Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those should say VS, not G. Why do you hate colour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

aliencowboy posted:

I do have a decent supply of it (and a hold on another four or five boxes until I get paid again), but I've never really had much luck with the way VS renders skin tones.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Yond Cassius posted:

I looked at my credit card statement yesterday and asked myself, "Self, what the hell were you thinking last week?"
Then the UPS man knocked and I remembered.
I think my exact words were, "I'll make more money. They won't make more Ektachrome."

Sup' last Ektachrome batch buddy. I'm already shooting mine and liking it.
But I have to admit that it seems a bit more finicky than Fuji's Provia, maybe I'm just spoiled.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

aliencowboy posted:

I always preferred the G over the VS, I think I slowly got tired of the typical high colour saturation of slide films in general and the G was an excellent compromise.

Which reminds me, I've still got about 7 or 8 rolls floating around expired in my fridge, I might as well get another pro-pack (of something fuji) and an e-6 kit and be done with it all.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

20130601-019-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130601-006-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
First negatives back from my RB67!!

000002 by Winston85, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia 50

Deer, Nara, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Three Deers, Nara, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Fuji GW690ii - Porta 400

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
I'm seeing your work here and on the film thread and just want to say that it's all amazing spedman. Do you expose for label speed or under/over ?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Thanks for the kind words, I try to expose at box speed when I can, but sometimes I'm limited by the shutter speed/aperture available on the camera (especially on the GW690ii, top shutter of 1/500, aperture f/3.5). Shooting Portra 400 gives me the range I need so I can shoot it at 160-800iso, not change the development times and still get the dynamic range and colour palate you expect from Portra.

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
I leave tomorrow for a week long tour with my friends band to the pacific northwest. I plan on shooting all of my film, and probably a couple of my girlfriends film too. muhahaha....

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

OjaiYoda posted:

I leave tomorrow for a week long tour with my friends band to the pacific northwest. I plan on shooting all of my film, and probably a couple of my girlfriends film too. muhahaha....

That's not nearly enough film.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

That's not nearly enough film.

Yup, on a recent trip I shot 26 rolls in 3 days. That also included 3 rolls of 220.
Plus another 5 rolls of 35mm. So, yeah... more film is always good. Nothing sucks more than to run out and then.. regret!

That's what happened on my last trip, so this last trip I took a shitload of various film. Also be sure to have film for cloudy days, bright days and indoors as well.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Also be sure to have film for cloudy days, bright days and indoors as well.

So just take Portra 400.

I must admit, it takes me FAR longer than 3 days to go through 26 rolls of film even on holiday. I shot 20 rolls over about 3 weeks (all 6x9 120) and didn't feel like I had to be conservative with film.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I find Velvia looks like trash on bright days but it brings out some very nice colours in foliage in overcast conditions.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread:

I'm jerry-rigging (will post pictures of my steel cilinder + silver tape guetto setup) a 6x6 lenses on my 35mm yashica. It's an 80mm 2.8 Zeiss from the Pentacon Six. My question is, what's going to be equivalent focal distance? I know that 80mm on 6x6 is roughly equivalent to 50mm on 35mm, but have no idea on how to do the math backwards. I'm guessing around 110mm?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You don't convert it. An 80mm is an 80mm, you're just taking a smaller crop out of the image circle. It will have the exact same FOV as any other 80mm lens.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
That's actually quite logical. Thanks!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
My first roll of Velvia 50 through the Yashica Mat. Not bad for the film living in the camera for the past year, going through 2 moves.

88320008 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

88320007 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You don't convert it. An 80mm is an 80mm, you're just taking a smaller crop out of the image circle. It will have the exact same FOV as any other 80mm lens.

Field of view varies based on format, focal length/compression remains the same.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

aliencowboy posted:

Field of view varies based on format, focal length/compression remains the same.

The idea is that it doesn’t matter that it’s a 6×6 lens. It’s the same as any other 80 mm lens, e.g. one that was made for 35 mm.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The idea is that it doesn’t matter that it’s a 6×6 lens. It’s the same as any other 80 mm lens, e.g. one that was made for 35 mm.

But the flange focal distance is probably significantly longer, and the image circle larger than a lens made for 35mm, so you might be able to mount it on bellows and tilt and shift it around.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

aliencowboy posted:

Actually compression varies based on distance, not focal length. The field of view will change from 6x6 to 35mm (normal to long) but the field of view will be the same as any other 80mm lens that covers 35mm.

nielsm posted:

But the flange focal distance is probably significantly longer, and the image circle larger than a lens made for 35mm, so you might be able to mount it on bellows and tilt and shift it around.

The film-to-flange distance will be the same as any 80mm lens unless they're designed as telephotos (some are). The bigger problem is coming up with some kind of a tilt-shift bellows.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually compression varies based on distance, not focal length.

Really? I stand corrected then.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Talk me out of buying a GW690II for $300. :ohdear:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Well
No interchangeable back for magazines of different films.

It uses a viewfinder so you never get a true TTL image.

You're stuck with one lens: the 90mm at f3.5 and a 1/500 shutter speed.

Allegedly it's pretty naff to use the viewfinder in dark environments.

I kinda want one too though. You never see them up for sale in New Zealand but I've been windowshopping medium format forever and can't decide on how to jump into it haha.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Buy the gently caress out of that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Buy the poo poo out of it, and then put the rest of the garbage you call your MF gear on eBay :colbert:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

You came to the wrong place. Buy it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

What? 300? Buy it now.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

aliencowboy posted:

I'll go a bit against the grain here and I'll say that due to the rangefinder nature and the very large format (it's basically an LF lens on a MF camera) it is, for me, not as easy to compose with this camera than other medium format shooters, where you have nice ground glass to look at. I guess it's a learning process, and at 8 images per roll of 120, a bit more expensive (read painful) than usual.
If you do get it right though, the negatives and slides looks utterly stunning, as they very well should.

Ninja edit: Also what's with that shutter sound Fuji? *Ping*? Seriously?!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Ninja edit: Also what's with that shutter sound Fuji? *Ping*? Seriously?!

I believe that's the shutter counter.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know the lens cap size for the Mamiya Sekor C 80mm 1.9? I just acquired one since I want some super BOKEHHEHE and I didn't realize it didn't come with a cap.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 25, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
67mm

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I have a Mamiya 7ii with the 43mm lens and a big Hasselblad kit in the for sale thread. Someone here should buy them because they are awesome.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

This man is correct. I'm pretty sure I sold him my Mamiya 80mm F/1.9.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A friend of mine and I set up his 5x7 on a street corner last year to take some pictures of strangers. Still scanning those, but here are the setup/test selfies we made.

Jason by thetzar, on Flickr

Alec by thetzar, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been going out of my mind waiting to shoot some 120 film, but I finally got my Kowa's 85mm back from being serviced and shot a test roll with some expired Portra 160. I'm passing on the GW690 for now to save up for a large format outfit instead. Spedman's 6x9 Yosemite photos are making me drool though.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 27, 2013

• Locked thread