Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

The existence of 'traditions' like foot binding is the reason I'm not a cultural relativist. The good news is that this practice has been almost completely eradicated.

But foot binding was done away by Chinese feminists. Part of the reason that female circumcision is still around is because of the patronizing attitudes of western people towards the cultures that practice it.

This book talks about it. http://books.google.com/books?id=rhhRXiJIGEcC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I spent some time in the British Library a few years ago reading translations from a kind of historical Chinese foot fanatics publication called Picking Radishes. It wasn't uncommon for men to steal lotus shoes, there were some reports of the shoes later being retuned full of jizz. Yeah. Another rather disgusting sexual foot thang I read from Picking Radishes surrounded the smell of bound feet. In particular the funk of decaying flesh and the putrid sweat from the folds caused by the foot, well, being folded in on itself. Huffing on foot stench was a real turn on for some men. There were many accounts of husbands delighting in the drinking of the water their wives used to wash their decaying feet in too.

Good lord that poo poo behind the spoiler tags almost made me vomit.

It's absolutely fascinating to learn about the weirdest things about other cultures, but that was a bit much for me.

Msdoomngloom
May 3, 2013

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Sorry about all the questions but I've never gotten to talk to someone who almost died like this before - Is there just a huge gap in your memory between "at the gym" and "woke up in the hospital a week later"? Did you dream at all? Do you have a feeling of "missing time," IE a feeling that you existed during that week and just can't remember it, or does it feel more like you teleported right from the gym to waking up in the hospital and that week never happened?

I don't remember being at the gym nor any of the first week I was in the hospital. I honestly
Have zero recollection of this. I've been told what happened. It doesn't feel like missing time at all.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Foot binding is a fascinating part of Chinese culture. It was seen at the time the way ear-piercing is seen today - an unnecessary and painful* procedure that left the woman more beautiful for having done it. It also highlights how beauty is partly a construct of culture.

It was also very much tied to societal class - women with bound feet had a hell of a time walking, as you might expect, so it was pretty much limited to the upper classes who could afford to let their women be idle - peasant families needed their women up and working. Part of the reason foot-binding was banned by the PRC is that it was too "bourgeois."

*Obviously foot binding is much more painful and destructive than ear-piercing. My point is both involve pain, not that they are equally painful.)

I have a bad habit of reading about plane crashes on Wikipedia. Probably the most haunting one to me is PSA 182. The pilots of the 747 hit a Cessna in mid-air, which caught one of the engines on fire; both planes crashed into a San Diego neighborhood, killing everyone in the planes and 7 people on the ground and destroying 22 homes. The worst part is the CVR transcript: the pilots in the 747 are recorded thinking they've passed the Cessna, when it was actually beneath them. They hear the crash and realize they're doomed, and radio the tower that they're going down.
code:
09:01:51 	Captain 	What have we got here?
09:01:52 	First officer 	It's bad
09:01:52 	Captain 	Huh?
09:01:53 	First officer 	We're hit man, we are hit
09:01:55 	Captain (to Lindbergh tower) 	Tower, we're going down, this is PSA
09:01:57 	Lindbergh tower 	OK, we'll call the equipment for you
09:01:58 	Unknown 	Whoo!
09:01:58 	((Sound of stall warning))
09:01:59 	Captain (to Lindbergh tower) 	This is it, baby
09:01:59 	Unknown 	Bob
09:02:00 	First officer 	# # #
09:02:01 	Unknown 	# #
09:02:03 	Captain (on intercom, to passengers) 	Brace yourself
09:02:04 	Unknown 	Hey, baby *
09:02:04 	Unknown 	Ma, I love ya
Replace the #'s with "gently caress." I just can't imagine sitting in the cockpit, watching the ground get closer and knowing you're doomed and can do nothing about it.

If you feel really ghoulish there's an audio recording of part of the CVR.

Lemon Cello
Sep 2, 2011

you're posting...

This happened about three blocks from my ex's house. He watched the plane go down as he walked to class, and I think one of his classmate's parents was killed on the ground :smith:.

On the topic of 9/11, 102 Minutes That Changed America is really tough for me to watch - the NYU students and the firefighter who calls his mom to tell her "everyone's dead" are probably the worst.
This is straying pretty far from wikipedia pages, isn't it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Msdoomngloom posted:

I don't remember being at the gym nor any of the first week I was in the hospital. I honestly have zero recollection of this. I've been told what happened. It doesn't feel like missing time at all.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity and sorry for bugging you about it. I'm glad you're alright :shobon:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Part of the reason that female circumcision is still around is because of the patronizing attitudes of western people towards the cultures that practice it.

This book talks about it. http://books.google.com/books?id=rhhRXiJIGEcC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=

That isn't really what it says at all. It says that westerners are taking a culturally insensitive and haphazard approach to ending female circumcision that doesn't appear to be very effective and in some cases is harmful on a political/potentially economic level, but your post suggests that western attitudes are causing the practice to persist longer than it might have without interference and there's nothing in the text that even implies that. The text is just undermining those other practices while mildly suggesting a different interventionist approach.

Foot-binding ended because the change came from within the culture it occurred in. I don't know why this guy Mackie thinks that going to a foreign culture as outsiders and trying to convince them to adopt practices that worked in an entirely different culture in an entire different period of human development is going to be much more effective than the other approaches (not to say those are good either). The only way it really seems to differ is that it aims for rapid social change as opposed to gradual, and it's not hard to see why such a thing would be drastically different when propelled by members of a culture as opposed to outside organizers. I mean I guess if he can introduce the idea on a massive scale while also hiding the fact that it came from an American political science professor it might work.

mr. mephistopheles has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Jun 14, 2013

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Lemon Cello posted:

On the topic of 9/11, 102 Minutes That Changed America is really tough for me to watch - the NYU students and the firefighter who calls his mom to tell her "everyone's dead" are probably the worst.

Jesus. I was only eleven on that day, and I don't think I've really revisited the whole thing in this sort of way since I have become an adult. It's sort of amazing what our minds do to events like these. It also makes a huge difference that this was made using homemade recordings and such, because I had only seen the news coverage. I think I need to go curl up or something.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Lemon Cello posted:

Great. Now I'm watching a 9/11 documentary on youtube alone on a Friday night.

Edit - Ugh. The scream of the people who were filming from their apartment when the second plane hit. Horrifying.

tnimark has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Jun 14, 2013

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The story of Rick Rescorla ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla) on 9/11 always hosed with me. There was a special about him on 20/20 in 2001/2001 and they talked about how he went back into the building to make sure his people were out, then as the building were coming down, he tried to reach his wife and left her a message of him singing the song he wrote her. :(

Prettt much any nerve gas freaks me out, Sarin and VX in particular. ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_(nerve_agent) They taught us a bunch about them in the service and an assortment of others too. They taught us that if you ever smell something unusual-like hay or a fruity scent and there is no obvious source, it might be Nerve gas...Now everytime I smell something unusual, a small part of me assumes I am going to die a horrible death. :-/

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dr Scoofles posted:

That's some 'on the fringes stuff' I remember from my copious readings. The majority of the stuff I found was extremely poetic and beautiful and almost exclusively written by men who didn't have to endure the agony. My friend is half Chinese and her Grandma still has bound feet, she's very old but still gets about. A part of me wants to ask her about it, but I never will.

You probably already know from your reading but as I understand it, most men rarely (if ever) saw a rotting foot basically folded in on itself, just these tiny little feet wrapped in beautiful shoes. Those crazy fringe guys being an exception. A big part of the appeal of it was the mystique of this body part no man was ever allowed to see. Along with other weirder things like the way it changed a woman's gait and limited her ability to leave the home.

That wiki article reminded me of some old body modification practices that would probably leave a person looking pretty unnerving by our standards anyway. Specifically, cranial deformation, most famously practiced by the Maya and Inca, along with plenty of others. They were also known for filing their teeth and purposefully making their children cross-eyed, although I'm not sure how much of that has been verified.

And just to show that Europe can be creepy too, we have stuff like tightlacing.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

bulletsponge13 posted:

Prettt much any nerve gas freaks me out, Sarin and VX in particular. ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_(nerve_agent) They taught us a bunch about them in the service and an assortment of others too. They taught us that if you ever smell something unusual-like hay or a fruity scent and there is no obvious source, it might be Nerve gas...Now everytime I smell something unusual, a small part of me assumes I am going to die a horrible death. :-/

This always got to me,..All of the Nuclear Biological Chemical stuff we were taught was basically "Welp, if you survive the initial wave of deaths, more power to ya, now do whatever duty you were sworn to do until some parts of you start either melting, spewing blood, bursting into huge lesions etc and then you can kind of lay down and die horribly, alright guys! Hooah!"
But what else is there to do, honestly? If you can help the situation slightly and get some data about what is going on sent, it might help people farther away who are getting slightly less all horribly killed. But certain situations presented were genuinely horrifying. I forget what would cause this to happen, but one of the scenarios was a gas that would screw you over even if you had complete personal protection- If you got misted with it, or came into any type of contact with it by being aerosolized or in water puddles it would start eating away at anything rubber just as much as it loved to eat skin and moist tissue. So imagine your nice 100% sealed and protective gloves boots and gasmask all melting on to you and if you take it off, have fun spitting out liquefied lungs while your eyes do the same!

I was going to post the wiki link to duck and cover, but I'm pretty sure that's been talked about before. My Dad still gets The Fear when he hears one of those sirens.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
There's men who do a thousand things and never make a drat bit of difference in anything and die. I think that's unnerving. How the world ticks on and everyone's tears dry. I'm sure there's a name for it.

Then there was once a man named Fritz Haber.

He was a cool dude. You can thank him for potentially half the nitrogen in your body.

He was also a bad dude. You can thank him for the first use of chlorine gas in war.

And you can thank him, sadly, for Zyklon A, a friendly, more stinky friend of Zyklon B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Haber

And in comparison to the futility of a thousand men, I think his legacy is just as unnerving. But I'm sure there's a bunch like him.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Helmacron posted:

And you can thank him, sadly, for Zyklon A, a friendly, more stinky friend of Zyklon B.
Speaking of which...

quote:

Zyklon B is still in production in the Czech Republic in the factory Draslovka Kolín a.s. in the city of Kolín, under the tradename Uragan D2, and is sold for the purpose of eradicating insects and small animals. The Czech word uragan means "hurricane" or "cyclone" in English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyklon_B

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Parkinson's disease, especially parkinsonian post-encephalitic syndrome, especially when it turns up after the epidemic sleeping sickness (the endemic sleeping sickness is nasty, too, but not as nasty).

Until I read Oliver Sacks' Awakenings, I was under the impression that Parkinson's disease is an illness of motion and all that happens is you get stiff and awkward and need help walking.

What actually happens is that your brain loses all sense of scale and, especially in post-encephalitic syndromes, that can lead to akinetic mutism and other such loveliness.

I highly recommend reading Awakenings, if you're interested in neurology. It's amazing stuff and very unnerving. Also, Oliver Sacks is incredibly respectful of his patients and always very careful to present them as people with problems and not "case studies". :unsmith:

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

weavernaut posted:

I highly recommend reading Awakenings, if you're interested in neurology. It's amazing stuff and very unnerving. Also, Oliver Sacks is incredibly respectful of his patients and always very careful to present them as people with problems and not "case studies". :unsmith:

In fairness, it's mainly to sell books. They're interesting books and all, but let's admit that he's more of a savvy marketer than a transcendently respectful person.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

In fairness back, I never got that impression and I'm unsure how you did, either. But I don't want to derail.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

nocal posted:

In fairness, it's mainly to sell books. They're interesting books and all, but let's admit that he's more of a savvy marketer than a transcendently respectful person.

Ouch, that feels like insulting Mr Rogers. I admit it's been a few years, but I've read a couple of Sacks' books multiple times. Empathy seemed like his most useful tool as a neurologist. If that was an act, he would have needed to make up his interactions with and understanding of his patients at every turn. I'm sure he likes selling books, but I can't read his books or listen to his interviews without believing that his motivation is interest in individuals.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Mescal posted:

Ouch, that feels like insulting Mr Rogers. I admit it's been a few years, but I've read a couple of Sacks' books multiple times. Empathy seemed like his most useful tool as a neurologist. If that was an act, he would have needed to make up his interactions with and understanding of his patients at every turn. I'm sure he likes selling books, but I can't read his books or listen to his interviews without believing that his motivation is interest in individuals.

Pop-science can make good books that make a lot of different things relatable, but they also gloss over nuance and package things in ways that, while easy for readers to consume, are not 100% accurate reflections of reality. There's also the whole thing of packaging people's struggles and suffering for consumption, in a way that doesn't usually involve remunerating them for it. Same argument has been made about journalists, even empathetic ones. It's still taking someone's lived experience and packaging it for profit, which involves a certain degree of cold detachment from the issue. It doesn't make him a bad person, but I think nocal's right that attributing it all to selflessness on Sacks' part is going a little far. Sacks does also display a pretty good instinct for self-promotion from everything I've seen. Hell, just check out his website. It's actually a pretty useful talent, and he's not extremely brazen or crass about it.

I certainly like Sacks a lot better than Jill Boyle Taylor, who's much more of a shameless self-promoter and use a lot less real science in her talks and book, all the while giving false hope to stroke victims about how they can turn it into a transcendental experience.

VVVV Sort of relates to the same thing. His compassion didn't prevent him from packaging the stories for public consumption, or using them to gain notoriety.

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jun 15, 2013

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I wasn't talking about selflessness, I was talking about compassion and his genuine understanding of what it's like to deal with a chronic illness. :confused:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

weavernaut posted:

I wasn't talking about selflessness, I was talking about compassion and his genuine understanding of what it's like to deal with a chronic illness. :confused:

He has compassion and empathy for his patients, but also knows personal stories of people with chronic illness sell better than clinical histories of chronic illness patients. Nothing wrong with any of it, just a matter of knowing your audience as well as you do your patients.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
It seems pretty silly to say that presenting something as a case study make it morally worse. Just because you have feels doesn't make it either better or not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Well now I have some Oliver Sacks books, so good one guys.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of something that hasn't been posted yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_Zion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum

Are a couple of bullshit books that people put far too much stock into. You can't bring this up anywhere, though, because some jerk will appear and ask why you left out the bible and then it's Just A Religious Debate.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Since we've been posting about murders and such, I'd like to share some about a murder which was committed only about fifteen miles from where I live. The close proximity to where I live and the nature of the crime are what make it particularly haunting to me. It's the notorious case of Susan Smith, a mother who strapped her two children, a baby and a toddler, into the backseat of her Mazda and let it roll into a local lake, drowning them. It made international news after she reported the children missing, making up a bullshit, racist story (go figure, sadly--it is a very rural country of South Carolina, I hear casual racism every day and every day it pisses me off just the same, you never really get used to it). She blamed it on a black guy carjacker her with the kids in the backseat. That alone got mild national attention, but what really made it blow up is when she confessed. I would guess that at least some of you remember this case. I know I do--I was only three years older than the oldest child, and the youngest was only a few months younger than my little brother, and as it was two boys in this area who were that age, my family reacted to it in a way that I'll never forget. Anyway, I am sharing both the Wikipedia entry, which is rather lacking, but also the TruTV Crime Library entries for her heinous murders, because it has a lot more information and detail.

Helmacron posted:

Jumping out of the parenthesis, this is the best article about forgetting your baby in a car and finding a dead baby later!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549_pf.html
This was absolutely heart-wrenching. It tore my soul from my body and shat on it. I have shown it to three other friends now, and it has made all of them and myself at least tear up a little, if not cry outright. The article is incredibly well-written, and the information in the story was gathered in a very compelling way. It's an impressively poignant article and I thank you for sharing. Sure, it made me weep, but it was entirely worth the read, and brought my attention to something I was dangerously unaware of. I mean, here in the US South we often heard and still sometimes hear about things like a neglectful parent leaving their kids in the car to go play video poker for hours and the kid dying, which is despicable, but to just get so distracted that you unintentionally take the life of one of your most precious and beloved... I don't know what to say other than I hate living in a world where that's a possibility, and I don't know how someone who has done that can live in that world. Astonishing.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This has never stopped being horrifying: "Daddy ate my eyes".

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x339729128/Bakersfield-dad-accused-of-biting-out-sons-eye

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zombie Raptor posted:

Since we've been posting about murders and such, I'd like to share some about a murder which was committed only about fifteen miles from where I live. The close proximity to where I live and the nature of the crime are what make it particularly haunting to me. It's the notorious case of Susan Smith, a mother who strapped her two children, a baby and a toddler, into the backseat of her Mazda and let it roll into a local lake, drowning them. It made international news after she reported the children missing, making up a bullshit, racist story (go figure, sadly--it is a very rural country of South Carolina, I hear casual racism every day and every day it pisses me off just the same, you never really get used to it). She blamed it on a black guy carjacker her with the kids in the backseat. That alone got mild national attention, but what really made it blow up is when she confessed. I would guess that at least some of you remember this case. I know I do--I was only three years older than the oldest child, and the youngest was only a few months younger than my little brother, and as it was two boys in this area who were that age, my family reacted to it in a way that I'll never forget. Anyway, I am sharing both the Wikipedia entry, which is rather lacking, but also the TruTV Crime Library entries for her heinous murders, because it has a lot more information and detail.

The one thing I'll never forget about this case is that they actually arrested a guy on the basis of her totally fake police report. When she confessed, there was a totally innocent guy getting grilled and set up to go to trial for no other reason than he was black. It scares the hell out of me that the cops are so gung-ho to solve a crime that they'll run off and bust somebody without bothering to check up on the story at all. They were listening to the killer the whole time but never thought to check her out because the story matched so closely what they expected to hear.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Does anyone remember the case of the woman who claimed for years that someone was stalking her, but no one believed her. And one day she was found dead? They never had any suspects and some even thought that maybe she killed herself and staged it as a murder.
I think it was in a similar SA thread once, but I can't remember.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

into the void posted:

Does anyone remember the case of the woman who claimed for years that someone was stalking her, but no one believed her. And one day she was found dead? They never had any suspects and some even thought that maybe she killed herself and staged it as a murder.

I remember this case but not the name of the person. Can't find it on google either.

Kimba
Jun 25, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The one thing I'll never forget about this case is that they actually arrested a guy on the basis of her totally fake police report. When she confessed, there was a totally innocent guy getting grilled and set up to go to trial for no other reason than he was black. It scares the hell out of me that the cops are so gung-ho to solve a crime that they'll run off and bust somebody without bothering to check up on the story at all. They were listening to the killer the whole time but never thought to check her out because the story matched so closely what they expected to hear.

My sons were her sons ages when she did this. Oh Grrr I cried and raged at this! At the expense of being probated again,I am half the world away (Brisbane, Australia) and swore when I heard what she had done that I would be there waiting for her on the day of her release to spit in her face and let her know that the world will never forget. Wow some intense emotions flowing here. Thanks for reminding me of my oath. Nothing has ever since made me want to ..... so bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Jack Gladney posted:

At least he wasn't convicted. If it were the same place just 60 years or so ago, he'd have been executed formally or informally before she confessed. Sorry to echo Michael Richards.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

into the void posted:

Cindy James. She was the subject of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. I'm sure I've seen it on YouTube but I can't find it now.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Cindy_James

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Kimba posted:

My sons were her sons ages when she did this. Oh Grrr I cried and raged at this! At the expense of being probated again,I am half the world away (Brisbane, Australia) and swore when I heard what she had done that I would be there waiting for her on the day of her release to spit in her face and let her know that the world will never forget. Wow some intense emotions flowing here. Thanks for reminding me of my oath. Nothing has ever since made me want to ..... so bad.

As much as I think making an 'oath' about this sort of thing is kind of bizarre, given the fact that child murders are all too common and there are some much more gruesome stories to get upset about, I've noticed that a lot of people have one story that affects them more than any of the others. It usually seems to be because you relate to the victim in one way or another, or you can't fathom how anybody could commit the crime that they did. Or maybe you were the right sort of age to take note of just how publicised the crime was. Whatever it is, some stories just stick with you. This is mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Joanna_Yeates

Edit: She was 25 years old and lived with her boyfriend. He was away for the weekend and she went for drinks with some friends after work. She walked home that evening, stopped at a local shop to buy some food for later and then just disappeared. When her boyfriend returned home a day or so later, he found her phone and purse, as well as the food, inside the flat, but Joanna was nowhere to be seen. They found her body on Christmas Day in a lane not far from the flat, half-buried in the snow. It turned out that her neighbour was responsible for her death. He'd gone into her flat for whatever reason, she panicked and he strangled her to death. And that was it.

Tibor has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Jun 16, 2013

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

nockturne posted:

Cindy James. She was the subject of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. I'm sure I've seen it on YouTube but I can't find it now.

Well, people have pretended to be stalked before, including as a cover for murder - http://www.murderuk.com/one_off_graham_backhouse.html

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a wikipedia entry for this guy, but it's a good story. I remember seeing a TV documentary about this case in the late 80s that was probably one of the first things to get me interested in true crime. One of the creepiest details isn't mentioned on the website because it was actually part of the bullshit cover story - Backhouse claimed the victim announced to him: "I have a message from God", before pulling out his knife.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Dana_Satterfield

This case always got to me simply because my mother was the witness mentioned that was driving by and saw a man outside the premises.

Edit: My bad, they credit that to some Ken Smith guy, upon a second reading. Either way, my mother was a witness for this. She was driving by around the time right after he made a phone call, and saw him run from the liquor store (which was right in front of the salon, which was actually just a mobile home with a redecorated interior) across the street with what appeared to be a change of cothes in his hand.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Jun 16, 2013

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Zombie Raptor posted:

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Dana_Satterfield

This case always got to me simply because my mother was the witness mentioned that was driving by and saw a man outside the premises.

Edit: My bad, they credit that to some Ken Smith guy, upon a second reading. Either way, my mother was a witness for this. She was driving by around the time right after he made a phone call, and saw him run from the liquor store (which was right in front of the salon, which was actually just a mobile home with a redecorated interior) across the street with what appeared to be a change of cothes in his hand.

It's like they had the summer intern write that summary. Dreadfully bad.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Business of Ferrets posted:

It's like they had the summer intern write that summary. Dreadfully bad.

Yeah, it really is. I didn't see a lot of good links about the murder. It's been on a few shows and you can see more by Googling the victim's name.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nockturne posted:

There's more to the story that Unsolved Mysteries doesn't cover. She started talking about being stalked after her divorce and after her ex-husband started avoiding her and telling her to get on with her life. The "stalker" left threats for Cindy on the ex-husband's answering machine and I think mailed him stuff as well--which doesn't make any sense unless she was making it all up to get his attention. All of the previous attacks had no witnesses, and several happened inside of her home--she always claimed that she didn't have a clear memory of what happened. Most of them seem to have involved pantyhose being tied around her neck, which seems like a weird way for a male intruder to attack somebody. And although she always reported losing consciousness, she was never beaten or killed or raped before her death.

Still, the creepy part comes when you imagine that there really was a stalker who was very careful about making her look crazy by doing things that a lonely mentally ill person would do for attention. The voice on this tv segment is clearly Cindy trying to disguise her voice, but man I get the willies when I think about a case where somebody messing with her would impersonate her trying to sound like somebody else:

http://youtu.be/sbrAggQE2EA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?sbrAggQE2EA

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Tibor posted:

As much as I think making an 'oath' about this sort of thing is kind of bizarre, given the fact that child murders are all too common and there are some much more gruesome stories to get upset about, I've noticed that a lot of people have one story that affects them more than any of the others. It usually seems to be because you relate to the victim in one way or another, or you can't fathom how anybody could commit the crime that they did. Or maybe you were the right sort of age to take note of just how publicised the crime was. Whatever it is, some stories just stick with you. This is mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Joanna_Yeates

Edit: She was 25 years old and lived with her boyfriend. He was away for the weekend and she went for drinks with some friends after work. She walked home that evening, stopped at a local shop to buy some food for later and then just disappeared. When her boyfriend returned home a day or so later, he found her phone and purse, as well as the food, inside the flat, but Joanna was nowhere to be seen. They found her body on Christmas Day in a lane not far from the flat, half-buried in the snow. It turned out that her neighbour was responsible for her death. He'd gone into her flat for whatever reason, she panicked and he strangled her to death. And that was it.

I worked on the same street as the flat she lived in. My coworkers were convinced it was the landlord when he was first arrested, and kept saying how he was such an odd looking fellow, then when it turned out to be her neighbour they said how awful it was how the media vilified the media! :v:

If I recall, her neighbour had made a pass at her, she screamed and he 'panicked' and strangled her to shut her up. After the landlord was released I used to pass him when walking to the bus stop, guy would always look down and looked absolutely wrecked for months after being cleared.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kimba posted:

I think the thing that always bothered me the most was her motive. She wasn't some overwhelmed mom or seemingly all that mentally ill. She was just dating some dude who broke up with her cause she had kids...so she got them out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

There's more to the story that Unsolved Mysteries doesn't cover. She started talking about being stalked after her divorce and after her ex-husband started avoiding her and telling her to get on with her life. The "stalker" left threats for Cindy on the ex-husband's answering machine and I think mailed him stuff as well--which doesn't make any sense unless she was making it all up to get his attention. All of the previous attacks had no witnesses, and several happened inside of her home--she always claimed that she didn't have a clear memory of what happened. Most of them seem to have involved pantyhose being tied around her neck, which seems like a weird way for a male intruder to attack somebody. And although she always reported losing consciousness, she was never beaten or killed or raped before her death.

Still, the creepy part comes when you imagine that there really was a stalker who was very careful about making her look crazy by doing things that a lonely mentally ill person would do for attention. The voice on this tv segment is clearly Cindy trying to disguise her voice, but man I get the willies when I think about a case where somebody messing with her would impersonate her trying to sound like somebody else:

http://youtu.be/sbrAggQE2EA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?sbrAggQE2EA

Thanks for the video. Yeah, even though the cold case tries to play up the whole mysterious stalker aspect, you're still left with the taste of crazy in your mouth.

Also, just because it made me laugh: "she was never beaten or killed or raped before her death."

Edit: Oh yeah, the creepy voice is a lady.

into the void has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Jun 16, 2013

• Locked thread