Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mooseontheloose posted:

The concept is pretty creepy to be honest because the protagonists never win.
That's the beauty of it: the real protagonist is the viewer rooting for those douches to fall into a rube rube goldberg blender.

It's a bit like watching people on the internet torturing themselves through incredibly bad or hard games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Final Destination started life as an X-Files episode. Chris Carter turned it down, and then gordon and wong decided to make it into a movie. Those FBI agents in the film? Imagine them as Mulder and Scully.

That said I like the Final Destination Flicks. Three is probably the best as a film, but they all have a sort of goofy charm to them

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Dabir posted:

And you can throw them into his mouth before the bubbles fall far enough to block them.

EDIT: And even the critical Pokemon catch has *one* shake, but it's usually a sure thing.
Just be super cheap and stand behind him, bubbles can't hurt you and you can hit him in the back of the head while his mouth is open and it'll count.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The concept is pretty creepy to be honest because the protagonists never win.
Yeah see THAT is what terrifies me. Blame it on being raised by a semi-superstitious family but the concept of Death constantly following and ultimately planning your demise and nothing will ever loving change that no matter how much you run, is legitimately terrifying as a CONCEPT.

...as an execution, it can hit or miss.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Final Destination started life as an X-Files episode. Chris Carter turned it down, and then gordon and wong decided to make it into a movie. Those FBI agents in the film? Imagine them as Mulder and Scully.

That said I like the Final Destination Flicks. Three is probably the best as a film, but they all have a sort of goofy charm to them
Wait seriously?! ...this makes so much more sense now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

FinalGamer posted:

ANYWAYS BACK ON TRACK are we straight off to SMB3 or is there some hidden masterpiece somewhere in the middle we have yet to find out? I know there's one certain educational game in the near-future you guys HAVE to play. And I demand every version of it be played, or else. :colbert:

You're just looking for a way to get out of your LP by shoving it off on K&K.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

T.G. Xarbala posted:

(Kyle and Keith never watch other LPs, which is a shame because, say, Chip Cheezum's stuff is consistently entertaining.)

I love Chip on YTR, but I have no idea who he actually is. I'd like to hear a podcast or something but, goddamn, I don't think I could watch an LP. (I dont want you guys to think I hate the format you like, I feel the same way about video podcasts. Adding video just makes it so inconvenient for me)

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Somethingdumb posted:

I love Chip on YTR, but I have no idea who he actually is. I'd like to hear a podcast or something but, goddamn, I don't think I could watch an LP. (I dont want you guys to think I hate the format you like, I feel the same way about video podcasts. Adding video just makes it so inconvenient for me)
I'm pretty sure he says at least one funny thing in this: http://retsupurae.libsyn.com/23-et-tu-c2e2

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, congratulations for making it through Mario 2. That final boss was a real game-ender for little kid me.

Are you going to go for a full clear of Mario 3 when its time in the spotlight pops up? That might take even longer.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ultimetalhead posted:

On SMB2, the last few videos up to the Wart fight were quite entertaining and enjoyable. The series becomes much more fun to watch when you guys do well at the games rather than continually getting rear end-raped.
:eng101: Having difficulty with a video game doesn't actually have a lot in common with getting raped.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Final Destination 5, the gymnast's actual death was very cathartic after the tension with the nail on the balance beam. Somehow managing to triple somersault while 3 feet off the ground like a loving catherine wheel. I laughed so hard. I also liked the one guy running across the bridge during the big opening cataclysm and getting swatted to the side by a suspension cord. Hilarious.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Somethingdumb posted:

You can make an exception just this once, P.A.L.S. is something else entirely: http://www.chipandironicus.com/videos/mgspw/54.html

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013

Houle posted:

I don't know if this is played for irony or not. In the Sonic thread people were telling them to slowdown

Fair enough. I wasn't around for the Sonic LP and I'm just catching up.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

There's so many video series and LPs on Kyle and Keith's plate that I'm surprised they find the time to have day jobs or school. Asking for a video every other day would be impossible without marathons of footage filmed and edited beforehand and then trickled out. Or if the videos were shorter. Hell, I'm impressed when an LPer is able to release high-quality content weekly. There's dozens of LPs to follow on SA alone, not to mention hundreds of poorly-put-together affairs on youtube, so if I had to choose between quality and quantity, I'd choose quality.

It just so happens that RunBanter has a quality all its own. And in the interests of gathering more material, I wholly support Kyle's initiative to have Keith research the Fast and Furious series in its entirety. Especially if he hates it.

I realize it's a ton of work, but if they were able to throw up so much content during the Sonic LP in such a short period of time, I'm just wondering what has changed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ultimetalhead posted:

Fair enough. I wasn't around for the Sonic LP and I'm just catching up.

I realize it's a ton of work, but if they were able to throw up so much content during the Sonic LP in such a short period of time, I'm just wondering what has changed.

They had recorded it all before they started, or at least had a huge lead of already-recorded material.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

They had recorded it all before they started, or at least had a huge lead of already-recorded material.

That makes more sense. Oh well. I'll remain patient, and I can always catch up on the mammoth Sonic LP in the meantime.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Somethingdumb posted:

The secret to Let's Plays is that the comedic ones can often be left in a separate browser tab and looked at only occasionally :ssh:

I'm currently rewatching KFJ's Final Fantasy 13-2 LP, where looking at the game for a prolonged any amount of time is detrimental to the experience.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
It is impossible to catch up on the Sonic LP. Old age will find you first; there is too much. You either rode that wave or are doomed to chase it for the rest of your life.

I am really glad we got to see all of SMB2. I've played the game on lots of different occasions, but never really got into it or felt like I was having much fun. poo poo gets weird.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013

a spooky ghost posted:

It is impossible to catch up on the Sonic LP. Old age will find you first; there is too much. You either rode that wave or are doomed to chase it for the rest of your life.

I am really glad we got to see all of SMB2. I've played the game on lots of different occasions, but never really got into it or felt like I was having much fun. poo poo gets weird.

I'm determined. I've figured out that it's just over 101 hours, and I'm just about finishing up Sonic Adventure 2. There's a long way to go, but it's almost become some kind of sick obsession. Like, I'll be happy if I finish it before I die just so I can tell people that I've seen over 101 hours of two dudes yakking while playing every Sonic game ever.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I was lucky in that youtube hadn't yet been banned at work when the Sonic LP was going on, because holy butts a video a day was insane.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Ultimetalhead posted:

I'm determined. I've figured out that it's just over 101 hours, and I'm just about finishing up Sonic Adventure 2. There's a long way to go, but it's almost become some kind of sick obsession. Like, I'll be happy if I finish it before I die just so I can tell people that I've seen over 101 hours of two dudes yakking while playing every Sonic game ever.

Wow congrats on having the most pathetic life ever.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
How is it that SMB2 was the first game to really bring you to your knees? It is a baby game for babies.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Patter Song posted:

You're just looking for a way to get out of your LP by shoving it off on K&K.
I just can't find an adobe in Nairobi, what more do you WANT from me, I can't do it on my own :saddowns:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Petr posted:

How is it that SMB2 was the first game to really bring you to your knees? It is a baby game for babies.

The albatoss bomb omb spam level is pretty young adult

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

I just can't find an adobe in Nairobi, what more do you WANT from me, I can't do it on my own :saddowns:

Get me suitably drunk with access to wikipedia and I'll loving do it.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

a spooky ghost posted:

I don't know, I have a crazy friend who insists he's seen every video of the Sonic LP at least three times.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JetGrind posted:

I don't know, I have a crazy friend who insists he's seen every video of the Sonic LP at least three times.
I actually did watch every video, when it was near the end of the thread run.

...Emurruld

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

a spooky ghost posted:

I'm watching it currently (at 94, it's taken a few weeks to get this far), but I'm so glad to be in on the ground floor for this thread. I can't imagine how long the completed LP will be, but the idea is terrifying.

EDIT: One of the worst parts of watching it is wanting to comment on something K&K say, but knowing the time is long past.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

a spooky ghost posted:

Hey now, the youtube playlist is only 190 videos, with a combined total run time of approximately 101 hours, or 4 days 5 hours.

So, just spend all of your free time (and some of your not-free time) on it and you'll be done in, I dunno, a month?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gyre posted:

I'm watching it currently (at 94, it's taken a few weeks to get this far), but I'm so glad to be in on the ground floor for this thread. I can't imagine how long the completed LP will be, but the idea is terrifying.

EDIT: One of the worst parts of watching it is wanting to comment on something K&K say, but knowing the time is long past.

I have a feeling they will do it in at most the same amount of time as sonic provided they don't ever try to 100% the games. There's no Sonic 06/Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Adventure 30 hour games in the mario cannon. minimum stars to complete the absolute longest of the 3d games shouldn't take as long as figuring out how to get the gently caress out of some of those werehog levels.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

I have a feeling they will do it in at most the same amount of time as sonic provided they don't ever try to 100% the games. There's no Sonic 06/Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Adventure 30 hour games in the mario cannon. minimum stars to complete the absolute longest of the 3d games shouldn't take as long as figuring out how to get the gently caress out of some of those werehog levels.

There are only 5 3D platformers in the series, and completing Super Mario 64 and 3D Land 100% really shouldn't take all that long assuming that Kyle doesn't screw around too much, but the other three probably will. However, if you can make it through Sonic 06, you can make it through 100% runs of Sunshine and both Galaxies which I think are much more interesting than the all 3D Sonics anwyay.

Currawong posted:

They DIDN'T make it through Sonic 06, though! And some of us are still waiting for it :mad:

It's a long LP, and I just finished watching Sonic 3. I saw they did a good few videos and that Sonic 06 was in boldface in the list of games, so I assumed they finished it, my bad. I still think my point stands, though, that complete play throughs of the 3D Marios would be watchable and entertaining.

a spooky ghost posted:

I'm actually surprised that people were able to ride that wave at all. With a new half hour long video almost every day, it would be hard to keep up even if you did follow the thread from the beginning. That said, I'm glad K&K are taking their time with this one.

Enormatron fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 8, 2013

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
They DIDN'T make it through Sonic 06, though! And some of us are still waiting for it :mad:

A minimum-star run of Mario 64 could probably take less time than Sonic Unleashed's Eggmanland alone, though. Without all the Saahniic! to boot.

As long as we're talking about both Sonic and Mario 2, check out the beginning of this. Look how far they've come! (Complete with "this was originally Doki Doki Panic...")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSJSNaLB54

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I find old Sonic episodes to be very useful to put on as background noise for when I'm trying to sleep. In fact, that's largely how I listen to these nowadays.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
They didn't finish Sonic 06? That's pretty disappointing, honestly. I know they only play the side games for a little while, but it's a bummer that a major entry of the series went unfinished.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

But it was ALREADY unfinished. :confused:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RentCavalier posted:

I find old Sonic episodes to be very useful to put on as background noise for when I'm trying to sleep. In fact, that's largely how I listen to these nowadays.

:hfive:

I downloaded them all just to put them in a random playlist before bedtime. I've always wanted to thank them in the thread but I thought it might sound like an insult :frogbon:

That said I still always mix up their dumb, similar names and can't remember which one plays all the games/records/edits/does all the work and which one has the stupid opinions about everything.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
I can't understand the difficulty in telling their voices apart. I mean, it took me a couple videos, but it was never a major problem.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not their voices, their names.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ultimetalhead posted:

They didn't finish Sonic 06? That's pretty disappointing, honestly. I know they only play the side games for a little while, but it's a bummer that a major entry of the series went unfinished.

Pokecapn et al. did a good enough job that I don't really see a gaping lack of sonic 2006.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

beep by grandpa posted:

Not their voices, their names.

I never had trouble with this because Keith just sounds like a Keith.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

the Gaffe posted:

I never had trouble with this because Keith just sounds like a Keith.

That's Keithist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I remember having a really hard time telling them apart when I first started watching at the beginning of the Sonic LP. It seems crazy to me now but I swear that's how it was for the first dozen or so videos in that series. Then for a while, I could hear the difference in the voices but couldn't remember who was Kyle and who was Keith.

We can call it Run Button Aphasia or something.

• Locked thread