that. vvv

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I see that there. posted:

Imagine cabbage, carrots, ginger, garlic, and chinese 5-spice blend run through the chopping blade of a food processor.
Then imagine that got run through a red-hot wok with some oil.
Then burden your mind with the thought of these things being combined with brined, roasted, and cubed pork being scooped into egg-roll wrappers and deep fried in batches in my Cool-Daddy deep frier out in my garage just for the gently caress of it.

I know. I know it's beyond belief, but it's home-made deep-fried egg-rolls you mother-fuckers. God drat.

Did you not bring a camera to the "bring a camera to the loving table" thread? If so :smith:

:v: In all actuality that sounds awesome and not terribly difficult to make. I'm definitely interested.

• Locked thread