Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I've never been comfortable with it. There's also a triangular shape to the left of the "1", though, and the "4" doesn't look much like a 4. On its side, the whole thing looked more like an "S".

, but with more rounded serifs. It strikes me more as a distinctive corporate logo than a backwards "41".

Maybe I am just seeing things. :sigh:

Ed: I don't doubt that it's NYC, or that the "74" is distinctive. I just don't like the "41" interpretation of the other figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Deteriorata posted:

Ed: I don't doubt that it's NYC, or that the "74" is distinctive. I just don't like the "41" interpretation of the other figure.

I don't have any other interpretations myself, but just wanted to say I agree with this. I think it's NY, I see the 74, but I have never been on board with that being a backwards, sorta-kinda 41. I don't know about the S though...

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
I guess I'm on board with it maybe not being 41, but if it's not 41 I doubt there's anything else it'll look more like than a 41. Either it's a backwards wavy 41, or I'd say it's probably nothing :confused:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
god if it is on ile ste helene, the odds of it being still there with all the demo and renovations there is like zero :(...I mean there's what like 150 000 people on foot there thia weekend? :(

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

NYC

I've been staring at picture 12 for a while, and spotted something else. The backwards "41" that people claim does not actually seem to be that. There's an extra shape to the left of it, and when combined, it all makes more of a stylized "S", like a corporate logo of some kind:

(Again, this is with the picture rotated with the top to the left)

As usual, I don't know if I'm just seeing things, so others working on the picture please take a look and offer your own opinions.
I know Preiss said there isn't one in Central Park, but when you point it out, my first thought is the Central Park swan boats. Seems a bit subtle to be a general city clue, we should keep it in mind if anyone narrows it down to specific directions.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

stab posted:

god if it is on ile ste helene, the odds of it being still there with all the demo and renovations there is like zero :(...I mean there's what like 150 000 people on foot there thia weekend? :(

There's already a ton of people there today with the time trials.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I know Preiss said there isn't one in Central Park, but when you point it out, my first thought is the Central Park swan boats. Seems a bit subtle to be a general city clue, we should keep it in mind if anyone narrows it down to specific directions.

How about Fort Washington and the Hudson greenway? That silhouette I spotted in the wave (that no one else seems to see) could very well refer to the Little Red Lighthouse, and the "gray giant" could be the George Washington bridge, as it's referred to in the book.

Henry Hudson initially sailed for the Muscovy Company, then later for the Dutch East India Company, so he could fit the verse.

The rest of it isn't making any sense yet, as I've just started this line of thinking.

As usual, I reserve the right to be completely insane. I'm tossing this stuff out as fodder for others' imaginations.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cask 9 - Montreal / Verse 2 Variant

Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours

To complement the verse, how about Alexander Calder's Man, originally titled Three Disks:

I only did a quick search. There may be pictures out there that provide a better angle and match, but it is right next to the lake/neckline on Ile Sainte-Helene. Incidentally, the area between the lake and the Calder sculpture was the location of The Netherlands' expo pavilion, tying into the theme nation of the image.

Except that in 1980 the sculpture was on the other side of the island.

See here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Plan_souvenir_officiel_Expo_67_%28recompos%C3%A9%29.jpg

It is south of Swan Lake. I believe it was moved in 1992.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
New Orleans
You guys seem to have difficulties finding the "giant pole".
Since the author apparently was a fan of wordplay, have you tried looking for a pole as in "a person from Poland"? Maybe there's a statue or building named after a Pole?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ruebennase posted:

New Orleans
You guys seem to have difficulties finding the "giant pole".
Since the author apparently was a fan of wordplay, have you tried looking for a pole as in "a person from Poland"? Maybe there's a statue or building named after a Pole?

The main character in A Streetcar Named Desire (set in the French Quarter) is Polish. Doubt that is worth anything though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO/CASK 1

LIVE REPORT

Very doubtful about Russian Hill. Pics to follow this evening but IMHO nothing lines up with the picture.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NYC

OK, not far from Washington Park and the grey giant, there's Bennett Park. Bennett Park was named for James Gordon Bennett, a famous publisher ("him of hard words"). He worked for two papers (the Charleston Courier and the New York Courier and Enquirer), before founding a third (the New York Herald).

So it's a possibility for "The natives still speak Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols." It's a stretch, but everything associated with this is a stretch thus far.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Boxcar posted:

San Francisco / Verse 2
In Golden Gate Park, there's a statue of Robert Burns who wrote the poem "A Red, Red Rose" that opens with "O my Luve's like a red, red rose/ That's newly sprung in June". This ties in with the image containing references to June, Golden Gate Park, and the rose.

Looking up a street with Burns' name (the "namesake" reference in Verse 2 perhaps), I found Burns Place that appears to be an alley between 11th and 12th streets - in fact, it ends half-way before it hits 12th ("In the middle of twenty-one" from Verse 2).

About half a mile from Burns Place, there's the San Francisco Jewelry Center that opened in 1982 according to their website - the place looks enormous ("At the place where jewels abound").

Also, a wikipedia entry on bogle (a gnome-ish creature mentioned with fairies in a Burns' poem) mentions the word "bocan" as a cognate of "bogle" and "puck" (a fairy). There's a Bocana St. in SF that is between Bernal Heights Park and Holly Park.

Edit: Also, just noticed the barred window/door in the image looks more like something from Folsom than Alcatraz (there's a video called "the other side of folsom prison" on vimeo that shows them decently - http://vimeo.com/4560681) - this fits into Bernal Heights Park being bordered by Folsom St. The yin yang symbol in the image may refer to a mountain or hill as wiki mentions each side of the yin yang are sometimes explained as the sunny and shady side of a mountain. The A on her tunic might stand for Alabama St that touches the park a small bit. The stretched out SF image on page 26 of this thread even kind of resembles http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/6808885070/
1) There's also a rose garden and a Shakespeare garden, which are far more likely to tie into the rose theme.
2) I can't imagine that a 100 ft long alley in an old industrial district has any relation to anything.
3) Same goes for the jewelry center. There are a million of them in the city.
4) Folsom Prison is over 100 miles away and hardly anyone knows what it looks like.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.
Houston

I know exactly where the rock sculpture in the foreground of this picture is.

If the weather isn't too bad, I might get a picture of that location tomorrow. That might help.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Montreal, Verse 2

fanpantstic posted:

Except that in 1980 the sculpture was on the other side of the island.

See here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Plan_souvenir_officiel_Expo_67_%28recompos%C3%A9%29.jpg

It is south of Swan Lake. I believe it was moved in 1992.

Other side of the lake, you mean? The sculpture's former location still puts it directly next to the lake/neckline from the picture and even closer to the Place des nations/runes from the image/rows from the verse.

To keep looking at Verse 2, the Three Stand Watch might also be the three fountains in the lake, although I have no idea how long those remained after the expo.

Moved or not, I find the symbolism on the sculpture to be compelling.

Edit: Location(s) of the sculpture on both expo and modern maps:

Edit 2: I'm working on a better match with the pictures that are available, but I can't stop seeing the mouth and nose in the sculpture.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 9, 2013

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

TheLastManStanding posted:

1) There's also a rose garden and a Shakespeare garden, which are far more likely to tie into the rose theme.
2) I can't imagine that a 100 ft long alley in an old industrial district has any relation to anything.
3) Same goes for the jewelry center. There are a million of them in the city.
4) Folsom Prison is over 100 miles away and hardly anyone knows what it looks like.

2 + 3 are correct - re-edited my post to show my Burns Place thought to be nonsensical due to poor thinking. Nothing to do with anything. Mentioned in the initial post I thought they were red herrings - they're not even that, just me being dumb.

1 - The Burns poem is just another connection to consider - it's one of his most famous and ties in not only to the rose in the picture, but also to all the June references and is in Golden Gate Park. That's three connections it has versus only two for the rose and Shakespeare gardens (and doesn't use esoteric references). There's no reason the other two are more likely if just a connection to "rose" is your evidence. Burns seems to be the only one with an extra connection to the image, definitely making it at least equally likely.

The rest depends on if Verse 2 is connected to the image.

4 - Folsom prison may be far away, but Folsom St borders the north of Bernal Heights Park and the window/door more closely resembles one from there than anything else I've seen. Searching for iron, old, stone, and barred window/door images in SF comes up with nothing. The images definitely can have references to surrounding streets - so maybe this is one. Then the A on the tunic could be Alabama. If the image was better, I may even be able to argue that Stoneman St at Bernal Heights Park is represented in the image by a man carved out of the rock from the bottom left of the window - but lots of stuff can look slightly human and that stuff could be anything.

Bernal Heights Park ties into the verse through Bocana St as I mentioned (obscure reference to fairies and gnomes) and the park is bounded (abounded wordplay maybe) by jewels, Esmeralda Ave on both sides of it (not much of a stretch), and it's where friends meet in the afternoon (perhaps too literal).

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 9, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Boxcar posted:

1 - The Burns poem is just another connection to consider - it's one of his most famous and ties in not only to the rose in the picture, but also to all the June references and is in Golden Gate Park. That's three connections it has versus only two for the rose and Shakespeare gardens (and doesn't use esoteric references). There's no reason the other two are more likely if just a connection to "rose" is your evidence. Burns seems to be the only one with an extra connection to the image, definitely making it at least equally likely.

Shakespeare is esoteric? I'm pretty sure "A rose by any other name" is one of Shakespeare's most famous lines, one which everyone knows. Plus everyone in San Francisco knows where the Shakespeare garden is. The name Robert Burns is far more obscure; I've never heard of him and doing a google search I only recognized one of his works.

There's also this window at the center of the garden, which (other than the bars) matches the one we're looking for.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Boxcar posted:

Bernal Heights Park ties into the verse through Bocana St as I mentioned (obscure reference to fairies and gnomes) and the park is bounded (abounded wordplay maybe) by jewels, Esmeralda Ave on both sides of it (not much of a stretch), and it's where friends meet in the afternoon (perhaps too literal).
Bernal Heights, along with Twin Peaks, Corona Heights, Grand View Park, the east side of Mount Davidson, and quite a few other peaks, are exposed bedrock. You couldn't bury anything in them.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Shakespeare is esoteric? I'm pretty sure "A rose by any other name" is one of Shakespeare's most famous lines, one which everyone knows. Plus everyone in San Francisco knows where the Shakespeare garden is. The name Robert Burns is far more obscure; I've never heard of him and doing a google search I only recognized one of his works.

There's also this window at the center of the garden, which (other than the bars) matches the one we're looking for.

It wasn't that the Shakespeare line is esoteric, it's that Robert Burns isn't very esoteric either and fits equally as well as an option since June is also included in his poem. Burn's poem is famous, just not nearly as much as the Shakespeare line, but in trade off, you get a June reference. Robert Burns is an internationally famous poet - as big as any out there besides a few.

I would also say that window doesn't match that well with how close the solved puzzle images match with their real world objects. The stones surrounding the window in the puzzle are much larger & then the bars are missing in the garden window.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 9, 2013

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Bernal Heights, along with Twin Peaks, Corona Heights, Grand View Park, the east side of Mount Davidson, and quite a few other peaks, are exposed bedrock. You couldn't bury anything in them.

Dogs dig up chicken parts from rituals in Bernal Heights Park http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/animal-blood-pentagram-found-in-bernal-heights-par/nDZqB/, so it can't be impossible to bury something.

If you can bury a goat skull, you can bury a casque.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 9, 2013

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
MONTREAL

I've seen some other posts point out the clearly intentional letter-like shapes in the man's hair below his left ear, but I don't think anybody has deciphered them yet; I apologize if I've repeated anybody's work. Okay, one of the hairs strongly looks like a backwards or upside-down three, so I flipped the image and produced this:

Next, I outlined all of the hairs that I thought were clearly supposed to be parts of letters or numbers in red, producing this:

Okay, that first number looks a lot like a 73 to me. Now, this next step definitely reeks of confirmation bias bullshit and I fully expect some people to roll their eyes. First, I finished off what I believed to be a 5 in blue, and then, after looking up the coordinates of Montreal (hence the confirmation bias), I managed to dig a vague 4 out of the hair between the 3 and the 5:

Hence, the longitude and latitude of Montreal. I don't trust that 45 at all, but I found the 73 before I knew a 73 was one of the numbers I wanted to find. That said, I'll confess that I'm totally convinced that this image simply has to belong to Montreal based on the exact match to that bizarre Legeater sculpture, and so the existence of Montreal's coordinates in this image seems inevitable to me, whether these are the numbers we're looking for or not. If this is the case, though, I don't know what to make of the apparent 39 in the man's bangs.

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
New Orleans
We made a trip to the park today, and I put together a little album.
http://imgur.com/a/Hfu95

Of particular note is the Flagpole, installed in the 1920's as a memorial to WWI its a pretty serious flagpole, and sits on a raised ~16" granite step. Unfortunately it looks like a sidewalk may have been poured around it, so if the casque is buried at its foot, then we may be out of luck.

The "flying" figure is titled the South Wind and installed in 1974. It looks kind of like the jockey but is definitely not a prefect match.
The dog figure by Diana/Artemis looks pretty close to the dog head, and is balancing on a ball.
We're not sure how old the big sundial thing is but its a pretty substantial pole too.

Which one of you was this by the pond, with the metal detector and tactical trowel?

Did you turn up anything?

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.
San Francisco on-scene update:

- Stern Grove is probably not it
- Japanese Tea Garden is not it
- Rose Garden is not it (though it is spectacular this time of year)
- Chinese Pavillion MIGHT be something, but didn't find more clues.

We're almost done with our day, full report later. Won't get to Bernal Heights today.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

ohnorobot posted:

New Orleans

Of particular note is the Flagpole, installed in the 1920's as a memorial to WWI its a pretty serious flagpole, and sits on a raised ~16" granite step. Unfortunately it looks like a sidewalk may have been poured around it, so if the casque is buried at its foot, then we may be out of luck.

Dude. Dude. That flagpole is at the center of a bunch of concentric rings, much like the minute-hand "pole" in the illustration. Okay, the second hand pointing to the three is a weird anomaly that no one has explained yet. Now hear me out, what if you:

1. Stood right at the flagpole and faced Preservation Hall, which should be your 12 o'clock from the image.
2. Look to your 3 o'clock.
3. Does that point you at one of the four sub-divided grassy areas inside of the larger circle but outside of the smaller circle? Well, buddy, take a "giant step" onto that grassy patch, because that is exactly where the second-hand is pointing.
4. Dig that poo poo up!

Admittedly, I'm assuming that the concentric circle pattern of sidewalks existed in 1982. But if they did, holy poo poo, is it not perfect?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ohnorobot posted:

New Orleans
We made a trip to the park today, and I put together a little album.
http://imgur.com/a/Hfu95

The "flying" figure is titled the South Wind and installed in 1974. It looks kind of like the jockey but is definitely not a prefect match.
The dog figure by Diana/Artemis looks pretty close to the dog head, and is balancing on a ball.
We're not sure how old the big sundial thing is but its a pretty substantial pole too.

Which one of you was this by the pond, with the metal detector and tactical trowel?

Did you turn up anything?

Don't worry about the jockey not being a perfect match. The Chicago cask which was found in 1984 had several close but not perfect matches as well.

Where's the flagpole on Google Maps? I'm having a hard time finding it. Edit: found it.

Corek fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2013

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
The flagpole is actually on the south side of the park

and the walking path around it extends out into the 3 o'clock-ish position from north.

ohnorobot fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 9, 2013

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit- this thread moves quick! On that map above, which way is the giant step?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp, no Houston detour for Dr. Money this week. That trip home ended up being exhausting as all hell once I actually got there. :smith:

I didn't even manage to start the return trip in the amount of time I had originally planned.

Maybe next weekend I can make a quick trip over to Houston and go scout around (or tomorrow if I'm feeling up to it).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 9, 2013

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Here's a 1930s WPA article about that flagpole. Apparently back then it was surrounded by oak trees planted by visting foreign generals.

http://cdm16313.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/LWP/id/6912/rec/3

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Comstar posted:

edit- this thread moves quick! On that map above, which way is the giant step?

If the giant step is toward Preservation Hall(which is not nearby, although it is near the Louis Armstrong Park) it is to the northeast, which does line up with one of the delineated grass quarters. 3 o'clock from that is another grass quarter.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
NEW ORLEANS

Okay, here is an illustration of what I am saying. The cask would be buried in one of the four subdivided lawn quadrants within the outer sidewalk ring. I pointed to one of them in your photo, but of course, I'm not sure which of the four it is! The way you would determine it, if my hunch is correct, is by standing at the base of the flagpole, facing in the general direction of Preservation Hall (I'm aware that you can't see it from there), and choosing the lawn quadrant on your right (or 3 o'clock). That is exactly where the second-hand is pointing in the image! Each of those lawn quadrants is a literal "giant step" away from the "giant pole!"

If those sidewalks looked about like that in 1982, that is where that fuckin' cask is buried! The signs are right! Every clue is explained! I'm a crazy person!

e: It is also possible that the second-hand is just there to look like a "shadow" cast by the minute-hand's "pole," helping the viewers understand that the minute-hand represents the flag pole. If that is the case, you'd step to the grassy quadrant in the direction of Preservation Hall. This might actually make more sense, as there are literally two arrows pointing to the word "PRESERVATION" in the image.

ee: That said, my gut is telling me you step to your 3 o'clock. The thing I really like about that is that the circle literally falls into the grassy mid-section of the concentric circles, pointing exactly where you are supposed to dig.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 9, 2013

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Cask 9 - Montreal, Verse 2

I have little more on the Place des nations and verse 2. I think it generally fits into the spirit of using the image to get you to the general location and the verse to guide you in specifically.

I think the legeater is the direct reference to Montreal, just as the outline of the state of Ohio for the Cleveland cask. Knowing that, we can begin to make sense of the other imagery that points us toward the 67 Expo. I'm sold on his hat being an outline of St. Helen's Island, especially after looking at some of the official maps printed for the Expo. The island has changed throughout the years, but you can even start matching up some of the distinct bumps on the right side of his hat to St Helen's Island. I imagine they printed a shitload of maps for the Expo, and it's not a stretch that the author would have used official Expo material

On the Western end of the island, you have the Calder sculpture, the lake, and the Place des nations. If you follow by matching locations with the image you get:

The legeater - A clue to get us to Montreal.
The 67 - a clue that the cask is in Montreal in an area related to the expo.
The checkerboard - Racing reference to the course on Notre Dame Island, which was also an Expo island. (Has the outline of the course changed over the years?)
The Hat - St. Helen's Island, an Expo island.
Netherlands Theme - The Netherlands pavilion.
Hands and nose - Calder's initials and the sculpture.
The neck outline - Swan Lake on St. Helen Island.
The "stairs" blow his neckline - Place des nations pavillion
The Runes - The logo for the 67 Montreal Expo, which are in the design at the Place des nations.

Putting these on the map, you get:

At the place where jewels abound - The place where the cask is has...
Fifteen rows down to the ground - 15 wide rows from top to ground
In the middle of twenty-one - 21 stairs on each side of the rows
From end to end - The length of the grandstand
Only three stand watch - Three sets of stands
As the sound of friends - Expo logo represents "Friendship Around the world" according to the official guidebook
Fills the afternoon hours - Around the world
Here is a sovereign people - Place des nations
Who build palaces to shelter - The awnings at the Place des nations?
Their heads for a night! - The logos are people, their heads pointing the direction?
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
- The expo logo is made up of the earliest known drawings of a human, interlocked, and then duplicated in a circle
Near this site. - Near the Expo logo

The Place des nations:

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

justsomedude posted:

NEW ORLEANS

Okay, here is an illustration of what I am saying. The cask would be buried in one of the four subdivided lawn quadrants within the outer sidewalk ring. I pointed to one of them in your photo, but of course, I'm not sure which of the four it is! The way you would determine it, if my hunch is correct, is by standing at the base of the flagpole, facing in the general direction of Preservation Hall (I'm aware that you can't see it from there), and choosing the lawn quadrant on your right (or 3 o'clock). That is exactly where the second-hand is pointing in the image! Each of those lawn quadrants is a literal "giant step" away from the "giant pole!"

If those sidewalks looked about like that in 1982, that is where that fuckin' cask is buried! The signs are right! Every clue is explained! I'm a crazy person!

e: It is also possible that the second-hand is just there to look like a "shadow" cast by the minute-hand's "pole," helping the viewers understand that the minute-hand represents the flag pole. If that is the case, you'd step to the grassy quadrant in the direction of Preservation Hall. This might actually make more sense, as there are literally two arrows pointing to the word "PRESERVATION" in the image.

ee: That said, my gut is telling me you step to your 3 o'clock. The thing I really like about that is that the circle literally falls into the grassy mid-section of the concentric circles, pointing exactly where you are supposed to dig.

I'm gonna try this out on monday.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Merlot Brougham posted:

I have little more on the Place des nations and verse 2. I think it generally fits into the spirit of using the image to get you to the general location and the verse to guide you in specifically.

I think the legeater is the direct reference to Montreal, just as the outline of the state of Ohio for the Cleveland cask. Knowing that, we can begin to make sense of the other imagery that points us toward the 67 Expo. I'm sold on his hat being an outline of St. Helen's Island, especially after looking at some of the official maps printed for the Expo. The island has changed throughout the years, but you can even start matching up some of the distinct bumps on the right side of his hat to St Helen's Island. I imagine they printed a shitload of maps for the Expo, and it's not a stretch that the author would have used official Expo material

On the Western end of the island, you have the Calder sculpture, the lake, and the Place des nations. If you follow by matching locations with the image you get:

The checkerboard - Racing reference to the course on Notre Dame Island, which was also an Expo island. (Has the outline of the course changed over the years?)
The Runes - The logo for the 67 Montreal Expo, which are in the design at the Place des nations.

As the sound of friends - Expo logo represents "Friendship Around the world" according to the official guidebook
Their heads for a night! - The logos are people, their heads pointing the direction?
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
- The expo logo is made up of the earliest known drawings of a human, interlocked, and then duplicated in a circle

The Place des nations:

the race course hasnt changed a bit.

also crazy thing I just noticed (can google maps confirm?) but there looks to be four ridges near the top of the dudes hat. can those ridges not be a mountain, but actually the outline of "le monstre" (its the wooden rollercoaster at La Ronde) and is still there to this day (and its an awesome coaster too! :) )

edit: cause if that theory works; another thing to transpose but if we use the dudes head as a map will give us compass bearings, just like that awesome theory for new orleans on this page (if I were a N.O goon id be running there imo)

stab fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 9, 2013

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
I talked to someone who knows land surveying, he said a good, non invasive way to find something underground without digging or dragging in some kind of sonar, you build a probe: just a long thin "T" shaped length of metal that you shove into the ground till you hit something solid.

ohnorobot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 9, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Merlot Brougham posted:

The Place des nations:

I like what you have so far with St. Helen's Island and definitely find it intriguing. But I think you're in error here in this picture. Look again at the sigil, specifically at the P part of it. The P you're pulling from the Expo logo is different from the P on the gnome's badge. His P is like a backwards 4, with the angle on the right being like 45 degrees. Yours looks much more like a P and the angle is (roughly) twice as large. I had thought I'd seen the rune-shapes in a few other places around Montreal but you have to be careful on seeing it correctly.

I'm also not sure I agree with the legeater being a general symbol of Montreal. How famous could it be? I think the general-outline map of Ohio, or the silhouette of the tower/use of the Chicago water tower in the windmill are certainly examples of well-known established landmarks being used for general location, but the legeater isn't the kind of thing someone could recognize and go "hey, it's Montreal!", is it?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

CronoGamer posted:

I like what you have so far with St. Helen's Island and definitely find it intriguing. But I think you're in error here in this picture. Look again at the sigil, specifically at the P part of it. The P you're pulling from the Expo logo is different from the P on the gnome's badge. His P is like a backwards 4, with the angle on the right being like 45 degrees. Yours looks much more like a P and the angle is (roughly) twice as large. I had thought I'd seen the rune-shapes in a few other places around Montreal but you have to be careful on seeing it correctly.

I'm also not sure I agree with the legeater being a general symbol of Montreal. How famous could it be? I think the general-outline map of Ohio, or the silhouette of the tower/use of the Chicago water tower in the windmill are certainly examples of well-known established landmarks being used for general location, but the legeater isn't the kind of thing someone could recognize and go "hey, it's Montreal!", is it?

How do you feel about the Calder sculpture?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

CronoGamer posted:

I never noticed it or heard of it and I work a street away from it fwiw. buuutttt its around an anglo institution that was known to cater to the elite, the bourgeoisie and the writers so again it might have definetely been something that caught the authors eyes...

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Merlot Brougham posted:

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting

The Place des nations:

Great job! The place looks suitably abandonded that the cask would not be disturbed much. I think the lines around the nose are a much better outline of the island than the hat is, with the nose representing the park that used to be at the center of the island. I believe a similar theory for Montreal was raised earlier. As also suggested before, the bumps on the hat might represent Mount Royal, which is directly west of the Place des Nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Merlot Brougham posted:

How do you feel about the Calder sculpture?

I definitely agree with the hands possibly being the CA from the sculpture. It's been tough to try and figure out what the weird pose of the fingers is (I've even gone as far as recreating the pose of the fingers with my own hands to try and see what it looked like in real life... that gnome has creepy-long fingers, btw), and although the C and A don't really JUMP out at you, I can definitely see it. I'm not really seeing it as far as the nose goes though.