Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
They probably just threw it up there not expecting it to sell at that price, but just on the offchance that someone with enough money and fond memories will go for it.

Chris Taylor has the fond memories, but not so much of the other thing right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Somebody might pay that just so they can put TA on GOG and Steam. Not sure if that would be worth it, but it's possible.

edit: nvm, TA is already on GOG, so that idea is out.

TA is up on GOG already. Or was at least - I bought it (again) from there a while back.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
According to Steam, this is available for early access tomorrow. Surprising, since I had no idea they were already this far along, but a nice surprise.

code:
Current Early Access Feature List*:

Alpha requires a 64-bit operating system! 32-bit will come as soon as possible, but at launch for alpha, you MUST have 64-bit

-Single planet combat: Land, Naval, Air
-2 - 10 players (2 - 4 recommended)
-Army vs Army free for all (Armies can support multiple players)

* This list will be updated as more features become available.
No idea if/how backers are getting access, but I could be missing something obvious.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Generation Internet posted:

According to Steam, this is available for early access tomorrow. Surprising, since I had no idea they were already this far along, but a nice surprise.

code:
Current Early Access Feature List*:

Alpha requires a 64-bit operating system! 32-bit will come as soon as possible, but at launch for alpha, you MUST have 64-bit

-Single planet combat: Land, Naval, Air
-2 - 10 players (2 - 4 recommended)
-Army vs Army free for all (Armies can support multiple players)

* This list will be updated as more features become available.
No idea if/how backers are getting access, but I could be missing something obvious.

They're doing it on an "who paid the most" basis. Friend of mine paid 295 odd dollars, he has his key already, yet myself at 110 does not.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Okay I'm ready to be disappointed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I paid 110 and I have a key. If any other goons have a key and want to play a game let me know? I'd love to just be able to gently caress around in a sandbox for a while with another person or three.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Sooo Alpha tomorrow? Are they just handing out steam keys?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

quote:

As is clear from the buzz around twitter, reddit, our forums, and elsewhere, people already know the alpha is starting to get out to people. We started sending out the first batch of keys on Wednesday morning in Seattle, and we have sent out a total of 1600 keys. We will be sending out another batch tonight hopefully, and if all goes well, the final keys should hit mailboxes tomorrow!

With that in mind, we have decided to delay our official Steam launch til June 13th! This gives the early backers and pre-orders a little more time to get to know the current state of the game, allow us more time to iterate on the build, and just overall get this awesome experiment called Planetary Annihilation really moving! Even if you want to play on Steam and are part of the alpha, you can hop in as soon as you get your key, and once we have the Steam key exchange ready, you can convert your key then! If you’re eager to get in the alpha but backed at a lower level than $90, you can go to http://store.uberent.com and upgrade your pledge. If you pledged at $50, $40, $20 or $15 and don't see an upgrade option, please go to the FAQ at http://www.uberent.com/pa/faq for details on how to finalize your pledge. If you bought extra keys, we will have a way to update those very soon!

We appreciate your patience and your understanding as we’ve been rolling this Alpha out. From all of us here at Uber Entertainment, thanks for your support so far, and we'll see you in game!

Welp

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Eh, I can wait a little longer.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's pretty rough. It's certainly an Alpha. Interesting stuff though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Watched a few streams. It's playable, but buggy; large groups of units will sometimes get stuck, the client crashes regularly, you can build buildings on any surface including sheer cliff faces (which is hilarious), and the only reason balance isn't completely hopeless is that everyone gets the same units.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That sounds like everything an Alpha should be!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ralith posted:

Watched a few streams. It's playable, but buggy; large groups of units will sometimes get stuck, the client crashes regularly, you can build buildings on any surface including sheer cliff faces (which is hilarious), and the only reason balance isn't completely hopeless is that everyone gets the same units.

This would actually be a great gameplay mechanic. Build your factories on cliffs and have the units manufactured in it plummet onto your enemy below!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In addition to buildings on cliff faces, there's no bounding box for structures. You you can build 10 extractors right on top of each other. When placing multiples, just shift and multi click in place until they add gridding or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Erm, this actually sounds more like a pre-alpha than an alpha, or at least, what should be a developmental pre-alpha. Hope the beta starts to resemble a properly worked-on game.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Erm, this actually sounds more like a pre-alpha than an alpha, or at least, what should be a developmental pre-alpha. Hope the beta starts to resemble a properly worked-on game.

There's a reason that alpha stuff is never as widely released as this game is at this point. It's always this way. It's just with kickstarter games like this and Star Citizen, people are finally getting earlier and earlier looks in to the entire process.

Yes, the sausage factory analogy applies.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Gwaihir posted:

There's a reason that alpha stuff is never as widely released as this game is at this point. It's always this way. It's just with kickstarter games like this and Star Citizen, people are finally getting earlier and earlier looks in to the entire process.

Yes, the sausage factory analogy applies.

They've done all this in 9 months, and we've been told updates are really easy to push out, so I imagine we'll be seeing a pretty decent game by beta.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You could ignore all PA news until beta and pretend that they just hadn't done an alpha, if you prefer. They've built a whole new engine from scratch including a some serious technological innovation (virtual texturing, CSG maps...) so it's pretty impressive to see even this much working so soon after the kickstarter.

Anyway, how to win: Build T2 battleships and defensive turrets.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder, the NS2 team got so much poo poo for their Alpha launch that half the dev team almost quit and one guy almost had a nervous breakdown.

Alpha means Alpha people, don't expect the full fuckin finished game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Consider me corrected, fair enough to Uber then.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember getting to play the WOW: Wrath of the lich king alpha. That convinced me to never play another alpha, tho watching the dragons walk through the air since they had no flight animations, and the various mobs that had no skins so were wearing random rear end bear and cow skins was funny as hell.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ralith posted:

You could ignore all PA news until beta and pretend that they just hadn't done an alpha, if you prefer. They've built a whole new engine from scratch including a some serious technological innovation (virtual texturing, CSG maps...) so it's pretty impressive to see even this much working so soon after the kickstarter.

Got a link to their podcast/blogs that has that stuff? I must've missed it and I'm always up for hearing about game engine innovation.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I remember the NS alpha. It was a shooting gallery with cardboard cutouts. It still got me to preorder on faith alone and turned out ok. I figured if it was bad, the $50 was repayment for all the time I spent on original NS.

I think this alpha is neat. If it wasn't janky and broken, I would be disappointed. It will be fun watching development.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, its pretty .. bare bones. Also it runs slow and eats up so much ram.

But it looks cool!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is why companies never release alphas. People judge something really harshly when it's nowhere near the end of its development, and their initial judgement doesn't change when the game is finished.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yay? Alpha, well I'll have fun watching this thing grow for sure. One question, has anyone gotten their t-shirts or any of that crap yet? I thought those were going out shortly after the close of the Kickstarter, but I haven't gotten mine and they have my address and everything in my uber account.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I haven't seen hard dates for physical swag yet. I want my figurines :dance:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Well, it has promise! It would be fun if it ran faster.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Got my Alpha~

Now that the Alpha is out, perhaps a new thread is in order? Looking back on the first page looks strange now.

E: Oh no! :gonk: I saw the worst sin an RTS can make, in my book: I sent some bombers against an AI, and they were killed the instant the missiles left the enemy fighters. This means that weapons fire is 'you take damage over time if you are being shot' rather than 'shot lands, damage dealt'. Sins of a Solar Empire did this too and it annoys me so much when units are destroyed before ordinance hits them. I hope they change it...

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 8, 2013

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Evilreaver posted:

Got my Alpha~

Now that the Alpha is out, perhaps a new thread is in order? Looking back on the first page looks strange now.

E: Oh no! :gonk: I saw the worst sin an RTS can make, in my book: I sent some bombers against an AI, and they were killed the instant the missiles left the enemy fighters. This means that weapons fire is 'you take damage over time if you are being shot' rather than 'shot lands, damage dealt'. Sins of a Solar Empire did this too and it annoys me so much when units are destroyed before ordinance hits them. I hope they change it...

Im sure it is a placeholder.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah its only a sin if it makes it to the beta.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Given supcom made a big deal about modelling each bullet properly, not as a die roll, it serms unlikely to stay that way.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Every time you complain about something, always say to yourself "It's just an alpha that has been out for a day" then give feedback on their official forum provided it's not a typical self-entitled why isn't xyz in the game yet goony post but something of actual substance.

They have a separate bug reporter thing too.

The first part isn't for anyone specific, but goons can be children sometime.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Are we allowed to post screenshots?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Are we allowed to post screenshots?

Glancing over the emails, they never told us not to, and the EULA we 'agreed to' was basically "Ok seriously: This is super alpha. I mean it, this isn't finished. I swear to god if you act like it's finished we will tear your tongue out and paint our house with it"

So I think we're clear.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There are videos on youtube so I wouldn't worry about it.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Evilreaver posted:

Glancing over the emails, they never told us not to, and the EULA we 'agreed to' was basically "Ok seriously: This is super alpha. I mean it, this isn't finished. I swear to god if you act like it's finished we will tear your tongue out and paint our house with it"

So I think we're clear.
Great I'll try to take a few. It's super rough but it sure does look purdy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
As someone who was seriously worried about this game a month ago I'm pleased with the Alpha. I keep scrolling out hoping to see some other planets!!

I really hope that tossing a planet into another planet isn't like ... cinematic. I hope it is some other mechanic than everyone gets a cutscene of the planet smashing into the planet and then a big nuke explodes where the planet was aimed. I don't know what would be a good mechanic but I do know that I wouldn't like a cutscene.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

So I think we're clear.

They've said you can stream the alpha/YouTube it so I imagine screenshots are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Evilreaver posted:

Got my Alpha~

This might even just be lag. I've seen things miss shots and do zero damage.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Got a link to their podcast/blogs that has that stuff? I must've missed it and I'm always up for hearing about game engine innovation.
This post summarizes the CSG stuff and links details about the virtual texturing. I'm surprised you missed it, they've been boasting about it a fair bit in their status updates.

Baloogan posted:

As someone who was seriously worried about this game a month ago I'm pleased with the Alpha. I keep scrolling out hoping to see some other planets!!

I really hope that tossing a planet into another planet isn't like ... cinematic. I hope it is some other mechanic than everyone gets a cutscene of the planet smashing into the planet and then a big nuke explodes where the planet was aimed. I don't know what would be a good mechanic but I do know that I wouldn't like a cutscene.
I very strongly doubt they'd do anything like that. These are experienced gamedevs working independently to build a fun game, not a disjointed assemblage of setpieces. They've got the technology to do large-scale dynamic terrain modification (see blog link above) and the engine already supports rendering multiple celestial bodies in motion at once. At this point I expect it'd actually take substantially more effort to come up with some kind of contrived cinematic deal.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2013

• Locked thread