Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Uba Stij posted:

Congrats on winning the PC Matches the other day. It was Subdreddit and some other random group right?

Subdreddit is tonight at 22:10 EVE time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Umbreon posted:

I dont think LCD monitors choose what resolution they display at. It's whatever the device connected to them is telling it to display at.

I was talking about your PS3's video output resolution.

Press the "Playstation" button in the middle of the controller & go to "System Settings" on the menu displayed. Select "Display Settings", then click "Video Output Settings" to find your output type and select it. Then choose "Custom" and once there choose the type of resolution you want as your output and accept the changes.

Like I said, our PS3 app doesn't support below 720p (since we stream in HD only) so that might be a similar situation going on, although that would be pretty stupid but then again it's CCP :ccp:

Lassitude posted:

Subdreddit is tonight at 22:10 EVE time.

Ah, well I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to that given traffic has been a bitch lately.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 12, 2013

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

I was talking about your PS3's video output resolution.

Press the "Playstation" button in the middle of the controller & go to "System Settings" on the menu displayed. Select "Display Settings", then click "Video Output Settings" to find your output type and select it. Then choose "Custom" and once there choose the type of resolution you want as your output and accept the changes.

Like I said, our PS3 app doesn't support below 720p (since we stream in HD only) so that might be a similar situation going on, although that would be pretty stupid but then again it's CCP :ccp:

Ah, well I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to that given traffic has been a bitch lately.

Yeah, it's at 1080p. Turns out my issue is this though:

PerrineClostermann posted:

LCD screens look like rear end when they're displaying anything but their native resolution.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somedays, I really wonder why I bother posting on the DUST Forums

Abu posted:

Don't blame the thief if you leave your car unlocked and with the key in the ignition.

The context being that he said "what if I call my dropship in a dumb spot and lose it, its not fair to me as a pilot who loses millions of isk"

I then pointed out, at length, that it was his own fault for being stupid and allowing himself to get caught like that. He then responded with:

dust pubbie posted:

Also did you seriously write that while sober? What a ignorant thing to write. I guess if you wear a short dress and get drunk you cant blame the rapist, or the burglar for coming into your house on a warm night if you sleep with the window open. You see it all the time do you? You vulgar synonym for the human vulva

Because raping a woman is the same thing as stealing a car :psyduck:

And then on top of it, some guy thinks that its "Pay To Win" for the ISD Volunteer Program to only have it's applications currently available to EVE players-only. :cripes:

Umbreon posted:

Yeah, it's at 1080p. Turns out my issue is this though:

Ah, well then yeah nothing I can suggest since I don't have an LCD screen.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 12, 2013

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Uba Stij, Rapist and Thief

I always knew. Always.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Three games in a row where the team is absolutely incompetent, no one online in corp to squad up, and CCP hasn't given me my respec. Yeah, gently caress this.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

PerrineClostermann posted:

Three games in a row where the team is absolutely incompetent, no one online in corp to squad up, and CCP hasn't given me my respec. Yeah, gently caress this.

Yeah most of us gave up last night after the second time the servers went down.

I had negative SP, Neocom was blank, people were showing up in more than 1 team or squad.. it was a poo poo show for sure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Soarer posted:

Yeah most of us gave up last night after the second time the servers went down.

I had negative SP, Neocom was blank, people were showing up in more than 1 team or squad.. it was a poo poo show for sure.

Did you try to spend your negative SP just in case it confuses the game enough to give you all the skills?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

Because raping a woman is the same thing as stealing a car :psyduck:

Well yeah, they're just things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of Re-specs, I rather enjoy this game, but I'm starting to wager odds that I'll have given up caring about it by the time I ever DO get my Re-Spec.

Just, flat out, done with it before I get it.

(Partially because other cool poo poo is coming out, and partially because, well, it starts to just get really redundant after a while. If you don't extract pure entertainment from the shooting mans portion, there's not a lot else. Leveling and improving have very minor, intangible sensations, and later levels cost ridiculous amounts of SP. This basically means that if improving or leveling up factor into your fun at all, it's fairly unsatisfying the way it's set up.)

I mean there aren't like, cool, vastly different weapons to strive to earn. They all just feel like the same gun (in a class) with a .05% stat tweak + / -.

In my opinion, anyway...

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Feenix posted:

Speaking of Re-specs, I rather enjoy this game, but I'm starting to wager odds that I'll have given up caring about it by the time I ever DO get my Re-Spec.

Just, flat out, done with it before I get it.

(Partially because other cool poo poo is coming out, and partially because, well, it starts to just get really redundant after a while. If you don't extract pure entertainment from the shooting mans portion, there's not a lot else. Leveling and improving have very minor, intangible sensations, and later levels cost ridiculous amounts of SP. This basically means that if improving or leveling up factor into your fun at all, it's fairly unsatisfying the way it's set up.)

I mean there aren't like, cool, vastly different weapons to strive to earn. They all just feel like the same gun (in a class) with a .05% stat tweak + / -.

In my opinion, anyway...

My fun is derived from playing with goons, whether in PC or in pub matches. Striving to take over the entire New Eden and piss pubbies off seems like an excellent goal. We're getting better every PC match we have, and the more competent players we have, the better we'll be. Yes, there's a grind element that some people can't seem to get past, but in the end being able to stomp people and match our EVE brethren in domination over our respective games sounds like a grand thing in which to strive. We're not there yet...not even close...but we have a decent start.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

To be fair, shooting mans is the whole point of a fps. :unsmith:

"I'm just Saiyan." - Goku

I found out that flaylocks can be equipped as a main weapon as well as a secondary (on scout suits at least) and that its not as fun as I thought as it would be.

Sure you get six shots, but you spend the same amount of time reloading two guns.

Also there needs to be a hybrid of :downs: + :science: because sometimes ideas are stupid.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I respect that, Nippy. All of it. Unfortunately most of it matters not to me. I don't care about Eve. I'm not really into griefing people or making them have a bad day or stomping them. (not talking down on it, I just don't get a lot of entertainment from it.)

The playing with Goons part is cool, but yeah... for me, leveling up to do better, doing better to level up. Getting cool new gear. Those are what I want out of an MMOFPS and I feel like they are the weakest (nearly nonexistent) aspect of DUST.

Sadly if the game just controlled/played a little smoother/more polished it might just barely be enough to keep me intrigued. Right now I log on, see I didn't get my Re-Spec, check how much passive SP I earned, and then log out.

Fair play though. It is what it is.

Hell I'd *probably* quit now if I could figure out how to gift all my AUR or ISK to someone.

Nah, actually it's a free game. I should probably just go away for weeks/months and come back and have a billion SP and maybe some game patch improvements or something... :p

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Well it really sounds like Dust isn't for you. It's not about gear and when it is, it's about optimizing fittings, for cost, performance, or whatever means you might like. It's not CCP's take on Planetside or anything, it's CCP's take on shooting mans with a machinegun on foot instead of with a machinegun in space. As of right now, it's nice that there isn't six thousand GEK-38 variants that are all just slightly different for whatever reason like you can find with modules in EVE. But if you want fancy new gear on a regular basis, you're better off playing some else entirely.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

To be fair, shooting mans is the whole point of a fps. :unsmith:

"I'm just Saiyan." - Goku

I found out that flaylocks can be equipped as a main weapon as well as a secondary (on scout suits at least) and that its not as fun as I thought as it would be.

Sure you get six shots, but you spend the same amount of time reloading two guns.

Also there needs to be a hybrid of :downs: + :science: because sometimes ideas are stupid.

There's a guy I've seen running around in a Minmatar assault suit with dual core flaylocks, which are the prototype flaylocks. That gives him 8 rounds for the two guns for about the same CPU/PG as a Duvolle AR. So 8 rounds of over 200 damage with a 2 m splash radius before he has to reload. He usually does really, really well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpookyLizard posted:

you're better off playing some else entirely.

This is the conclusion I'm coming to also, over time. A lot I want to like about it... not enough that I actually do.

I think the biggest shame is that it has performance and gameplay limitations that you'd expect being "MMO". But that there's really no reason it needs to be an MMO at all. The interaction with EVE is minor at best (in terms of in-game actions) and beyond that it's just a 32 vs 32* First Person Shooter.

(*or whatever the player count is...)

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I had this exact same arc of realizations the other day, I went from giddy to disappointed very quickly. I want to dual wield core flaylocks like enforcers from Unreal Tournament.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.
There's just something about PC that everyone hates (I do, as well). A bunch of groups are either getting out entirely (Imps) or are just going to stop defending their poo poo (Cronos, others). Running around and squading is fun, the other stuff not so much.

spazzhole fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 12, 2013

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spazzhole posted:

There's just something about PC that everyone hates (I do, as well). A bunch of groups are either getting out entirely (Imps) or are just stop defending their poo poo (Cronos, others). Running around and squading is fun, the other stuff not so much.

It's probably because they're either realizing the districts aren't as valuable as they were led to believe, or the constant "we have a defense op tonight" everyday is just draining the "fun."

I really do hope CCP releases something useful to re-invigorate the game both in terms of PC matches, and regular pub-matches.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

rodbeard posted:

Did you try to spend your negative SP just in case it confuses the game enough to give you all the skills?

Yes I did, no it didn't work as my imagination led me to believe it would.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
I think many of them way over extended for what can quickly become an every day scheduled battle. The idea of logging in and playing one or two scheduled PC matches I think is great and a welcome relief to playing public matches, the idea of logging in every day and having 12 would not be as fun. I'm really happy with our current potential pace of PC exploration and I have really looked forward to the few I've been able to participate in. On that note is there a potential to change our timers to 2 hours later it seems we peak between 8-11 EST.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

I think many of them way over extended for what can quickly become an every day scheduled battle. The idea of logging in and playing one or two scheduled PC matches I think is great and a welcome relief to playing public matches, the idea of logging in every day and having 12 would not be as fun. I'm really happy with our current potential pace of PC exploration and I have really looked forward to the few I've been able to participate in. On that note is there a potential to change our timers to 2 hours later it seems we peak between 8-11 EST.

They honestly should put a 4 day lock from attacks on each territory. You shouldn't have to defend the same piece of land every day. Every successful defense should provide three days of safety, and every newly-acquired territory should do the same.

Pirate of Penzance
Mar 30, 2006
too cheap to buy an account myself
Yeah, a cool down for a successful defense seems like a gimme. On the other side of the coin have to to come back for 3 days to take a district is just a chore. If you win an attack you should have the option for attacking again as long as you still have a certain amount of clones left and that battle happens immediately. You're allowed to keep attacking until you go below the threshold on clones, get defeated in a match, or take the district.

I think this would go a long way to reduce the fatigue.

Samahiel posted:

I can't think of many actions that generate WP outside of Drop Uplinks in the MCC that don't qualify as playing the game. And it's not like you get more votes on an account for having more WP. Someone creating multiple PSNs and playing them all enough to garner enough points to get multiple votes isn't much different from someone plexing multiple accounts for a couple months to get multiple EVE votes. Either way they're generating content/revenue.

I agree. Some people are worried about people "earning" multiple votes, but to me that makes sense: more invested in the game= more votes.

Pirate of Penzance fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 12, 2013

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

On that note is there a potential to change our timers to 2 hours later it seems we peak between 8-11 EST.

Yeah that would be nice.

nippythefish posted:

They honestly should put a 4 day lock from attacks on each territory. You shouldn't have to defend the same piece of land every day. Every successful defense should provide three days of safety, and every newly-acquired territory should do the same.

If it locked out for 4 days it would be virtually impossible to take a district, as the clone generation over those 4 days would more than cover anything the defending side lost in the battle.

Pirate of Penzance
Mar 30, 2006
too cheap to buy an account myself

Soarer posted:

If it locked out for 4 days it would be virtually impossible to take a district, as the clone generation over those 4 days would more than cover anything the defending side lost in the battle.

4 days may be a little much. I think giving a 48 hour instead of the current 24 would be sufficient. You would still need to pair any cool down with the ability to attack a district multiple times in succession in the same day though. Also, I think the cool down might need to be limited to just who attacked, but then you would have this dodged by alt corps potentially.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Soarer posted:

Yeah that would be nice.

I don't know, that would pretty much ensure most of our European players (including me) never get to play PC.

Soarer posted:

I obviously don't fully grasp the details of how this poo poo works...doesn't each district earn the holding corp clones? That includes clones for defense and clones for attacking, right? You divvy them up however you want? I don't believe the tone is coming across correctly in this post, as I'm honestly asking these questions for verification. If these are true, then wouldn't those that hold more territories have more clones for attacking? Those who decide to sit on their clones for defense might be able to hold a position easier, but won't be taking any new ones. Meanwhile, that three or four day timer will be building up our own clones. Reduction of earning rate combined with a cap might fix the "too many defending clones" issue.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

PC doesn't do anything except act as something to fight over, and it provides no member-line incentive. If you could send your dudes down to the planet and shoot wild alien deers or something, or even just hang out at the base, that would be a thing. It exists solely to passively generate ISK. The amount of timers on it is just dumb, and the fact you're forced into PC just to have the old corp battles. The bigger entities are all ringed by the same 16-20 guys so you're almost always fighting the same people. To top that off, most groups are cowards and the second they start losing poo poo they throw in the towel. They need to figure out a way to get more ISK at the line level, have a way to mildly tax that ISK.

And for the love of god CCP, add an actual corp battle system.

edit: And this is exactly what the game needs, the ability to do stuff and explore. Shooting nerds is fun, but there's an entire planet worth of cool poo poo you could be doing.

spazzhole fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2013

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

spazzhole posted:

I think if the mercenary faction warfare battles were more frequent and not instantly filled up this could be accomplished.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

I think if the mercenary faction warfare battles were more frequent and not instantly filled up this could be accomplished.

Not really, it's super hard to coordinate two separate groups into the FW matches. The old corp battles owned, and I wanted to brawl with subdreddit a lot but by the time Goonfeet got going uprising deployed and ruined that

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spazzhole posted:

edit: And this is exactly what the game needs, the ability to do stuff and explore. Shooting nerds is fun, but there's an entire planet worth of cool poo poo you could be doing.

I can only imagine that will be a thing when the PVE content is added.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

spazzhole posted:

PC doesn't do anything except act as something to fight over, and it provides no member-line incentive. If you could send your dudes down to the planet and shoot wild alien deers or something, or even just hang out at the base, that would be a thing. It exists solely to passively generate ISK. The amount of timers on it is just dumb, and the fact you're forced into PC just to have the old corp battles. The bigger entities are all ringed by the same 16-20 guys so you're almost always fighting the same people. To top that off, most groups are cowards and the second they start losing poo poo they throw in the towel. They need to figure out a way to get more ISK at the line level, have a way to mildly tax that ISK.

This. Do this.

Also Paradox seems to think some of you nerds want to play logi bros.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gamebreaker.TV got CCP's presentation at E3.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ccp-games-e3-presentation/

I'm not sure if they're referring to our "purchase" of the district when they talked about it, but I'm pretty sure I know who they're talking about when they refer to spying and backstabbing Grief University :swoon:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Applied as Wrathofoprah1

Guess i couldn't use my old eve characters name

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Uba Stij posted:

Somedays, I really wonder why I bother posting on the DUST Forums

These are real people that are saying these things on the DUST forums? :stare:

Sometimes people amaze me. Not in the "ha ha I can make fun of these dudes kind of way," but just in a "my god I hate humanity kind of way."

Sevares
Apr 30, 2009
Just applied for the corp as Sevaress

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Breaking news: Subreddit sucks at PC.

\/\/\/\/ We redlined them.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Mr. Buchstansangur
Jul 10, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

Breaking news: Subreddit sucks at PC.

Just got home, way too late for the PC battle, but was looking forward to cracking a few redditard skulls.

Guessing we beat them?

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

I beat one of their Heavies by punching him to death. Other than that I spent most of the round spinning in circles on an open field as I had nothing to do.

One of the drunk Imperfects that queued with us killed more goons with his jeep than Reddit did.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fully expect Lowratehitman to make a video discussing how we cheated to win. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Aurra posted:

I beat one of their Heavies by punching him to death. Other than that I spent most of the round spinning in circles on an open field as I had nothing to do.

One of the drunk Imperfects that queued with us killed more goons with his jeep than Reddit did.

He also managed to kill all the imperfects we brought in, including himself, and a red in one beautiful head on 3 way with jeeps. Good times :D

• Locked thread