Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well my guy is level 172 after running around trying to finish up a platinum file (3 years later...) and I am sick of trying to get Pure Darkmoonstone and Pure Bladestone.

I've never done DeS online aside from getting killed by invaders, is it possible for someone of a similar level to drop me those items like Dark Souls? If so, is there anyone around here who would have a character of suitable level to accommodate? If it matters, the only boss I've yet to kill is the final False King. No NG+ yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
172 is a problem. Multiple people here have accounts at 120 with everything you need, but that's out of range. Deleveling will also be very hard for you because there will be no one to invade that high, so you'd have to bait False King or Mephistopheles. Easier to just run a new guy and dupe storm king souls to get the levels probably.

Maybe you'll get lucky, but if you don't make a sl120 guy and post again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Thanks for the tip, at this point re-running 1-1 through 4-3 sounds better than running this same stretch of 4-2 over and over ad nauseum. I still need to get the weapon and magic trophies in NG+ but then I'll probably take your advice.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just got my copy of this game back and started another playthrough after having lent it out over a year ago. It's every bit as good as I remember it being and Dark Souls still can't touch Demon's Souls' atmosphere.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So I have Demon Souls sitting on my hard drive waiting to be played after picking it up for free on PSN recently. I've been avoiding it knowing how tough it is, but now I think I'm ready to dive in. I know the wiki is loaded with solid info, but I had a couple questions.

1.) Any specific tips I know before I get started? I honestly don't know much about the specifics of this game other than the insane difficulty and the huge amount of praise it's received since it's release. Things like good character classes to look into for brand new players would be very helpful.

2.) Is the PSN list on the wiki a pretty good place for getting in touch with other goons for coop play? On that note, is this game much better served with coop or is single player recommended?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Good on you!

1) Don't bother leveling Luck, it's only useful for one particular gimmick build. I'd recommend starting with the Knight, the Temple Knight or the Soldier. Royalty is also a nice starting point, though that character class is way more squishy than the other three.
Anyway, character classes are just a base distribution of stats and equipment - there's no class-locked content, because classes don't matter after the first few levels. Pick depending according to your playstyle. You can't "play a clas wrong" because there's no such thing.
Also, if you die don't sweat it. Lost 3000 souls? Pft, pocket change.

2)Which wiki? The Wikidot one isn't goon-made. Coop is... coincidental, mostly. And it's going to be detrimental for your enjoyment the first time through. Just ask for goon help/look for signs when you feel like you got stuck in difficult boss/section.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

Azran posted:

Good on you!

1) Don't bother leveling Luck, it's only useful for one particular gimmick build. I'd recommend starting with the Knight, the Temple Knight or the Soldier. Royalty is also a nice starting point, though that character class is way more squishy than the other three.
Anyway, character classes are just a base distribution of stats and equipment - there's no class-locked content, because classes don't matter after the first few levels. Pick depending according to your playstyle. You can't "play a clas wrong" because there's no such thing.
Also, if you die don't sweat it. Lost 3000 souls? Pft, pocket change.

2)Which wiki? The Wikidot one isn't goon-made. Coop is... coincidental, mostly. And it's going to be detrimental for your enjoyment the first time through. Just ask for goon help/look for signs when you feel like you got stuck in difficult boss/section.

Thanks!

So in terms of leveling stats, i guess just do so in a way that fits your play style? Is there a respec option in case you screw things up?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Only pansy girlie games have respec.

Demon's Souls help:

Learn to use and love your shield.

If your shield can't save you rolling can.

If rolling can't save you you're either doing something wrong or should come back to that spot later.

Too much armor makes you roll slowly. No amount of armor is worth that.

Spears can attack while you're still blocking and become many newbie's sustenance.

Vitality and Endurance are good things to have early on for every character.

Did you find the Thief's Ring? Wear the Thief's Ring.

Even a lovely bow can be used to pull single foes out of a mob.

Powerful bows and powerful magic are cheating. Go ahead and enjoy them on your first playthrough or two. After that do it melee like a real man.

Don't stab a skeleton. Don't try to burn down a demon made of fire. Don't slash at foes covered in scales. Dummy.

Upgrade your poo poo.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 17, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tx2005 posted:

Thanks!

So in terms of leveling stats, i guess just do so in a way that fits your play style? Is there a respec option in case you screw things up?

There's no re-spec option. Welcome to Demon's Souls! :v:

Okay, okay. You may want to focus on one/two sources of damage. Those can be STR-based weapons, DEX-based weapons, miracles or magic (and their respective FAITH/INT weapon equivalents). Just pump those two stats you want, plus Endurance, Vitality and Intelligence for extra slots.
You WILL want a Miracle slot, because there's a miracle that's basically a "Okay, going back to the Hub now" spell. Saves tons of backtracking.

Don't worry, you can't gently caress up your character as long as you don't level Luck. (Also, try to stay below Soul Level 100 if you plan to get help)

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I picked it up because I couldn't find a copy of The Last of Us, and I was interested in Demon's Souls after beating Dark Souls. I'm in the mine level, and I was at the lava section with the Bear Bugs or whatever they're called, and Patches. I kill a bear bug, and then back away so it doesn't explode on me. However, I didn't back up quite far enough, meaning that I get knocked off and fall to my death. So, whatever, I'll just retrieve my body. At the part of the mines where you have to fall onto different platforms, I noticed an item on a platform that I had missed the first time. I get it, but then find myself stranded. The nearest platform is quite a distance, but my only option is to roll to it. Of course, I don't roll quite far enough and fall to my death, meaning that the 20,000+ souls I had when I died from the explosion are gone. It doesn't help that every drop in the section where you fall onto platforms takes some of your health. Now I'm completely out of grass and those things that get you out of Soul Form.

Is this even fair? :shepicide:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Snix posted:

You challenge the chasm, you challenge Death. Death 1 - Snix 0.

Look up some walkthroughs and/or speed run videos if you want to find out a safe route the sissy way.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Snix posted:

I picked it up because I couldn't find a copy of The Last of Us, and I was interested in Demon's Souls after beating Dark Souls. I'm in the mine level, and I was at the lava section with the Bear Bugs or whatever they're called, and Patches. I kill a bear bug, and then back away so it doesn't explode on me. However, I didn't back up quite far enough, meaning that I get knocked off and fall to my death. So, whatever, I'll just retrieve my body. At the part of the mines where you have to fall onto different platforms, I noticed an item on a platform that I had missed the first time. I get it, but then find myself stranded. The nearest platform is quite a distance, but my only option is to roll to it. Of course, I don't roll quite far enough and fall to my death, meaning that the 20,000+ souls I had when I died from the explosion are gone. It doesn't help that every drop in the section where you fall onto platforms takes some of your health. Now I'm completely out of grass and those things that get you out of Soul Form.

Look at it this way, in the grand scheme of the game 20k souls isn't poo poo. No really, it isn't. There will be more things to kill, and kill them you shall :black101: Death is an adventure in this game!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The first thing you need to learn in a Souls game is to not worry about it when you lose all your souls. No matter how many souls you lose, you can easily get them back and then some. And 20k is a pittance, even at low levels.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snix posted:

Since you're in the early game do this:

1) Equip something that does crushing damage like a club or halberd.
2) Go to 4-1 (the Shrine of Storms) and beat up all the skeletons one by one in the opening area, they give a good amount of souls for a single enemy and will die easily to any crushing attacks.
3) Exit, upgrade, repeat. You'll get a lot of souls quickly for the early game.

Do that a few times and 20,000 will suddenly not be a large amount to you, never feel bad for losing your souls. :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Halberd doesn't do crushing, you're probably thinking of the Mirdan hammer. Mace is also a good option, as is the crescent falchion as it does magic damage and skeletons are also weak to that. Two R2s per skele.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
There are people in this thread, me included, who have lost 100k+ souls in a death and reacted with an eyebrow raise and a shrug.

It's cool, you'll get plenty of opportunity for more souls.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Alright, you guys are probably going to thing I'm a pansy, especially because I've heard this was one of the easiest bosses in the game, but I just died by the Fool's Idol more times than I can count. I beat her after two or three tries, but I didn't kill the guy who keeps spawning her, so now I have to kill her again, and for some reason I just can't do it. It's the loving traps. They keep spawning right where I'm at, and keeping me there more than once. Plus, it's pretty hard to note the exact location of every trap while trying not to get his by spell or hiding behind a pillar. That, and stray shots from the clones that are starting to screw me over when I least expect. And the lock-on system making GBS threads all over itself. I don't remember Dark Souls ever being this bad.

Snix fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 20, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go do another level and come back to it -- especially one that might give you a fire weapon or spell. You shouldn't be having that much trouble. I mostly move back and forth behind the pillars on the right, never out in the open.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Snix posted:

Alright, you guys are probably going to thing I'm a pansy, especially because I've heard this was one of the easiest bosses in the game, but I just died by the Fool's Idol more times than I can count. I beat her after two or three tries, but I didn't kill the guy who keeps spawning her, so now I have to kill her again, and for some reason I just can't do it. It's the loving traps. They keep spawning right where I'm at, and keeping me there more than once. Plus, it's pretty hard to note the exact location of every trap while trying not to get his by spell or hiding behind a pillar. That, and stray shots from the clones that are starting to screw me over when I least expect. And the lock-on system making GBS threads all over itself. I don't remember Dark Souls ever being this bad.

Earlier on in this thread I was expressing disappointment/bragging about beating most of the bosses on my first try through Demon's Souls. Despite her being one of the easiest bosses, the Fool's Idol is one of the bosses that managed to kill me, so don't feel too bad. Something that helped me was rolling through all the chairs around the edges before the battle starts, then keeping to the outside (if you don't smash the furniture, it's easy to get stuck on it when dodging), only heading into the center when it's time to attack. The pillars should provide good cover for her attacks, and from there it's all about timing your attacks between her spell volleys and keeping track of the traps she lays so you don't run through one like a dumbass (I did that a lot).

If that doesn't help, go do another area for awhile and come back with better gear/more levels. That's normally the best way to tackle problem areas in Demon's Souls.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Snix posted:

Fool's Idol isn't a terribly hard boss but she can still be a bit of a pain so you shouldn't feel too bad about having to make a couple of attempts. It's not like you're dying to Pinwheel or anything.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Fool's Idol isn't particularly tough and I didn't die to her because she couldn't oneshot me, but I burned through all the grass I'd built up in 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 fighting her.

Honestly I only think two or three bosses in Demon's Souls are actually tricky, assuming you get the NPC version of the 3-3 boss. Almost all of them are either forgiving enough to let you heal up over and over or capable of being easily "cheesed" which I put in quotation marks because I'm not really sure it's cheesy to use stuff the game readily gives you (Tower Knight by attacking from the walls, Storm King with Stormruler, etc). For the most part it's getting through the stages themselves in one go that's tough, especially with your soul intact.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Man, the Old King in the Mausoleum fight is a bitch.

Anybody have any tips?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Snix posted:

Keep moving and engage her at range if possible. If you stay to the sides you don't have to worry about the traps. Pick up a bow or soul arrow for a few souls and go to town.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody have any tips?

1.) You can chain backstab him during his speech, in some cases he will continue to repeat it forever and you can just repeat it
2.) He has a major weakness to magic type damage while being almost immune to physical attacks
3.) If you have storm ruler you can lure him back to the catapults and knock him down the tower stairs.
4.) become godly with parries

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snix posted:

The trick with Fools Idol (besides having to kill that guy who keeps resurrecting her first) is that the traps don't spawn, their locations are pre-set and never change. When the fight starts, right after you wipe out the zombies at the back of the church, run down the left side towards the alter. That column closest to the alter on the left side? There's no trap tiles along almost the entire left side. So instead of running around the whole place hang around on the left most side of the area until she comes closer, using the pillars as cover. Then just run straight out and smash her when she eventually starts poking around for you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody have any tips?

Play golf with the Storm Ruler and knock him off a ledge. He doesn't go into his aggressive AI until he's below half health, so you're basically completely safe.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody have any tips?

I killed him LIKE A MAN on my sl1 run by rolling through his attacks and backstabbing him into submission. He has a couple of change ups that can catch you doing this but you'll learn 'em.

My more able characters usually just out ranged him with a pole arm.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody have any tips?

If you're feeling cheesy and you have enough stats to cast it, you can cast death cloud on him which will kill him in a couple of minutes. I've never tried it with poison cloud, but that might work too, though it would probably take significantly longer. You can also shove him off of a very specific ledge using the kick, though that will take some patience.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm playing this game for the first time after getting a PS3 after putting 265 hours into Dark Souls. Is there any IRC channel or such to ask dumb questions or talk with goons?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is more active than it seems, you can ask in here.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ularg posted:

I'm playing this game for the first time after getting a PS3 after putting 265 hours into Dark Souls. Is there any IRC channel or such to ask dumb questions or talk with goons?

Add zombieboat! I just started last week

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ularg posted:

#FROMGoons on synirc is the spot. Bunch of DkS/DeS junkies hang out there.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Is anyone around soul level 76 interested in helping me with the false king?

Zombie_boat is my name ps3

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Coming back to this game since I'm a little "Dark Soul"-ed out at the moment, but want something "fresh" before DaS2 (I haven't played it once since DaS came out, so it's almsot all fresh, since I only got, like, 30% through earlier.)

I am very disappointed in the wiki...it's terrible. Especially with regards to upgrading, which IIRC is much more of a bitch than it is in Dark Souls. So many more types of upgrades/upgrade materials, and crystal lizards don't just respawn until you kill them. I guess, like World Tendancy, they have a "respawn count" that goes up or down based on certain conditions, like killing bosses, etc...

I will say, though, that for all the things that are better in Dark Souls, I prefer the magic system in Demon's. Dark Souls made you more cautious about magic, at least until you got high enough to have double copies of spells and lots of attunement slots. If I'm playing a mage/cleric, I want to be able to use my spells a LOT. That's the point, IMO. I don't want to be a guy with a sword that doesn't hit as hard as the big dude with a sword, who then also has a few castings of a spell saved for the boss...I want to take down loads of trash mobs (well...loads of what passes for trash mobs in Demon's Souls,) with Soul Arrow after Soul Arrow.

The only exception to the 'magic is done better' is that I have two stats to control it. Int gives me slots and MP, and Magic gives me magic power...though to be fair, Dark Souls sort of had the same with Int and Attunement, but anything that scales was always off of Int, whereas I think some magic weapons scale from Magic and others scale from Int in Demon's? Yes, no? Again, that goes back to the "way too many types of upgrade paths" issue.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I also just started another play-through. My first one was DEX/MAG, so I decided to go with STR weapons and a handful of miracles to see what the fuss is about. I'm still super early, but I started with a high STR/FTH class (the one with the Halberd), and have finished 1-1 and 5-1. I skipped back to 2-1 to find some ore in order to upgrade my Halberd (it's at +6 now) and randomly got a Mirdan hammer to drop as well (I was told to jump into 5-2 to grab that quickly).

Is there any particular order I should go through the rest of the levels at? I'm going to try and do some world tendency events here and there, if it matters.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest change with a STR heavy guy is the ability to use the very large shields. This basically means that you work the world tendency harder to get the Brushwood shield before Flamelurker which is an amazing experience compared to doing it with the buckler and crescent falchion or whatever. Also the Crushing Executioner's Axe is probably the best close quarters strength weapon for one handed situations, but strength characters have a lot of options.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EC posted:

I also just started another play-through. My first one was DEX/MAG, so I decided to go with STR weapons and a handful of miracles to see what the fuss is about. I'm still super early, but I started with a high STR/FTH class (the one with the Halberd), and have finished 1-1 and 5-1. I skipped back to 2-1 to find some ore in order to upgrade my Halberd (it's at +6 now) and randomly got a Mirdan hammer to drop as well (I was told to jump into 5-2 to grab that quickly).

If you're doing a STR build, especially if you're adding in Faith, you should do 4-1 and then eventually make the Meat Cleaver.

It scales with S for STR and DEX, and A scaling for FTH.

And it can be made from an un-scaled club or great club (and you did pick up that great club in 2-1, right?) So no need to waste a bunch of hardstone scaling something up first.

Oh, you do have to beat 2-2 first, though, since Ed won't make any "boss" weapons until after getting the Red Hot Demon's Soul.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

The biggest change with a STR heavy guy is the ability to use the very large shields. This basically means that you work the world tendency harder to get the Brushwood shield before Flamelurker which is an amazing experience compared to doing it with the buckler and crescent falchion or whatever. Also the Crushing Executioner's Axe is probably the best close quarters strength weapon for one handed situations, but strength characters have a lot of options.

I was fighting FL last night with the Purple Flame shield, but my natural tendency is to roll so instead of just blocking the hit and taking minimal damage I'd get hit for half my life. :v:

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you're doing a STR build, especially if you're adding in Faith, you should do 4-1 and then eventually make the Meat Cleaver.

It scales with S for STR and DEX, and A scaling for FTH.

And it can be made from an un-scaled club or great club (and you did pick up that great club in 2-1, right?) So no need to waste a bunch of hardstone scaling something up first.

Oh, you do have to beat 2-2 first, though, since Ed won't make any "boss" weapons until after getting the Red Hot Demon's Soul.

Nice, thanks for the advice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pretty much the only use for the great club since you can't actually ever upgrade it. You also can't buff it, which is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
For any of you that watch the Prepare to Cry series for Dark Souls, VaatiVidya just posted a trailer for the Demon's Souls Lore Series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usivi2jO5LU

• Locked thread