Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The gang could probably have saved the world a lot of trouble if they had slit Bayaz's throat when he was clonked out after expending all that energy. Granted, at the time they didn't know what a vicious greedy sunuvabitch he was, and he might have had some other form of defense that we don't know about. And even so, the moments when he's vulnerable like that are pretty rare. He'll probably live another thousand years forging and destroying empires without giving a drat about any of the millions who must suffer or die so he can play chessmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Bhodi posted:

Yuru seems to be sent off on business regularly, he doesn't seem to really act as a bodyguard. It's possible he has other apprentices, but none have been mentioned in any of the books. He was pretty tired from blowing out that wall, and there have been mentions that magic is much harder now and doing the smallest of spells makes him sweat. Sure, he can explode any individual he sees coming, but who's going to let him see them coming?

That's my entire point. Massive amounts of directed power but and no threat detection or prescience should equal dead magi, no matter how much he doesn't age. Because he's just a man.

I just find it really odd, the blind spot the entire series has for the effectiveness of ranged weapons and sneak attacks against people who make massive amounts of enemies and then go out of their way to parade around the city on horses, while in a gritty fantasy where no one has a hero shield and anyone can die to bad luck dodging a sword.
I don't know what makes you think he'd easily die from something mundane like a crossbow bolt. He's impervious to age and disease, and seems to have some mastery over what the human body can do judging by how he rigged the contest.

It wouldn't be out of character for him to have a very well equipped and well connected personal secret police routing out any threats or plots against him. I know I'm going outside the text on that but given his rivalry with Khalul and talent for subterfuge, it almost seems a given.

Keep in mind too that Bayaz spends the majority of time living in magically protected secrecy, and only pops into the public limelight every couple centuries to work his schemes or fix up his pet nation.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 648 days!)

Bhodi posted:

Yuru seems to be sent off on business regularly, he doesn't seem to really act as a bodyguard. It's possible he has other apprentices, but none have been mentioned in any of the books. He was pretty tired from blowing out that wall, and there have been mentions that magic is much harder now and doing the smallest of spells makes him sweat. Sure, he can explode any individual he sees coming, but who's going to let him see them coming?

That's my entire point. Massive amounts of directed power but and no threat detection or prescience should equal dead magi, no matter how much he doesn't age. Because he's just a man.

I just find it really odd, the blind spot the entire series has for the effectiveness of ranged weapons and sneak attacks against people who make massive amounts of enemies and then go out of their way to parade around the city on horses, while in a gritty fantasy where no one has a hero shield and anyone can die to bad luck dodging a sword.

Crossbows don't work like they do in Skyrim. There are no sneak attacks and critical hits. They are not assassin weapons.

Crossbows aren't particularly concealable or accurate to the point where you could snipe someone. Hunting range on a modern compound crossbow with a scope is like 50 yards maximum if you're a really really good shot. A 250 yard shot is taken under perfect conditions on a stationary target using modern technology. Sniping is the worst way to assassinate someone prior to the invention of high powered rifles.

He's also got control of Jezal's security team, along with a whole cast of cannibal wizards we haven't met yet. Not only that, if you don't manage to get a shot in his eye or neck or heart he's just going to throw a massive fireball in the general direction the bolt flew from.

Who knows about Bayaz, anyway? Really knows about him? Pretty much just his merry band of adventurers and Calder, none of whom are in a position to go up against God. Shenkt could probably take him out if he was able to get within reach of him and do his thing. Poison might do it. Who knows.

It's not a plot hole that no one has killed the most powerful human being on the planet yet. Bayaz is not fundamentally squishy just because he's a caster class, we are not privy to what he is actually capable of and if it's established that someone as absolutely shitheaded as Bayaz can survive for a thousand years then we can assume he doesn't have anything to worry about from some punk with a ranged weapon that's only effective when fired in volleys by dozens or hundreds or thousands of people.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 9, 2013

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if his screwing around with cannon and gunpowder is going to come back and bite him in 50-100 years, or however long it takes someone to develop a reasonably accurate musket. Or if he just stands too close to a battlefield and a stray cannonball takes his head off. The end. No moral.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Did Bayaz mention why he doesn't just become an Eater? I can't think it's any moral objection to dining on soylent green.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Did Bayaz mention why he doesn't just become an Eater? I can't think it's any moral objection to dining on soylent green.

Doesn't he mention the addiction part, or was that another character?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Not My Goodies posted:

Crossbows don't work like they do in Skyrim. There are no sneak attacks and critical hits. They are not assassin weapons.
True; I was trying to talk in general terms, replace 'sneak attack' with 'the advantage of surprise' and 'crossbow' with any weapon at all. I was simply suggesting the almost tropeish scenario of the archer on the roof across the street would take him down given the information available. Being under a hundred yards, someone not requiring decades of training, and a readily available target with a routine (council meetings).

I guess he's got to have sorcererous protection that hasn't been mentioned anywhere in 6 books. Though I don't think anything has broken his skin, so maybe he does have some of the abilities of an Eater. As an side, when they showed up, they seemed overly, ridiculously strong. Like the terminator. Properly used, a cadre of them should have allowed easy takeover of the world much faster than by conventional armies, especially with the decade+ head start they have on Bayaz, who is presumably now training up his own guys to counter.

I vaguely recall poison won't work on him, but I can't recall why. I sort of assume any attack that gives him between a few seconds and a few minutes and does not incapacitate him completely is time enough for him to counter. Poison (even though it doesn't really work the way written in the books) included. It would have to be something devastating and final, like a cannonball or rocks falling from the sky, or something going into his brain or possibly heart before he can react.

The idea of him randomly dying to a gunpowder-launched cannonball is pretty hilarious, and would sort of be in keeping with the world.

I just don't like circular arguments to explain things; the idea that he can't die to a lucky shot because he's lived so long he obviously hasn't died to a lucky shot just stands out in an otherwise consistent and well designed world.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 9, 2013

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Neurosis posted:

I'm pretty sure it's mostly an arrogance thing. He wants to show he's better than Khalul without stooping to Eating.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Neurosis posted:

Bayaz is all about controlling things. Becoming an Eater means losing control and becoming a slave to your hunger, which is exactly the opposite of how he rolls. He's much better off just putting an Eater or twelve on the payroll.

And if at some future date he absolutely needs the power boost, he can start chowing down.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bhodi posted:

True; I was trying to talk in general terms, replace 'sneak attack' with 'the advantage of surprise' and 'crossbow' with any weapon at all. I was simply suggesting the almost tropeish scenario of the archer on the roof across the street would take him down given the information available. Being under a hundred yards, someone not requiring decades of training, and a readily available target with a routine (council meetings).

I don't understand, isn't this an argument that can be made for literally every powerful person in these books and others? Why aren't they just assassinated? Maybe because they are constantly surrounded by loyal guards, the places they spent most of their time in aren't exactly open for public and they employ several massive spy organizations, some of who have magical powers, who treat every potential threat with extreme prejudice. Bayaz has the royal guard and army, the inquisitors, Valint and Balk and his disciples all providing security for him, it's very doubtful that some random chucklefuck can just sneak stab him or whatever. Most powerful people are pretty impervious to assassinations for similar reasons, it's not a plot hole.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Most powerful people are pretty impervious to assassinations for similar reasons, it's not a plot hole.
What? Assassinations are crazily common through all parts of real history and fiction alike. There are endless examples of assassination as a political tool and many, many succeed. I'll agree that most powerful people are pretty impervious to incompetent, spur of the moment, or rogue assassinations.

I had forgotten the huge spy operation; I wonder how many actual spies they catch? As I recall, 'spy theory', that is, codified government trained and sanctioned spying as we'd think of it today is a 20th century invention. But an Eater could do a whole lot, assuming they can't be detected magically somehow.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Bhodi posted:

What? Assassinations are crazily common through all parts of real history and fiction alike. There are endless examples of assassination as a political tool and many, many succeed. I'll agree that most powerful people are pretty impervious to incompetent, spur of the moment, or rogue assassinations.

I had forgotten the huge spy operation; I wonder how many actual spies they catch? As I recall, 'spy theory', that is, codified government trained and sanctioned spying as we'd think of it today is a 20th century invention. But an Eater could do a whole lot, assuming they can't be detected magically somehow.
Hell no espionage, intelligence networks, and double agents have been a thing forever. We have records of CIA-like organizations from ancient Egypt, the bible relates stories about spies in ancient Mesopotamian culture and they show up in Greek fables and in Roman histories.

A lot of good reasons have been posted about why it would be difficult to organize an attempt against Bayaz' life in particular, but I think the biggest one for me is that Bayaz is just not very well known on a personal level and doesn't have a lot of enemies. He's a legendary figure who rarely appears and the only person to have it out for him is Khalul. Even things like the massacre he brought on in Ardua are unlikely to be attributed to him by people in the Union, because he controls the propaganda dept.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 9, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bhodi posted:

They are only pretty common in the Roman Empire, and that was because the Praetorian Guard was easier to buy off then a crack whore. The vast majority of powerful politicians, kings, emperors, whatever, did not die of assassination despite them having countless enemies. You tally the list of people who get assassinated with all the world leaders in history and I doubt you'll get past two percent. Possibly even one.

Bhodi posted:

Not really, there have always been intelligence organizations. "Spymasters" etc. Nowhere near as sophisticated as the things we have now but then again nothing is.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 9, 2013

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

where women glow and men plunder
This is such a huge thread, the last couple of pages are all in-depth discussion about the characters and universe.

I just finished Red Country. So that's it then. I devoured all his books in a matter of a few weeks, and now I don't know where to turn. I'm really looking forward to the next trilogy, but that should take a year or two, I suppose.

What did you guys move on to after finishing Abercrombie's books? In my eyes, his stuff is 10/10. "Epic fiction" is usually really cringeworthy, and I dread having to dig through a whole bunch of poo poo to find another peanut. How does Scott Lynch compare to Abercrombie?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Menses at Work posted:

This is such a huge thread, the last couple of pages are all in-depth discussion about the characters and universe.

I just finished Red Country. So that's it then. I devoured all his books in a matter of a few weeks, and now I don't know where to turn. I'm really looking forward to the next trilogy, but that should take a year or two, I suppose.

What did you guys move on to after finishing Abercrombie's books? In my eyes, his stuff is 10/10. "Epic fiction" is usually really cringeworthy, and I dread having to dig through a whole bunch of poo poo to find another peanut. How does Scott Lynch compare to Abercrombie?

Scott Lynch is pretty good. I've only read Lies Of Locke Lamora, but it was exciting and fun to read. Camorr as a setting is totally rad. You could do a lot worse than picking that up.

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

where women glow and men plunder

Down With People posted:

Scott Lynch is pretty good. I've only read Lies Of Locke Lamora, but it was exciting and fun to read. Camorr as a setting is totally rad. You could do a lot worse than picking that up.

Thanks!
Went ahead and bought Lies on my kindle, three minutes after finishing Red Country. I suppose a lot of people have asked what to pick up next after 60-odd pages? If so, I'll start working my way back. I did look into Mark Lawrence, but judging from Goodreads reviews, he might not be what I am looking for. Maybe I'll give Erikson another chance.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
The closest I've ever gotten to anything Abercrombie's style is Tarantino movies, so you're sort of hosed in the book front. It's frustrating, this guy has spoiled me on fantasy literature :(

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mieville's pretty good, but he's a stylistic 180 from Abercrombie.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
It's a bit older, but how about Glen Cook's The Black Company?

Granted, I've been kind of slack on it, and have only finished about 1/2 of the first book, but so far it seems pretty good.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpannerX posted:

It's a bit older, but how about Glen Cook's The Black Company?

Granted, I've been kind of slack on it, and have only finished about 1/2 of the first book, but so far it seems pretty good.

It goes downhill kind of fast after the second book (if you're reading the the collections).

Edit: By second book, I mean the second collection of stories, Books of the South. So, book 6 maybe? I was always a little confused by that. The third and fourth collections I thought were weaker than the first two. Everyone makes really good points, they aren't really bad in an RA Salvatore way, just really different than what came before with different characters. I don't regret reading them , I just liked the first few omnibuses alot more. For the people who like nonstandard fantasy, check out Glen Wolf. Also the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is pretty good too, but has some very weak spots.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 13, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Does it? drat. Oh well, I'll still give it a shot. Don't really have much else to read right now. I could re-read the Gap series by Donaldson shiver

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The first three books are perfectly fine.

After that, things get murky. I haven't read the subsequent books, I generally hear either "Skip them they're awful" or "They're fine, just weird."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They aren't bad, but they do go off in a number of unexpected directions.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I thought The Black Company was good right up to the end, it just changes a hell of a lot. Cook probably wasn't sure where he was going with the series so it ended up in weird places. If you expect every book to be like a Vietnam vet's war journal like the first couple books are, then yeah I can see people getting disappointed. But read the first three books and The Silver Spike side-story, they own.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The best description that I've come across for The Black Company is that it is like The Lord of the Rings told from the point of view of a medic in Sauron's army.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Agreeing. The initial Black Company trilogy was a great read, but the subsequent novels where they travel south gets really weird and strung out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Black Company is 10 books, currently collected into four omnibuses (omnibi?).

The first three books are the Books Of The North, and they are great. An elite mercenary unit ends up working for the Big Bad Evil Overlord(ess) and things get...complicated.

The second omnibus contains a follow-on novel from the first, and the two Books of the South, where the (very few) surviving members of the mercenary unit decide to head south in search of...something. I liked them a lot, but I'm a sucker for non-standard fantasy analogue cultures (you get fantasy-Zulus, a fantasy-India with fantasy-Buddhists and fantasy-Hindus and fantasy-Thugees, and even a fantasy-Vietnam).

The third and fourth omnibuses contain the four books of The Glittering Plain, which are long, discursive, wandering, and strangely plotted. I doubt I would have finished them if I hadn't been so keen on the characters from the first trilogy and willing to slog to anything to learn how it all ends up.

Read 'em in order, quit when you stop enjoying them. But definitely pick up the first trilogy.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Oh Snapple! posted:

After that, things get murky. I haven't read the subsequent books, I generally hear either "Skip them they're awful" or "They're fine, just weird."
I'm one of the people that actually likes the the subsequent books, but I'd agree they suffer because Cook starts experimenting with different things and it doesn't work out well in a lot of the cases. Two of the books are basically the same story from different perspectives (with wildly different narrators) which ends up just stretching the books far longer than it should and a lot of the plot elements in the last couple of books are just incredibly out there (in a good way, but still super loving weird)

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 13, 2013

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Julius Caesar and a few others notwithstanding, political assassination wasn't really even a tool until VMRO started in the late 19th century and various anarchist and nationalist groups copied them. Medieval nobility was considered to have divine right to rule so assassination would have been a mortal sin against God in Islam and Christianity. Even then, assassination was very imprecise. Usually it involved a pistol fired several times at short range or a bomb thrown into an enclosed space.

Your "trope" of the archer on the rooftop is inspired by the Kennedy assassination, which obviously took place many technological leaps past The First Law.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Read the first trilogy and the Silver Spike, definitely. After that read more and see if you like it, just be aware that it never returns to the style of the first three books. So if you're waiting for that, don't bother.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Julius Caesar and a few others notwithstanding, political assassination wasn't really even a tool until VMRO started in the late 19th century and various anarchist and nationalist groups copied them. Medieval nobility was considered to have divine right to rule so assassination would have been a mortal sin against God in Islam and Christianity. Even then, assassination was very imprecise. Usually it involved a pistol fired several times at short range or a bomb thrown into an enclosed space.

On the other hand, the Assassins developed in the Islamic world in the Middle Ages. They killed two Caliphs and an uncountable number of other people in order to keep everyone in fear. They also didn't mind if they died in the process, and that mindset might give an assassin an edge over Bayaz or Khalul. Especially if the assassin posed as a bodyguard or a friend for years or decades at first.

I find it interesting how the real world Assassins found their end after trying to assassinate a Mongol Khan. He got so pissed he stormed their unstormanle fortress. The organization that could kill anyone got its rear end handed to itself by an army that could kill everyone.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I just finished the Black Company series, two days ago...going to go ahead, and join the chorus of folks suggesting it. If you enjoy Abercrombie, you'll likely enjoy Cook's series. I even really enjoyed the weird directions that it went, once I got over missing the narrator of the first three novels.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Rurik posted:

On the other hand, the Assassins developed in the Islamic world in the Middle Ages. They killed two Caliphs and an uncountable number of other people in order to keep everyone in fear. They also didn't mind if they died in the process, and that mindset might give an assassin an edge over Bayaz or Khalul. Especially if the assassin posed as a bodyguard or a friend for years or decades at first.

I find it interesting how the real world Assassins found their end after trying to assassinate a Mongol Khan. He got so pissed he stormed their unstormanle fortress. The organization that could kill anyone got its rear end handed to itself by an army that could kill everyone.

The Ismailis killed one Seljuk vizir, Jagatai Khan, and a few Christian nobles; they never killed any Caliphs. Most of those were also at the behest and with the aid of political rivals of those they killed.

Given that the Gurkish would have to sneak an assassin into the Union under the nose of the Inquisition, find a millennia old archmage who has the power to level entire cities, and then knife him in close quarters... well, I don't think it's a realistic worry for Bayaz. Bayaz doesn't have any friends, either, and his 'bodyguard' is an Eater. Shenkt was probably the most likely to be able to kill him, but obviously he did not do so when he had the chance.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The Ismailis killed one Seljuk vizir, Jagatai Khan, and a few Christian nobles; they never killed any Caliphs. Most of those were also at the behest and with the aid of political rivals of those they killed.

Funny, this book I read spoke about two Caliphs.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Red Country spoiler

That's what Logen looks like in my brain. Dumb sexed up version of Shy though.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Red Country spoiler

That's what Logen looks like in my brain. Dumb sexed up version of Shy though.

People talk about Logen being a really big guy, but I always understood that to mean that he is tall and very heavily muscled. That drawing on the other hand makes him look like a giant the size of Fenris, which I dont think is right at all.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
He's been a little Space Marine'd there, but I though Shy was meant to be five foot nothing, while Logen is an easy 6'6".

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
For some reason in my head I always imagined Ninefingers to look like Daddy Nier, same voice and everything, except in a lot less fetish gear. I pictured Shivers looking more like comic Ninefingers.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

He's been a little Space Marine'd there, but I though Shy was meant to be five foot nothing, while Logen is an easy 6'6".

Really? I always pictured Shy to be of average height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
It makes sense that there's over a foot of height difference between Logan and Shy. The picture looks like it's closer to one and a half feet than one foot so Logan's probably pretty tall and Shy's pretty short.