Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Monni posted:

Thanks for the spoiler, jerk.

Let's get our panties in a bunch about spoilers for a 1.5 years old game. Doesn't SA have some sort of stature of limitations about game spoilers?

Clicking each black block on a phone gets a bit old after a few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

Let's get our panties in a bunch about spoilers for a 1.5 years old game. Doesn't SA have some sort of stature of limitations about game spoilers?

Thinking about people on phones almost makes me want to spoiler each word individually.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think that's one of the main reasons there's a rule against people just using spoilers for entertainment value.

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

Maybe you should have kept reading before posting this.

---

Question: when do reputations/dailies come up? I see the daily vendors in the areas I'm at now, but no dailies associated with them. Do these open up when you hit 50, or start doing Mekab? Is there anything before then?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Warmachine posted:

Only, your example doesn't hold true because the Teddy Bear is a manifestation of pure hate and rage, and without that intent to utterly destroy and smother the victim, you'd never have the Teddy Bear in the first place.

Hate and rage aren't the only emotions associated with the Dark Side; all emotions are. That's why Jedi are so big in the stoic no love stuff, because love becomes passion which becomes jealousy and yadda yadda.

The Dark Side doesn't 'corrupt' people because it's some sort of living conscious energy thing that gets its kicks out of loving with meatbags; it corrupts people because being connected to the Force (and thus, every living thing in the universe) makes you very susceptible to manipulation.

This is why Jedi are often described as having an inspiring aura or why/how Sith feed on fear and such. Once you start in on the spiral of causing fear to drink it in which causes more fear for you to gulp up and so on you've effectively fallen, but it's your psyche being warped by your own actions, not some energy being loving with you.

Personally I think Revan/the Revanites come closest to 'getting it'. The Jedi are shackled by their refusal of emotion and end up gazing into their navels all the time; the Sith are ruled by their emotions and thus devolve into infighting because they fear the other Sith. The solution is a middle path, to acknowledge and harness one's emotions without letting them control you.

quote:

Basically, the universe that the Force exists in is one of absolute morality. There is definitive 'good' and 'evil.' It's like Dungeons and Dragons that way; spells with the Evil descriptor are Evil. Why? Because they draw on Evil power, and to call on that power makes you Evil.

This is from the same source that gave us midichlorians and is just about as dumb, so I feel justified in ignoring it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rascyc posted:

Question: when do reputations/dailies come up? I see the daily vendors in the areas I'm at now, but no dailies associated with them. Do these open up when you hit 50, or start doing Mekab? Is there anything before then?

You can do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis starting at level 47. The one-time planet arcs in those areas don't unlock until 50, but the repeatable quests open up at 47 and give a shitload of XP. Absolutely the fastest way to level from 47 to 50 is to do those quests. You might want to bring a friend, though.

I think I recall that you can start Makeb around that time too, but the intro quest will spoil the ending of your class story so tread carefully!

I'm not sure what level you can start doing Voss heroics for rep but I'd guess 45-ish. If you have a group, that's another source of fast XP too. It's a bit out of the way, so you should probably check the Voss reputation vendor to see if you actually want their poo poo before getting into it.

Black Hole, Section X and heroic space dailies all require level 50.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think I recall that you can start Makeb around that time too, but the intro quest will spoil the ending of your class story so tread carefully!

I can confirm that you can get the Makeb starter quest from your ship's holoterminal at 47. Confused me quite a bit when I clicked it the first time.

quote:

Black Hole, Section X and heroic space dailies all require level 50.

I don't understand the level 50 space missions basically requiring grade 7 gear (I tried it with grade 5 and got reamed every time) but there's basically no way to have it by then unless you buy it off the market. I earned maybe 450-500 fleet comms while levelling (and spent them on stuff like the EMP and torpedo tube) and the grade 7 stuff is something like 350 comms for EACH item. Are you supposed to be doing grey dailies just for the dinky 5 and 7 comms each or something?

Also, I went ahead and purchased the Human unlock so my new Mirialan Sage has something like 193 Presence at level 14, and Qyzen is loving ridiculous. I just have his 'attack' button bound to tilde and I set him on the mobs on Coruscant while I wander around gathering nodes and poo poo. If he's fighting more than two silver mobs I might need to heal him. It's loving ridiculous.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

WarLocke posted:

Also, I went ahead and purchased the Human unlock so my new Mirialan Sage has something like 193 Presence at level 14, and Qyzen is loving ridiculous. I just have his 'attack' button bound to tilde and I set him on the mobs on Coruscant while I wander around gathering nodes and poo poo. If he's fighting more than two silver mobs I might need to heal him. It's loving ridiculous.

Holy poo poo ... Do you only need the human unlock or at least one high level char or something ?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Holy poo poo ... Do you only need the human unlock or at least one high level char or something ?

I have a 50 Juggernaught but none of her companions are maxed out/giving a boost. Unlocking Humans (costs either 500k or 600c, unless you level one to 50) gives an instant +100 Presence to all your characters legacy-wide. IIRC right now Qyzen is getting something like +950 hit points and +35-40 bonus damage (on top of weapon, Str/Aim bonus, etc) from it. He seriously kills the regular merchant guild dudes in like 2-3 hits and has ~2900hp at 14.

Most of his equipment is still stock crap he started with, too. One or two green quest rewards, no orange modded out stuff. Like I said, it's loving ridiculous.

e: Here, I took a pic at 10 after I got him and noticed how badass he was with it:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 8, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

WarLocke posted:

I have a 50 Juggernaught but none of her companions are maxed out/giving a boost. Unlocking Humans (costs either 500k or 600c, unless you level one to 50) gives an instant +100 Presence to all your characters legacy-wide. IIRC right now Qyzen is getting something like +950 hit points and +35-40 bonus damage (on top of weapon, Str/Aim bonus, etc) from it. He seriously kills the regular merchant guild dudes in like 2-3 hits and has ~2900hp at 14.

Most of his equipment is still stock crap he started with, too. One or two green quest rewards, no orange modded out stuff. Like I said, it's loving ridiculous.

e: Here, I took a pic at 10 after I got him and noticed how badass he was with it:

Would those 100 become irrelevant at higher levels ? I have to admit I haven't got a clue how to get presence points.

I'm really tempted to buy the sand-people armor of the cartel market but those sets are so drat expensive :smith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Would those 100 become irrelevant at higher levels ? I have to admit I haven't got a clue how to get presence points.

I'm not sure how it scales but I don't think I've ever seen it on gear (there are stims that increase it but I've never used one). I seem to be getting 2-4 per level up so +100 would be something like 30 levels worth of it? It may taper off later on but at the moment he's the goddamned terminator.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Certain augments have +Presence, along with one of the crafted gear adjectives.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
By the way, what the hell is wrong with companions on the fleet ?

The Republic needs a better medical program against back pains I think. There were 2 companions standing next to each other and looking at each other like that but the guy moved before I could screen it :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Presence is useful til about lvl 35, I'd say. Never buy gear with it, because you're sacrificing another stat, but the bonus you get from human and finishing companion quests makes your early companions hilariously overpowered. I think my new characters start with about 550 presence now, which leads to companions at lvl 10 with 3500 HP or so.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Medullah posted:

Presence is useful til about lvl 35, I'd say. Never buy gear with it, because you're sacrificing another stat, but the bonus you get from human and finishing companion quests makes your early companions hilariously overpowered. I think my new characters start with about 550 presence now, which leads to companions at lvl 10 with 3500 HP or so.

Does that mean that you'd be better off in FPs with the companions than real players ?!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Does that mean that you'd be better off in FPs with the companions than real players ?!

Probably. I had Fess tank while I healed and it ended up being one of my smoother Athiss runs.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Medullah posted:

Does the bonus from level 50 humans stack? Like, if you have three level 50 humans, all companions get +300?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm really tempted to buy the sand-people armor of the cartel market but those sets are so drat expensive :smith:

I'm at level 49 and have 321 presence with the +100 from human unlock, so I'd say it's still very significant!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Simon Draskovic posted:

Does the bonus from level 50 humans stack? Like, if you have three level 50 humans, all companions get +300?

No, only once. You can get presence from unlocking human once, and then each companion you max out affection and complete their storylines grants you another +10.

And as far as companions in flashpoints, at lower levels definitely they rock...but they're also dumb. They'll stand in missile circles, not back off from bosses like the chick in Black Talon, etc. So they're powerful but as soon as any thought is required, other players are (usually) better.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Simon Draskovic posted:

It's a bonus for unlocking human, not for getting a human to 50. Getting your first human to 50 unlocks human species -> you get legacy +100 presence.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't think you ever have an option to use shock in self defense. It usually just goes straight to combat

Flashpoint: The False Emperor right before you fight HK. You can zap Whateverthefuckhisnameis in technical self defense since he both has a cannon aimed at you and a cannon aimed at your fleet outside.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Medullah posted:

No, only once. You can get presence from unlocking human once, and then each companion you max out affection and complete their storylines grants you another +10.

And as far as companions in flashpoints, at lower levels definitely they rock...but they're also dumb. They'll stand in missile circles, not back off from bosses like the chick in Black Talon, etc. So they're powerful but as soon as any thought is required, other players are (usually) better.

To be honest, many pubbies need to be told so to :v:

More seriously, those AoEs can mostly be survived at lower levels anyway.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Could use an invite to Thats no goon, Name: Rahmus

Pex-Corrh
Oct 15, 2011

That thing, you have, I need it.
Like to add my alts Zerá, Isandero, and Nostera to TNG. drat this game is pulling me back in...

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Medullah posted:

They're not "dumb" per se. They just don't have anything in their programming that would trigger a reaction to things in FPs that human players have in their brains.

All you really have to do is use companion commands correctly, since they're technically an extension of your toon, and they can work fine. That said, I wouldn't consider taking my companion over another player since the additional management would be annoying and they're simply not as powerful as the average player (at least not until I get them in full 69s or 72s).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThreeSixXero posted:

Flashpoint: The False Emperor right before you fight HK. You can zap Whateverthefuckhisnameis in technical self defense since he both has a cannon aimed at you and a cannon aimed at your fleet outside.

The US foreign policy definition of self defense; gotcha.

Medullah posted:

You can micromanage your companion's positioning with the "passive" command. They'll start running back to you, then when you hit attack again they'll go straight to the enemy. Yeah its micromanaging but hey thats the price for solo'ing 4 person content.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Star Wars morality is weird, because the Dark Side is just that - the Dark Side. Any lightning you fling requires you tap into your base emotions, and thus into the dark side, which means you're allowing it to flow in and manipulate you, which is what encourages a greater fall. It can be resisted however - this is sort of represented in Gray Jedi, and especially in 'redeemed' Dark Jedi/Sith. Thus why using abilities like Lightning isn't an instant 'you're evil', it's just that you're at risk of corruption, just like the two padawans on Tython who are in love.

But seriously, even the Jedi are morally wrong in a pure morals sort of way - the Light Side is not the Good Side, if you look at the EU (including TOR). They advise removing yourself from any attachments to the world, and would leave innocents to die, because among their emotions that they're supposed to resist is their care for others. To follow the Light Side, according to the Jedi, you should become a sociopath who can feel nothing for anyone or anything, a true Master of the Light Side would not be able to feel disgusted even at the Emperor, because that would be feeling something.

It's shown even more on Tython, where when dealing with the Twi'leks, you're encouraged to not help them, because 'they are not jedi'. The Light Side is 'nicer' than the Dark Side, but both are terrible systems to call moralities. That's why sometimes the neutral choice comes out nicer than the light sided one - such as the Warrior telling Lord on Narshaddaa to keep his business on the down low for neutral, while light makes him abandon his whole life and travel beyond the outer rim, which is almost assuredly death.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The US foreign policy definition of self defense; gotcha.

I always suspected that the Sith had taken over the Senate. :tinfoil:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I always suspected that the Sith had taken over the Senate. :tinfoil:

I would do a google image search for Cheney/Palpatine photoshops but I'm scared of what's probably out there. :gonk:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The ex-Pope

And Cheney

E : vvv Yeah that yields more stuff

quote:

Cheney: "I Was Honored To Be Compared To Darth Vader"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cheney-i-was-honored-to-be-compared-to-darth-vader-2011-9#ixzz2VfqLDNcZ

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 9, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cheney actually went as Darth Vader for halloween every year or something while in the White House.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Don't forget when the Welsh Guard played the Imperial March for a Saudi King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG23bVpw65o

I'm slowly leveling a Counsular alt, and I'm running through some of the political-themed quests you guys are talking about (at least I think I am, I'm trying to avoid spoilers). Last night I had the quest where you're tasked with stealing documents that are being sent to a Senator who wants to ally with the Sith; then you're caught in the act, and faced with two options: Light Side is letting the documents continue on to the Senator, Dark Side is stealing them and giving them to the group trying to expose the Senator. Because I guess stealing is a bigger crime than treason? :psyduck:

Edit: Though you could argue that it's Dark Side because you're Jedi getting involved in politics... If the Senate Page had brought that fact up it would have made more sense, but it wasn't really framed that way.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 9, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda want to get back into this game again to pass some time for the next month or so. I should probably finish out my Agent or Inq on JC...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Simon Draskovic posted:

Don't forget when the Welsh Guard played the Imperial March for a Saudi King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG23bVpw65o

I'm slowly leveling a Counsular alt, and I'm running through some of the political-themed quests you guys are talking about (at least I think I am, I'm trying to avoid spoilers). Last night I had the quest where you're tasked with stealing documents that are being sent to a Senator who wants to ally with the Sith; then you're caught in the act, and faced with two options: Light Side is letting the documents continue on to the Senator, Dark Side is stealing them and giving them to the group trying to expose the Senator. Because I guess stealing is a bigger crime than treason? :psyduck:

Edit: Though you could argue that it's Dark Side because you're Jedi getting involved in politics... If the Senate Page had brought that fact up it would have made more sense, but it wasn't really framed that way.

As you can say as a Jedi. ( and the upper choice in the wheel )

"TRUTH AND JUSTICE IS THE FOUNDATION OF THE REPUBLIC."

"Yes, your Republic. The Jedi do not bother themselves with such things. Only what is right."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The reason it's dark side to steal that is because you're 'exposing' his plan via a sensationalist group, which will assure he can never move forward because he would never be re-elected, while if you leave it, it will go to the senate for vote just like every other law, and likely be struck down anyways. It's a dumb explanation, but legally he's in the right and you're in the wrong - there's nothing wrong with wanting to ally with the Empire to avoid war. It's not treason (yet)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

The reason it's dark side to steal that is because you're 'exposing' his plan via a sensationalist group, which will assure he can never move forward because he would never be re-elected, while if you leave it, it will go to the senate for vote just like every other law, and likely be struck down anyways. It's a dumb explanation, but legally he's in the right and you're in the wrong - there's nothing wrong with wanting to ally with the Empire to avoid war. It's not treason (yet)

I still say it's DS because of the methodology used rather than the end result. As I said earlier, "the ends justify the means" is a common theme of Republic DS choices, and the means here are pretty much Watergate.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Technogeek posted:

I still say it's DS because of the methodology used rather than the end result. As I said earlier, "the ends justify the means" is a common theme of Republic DS choices, and the means here are pretty much Watergate.

I guess that makes sense... From a certain point of view.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think we should step away from Light/Dark being Good/Evil, and focus on something both less, and more spergy. EU fanboy wanks screaming that if anyone without the force so much as touches a lightsaber, you will chop your own cock off.

Which brings me to Lightfoils. Identical to a lightsaber in every way with the 'old' models, just as strong and you still need the force to not bisect your penis. There are two differences in 'modern' designs. 1) Weaker than a lightsaber because it's not made of proper Jedi Hanzo steel or whatever. 2) People without the force can use them just fine, all of a sudden.

My headcannon for why this is the case. For daring to sully it's signature special snowflake weapon with your filthy non force user hands, The Force is trying to kill you. Since modern lightfoils aren't as :japan:, the force doesn't give a gently caress who uses them.

Light or Dark, both sides of the force are drama queen as gently caress after all.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

But regular schmoes can use lightsabers just fine already, wasn't this retconned years ago?

Maybe you should remind them of this guy next time they sperg about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what is the issue with non force users using lightsabers? Han used Luke's. Sabers wouldn't be very useful in combat without the reflexes you gain from being force sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: I think it was that since they're basically just lasers, there's no weight/inertia other than the hilt and it becomes hard to keep your situational awareness as to just exactly where that big old laser is. One slip up and you chop off one of your own limbs. Jedi apparently use the Force as some sixth sense to keep this from happening I guess.

Rookersh posted:

As you can say as a Jedi. ( and the upper choice in the wheel )

"TRUTH AND JUSTICE IS THE FOUNDATION OF THE REPUBLIC."

"Yes, your Republic. The Jedi do not bother themselves with such things. Only what is right."

This doesn't explain why it's considered a Dark Side choice, though (although I do agree with you/it).

• Locked thread