Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How? Just make Goldenfish Bait. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sire Oblivion posted:

How? Just make Goldenfish Bait. :psyduck:

I was really really bad at the actual fishing part. You lost your bait!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What's a good G-rank gunner armor? Full blademaster until now, I want to try my hand at pelleting a Diablos to death.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bowgun or bow?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Emalde posted:

All of the Size-Ls are already gone :negative:

Update: Looks like they restocked on everything, so the larger sizes for every shirt are currently in!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

bowgun or bow?

Bowgun

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Level Slide posted:

What's a good G-rank gunner armor? Full blademaster until now, I want to try my hand at pelleting a Diablos to death.
Just an FYI, third gen Diablos tails aren't the pellet magnets they were in second gen games. I think pierce is generally more effective now. In any case, if you're fighting Diablos, setting something up with evade dist up is probably a good choice. Depending on the type of shot you're using, you'll also want to gem in the appropriate skill that boosts the particular damage. For instance, if you're going to go for pierce shots, get Pierce Up. If you're going to use Freeze S, get Element Up or Ice Attack+2.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions for some good high rank hammers or gun lances? I just made the G.Agna set and want to try out GL again. The Black Diablos set has some pretty awesome skills so I figure its a good excuse to make a hammer set.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Haven't hunted in about 3 weeks. Have a 25 hour flight coming up this weekend. I have an Anker battery pack, a 3DS USB charger, a Nyko battery extender, and a hunter transferred to my 3DS. :getin:

All those neglected village quests. All those free hunting poo poo for rare commodities.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

First time killing a Jade Barroth, got this. And he was ridiculously easy, took me like five minutes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Barroth in general is a really straightforward and easy monster. I always liked fighting it because way back in Low Rank it was a breath of fresh air compared to the assholery of Qurupeco and Royal Ludroth. Jade is the exact same thing except it can turn while charging, and its tail Iceblights.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Level Slide posted:

I don't use pellet shots very much as they tend to make my brother angry, but I've been really liking the Agnaktor X set. Normal/Rapid Up and Fire Atk+1 are cool, and I can easily gem in Precision+2 and Evade Distance Up. Being able to use guns that normally have deviation has been working well for me.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

If you want to use pellet in multiplayer, hit your teammates with an armor shot and they won't get flinched by any other of your shots.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mcpringles posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for some good high rank hammers or gun lances? I just made the G.Agna set and want to try out GL again. The Black Diablos set has some pretty awesome skills so I figure its a good excuse to make a hammer set.

I pretty much used Iron Impact and the Gunhammer until I hit G. Other than those, Barroth's hammer looks good and do the Zinogre hammer, the Azure Rathalos hammer and Fang Hammer "Ruin." If you're looking for a decent starter high-rank hammer (which, given that you've killed Aglaktor, you probably aren't), the Peco Flint's got blue sharpness and OK raw.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Level Slide posted:

The Ingot X armor is very easy to make and offers Pellet Up, Recoil Down +1, Thunder Attack +2, and Spectre's Whim (pickaxes and bug nets break more frequently). Pretty solid for starting out G rank with a pellet gunner suit and most of the materials to make it comes from mining.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zinogre wasn't bad at all with a gunlance. It did take 17 minutes though so I might try with DBs and see if I can get that down.

Now I have scary sounding things like nargacuga and azure rathalos. :ohdear: Regular rathalos is annoying enough I'm sure the azure version is worse.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Awesome! posted:

Zinogre wasn't bad at all with a gunlance. It did take 17 minutes though so I might try with DBs and see if I can get that down.

Now I have scary sounding things like nargacuga and azure rathalos. :ohdear: Regular rathalos is annoying enough I'm sure the azure version is worse.

HR Narga is really docile, and predictable. And the only difference between normal and Azure Los is that the latter likes to use that (easily dodged) poison talon attack more.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Azure Rathalos is roughly as annoying as normal Rathalos. Just get grinding out the Rath Soul set out of the way and be free of him for a while.

Nargacuga is actually super fun to fight, so look forward to fighting it!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Neo_Crimson posted:

HR Narga is really docile, and predictable.

Nope neither of these are words I would use after meeting him.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Nor would I go with "super fun to fight", either. How exactly am I supposed to dodge his whole "I'm gonna jump past you, then leap attack you, then jump around again, then leap attack again" attack? Outside of evade+1, I mean.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just got booted from a lobby by a gunlancer who was absolutely furious that I dung bombed a rath that was chewing up a teammate because it made him miss a wyvernfire. :laffo:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You fight narg with a lance or gun lance and a defense styled armor set to negate all of his bullshit. You then just stand underneath him and smash away with an upwards stab.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

Nope neither of these are words I would use after meeting him.

I don't know about docile for narga, but after you've fought him a few times you'll start to realise that he has very, very predictable patterns, he telegraphs almost all of his attcks hugely.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
First time I fought Narga was with a greatsword and I killed him pretty easily. I think he's fun, just watch out for that goddamn tail slam. Also, I got Azure Rathalos armour as soon as I hit the 9 star quests and it's amazing.

E: Typo.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 7, 2013

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Hunting black diablos tonight I discovered how useful flashbombs can be after doing the underground -> sonic -> free damage -> he flies out - > throw a flash bomb to air ko -> more free damage.

Except this time I planted a pitfall trap while my buddies wailed on his stupid horns. So after that he immediately fell back into a hole for more free damage, and you can flash him out of the air again when he finally escapes the pitfall for another air KO. Having instant access to bombs makes me love the SnS so much.

Then I put 2 and 2 together and realized this same tactic can be used on Ratholos/Rathian after a pitfall trap - holy poo poo they die fast when 2 other players are going to town on a helpless monster.

Does anyone know more tactics like this, possibly with other item/monster combinations? I think that might work on narga as well but I haven't tested.

Holy poo poo this game is amazing.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Colorspray posted:

Does anyone know more tactics like this, possibly with other item/monster combinations? I think that might work on narga as well but I haven't tested.
If you think that's good get someone using a paralyze attribute hunting horn or hammer, and if they paralyze or KO the monster while it's in the pitfall trap, it just stops moving during the status duration, effectively prolonging the pitfall trap time (and subsequent damage bonus while trapped) as well. Now take into account that you can paralyze an already ko'd monster or ko a paralyzed monster and it upgrades pitfalls to threat level :madmax:. Pitfall/paralyze/ko combos are the loving best parts of the game.

Also, back on the flash bomb subject, you can intercept a monster like Barioth or Nargacuga that try to fly away from areas to "limp" off at low hp by using flash bombs on them. There's a very small window for it since most monsters go vertical very quickly when trying to leave, but catch them low enough and you can flash bomb right back down when they leave the ground, possibly finishing them off with enough damage during the following stumble.

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

E-Tap posted:

paralyze

Awesome!

Welp now I feel like a fool for neglecting the paralyze SnS (Secta Du) - I made a point to max upgrade every element SnS and the hellnox epee for poison. Guess now I'm going bug hunting this weekend, why can't I stop playing this game?!

Although yesterday I pieced together a SnS set with Sharpness+1, Evade+1, and Status+2 for my poison shenanigans - seems like the Secta Du would fit nicely with that set :getin:

Been working on a separate armor set for each SnS I have - that's why I can't stop playing this game.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Rainuwastaken posted:

Nor would I go with "super fun to fight", either. How exactly am I supposed to dodge his whole "I'm gonna jump past you, then leap attack you, then jump around again, then leap attack again" attack? Outside of evade+1, I mean.

He goes into a pounce posture for five or so seconds right before that attack. Just move out of the way.

Nargacuga is one of the easier monsters in the game, especially if you're a gunner.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Miijhal posted:

He goes into a pounce posture for five or so seconds right before that attack. Just move out of the way.

Nargacuga is one of the easier monsters in the game, especially if you're a gunner.

Nah, I don't mean the combo where he always ends up jumping off into a wall or something. That one's easy to avoid. I have problems against Green Narga (so maybe that's why) when it does this thing where it does a harmless jump to the side (usually ending up behind me), then pounces. It then does it again so I get hit as I stand up.

I'll check again to see if he does the whole long pause thing before that, and hopefully it'll work out.

Grahamtams
May 16, 2005

Graham is Our Man

Speedboat Jones posted:

I just got booted from a lobby by a gunlancer who was absolutely furious that I dung bombed a rath that was chewing up a teammate because it made him miss a wyvernfire. :laffo:

It feels like the littlest things can make people so angry in this game. The online community is making me rage a bit myself.

I was in a great group last night. We did 3 hard rank 8 quests really easily and quickly. They even let me pick which quest to do right when I joined which was a nice surprise. Then things turned sour when they wouldn't let me carve the last corpse. They kept attacking me and bombing around the corpse. It was really freaking rude (I'm Dual Swords... I need those Dash Extracts!!), so I just left after the hunt.

Starting to only want to play with friends I already know. Strangers are too prone to trolling it seems.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Dishsoap posted:

So after almost 250 hours of play, I just realized you can just hold down the A button to mass combine items. I wish I had known this earlier, as I've just been mashing A as fast as I can to make thousands of potions and flash bombs.

I learned that after 150 hours in :negative:

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't use pellet shots very much as they tend to make my brother angry, but I've been really liking the Agnaktor X set. Normal/Rapid Up and Fire Atk+1 are cool, and I can easily gem in Precision+2 and Evade Distance Up. Being able to use guns that normally have deviation has been working well for me.

I went with the Barioth X set and the diamond frost LBG as my starter G rank set. But I'm thinking of making the Agnaktor X or Z as my next set. I love the way that set looks. I do however wish the color pallet was swapped between the x and z. I want the x skills with the z colors.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 7, 2013

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
:smug: It only took me 100 hours to figure that out.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

rhoga posted:

If you want to use pellet in multiplayer, hit your teammates with an armor shot and they won't get flinched by any other of your shots.
T-that works?! :psyduck:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Miijhal posted:

I've been killed more by narga than brachy now. Apparently I'm doing something wrong if he's supposed to be so easy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Awesome! posted:

I've been killed more by narga than brachy now. Apparently I'm doing something wrong if he's supposed to be so easy.
The big thing is practicing learning how to roll under all of its attacks. You don't need evade+1 (though it obviously helps) to roll under its tail swipe, 360 spin, pounces, etc.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
Recently, I happened upon a 5 Handicraft/7 Free Element charm. Now, I am rocking Evade 1, Evade Distance, Sharpness 1, Awaken, and Bombardier with my Rising Tempest lance. When coupled with Pyro and Attack L food, I am sporting 600 slime, nearly 700 attack, and a decent slice of purple sharpness.

Please, tell me there is another set I can make to harness even more destructive potential... I have been thinking about trying out SnS or Hunting Horns. Anyone come across other unique beat down armor sets?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Hah, 99% of the time the elemental resistances on armor are rather irrelevant. But sometimes, boy howdy. I was wondering why G-Rank DeviJho was 1 shotting me with his breath attack when I checked my Selene set and realized it's -35% to dragon.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Awesome! posted:

I've been killed by Nargacuga only once ever since I let my guard down while eating a dessert and playing with a buddy, the tail slam came out of nowhere. He usually telegraphs all his moves really clearly. It's a really fun fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Thundercracker posted:

Hah, 99% of the time the elemental resistances on armor are rather irrelevant. But sometimes, boy howdy. I was wondering why G-Rank DeviJho was 1 shotting me with his breath attack when I checked my Selene set and realized it's -35% to dragon.
Become the greatest hunter and evade through the dragon breath.
Also its roars.
You don't need evade+ to do those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Nahxela posted:

T-that works?! :psyduck:

Yeah, armor shot applies a defense boost + something like Unshakable or whatever that wierd skill is that reduces the strength of knockbacks by one level. It makes you immune to flinching since it's the lowest form of knockback.

It's actually super useful in some fights but I keep forgetting about it. I imagine it would make most underwater fights a lot less painful since that generic backflip knockback-and-take-a-little-break animation would be downgraded to that other knockback that doesn't last 5 seconds.

Thundercracker posted:

There's a food combination that grants you the Dragon Res (L) buff and Dragonslayer felyne skill. There's a wierd bug that happens when you get both of those at the same time which basically gives you like 40 dragon res if your base armor res is negative (so you'll end up with +5 dragon res, instead of -35). I think veggie and milk or veggie and drink will give it, but I can't remember.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 7, 2013

• Locked thread