Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

1st AD posted:

The 5Dmk2 does NOT have better video than the 6D. Though everything else about it is a lot better, especially the construction and how it feels in your hand. The 6D also has built-in wireless control, even though it was flaky as hell to use (with the Android app at least).

D600 would be my bet (I own one of these) and the dynamic range is pretty insane. Plus you get 2 high speed SD card slots.

I've been eyeballing a switch to Nikon ever since the first D600 rumors surfaced, but I chickened out on dropping 1.6 kilo bucks on a body and having to start over on everything else.

So I bought a 5Dmk1 heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

1st AD posted:

The 5Dmk2 does NOT have better video than the 6D. Though everything else about it is a lot better, especially the construction and how it feels in your hand. The 6D also has built-in wireless control, even though it was flaky as hell to use (with the Android app at least).

D600 would be my bet (I own one of these) and the dynamic range is pretty insane. Plus you get 2 high speed SD card slots.

The sensor in the 5d2 is pretty inferior compared to the 6D's sensor.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kaninrail posted:

The sensor in the 5d2 is pretty inferior compared to the 6D's sensor.

Well yeah, canon made it. What do you expect.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I guess this discussion is what I want to hear. I LOVE my 40D in may ways .. pretty much all but IQ and ISO performance (for the most part).

The fit is perfect for my hand, the materials feel good as does the heft. The controls .. oh my the controls I do like them (never really use the joystick much, so that isn't a big thing), a friend recently bought a T2i and I just can't imagine not having the wheel on the back.

Is the 6D the best route to go, or is the 5Dmkii going to deliver better? I know the sensor in the 6D is super good at high ISO ..

pls send help

Edit : Also Nikon just isn't going to happen. I have enough lenses and friends using Canon that I realllly don't want to switch. I'm sure Nikon makes awesome stuff, I just ain't made of megabucks (in the sense that I have to rebuild my lens collection).

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 18, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
How is the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 HD fisheye lens? It's on sale for 225 USD. I've never used fish eye before. It is gimmicky or useful? I tend to shoot more landscapes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: There's EOS 3D rumors going around yet again, because some idiot supposedly wore a camera strap saying 3D. Which made me think, are there any informations about Canon doing anything in the direction of SLT and/or mirrorless DSLR-sized cameras? Because I tried the Sony A99 and the EVF is :coal:

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is the 6D the best route to go, or is the 5Dmkii going to deliver better? I know the sensor in the 6D is super good at high ISO ..
6D has better AF, better sensor. Drawbacks are one card slot only, slightly slower sync speed, slower burst rate, 1/4000th minimum shutter. Whether the drawbacks apply depends on what you shoot.

It's smaller and lighter (dimensions are roughly the same as the 60D), if you care about that. GPS is built-in, but a power hog. Wifi is also built-in, interesting for remote shooting via your smartphone or your laptop with EOS Utility. You can access the camera storage via DLNA over Wifi, but works only for JPEGs.

Go with the 6D, unless you're really strapped for cash or for some reason need to shoot with flash at very high shutter speed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 18, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: There's EOS 3D rumors going around yet again, because some idiot supposedly wore a camera strap saying 3D. Which made me think, are there any informations about Canon doing anything in the direction of SLT and/or mirrorless DSLR-sized cameras? Because I tried the Sony A99 and the EVF is :coal:

6D has better AF, better sensor. Drawbacks are one card slot only, slightly slower sync speed, slower burst rate, 1/4000th minimum shutter. Whether the drawbacks apply depends on what you shoot.

It's smaller and lighter (dimensions are roughly the same as the 60D), if you care about that. GPS is built-in, but a power hog. Wifi is also built-in, interesting for remote shooting via your smartphone or your laptop with EOS Utility. You can access the camera storage via DLNA over Wifi, but works only for JPEGs.

Go with the 6D, unless you're really strapped for cash or for some reason need to shoot with flash at very high shutter speed.

The 6D it is then.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: There's EOS 3D rumors going around yet again, because some idiot supposedly wore a camera strap saying 3D.

I know if I was secretly testing a new product in public, the first thing I would do is produce a neck strap with the model number emblazoned across it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon generally goes out of their way to disguise lenses and bodies that are being tested so as not to attract attention. There's no way they gave someone a camera to test with a "EOS 3D" strap.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The WiFi with the 6D, in the previous pages, has been mentioned to kill networks and was terrible software.

If you're sharing or on another network, something to keep in mind:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416522122
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416523938

edit: Reading these two posts, it sounds like the "listener" for the 6D transfer is causing a DDoS of sorts. But I can't confirm without testing it myself.

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 19, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah I'm pretty shocked at how buggy it is. The GoPro WiFi is waaaaay more stable and won't gently caress over your network.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

geeves posted:

The WiFi with the 6D, in the previous pages, has been mentioned to kill networks and was terrible software.

If you're sharing or on another network, something to keep in mind:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416522122
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416523938

edit: Reading these two posts, it sounds like the "listener" for the 6D transfer is causing a DDoS of sorts. But I can't confirm without testing it myself.

This is only if you use the Canon proprietary software. Connecting it to my network, my computer then sees it as if it was plugged into USB and I can offload files as normal, albeit a little slowly. The software is a piece of poo poo, but the wifi remains perfectly functional.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

GoldenNugget posted:

How is the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 HD fisheye lens? It's on sale for 225 USD. I've never used fish eye before. It is gimmicky or useful? I tend to shoot more landscapes.

Do you have a full frame or a crop sensor?

If you have a full frame, DO NOT buy the older Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 8mm fisheye with the non-removable hood. The hood is designed for crop bodied cameras, and it obscures the circular vignette on a full frame. People were modifying them by removing the hood with a Dremel tool, so Samyang put out a new version with a detachable hood. I've got one and I love it on my 6D, but it's really only good for certain kinds of shots.

A lot of retailers are trying to unload the old fixed-hood designs, so it's something to be wary of. As far as I know, the old ones had a gold band, and the new ones have a red band.

Here are 2 shots I took with it at an outdoor concert last week:

I've also used it in some timelapse stuff
(see 1:00 and 1:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6LkVmj8qYM
(entire thing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWZAIs1HJE

It's a great lens, and a lot of fun for certain kinds of shots (like whole sky shots, dog's noses for a distorted perspective, etc), but really not too useful. I've seen some people discuss ways to correct the distortion on the lens, but I personally think they're missing the point of a fisheye. The ridiculous perspective is part of the reason why you would use one.

I may keep it because it's so cheap, but it's definitely the lens I use the least.

Edit: need learn English

Inf fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 19, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geeves posted:

Japanese manufacturer can't code its way out of a wet paperbag? SURELY YOU JEST

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Japanese manufacturer can't code its way out of a wet paperbag? SURELY YOU JEST

haha it's so true. Even Japanese software companies have difficulty producing functional software.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

This is only if you use the Canon proprietary software. Connecting it to my network, my computer then sees it as if it was plugged into USB and I can offload files as normal, albeit a little slowly. The software is a piece of poo poo, but the wifi remains perfectly functional.

Thanks!

Added to the OP

geeves fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 19, 2013

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

geeves posted:

Maybe this is also why the WiFi destroys your battery life, whereas something like an iPhone has no problem. Constantly flooding the network with "HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!! HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!! HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!!" etc

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Inf posted:

Maybe this is also why the WiFi destroys your battery life, whereas something like an iPhone has no problem. Constantly flooding the network with "HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!! HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!! HAY GUYS I'M HERE LET'S TRANSFER SOME PICS!!!" etc

It's a party!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Inf posted:

It's the software on the computer causing the problem - it destroyed my network while wifi was disabled on the camera

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

haha it's so true. Even Japanese software companies have difficulty producing functional software.

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:

I could probably count the number of organizations that consistently produce quality software on one hand. And even the ones I could name have had crippling bugs on a few occasions.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:

I could probably count the number of organizations that consistently produce quality software on one hand. And even the ones I could name have had crippling bugs on a few occasions.

Yeah, I wouldn't attribute that back to Canon. They however, are using a terrible protocol (UPNP) to help lazy people just make things work. So, they can be slapped on the wrist as well.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Sorry that you felt the need to add the skin color comment, but what I am referring to is the well known phenomenon of Japan, and Asia in general, being behind the west in the software and security industries.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn dude, you should rewind a little bit and read what you're typing.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Both 35mm lenses you mention are really good. The Sigma in particular really sticks it to the 35mm L but if you don't absolutely need autofocus then saving some $$ going with the Samyang won't disappoint either.

As much as I love the feel of the Rokiyang, I think I'd regret not having autofocus at that focal length since it would be replacing my walkaround lens (17-40L). Once I sell the 17-40 my lens kit, other than weird or adapted stuff I never use, will be:
  • TS-E 17/4L
  • TS-E 24/3.5LII
  • EF 50/1.4
  • EF 85/1.8
Looking at it that way, it almost makes me wonder if I should also get rid of the 50, buy a 35, then also get something like the 100/2.8L IS Macro. I rarely ever shoot anything longer than 85, but it would be nice to have the option.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

As much as I love the feel of the Rokiyang, I think I'd regret not having autofocus at that focal length since it would be replacing my walkaround lens (17-40L). Once I sell the 17-40 my lens kit, other than weird or adapted stuff I never use, will be:
  • TS-E 17/4L
  • TS-E 24/3.5LII
  • EF 50/1.4
  • EF 85/1.8
Looking at it that way, it almost makes me wonder if I should also get rid of the 50, buy a 35, then also get something like the 100/2.8L IS Macro. I rarely ever shoot anything longer than 85, but it would be nice to have the option.

gently caress autofocus, buy a Takumar 35/3.5, the king of 35s.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

This is almost as good as the racist against black people HP facial recognition software

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mr. Despair posted:

gently caress autofocus, buy a Takumar 35/3.5, the king of 35s.

Maybe I'm just an ignorant noob, but 3.5 doesn't seem particularly fast and isn't that the whole point of primes?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Maybe I'm just an ignorant noob, but 3.5 doesn't seem particularly fast and isn't that the whole point of primes?

It's hella sharp and magical and perfect.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Another point of primes, which happens to be the most important to me, is that primes are less complicated and easier to make free of distortions, aberrations, and maximize sharpness.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

Another point of primes, which happens to be the most important to me, is that primes are less complicated and easier to make free of distortions, aberrations, and maximize sharpness.

This is like the description of the 35/3.5.

:allears:

e. But seriously it's one of the sharpest 35mm's you can buy, can be found for very cheap (under 100 bucks), and the m42 version adapts to canon very easily, even on FF. If you aren't planning on shooting at 35mm a lot, or if you're not worried about needing to shoot at f/1.4, it's an amazing deal for the quality. The same exact lens design is used in the 75/4.5 medium format lens for the pentax 6x7 system, and for good reason!

e2. someone trade their 5d for my p67 setup already so I can use my 35/3.5 more often, tia.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 19, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

e. But seriously it's one of the sharpest 35mm's you can buy, can be found for very cheap (under 100 bucks), and the m42 version adapts to canon very easily, even on FF. If you aren't planning on shooting at 35mm a lot, or if you're not worried about needing to shoot at f/1.4, it's an amazing deal for the quality. The same exact lens design is used in the 75/4.5 medium format lens for the pentax 6x7 system, and for good reason!

It's around $60 on KEH so I might as well try it out. Do you have any thoughts on replacing the Canon 50/1.4 with the SMC Takumar 50/1.4? That could be a nice way to ditch the questionable build quality of the Canon while getting some cash back.

Edit: $60 for the non-SMC. $90 for the SMC. Still gonna grab it.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

It's around $60 on KEH so I might as well try it out. Do you have any thoughts on replacing the Canon 50/1.4 with the SMC Takumar 50/1.4? That could be a nice way to ditch the questionable build quality of the Canon while getting some cash back.

Edit: $60 for the non-SMC. $90 for the SMC. Still gonna grab it.

I'm not sure it's as sharp as the newer canon, but I've dropped my k mount 50/1.4 (pretty sure it's the same glass) several times (even onto concrete!) and it still works perfectly. Probably has more CA issues than the newer canon lens though.

My 50 and 35 are both multicoated though (and the 75/4.5) so I dunno how big of a difference that makes compared to the non-smc ones.

:getin:

wish my phones camera had a not lovely lens though

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm not sure it's as sharp as the newer canon, but I've dropped my k mount 50/1.4 (pretty sure it's the same glass) several times (even onto concrete!) and it still works perfectly. Probably has more CA issues than the newer canon lens though.

My 50 and 35 are both multicoated though (and the 75/4.5) so I dunno how big of a difference that makes compared to the non-smc ones.

:getin:

wish my phones camera had a not lovely lens though

I'd rather spend more than deal with CA issues.

Well now you've sent me down a rabbit hole. Looking at Contax Zeiss options, then remembering wanting to convert an FD 35/2.8 TS to EF mount, then thinking about finding a 35 or 40mm medium format lens and getting a shift adapter, then thinking about just getting the 1.4x teleconverter for my TS-E 24...

Anyways, when looking for shift adapters for canon I found this diamond of a thread on Model Mayhem where some dude insists that everyone is wrong and that there's no reason you can't make a $5 shift adapter for canon lenses on canon bodies. People keep trying to explain it to him and offer other options but he just can't comprehend.

quote:

I need a shift adapter for a 5D Canon that won't break the bank. Does anyone know who makes one? I want to use some of my other lenses with a shift adapter to take some catalog shots. I know I may loose AF but if anyone knows of one, please let me know!
TS back elements are 3-4 times smaller then normal lenses. The normal lenses are bigger... if that is the case why can they make an adapter for a Mamiya and not a canon? Or the other companies make them for $2000 with a belows?
This is for converting Mamiya lenses to Canon... I need canon to canon.
I mean these things are soooooooooo cheap to make. You can sell them for $100 and have people use their regular "L" series lenses instead of buying a TS lens from canon which run around $1,000. Here is a freaking business starter for someone! I need it bad.
you don't even need wiring! Make it like an Extention tube! You don't even need any optics! All canon's TS are manual anyway. And if you make it please give me some commision for coming up with the idea. pretty pretty pretty please
Need CANON to CANON
Not true. I have a TS 24 lense. Which works great for my 1.6x sensors, but when I go full frame it distorts the heck out of it. The back of the TS lense is way smaller then a normal back of a canon lense. It is smaller for that reason for the shift.
So why do lense baby's work? And take a look at the TS already. They work perfect. And they are pulled away from the sensor just like an extention tube. what I'm saying is perfect sense!
Does anyone have experience with TS lenses here?
Look they have them already, so I know they work... But they use bellows lenses and rails and crap like that. But the average cost of those types of mechinisms are upwards of $2,000. That's rediculous. If someone were to make one like the picture above, you can sell it for $100. or $200.

The lack of comprehension just keeps going and going - http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=372572

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

I think between 35mm and 6x7 I own like 5 copies of this lens (3 k-mount, S-M-C-T M42, SMC-T 6x7) . Seriously it's one of my all-time favorite lenses.

Mr. Despair posted:

The K-series 50/1.4 is the same as the SMC Takumar 50/1.4. The -M variant is very slightly different.

Super coating is still pretty great, it's usually single coating but they were also experimenting with early versions of SMC as they went so some of the later ones have 3- or 5-layer coatings instead of the full 7 in SMC. Single coating gets you most of the transmission percentage gains. However, some of the Super lenses are reputed to be less sharp than the SMC versions, your mileage may vary.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 20, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the CA is there, at least it's worse than say, my olyumpus 12-50 with it's fancy ED coatings and stuff.

Could be worse though. This I *think* was the 50/1.4 wide open, you can see the touch of CA in the flare on the can.

P4231027.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This was the 35/3.5 wide open, showing off how well it handles flare even with the sun literally on the edge of the frame.

PIXELPEEPTEST by MrDespair, on Flickr

I wish I had more examples with these lenses, but 70mm and 100mm on a m43 body just aren't something I shoot a whole lot, unless I'm stitching stuff together.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think between 35mm and 6x7 I own like 5 copies of this lens (3 k-mount, S-M-C-T M42, SMC-T 6x7) . Seriously it's one of my all-time favorite lenses.

The K-series 50/1.4 is the same as the SMC Takumar 50/1.4. The -M variant is very slightly different.

Super coating is still pretty great, it's usually single coating but they were also experimenting with early versions of SMC as they went so some of the later ones have 3- or 5-layer coatings instead of the full 7 in SMC. Single coating gets you like However, some of the Super lenses are reputed to be less sharp than the SMC versions, your mileage may vary.

The one I have is the SMC-M version.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

There's also a Leica/Schneider PA-CURTAGON-R 35mm F4 that shifts but I can't really find anything in the way of reviews.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

There's also a Leica/Schneider PA-CURTAGON-R 35mm F4 that shifts but I can't really find anything in the way of reviews.

Should work fine unless the lens goes far enough into the body to hit the mirror. I haven't heard of issues like that with nikon on canon though (it can be an issue with k mount lenses though, the aperture lever tends to hit the mirror if you don't take it out or bend it).

e. a quick googling says that the rear element on that lens doesn't jut back past the mount, so it should be a-ok.

e2. K-Rock says you should use a 4x5 view camera instead though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

woot fatigue posted:

I've mounted plenty of Nikon lenses on my 10D and 5D2 without issue. I can also say that I once owned the PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 and it worked great on my 5D2 with an adapter... but it's no 24mm TS-E. pseudonordic has my former PC-Nikkor now and I'm pretty sure he does stitched panoramas with it, so you should ask him how he likes it for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

^Which version was your PC-Nikkor? Silver knob or black knob?

Yep, I think I'm going to go with the newer, black-knob version of the PC-Nikkor 35/2.8. It's got 11mm of shift and goes to f32 for under $400.