Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love how your camera focused on everything except the guy you were taking a picture of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ville Valo posted:

Those vacant-stare smile faces are still used in the Modular Building series!

Well yeah, but I've seen a Fire Brigade at a Walmart all of once. I'm talking in normal sets.

Honestly I could just as well eBay them if I really cared.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This discussion is why this set is the greatest set ever produced by Lego:

5 minifigs for something like $6.75. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self to just blow all of my allowance and birthday and Christmas money hoarding the old minifig packs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gabriel Pope posted:

This discussion is why this set is the greatest set ever produced by Lego:

5 minifigs for something like $6.75. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self to just blow all of my allowance and birthday and Christmas money hoarding the old minifig packs.

I was happy when I got two of these beasties for Christmas one year:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Rythe posted:

I had completely forgotten how bad rear end the Redbeard pirate mini figure is, he came with my very first ever Lego set when I was around 10 years old.

I had forgotten the name of this set but it was a old pirate hideaway island and to top it all off it came with the awesome monkey.

My first-ever set was pirate-themed as well:

I actually still have it assembled somewhere, sans a couple of the grey fence pieces and one of the guard guys. I don't know how old I was when I got it, but it came out a year after I was born so I must have been very small.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Rythe posted:

I had completely forgotten how bad rear end the Redbeard pirate mini figure is, he came with my very first ever Lego set when I was around 10 years old.

I had forgotten the name of this set but it was a old pirate hideaway island and to top it all off it came with the awesome monkey.

This was my first ever set too. I was surprised how small it was (although it appears 'big' due to the large pieces) when I built it the other year.

I absolutely loved the Pirates line, and I wasn't disappointed when I finally bought Eldorado Fortress the other year. Sometimes when you buy older sets, they really pale in comparison to the new builds (Lego really has hit its stride with its recent releases, I think), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

...which reminds me, I'm still sitting on the Imperial Flagship from 2011. I think I'm going to crack and open it soon.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Heh, interesting how so many seem to love Redbeard, that may be my favourite fig as well. I guess he was really detailed before any other minifigs were.

I also would have loved to have one of those UFO aliens, don't like the shoulder pads but that helmet is awesome.

Here's one I really like:

One of my first sets and one the first sets with that helmet and visor, if I'm not mistaken. Ghost was cool, too.

I love that ghost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

rickiep00h posted:

I was happy when I got two of these beasties for Christmas one year:

Ice Planet was my favorite as a kid growing up. It pisses me off when I see images of the dude just holding the orange chainsaw bit, it's suppoesd to go into the gun :argh:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lizard Combatant posted:

I meant more that detailed facial expressions are just an improvement in technology. Every lego figure used to have the same hairstyle too, you could argue that the new styles also impede your imagination. It's not an important point or anything, I'm just a fan of the new look figures. That said, I am a purist and wouldn't put new heads on classic space bodies or anything.

To me its the difference between a pile of plain bricks and one big molded piece with printing on it. Its not that either is bad, one is just... less Lego to me. I love the minifig series sets but there's just something awesome about that "generic" smile. That being said, Red beard is clearly the best. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kazy posted:

Ice Planet was my favorite as a kid growing up. It pisses me off when I see images of the dude just holding the orange chainsaw bit, it's suppoesd to go into the gun :argh:

On the other hand, to me they look like someone vomited random colors all over a bunch of perfectly good minifigs.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Seeing Spyrius and Ice Planet brought a wave of nostalgia over me which made me remember another awesome set: 8299 Search Sub. Not only was it an awesome set but it also came with a CD which had an interactive program that had some cool videos.

I've looked around on Google for the videos from that CD but sadly I've only been able to find the intro video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18kPAvfyl7w

...and one of the hidden Easter-egg videos which is quite possibly the coolest thing my childhood self ever saw ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6u0xKXlf8s

Edit: found some more videos from the CD, these were "tips-and-tricks" videos which showed you how to build other things with the parts from 8299:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkp7UGudP9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8-H0n6SBA

Actually now that I think about it I remember one of the "tips-and-tricks" videos was rendered at a certain angle which made determining the construction of the set impossible!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 7, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those technic sets were so awesome but I never got one because they were as expensive as they were amazing. :smith:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

...and one of the hidden Easter-egg videos which is quite possibly the coolest thing my childhood self ever saw ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6u0xKXlf8s

Just found another "Multifunctionomical" Easter-egg video which was on the CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3gbXrtE4Y

Honestly LEGO needs to make ads like this again.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

cheese-cube posted:

Just found another "Multifunctionomical" Easter-egg video which was on the CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3gbXrtE4Y

Honestly LEGO needs to make ads like this again.

That beat is not half as sick as the previous one, I'm afraid.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

That beat is not half as sick as the previous one, I'm afraid.

Yeah you're right about that. Actually overall the other video is far more awesome. When I saw it as a kid it led me to believe that they actually assembled and then disassembled each LEGO set as they came off the production line, just to test them :3:

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
I love taking pictures of minifigs, and over the years I think these are my favorites:

The two best “classic” minifigures Lego ever created is Captain Redbeard and the Wolfpack Raider. I only ever had one Wolfpack, but it was my most prized minifig. Luckily there is no weak chinstrap or backpack that I was able to ruin, which is why he is in such great condition.

Then out of the newest “modern” minifigs, I think the Space Marine oozes coolness.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Readblood posted:

I love taking pictures of minifigs, and over the years I think these are my favorites:

The two best “classic” minifigures Lego ever created is Captain Redbeard and the Wolfpack Raider. I only ever had one Wolfpack, but it was my most prized minifig. Luckily there is no weak chinstrap or backpack that I was able to ruin, which is why he is in such great condition.

/mmCwVTrl.jpg[/timg][/URL]

Here is a little more nostalgia for you, I have no idea how these guys survived my childhood in such good shape. I was hard on my mini figures, especially the castle knights, I used to destroy those guys in battles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These dudes were the coolest when I was a kid. The guy with the hair over his face also had a kickin' rad shark sub. Underwater themes were the best.

Of course, the best old minifigure should be obvious to everyone, even if it was slightly harder to replace its legs with a rocket powered jetski.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SlothfulCobra posted:

These dudes were the coolest when I was a kid. The guy with the hair over his face also had a kickin' rad shark sub. Underwater themes were the best.

Of course, the best old minifigure should be obvious to everyone, even if it was slightly harder to replace its legs with a rocket powered jetski.

The skeletons were without a doubt the best thing ever, with their wiggly arms and bony chests. Whenever I went to my friend's house I'd collect all his skeletons and make a giant affront to nature with them.

I grew up with a very small LEGO collection, mostly just generic brick and a handful of sets from different themes. I don't remember exactly what sets they were, but I know I had at least 4. Some sort of Pacific islander boat that had 2 canoe hulls joined by a pair of long arch pieces. I think that was from a Pirate theme at some point. I think I also had an ice planet set, as I had orange ice saw pieces and a minifig that looked like an astronaut from an ice planet. I also had this weird time machine set where some professor in a tophat had made a bathtub into a time machine. Also there was a pair of bobbing skulls as it moved along the ground, I think. Final set was an alien set of some kind, but I can only remember some of the printing detail on the wings.

I don't know where the bricks from these sets are right now, but they're most likely buried in a box in the basement somewhere..

e: Just remembered a fifth set. It was some kind of speed boat, but all I can remember of it was the use of red inverted roof tile to make the base(s), little grey ladder pieces for the motor grille details, slide shoes on the bottom so it could move smoothly across carpet, and yellow mugs used as what I as a kid imagined to be carburetors.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 8, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aquasharks and Aquanauts were awesome:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Hey so when can we get our Marty McFly set or at least see what the actual product will look like?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The Aquazone themes did indeed own. I had that submarine (the Crystal Explorer Sub) and the Deep Sea Predator:

The magnet arms were so fun.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hey so when can we get our Marty McFly set or at least see what the actual product will look like?

I was just thinking about that set today. I hope LEGO means summer as in June and not summer as in August.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm tempted to hunt down some Aquasharks/nauts now. I wonder how bad the vendors at Brickworld will be, or if they'll even have any.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The rear end Stooge posted:

The Aquazone themes did indeed own. I had that submarine (the Crystal Explorer Sub) and the Deep Sea Predator:

The magnet arms were so fun.

I'm sad they don't use those flexi-arm pieces any more, I loved those so much.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The_Doctor posted:

I'm sad they don't use those flexi-arm pieces any more, I loved those so much.

They're cool, but I think I have four links that still work, because the tabs broke off so easily or they just wore to the point that they're useless. Luckily, though, those four are attached to the smaller Aquashark/nauts sets. :v:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looks like I need to make plans to head to Denmark in 2016, http://www.wired.com/design/2013/06/lego-house/ , seems like Lego has a museum/house type design in the works. The video linked above is pretty neat looking concept design for the proposed building, looks like 2016 means I will be making a trip to Denmark eventually.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

This is one of my most-remembered sets from my childhood. It was so sick.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Rythe posted:

Forbidden Island
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6270-1
Looks a lot smaller than I remember. One of my favorite sets too; hard to put back together after accidentally falling on top of it.

My favorite minifigs from the days of yore were the Forestmen. Unfortunately the old part of my collection is still packed up at home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$15 for a light grey antenna to complete my galaxy explorer.

I expected that part to cost a lot but holy cow. :negative:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

xzzy posted:

$15 for a light grey antenna to complete my galaxy explorer.

I expected that part to cost a lot but holy cow. :negative:

The standard antenna that's like three bricks high or that super long one that is thin with the little ball on top? Either way I might have a couple sitting around that would ship for cheap.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ChesterJT posted:

The standard antenna that's like three bricks high or that super long one that is thin with the little ball on top? Either way I might have a couple sitting around that would ship for cheap.

He probably means these weird fragile ones that always end up broken:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=498&colorID=9

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

Aquasharks and Aquanauts were awesome:

This is the set from my childhood that I never got that I want the most today.

I've always loved the Divers theme, too. Something about the color scheme and the whole look with the circular windows I think. Exploring the sea never looked so nice.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
The recent posts of childhood LEGO sets was super-nostalgic and reminded me about a box of childhood LEGOs I rediscovered when moving. So I made this :

From the old pieces to hold my keys. I was hoping to use the green plates but didn't have enough so I stuck with red. The back part is pretty messy so I'm probably going to tidy it up when I have more green plates.

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2013

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
So I bought a crapload of vintage LEGO sets at an auction, complete in boxes with their instructions and minifigs. I'm trying to put a value on the ones I'm going to resell, but it's crazy how all over the place prices are between eBay, BrickPicker and BrickLink. Most of the complete sets on BrickLink are in Europe and super pricey, and eBay doesn't have many complete sales on most of these.

Here's a pic of them all:

Set numbers:

6386, 6380, 6394, 6385, 6376, 1490
6480, 6643, 6440, 1489, 6693, 6450, 6481
6615, 6345, 6350, 6590, 4022, 6335

Thoughts? Prayers? :P

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

pzy posted:

So I bought a crapload of vintage LEGO sets at an auction,

That's super cool, was it just like a random estate sale or what? Funny how those pictures on the Medical Treatment Center dig up memories after all these years :)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
It's a huge nostalgia rush seeing the boxes from that era. The light blue LEGOLAND against the yellow makes my inner child scream "BUY IT FOR MEEEEEEEEEE PLEEEASSEEEE!!!"

It was a proper auction, though I was bidding online.

pzy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 9, 2013

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
6386 was the last model I think I ever wanted help with. Such a great set. :unsmith:

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
While not as awesome I did get this for $10 at a yard sale on Saturday. Assembled everything, no missing pieces! (and some extra pieces, for value-add)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I finally sorted all of that Lego I bought at the yard sale... A surprising amount of Tyco crap to weed out. Since the giant baseplate is in excellent condition, I was all excited to rebuild the temple in it's original form, but sadly, it would seem many of the pieces are missing. These were well loved, but not well cared for Lego.

Since we are having mini-fig chat, here is the entire haul of minifigs and accessories (click for huge):

I have NO clue if these are assembled correctly, since I'm unfamiliar with this era of sets, and I don't really collect mini-figs anyway.

Next we have these things:

I don't think they are Lego pieces, but maybe I'm wrong? Can you goons help me out?