Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The old pickup looked like it got REALLY hot a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

ultimateforce posted:

Sure it's not from when they brazed it together?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The beast has woken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevvHTlmc9c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

More detail tomorrow night.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think you made it angry.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, I'm terrible at updating my thread it seems. Oh well, better late than never.
^ and yeah, the old oil pickup got that coloration from when it was patched up.

Since the last update there's been some progress. Motor got put back together, all the accessories and whatnot, put on an aftermarket turbo inlet and drat the fitment on aftermarket parts is terrible. Also triple checked the cam seals since I don't want to have to pull the timing belt and cam gears to get to the seals again, here's to hoping I did it right.

Was definitely an exercise in frustration to try to pull through the inlet so that it would go far enough back to the turbo. On top of that the section that the intake connects to is a few inches farther forward and to the side than the stock inlet so the silicon after maf hose is now the wrong shape and too long for the intake to fit in my engine bay so I've been doing a snorkel looking mounting while I wait for a shorter straight section of silicon hose to arrive.

Also, very jealous of my friends S2000 with how much space he has to work on it :(

Finally got everything back in one piece ready to drop back in

Get in ya Bastard!

And it is back in its rightful place!

In my haste to get it back up and running I managed to forget to tighten the turbo oil line and the drivers side AVCS line which proceeded to fling oil around like it was going out of style when I was cranking it over for the first time. First thought that the puddles growing under the car were the cam seals but thankfully it was just my own idiocy. Mopped it all up and fixed the issues and it was time to start it. As the earlier video showed, it worked!

So, since I was planning on using the upgraded TMIC and I'm getting really excited to get it on the road, I put it on. Using the new Cobb blow off valve since my stock one was a little damaged and I didn't want to wait to replace it while possibly having a small vacuum leak where the line from the intake attaches to the bov.

New TMIC is much bigger and looks much better.

So with the new intercooler on, and my intake acting like a tiny snorkel, I threw the wheels on got giddy with excitement

As an aside, I do the little things before I get to the big important things (as always). Took the exhaust and figured it would be a good idea to paint it with some ceramic header paint and heatwrap it forthe bling better heat retention and to keep the engine bay temps down.

Started with masking of the mating surfaces since the paint probably wouldn't help with getting a good seal.

All these pipes cost entirely way too much, but at least I wasn't paying full retail.

Scuffed up the exhaust with a combination of 220 grit and a red scotchbright pad and got to painting.

Once everything was all fine and dandy I started wrapping it. I had the new 2" titanium DEI wrap and a bunch of wrap that the headers and uppipe came with. The new titanium stuff is so much nicer to work with the white fiberglass wrap, painting the parts also helped since it seemed like it make the wrap had more traction on the painted surfaces and was easier to wrap around without it slipping too much. The older white stuff is easy to tear and makes your hands and arms all itchy after working with it for a few minutes. I like a fool also bought the $texas DEI stainless steel zip ties and a package of 50 longer and wider zip ties off amazon that were on clearance for around $16 I think.

Currently ordered some 1" titanium wrap that I have to go pickup, read online that the 1" wrap is easier for small bends like I have on the headers. Those tight bends are going to be *fun* to wrap.

Now, back to the Baja

Took it for a quick test and holy crap it pulls like a freight train. I only got it up to 4k rpm and from my obd2 scantool it looks like it hit a max of 12psi of boost. I'm getting a tgv stuck code so I'm guessing it's in limp mode because of that. I've got grimmspeed tgv deletes waiting to be installed and I'm picking up an Access port tomorrow most likely so those will be going on today. Also purchased the aps tgv servo plates since I found them for dirt cheap and figured why not, there's a lot of black in the engine bay and might as well add colour, or resell them.

Here's the video of the test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBtj3e9H40c

Yes the rear brakes are squeaky, using the ebrake as well since there appears one of the hardlines at the abs unit didn't seal right and is leaking slightly which let in air and resulted in a brake pedal that feels like stepping on a marshmallow

If you listen closely you'll notice it stall right after the pull. Right after that it started to stall after a second or two of running, really rough/lumpy idle, would occasionally stall on idle and was loosing vacuum. I though I managed to mess something up already and was panicking for a little bit. I started taking off the intercooler to find the suspected vacuum leak and as I was pulling it to separate it from the throttle body hose, the hose just slid off the throttle body. Looks like I didn't tighten the clamp enough and popped off when the engine actually made some boost. Crisis averted :sweatdrop:

With that issue out of the way, It's back to running perfect... ish. After another quick drive or two I noticed something smelled like raw fuel, quickly checked on the motor and it looks like I have a leaky injector. So todays tasks are to fix the leak, fix the brakes, and change out the TGV assemblies for the deletes.

As it stood yesterday before I started taking it apart again.

This has gotten me really excited and I'm hoping that I can get the drive to get everything finished on this project nice and quick.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TGV deletes are on, and the leaky injector has received a new o-ring and is no longer leaky, on the other hand one of the injectors on the drivers side didn't seat properly and is now leaking :bang: not my lucky day today apparently.

The brakes are left for another day as well.

Oh and I put shiny poo poo on my intercooler, aka gold heat reflective tape. Not entirely sure how good it actually is but it looks pretty and reflects some light behind the intake manifold making it slightly easier to see back there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Also, I may of missed this but what are you planning for a hood?

When are you shooting for actually having this "done"?

Done in "" as I am aware projects often don't fully end but you know what I mean.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For the hood I'm going to have to hack up my stock hood, partly why I put on the new intercooler since I'll have to adapt the hood to where it sits. I could have gone with a turbo Baja hood but the opening looks tiny and the exit of the scoop would probably end up in the wrong place as well.

I've got a 2004 WRX hood scoop, and I've changed my mind and got the bigger STI scoop, just have to go pick it up, not sure of the year at the moment.

I'm shooting for having it mostly finished in the sense that the cabin electricals and everything on the body is all done sometime in June, I got invited to a local car show that's happening in July so I definitely want to have it done before then.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Congrats on getting it running!

I think smelling gas is one of the worst feelings I had piecing back together my Miata. Good luck, mate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should always wear gloves when you're using that exhaust heat wrap; even thin nitrile gloves should keep the fibers out of your skin.

Sounds incredible. I can't wait to see more :)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fixed the other leaky injector, wasn't too bad of a job. As for the wearing gloves with the exhaust wrap, I started with wearing gloves when doing the titanium wrap but took them off since they were making it more difficult and the new stuff was nice to work with, I forgot/ was too lazy to put them on with the fiberglass wrap which was a mistake.

And thanks for the compliments, I'm loving everything about the noise it makes, as my first turbo car I love to hear the intake as the turbo spools and the blow off valve is plenty loud enough for me set as 100% recirc. At this point I wouldn't even care if it was slower than before because the noises it makes just give me a permanent grin :)

Today I managed to relocate my PS reservoir behind the abs unit, gives me some more room in the engine bay to throw in the crawford AOS, and I fixed the brake leak. Also found out why my brakes felt like marshmallow, I managed to put the front calipers on the wrong side :doh: Not sure how I managed to mix that up but because of that the bleeder screws were at the bottom of the calipers which prevented them from being bled properly. That's all fixed now and the Baja has actual brakes again.

I've got some glamour shots of the engine bay that will be posted within a few days or so... ish.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I demand glamour shots.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, my work ethic when it comes to this project isn't exactly crazy, I'm kinda all over the map doing the little things. Didn't help I just worked 12hr shifts this last week so didn't have much time.

Anyway, now that its been a *couple* days, Glamour shots incoming!

First off, the turbo looked kinda chilly so I put on this perrin heat blanket to keep all warmth inside, also have to install the matching heatshield but that'll come after I get the Crawford AOS in so that I don't have to keep taking it off and putting it on.

Here's a full on shot of the engine bay, before I got some silicone couplers to put the intake in the right place. If I was a crazier man, I would keep it this way and just make some holes in the hood.

And once more from the side

And finally with flash with the intake put in place properly.

Now, onto some actual progress. The center gauge pod is completed (ish) I will probably take it off and smooth off the rest of the imperfections but for now it looks presentable and there are more pressing matters to attend to, ie getting it back together to drive around.

Started with doing the hood scoop. Marked it out first and put the splitter that came with the intercooler on to see where would be a good place to cut.

It's a really weird feeling drawing on a perfectly good hood let alone cutting into it. But it must be done.

Using some blocks of wood and tinfoil so that the fiberglass doesn't stick, I put on the first layer of fiberglass that will blend in the hoodscoop for a nice OEM look.

Gap is set at 3.25" so it should be plenty for the intercooler. I'm off to the states for the weekend so probably won't be another update until mid next week.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I started making an a pillar pod to house the other two gauges I have. Was thinking of the steering column but I don't want it to get too busy in that small area.

The bottom is a little twisted away from the driver while the top is a more towards. It's easy to see in pictures but when you're sitting in the car it looks perfect. Don't know if I want to redo it again to get a straight angle or if I should leave it this way, It's not noticeable when you're in the car, but I will always know it's a little off...

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Nice build, but when you blow out the AEM wideband, I suggest getting an Innovative or Zeitronix wideband. :)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Are they really that prone to failure? I remember searching when I was buying it and it seemed to get good reviews. :( And I remember there a bunch of very vocal people arguing against the Innovative, Surprisingly haven't heard much of Zeitronix.

How long should I expect the AEM to work before I have to start shopping for a different wideband?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They all probably use the same sensor anyway. When I was at a dyno shop we'd have to get a new one every few weeks, and it was something like bosch sensor for a vw that we were getting from autozone.

How long it lasts depends on how close you have it to the engine/turbo. Farther back in the exhaust stream it will last longer.

Also your sandwich adapter should be delivered by now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AEM's are solid. The software actually works and you don't need to calibrate the sensor. It is slightly inaccurate; however, I have heard way more horror stories with the LC-1.

You're running the AEM UEGO, right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yup, it's the aem uego, Boston motorsports had a Christmas sale or something and it was cheaper than buying a used one and no risk so I was happy.

And yeah Jamal, I got both the gaskets and the sandwich plate :) had to wait until 4 for the ups truck to show up there so I got to explore Neche for an hour, exciting.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
I have had several vehicles with an Innovate. They are picky about grounding but very reliable if you get them wired properly. The sensor is like $50 after tax at any auto parts store (Bosch 17014) and lasted about 30-40,000 miles before it started to degrade even on my turbo car. I have a couple friends that swear by the AEM because it has no separate controller and requires no calibration, but honestly I only had to calibrate my Innovate like once a year and it is very easy to do with a laptop or an XD-16 programmable gauge. The sensor for the AEM is more like $70-80 and is harder to find. I guess I am saying that I would recommend the Innovate, but really it is all up to personal preference.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
Everyone will have their own opinions. But, AEM electronics have always seemed cheap and the fuel pressure gauge I had worked for about an hour before dying and when ripped apart just looked and felt seriously cheap. They also have weak 0-5 volt drivers that not all data-logging equipment agrees with. Though if its working now and is just being used as a gauge its hard to go wrong. Everyone's projects here always impress me, all that effort with heat wrap. Wish I wasn't so sick of working on projects to bother with the not necessary but nice to have mods and details.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ultimateforce posted:

That's exactly how they come from the factory. It's also complete motor killing poo poo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Finally back home, the misses loves shopping but with everyone having fathers day sales this weekend I think I ended up getting the most stuff

Picked up everything I had sitting in Neche, and here are the shinny new gaskets and oil sandwich plate.

Also finished wrapping the headers. It's quite a bit of overkill but it looks pretty and it should hold the heat in like a champ.
First is the progress that I forgot to post about, individually wrapping the headers was a bitch of a job, wasn't particularly difficult but threading the entire wrap between the runners got old fast, especially where the collector is :suicide:

One down.

Two down.

*Magic*

All wrapped

Being a fan of overkill I wanted to wrap the pairs of runners together as well as individually but I ran out of wrap, so I got some more and finished it today when I got back so that I can now finally throw on the aftermarket exhaust.

And that is all for now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Alright, where did I leave off...

Oh right, Exhaust.

Old vs New

Stains on the driveway from the rear main seal leak on the Altima, will have to eventually figure out a way to clean that up.

After the exhaust was on, it started to drizzle and I was visited by some little ducklings :3:

Back to automotive content, the new one is on and drat if the Baja doesn't sound like a murderer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQEQ9ShDW9c

Also played around with the hood scoop some more. Had the redo what I had before since the openings weren't completely even on both sides with respect to the normal hood line, played with fiberglass and bondo and so far it's sitting like this now. Few more coats, lots of sanding, and figuring out a good way to build in the splitter is what awaits me.

Once I got tired of working on the hood, took a break and ran all the wiring for the gauges and setup two power sources in the cabin. One is straight from the battery to an 6 pole auxiliary fuse box, and the other is switched by the ignition via a relay to another 6 pole auxiliary fuse box. Both lines are properly fused at the battery. Wired in the gauges according to what their directions say and voila, they work!

Up to this point I haven't actually tested the sensors so it was a relief to know I wasn't sold any bunk gauges.

Once all the gauges were working, I bolted in two seats and took it for a spin. Oh My God, does this thing ever pull, it just throws me back in the seat. I think I'm in love. And the noises it makes, such variety, it's like listening to an automotive orchestra :allears: After coming back I noticed an injector was leaking again.:argh: I took it apart the next day and I think my fuel rail is really finicky, took two tries to get it seat correctly, the o-rings are new and they are in perfect shape so I don't know why that one injector is a challenge to get seated.

Either way, I can't permanently run around with a cat-back so I tried getting an exhaust shop to adapt my old cat-back but apparently they couldn't figure it out. They sent me a piston ring across town to hunt for a flange and when I got there they told me to find a better exhaust shop, with a recommendation from them I have to call around on Monday to book an appointment.

In the meantime, I added this with a matching one on the other side, since we all know stickers are +10hp a piece.

Also put in the new airbag cover for the steering wheel. The car is starting to finally have something that resembles an interior

And that is all for now. More updates in the coming weeks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, it is really coming together. I want to drive it so bad.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Every time I see a Baja in the wild now I think "oh man Subaru, you could have made that car so much more with an STI edition".

This project is so drat cool and the sound that engine makes is amazing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Back to automotive content, the new one is on and drat if the Baja doesn't sound like a murderer

:fap:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Murder is an understatement. The Baja sounds rad as hell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jesus that scoop looks huge.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Part of the fun of driving a turbo Subaru is having the giant scoop sticking into your view. It's like a big middle finger to "stylists" and "aerodynamics engineers," whatever they are.

In fact you can trace the moral decline of Subaru from the reduced prominence and size of their hood scoops. At their apex, they added roof scoops in order to sustain their lust.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Big rear end scoops are definitely the defining characteristic of turbo subies, such a shame the new Forrester xt doesn't get a scoop :( I've always wanted a scoop, And surprisingly this one isn't even bigger than the 05 sti scoop, nor the new 08+ scoops.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Oh, my, god. look at that scoop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Christ, I cannot wait to hear this thing under load.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh, I can guarantee that it sounds orgasmic. Tried taking a video with my friend following behind when I went to put some fuel into it, you can somewhat hear it but his exhaust/intake noises are mixed into the video. Will have to figure out a way to get good quality sound. Also will post up the dyno run video when it's getting tuned in about a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C5Bk4n6fQ

But back to some progress. Sanded down the hood scoop some more, took pictures at various points of the work so it may jump around with progress, though I'm not sure if it's really visible in the pictures. Either way, these will give you guys some idea of how it looks on the car and I think it'll look fairly sharp once it's painted.

Today I managed to get started on the hood splitter. It's just roughly fiberglassed in, but it looks like it works and when I put the hood on, it's only about 1-2mm off towards the turbo, front back seating is dead on so I say close enough. With some rubber molding around the edges should seal everything perfectly. The drivers side is blocked off and shaped towards the intercooler, for the turbo side I was thinking of keeping it open to give some airflow to passively cool that area. Good idea? Eventually I'll track down some black fine mesh and put it right before the splitter to stop various crap from flying in there.

Looks kinda nice without a hood. (yeah the bumper is held on by a few clips and some twist wire. It's quick and dirty since I've got some more I have to finish underneath the bumper and I just needed it on to drive around without being hassled)

Also stopped by where I have the other altima, going to steal what I need off of and scrap it sometime this week.

And finished off the night with a nice cruise in a friends S2.

Hopefully more updates soon!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you look at the stock Subaru splitter you'll notice that it has a downdraft section that points directly at the turbo housing, so doing the same thing probably isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure how much it actually does, but it can't hurt to provide some extra airflow to the engine bay that isn't going to the intercooler first.

Car is looking good :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't want to critique your awesome work so far but in this picture the scoop looks a little uneven. Is this still in progress? Will you be adding more fiberglass?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I noticed that too. I was using the 18-55 kit lens at full wide and I wasn't dead center when I shot it, cropped and rotated in post. I think it might be a weird result of that, in person I didn't notice it and I checked measurements between the regular hood line and the raised and lowered sections of the scoop before putting on the Bondo and it matched when I re-did the fiberglass the first time.

I don't think the hood would warp either, I'll double check my measurements tomorrow to be sure, but I know in person it looks good.

Edit: I definitely think it's the perspective on that photo. Weird how it came out that way. Snapped a pic with my phone quickly the other day and it looks much more even in this one, measurements confirm that it's pretty drat close, off by maybe 1/16 - 1/8, it's kinda hard to get a good quick measurement since the sides slope out.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 27, 2013

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Bajaha posted:

Alright, where did I leave off...

Oh right, Exhaust.

Holy fuckballs. That is what a Subaru is supposed to sound like. This is awesome and you are awesome.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

^ Thanks!

So finally the cat-back exhaust is put on, was easiest for the shop to cut off the old flange and weld a section of pipe to fit in between the DP and CB. It still has a really nice exhaust note, albeit much quieter, with the added bonus of not setting off the alarms of parked cars. Plus all the intake noises are much more pronounced so it's interesting to cruise around and listen to all the noises the motor makes on and off throttle.

I'll actually post some pics and some videos later on, but for now, that's all I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got a lot of updating to do, but just a quick sneak peek for now:

Got the Baja back from painting Friday morning, which left me only a few hours before I was dropping it off at the car show. I quickly put the rest of the interior and a few parts of the exterior back together and then wen't for a quick detail. Of course it had to rain on Friday pretty much all day so after I threw the parts on I made my way to my friends garage where I could detail it out of the rain. When I arrived there it stopped raining, go figure.

Well, it got dropped off at Driven, and yesterday I spent most of the day at the show. There were some really nice cars and it was cool to talk to most of the owners but the show lasted for 9 hours, I was only there for 6, and to tell the truth it got kinda boring after a while, just a tiring day at the end of it. But I left the show smiling like a fool, the Baja won Best in Show Import Modified!

I'll write up a more detailed post later on in the week... probably.

• Locked thread