Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

So it's all baseless then? Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

So it's all baseless then? Okay.

Eddie Bravo says a LOT of stupid poo poo, but none of it changes the fact that he's a very good black belt.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I think the primary reason Eddie is "controversial" or whatever is because of all the outlandish things he's said over the years. If he beat Royler and then talked about how hard he trained and that he was pretty stoked on the techniques he invented than everyone would have given him his props and that's it. Instead he made a bunch of controversial statements like "If you want to be the best in nogi don't train in the gi", "10th Planet is going to dominate nogi grappling/MMA/submission only tournaments" and so on.

My personal opinion is Eddie is VERY good at Jiu Jitsu, very mediocre at teaching it, and at least in a sports jiu jitsu context his innovations haven't really proven to be that useful. If Fatherdog says a bunch of people use it successfully in MMA I'll take him at his word since I basically stopped watching MMA years ago, but you almost never see Rubber Guard in a sports context(I know Vinny used it against Werdum at the last ADCC but I'm struggling to think of another time I've seen it used at ADCC or IBJJF black belt events or similar level tournaments) and I don't think I've ever seen someone successfully use lockdown at the higher levels.

edit:

fatherdog posted:

Eddie Bravo says a LOT of stupid poo poo, but none of it changes the fact that he's a very good black belt.

Totally agree with this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

People go to mission control all the time in the UFC and Rogan spurts about it, but it rarely leads to anything.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

nemoulette posted:

Sorry to harp on about this but the whole 10th planet thing of wearing gi pants still doesn't make any sense

They're comfy. Gi pants and a rashguard is legal in most no-gi competetions.

His reason for eschewing the gi is he wanted to focus on jiu jitsu as it applies to MMA, which is fine, but the people who haven't abandoned the gi are the people still competing in gi. And perhaps he could've been one of the best no gi guys in the world if he hadn't retired after a 4th place ADCC run. If he'd worked hard and made another run at it in '05, who knows, but as it stands if he walked into ADCC this year he'd most likely get destroyed by the current crop of top guys.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

They're comfy. Gi pants and a rashguard is legal in most no-gi competetions.

His reason for eschewing the gi is he wanted to focus on jiu jitsu as it applies to MMA, which is fine, but the people who haven't abandoned the gi are the people still competing in gi. And perhaps he could've been one of the best no gi guys in the world if he hadn't retired after a 4th place ADCC run. If he'd worked hard and made another run at it in '05, who knows, but as it stands if he walked into ADCC this year he'd most likely get destroyed by the current crop of top guys.

Are gi pants legal in most nogi tournaments? They aren't legal in IBJJF tournaments and I've never seen anyone wear them in ADCC.

Also, If I remember correctly when Eddie first started teaching nogi he didn't talk to much about rubber guard for MMA. He talked about liking nogi better than gi and that training nogi only was better for those focused on nogi competition. He didn't start talking about it in an MMA context until later.

I agree with you that Eddie would get destroyed at ADCC this year but I think almost everyone else who competed in 2003 would too. The level of competitors is much higher than it was then and most people are going to be past their prime 10 years after a specific tournament.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

dokomoy posted:

Are gi pants legal in most nogi tournaments? They aren't legal in IBJJF tournaments and I've never seen anyone wear them in ADCC.

Also, If I remember correctly when Eddie first started teaching nogi he didn't talk to much about rubber guard for MMA. He talked about liking nogi better than gi and that training nogi only was better for those focused on nogi competition. He didn't start talking about it in an MMA context until later.

I agree with you that Eddie would get destroyed at ADCC this year but I think almost everyone else who competed in 2003 would too. The level of competitors is much higher than it was then and most people are going to be past their prime 10 years after a specific tournament.

At the smaller ones I've been to they've been legal. I think IBJJF has some really stupid rules about attire for no-gi if I'm not mistaken. I think NAGA and Grappler's Quest don't care.

Eddie has said on numerous occasions, including the Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD, that he liked rubber guard because it meant you couldn't get hit and that he used it in case he was ever "forced to do MMA".

The finals of the 2011 -77 kg division was the dude who won that division in '03 and the dude who won -66 kg in '03 (beating Eddie in the process). Bravo's still rolling regularly in the gym, he just doesn't compete.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
I'd love to see metamoris go full no-gi. A lot less double-rear end footjobbing would occur.

Also you should be able to lose by ring out like Virtua Fighter. Then Cyborg could have just shot on Shaub when he was doing the "I'm on the edge you can't shoot" poo poo.

And if a guy does the "smacking your head" poo poo, he should be shot by snipers from the rafters.

nemoulette posted:

Sorry to harp on about this but the whole 10th planet thing of wearing gi pants still doesn't make any sense

Gi pants are comfortable, many grapplers own them any way, and they don't give your opponent a loving rope to wrap around your neck.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

dokomoy posted:

Arona has no knees now and still wouldn't get a point scored against him.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Please someone find that video of Arona getting sucker punched in a grappling match.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Please someone find that video of Arona getting sucker punched in a grappling match.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DnL145zU4

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It seems a little silly to wear gi pants in a nogi tournament because I feel like there's no way they aren't going to get grabbed, illegal or not

widunder
May 2, 2002

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Gi pants are comfortable, many grapplers own them any way, and they don't give your opponent a loving rope to wrap around your neck.
That's fine, I suppose I just don't get training in a getup that isn't really used in competitions if you have ambitions beyond TMA/LARPing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

As soon as kicks and punches begin, Arona's hands go down to waist level, and his head becomes perfectly vertical, like he has a steel rod in his spine. It is beautiful.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Kareem Barkalaev kind of just dropped off the face of the earth. After the Arona incident he claims he spent a few days locked up under arrest still shirtless and in the shorts he was competing in. Then fought in Warriors War in Kuwait weighed in heavy I think and still competed and subbed Pele. Then that's it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Dangersim posted:

It seems a little silly to wear gi pants in a nogi tournament because I feel like there's no way they aren't going to get grabbed, illegal or not

Pretty much and you can't really fault people for doing it. Everyone is mentally conditioned to grab gi pants.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

nemoulette posted:

That's fine, I suppose I just don't get training in a getup that isn't really used in competitions if you have ambitions beyond TMA/LARPing.

Training in a gi is larping? Cmon son.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

always be closing posted:

If you're talking about the art's relevance to real life? Yeah, a bit. You're training for a scenario where you're attacked by Hugh Hefner basically. It's not as bad as ninjitsu classes or whatever, but you're definitely training in unrealistic attire as deference to tradition/because it's part of the sport/it lets you do cool chokes.

That said, gis are awesome.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If you're talking about the art's relevance to real life? Yeah, a bit. You're training for a scenario where you're attacked by Hugh Hefner basically. It's not as bad as ninjitsu classes or whatever, but you're definitely training in unrealistic attire as deference to tradition/because it's part of the sport/it lets you do cool chokes.

Hold on, lemme put on my judo three-piece suit before I get mugged.

widunder
May 2, 2002

always be closing posted:

Oh no, I train in a gi, it's great. I'm saying that if you aren't training in whatever garment simulates competition (no gi / gi / KURTKAS :ussr: / whatever) closely then I don't get the practicality of it. You can't, as far as I know, grab pants in any known no gi ruleset I'm aware of so you're just adding extra friction that you won't have as soon as you compete :confused:

Of course, if you just train for fun, giggles or self defense then it's perfectly fine. But that's not really how 10th Planet is marketed I don't think.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Isn't the idea behind a GI that it 's a good sturdy form of clothing that you can use in training which simulates everyday clothes? If you, for some strange reason, actually train with real world self defence as a goal, then a gi seems a fair bit more realistic than the rashguards I wear for SW and MMA practise.

As far as competition goes I kind of agree with nemoulette. BJJ guys often seem to claim that to get better at no gi and MMA grappling it is helpful, even essential, to train with a gi as well, but that seems pretty counter intuitive to me. It seems much more efficient to train the actual sport you aim to compete in instead.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 13, 2013

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

DekeThornton posted:

Isn't the idea behind a GI that it 's a good sturdy form of clothing that you can use in training which simulates everyday clothes.

I guess that depends on your definition of everyday clothes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

MycroftXXX posted:

I guess that depends on your definition of everyday clothes.

True. I'll rest easy knowing that my lack of gi training won't be a problem when I'm attacked by Uriah Faber.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

DekeThornton posted:

True. I'll rest easy knowing that my lack of gi training won't be a problem when I'm attacked by Uriah Faber.

well if you really want to be tactical you'd keep an extra gi and throw it on him before the fight, then he'd really be screwed.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Neurosis posted:

As soon as kicks and punches begin, Arona's hands go down to waist level, and his head becomes perfectly vertical, like he has a steel rod in his spine. It is beautiful.

He must do this to draw your eyes up, away from his abs, so you never see the leg kicks coming

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DekeThornton posted:

Isn't the idea behind a GI that it 's a good sturdy form of clothing that you can use in training which simulates everyday clothes? If you, for some strange reason, actually train with real world self defence as a goal, then a gi seems a fair bit more realistic than the rashguards I wear for SW and MMA practise.

As far as competition goes I kind of agree with nemoulette. BJJ guys often seem to claim that to get better at no gi and MMA grappling it is helpful, even essential, to train with a gi as well, but that seems pretty counter intuitive to me. It seems much more efficient to train the actual sport you aim to compete in instead.

You can't really make an assumptions about what a person might be wearing when they attack you (maybe you will be attacked by a naked hobo), so it seems like the most effective training for self-defense would be to train grappling with no additional handles beyond whatever your opponent's body provides.

fake edit: I think I just said that the thing missing from modern grappling is ancient Grecian Olympic wrestling dick-grab throws.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

You can't really make an assumptions about what a person might be wearing when they attack you (maybe you will be attacked by a naked hobo), so it seems like the most effective training for self-defense would be to train grappling with no additional handles beyond whatever your opponent's body provides.

Well, one counterargument is that things like a RNC are considerably harder with a gi (or other jacket) in the way. Also you don't know what YOU will be wearing; you wouldn't want someone to grab your jacket and suddenly find out you don't know anything about grip breaks and stuff.

Ultimately there's no reason not to just train both.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fake edit: I think I just said that the thing missing from modern grappling is ancient Grecian Olympic wrestling dick-grab throws.

No-gi teaches you not to rely on there being easy handles on your opponent, but the flipside is that it also teaches you that you aren't covered in easy handles yourself, which you are. Assuming that you wear clothes most of the time. They're both equally applicable to self defence. No-gi gets you comfortable with the worst case scenario offensively, gi gets you comfortable with the worst case scenario defensively.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I practice gi and nipple twisting for use in emergency naked fight scenarios. Will youtube some sick ancient Grecian Olympic wrestling dick-grab throws as well.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
BJJ is really bad for self defense but its really good for jumping somebody.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
But I guess a brick is better for jumping somebody. So get a brick, and do jiu-jitsu if it is a hobby that you enjoy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The way Eddie Bravo's rise to prominence etc was explained to me by my coach was that he's a good black belt and he's trained a lot of good BJJ practitioners but gets flac within some elements of the community because he's been most successful using traditional techniques but claims his success has come from his superior created or borrowed techniques.

Also people wear clothes, they wear jackets, you can grab the sleeve of a hoodie as easy as you can the sleeve of a gi. I started in no gi and I wear gi pants when I roll no gi. It makes it easier to lock down triangles and half guard etc when you get sweaty it also prevents getting mat burn which can lead to infection. I don't mind wearing a gi, but I find I'm much, much faster and overall better when I'm not wearing a jacket. I'm trying to close those holes in my game by doing more in a gi but having to defend my lapels and sleeves was a bit of an eye-opener.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WkmgQQhVSw&t=50s

(say it again)

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
When it comes to chokes there are no tough guys.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
USA Judo is streaming the Miami Grand Prix live today and tomorrow. No cost. Lots of good Judo so far today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The World Team Trials for wrestling are this weekend. 74kg in particular should be pretty awesome, with Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Andrew Howe, and Trent Paulson all wrestling today for the opportunity to lose to Jordan Burroughs. Flowrestling will be streaming, but you have to subscribe to see it. Bloody Elbow has a decent preview posted

If you want to follow @USAWrestling and @Flowrestling generally do a good job with updates.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 21, 2013

widunder
May 2, 2002
Miyao bros got their black belts

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Weren't they purple only like a year or two ago?

widunder
May 2, 2002

the least weasel posted:

Weren't they purple only like a year or two ago?
and then ran through the open weight brown belt division despite being literal children at thirty kilos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Assholes.