Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

I like that the classic space logo is worn, but the wear is all wrong. There shouldn't be any gold left at all, and the red might be gone, too, leaving just white.

Yeah, not seeing the movie now because of this failure. Clearly lego fans are not making the movie. :colbert:

The stop motion style looks pretty drat good, I was afraid they'd go for more of a lego video game style animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone here work for A Lego store? I'm wondering if you have any tips about applying?

I would suggest making pants out of Lego to wear for an interview. They couldn't not be impressed.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

FadingChord posted:

I can already see that we're going to get some good sets out of this. If it turns out to be a good movie, even better.

Every single build looks fantastic, and there are some advanced techniques (upside-down studs on the little glider, lovely greeblies on the "Batwing"). Great attention to detail: no cheating in sight!

I love how Chris Pratt is a classic smiley sans sclera.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I made a new friend. He's the manager of a Lego store. We're going out Saturday. :3:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

cstine posted:

There is no :catstare: big enough for this.

(This can't possibly be good.)

Watch Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs then come back.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I really like the sort of stop motion style they're using.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was really worried it would be crappy lego CGI. But having it look like real-life Lego stop motion (even if it is clever cgi) then awesome.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yep, I love that the figures have mold lines and scratches and are dusty, and I love that it doesn't look 100% smooth and natural. I was worried it would basically look like the video game cut scenes, which are some of the blandest poo poo ever.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I was at the theater the other day, and after seeing the poster, I would love for LEGO to pick up a Pacific Rim license.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Dr. Benway posted:

I was at the theater the other day, and after seeing the poster, I would love for LEGO to pick up a Pacific Rim license.

When Lego actually makes large stompy robots that aren't RoboRiders (:rolleyes:), my finances will suffer immeasurably.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
The Lego Movie is definitely going to be my next must-see after Pacific Rim. Anyway, have I mentioned that I love ULUG? We drafted 4 UCS B-Wings on Saturday:

That's only a small hint of what sorting almost 6,000 pieces looks like. Thanks to one set being given to the LUG for free from Lego, and the other 3 being bought on sale, the price per piece was about five cents. I didn't get everything I could have wanted, but I did get all the light grey tracks (144!) and all the cockpits amongst other useful bits. If you guys want I can get a pic of my haul, but I already traded two of the cockpit pieces for other stuff I wanted.

Oh yeah, and ULUG is gonna be at the first Salt Lake City Comic Con in September, which is exciting since I'll have probably every single thing I've made since 2007 in a show!

In light of that, the fact that my right knee probably has a meniscus tear is really lovely, since it makes Lego time almost impossible :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tanith posted:

When Lego actually makes large stompy robots that aren't RoboRiders (:rolleyes:), my finances will suffer immeasurably.

Good news everyone!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just found a video about BrickWorld Chicago posted a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbbM-HnZTY

Just wait until you get to 9:30.

Minifig scale Serenity ship. :stare:

Edit: Holy drat, just got to 24 minutes in.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 19, 2013

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
gently caress.

e: oh my god the fingers are minifig legs.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Good news everyone!

Ha ha, that was one of my favorite sets.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just found a video about BrickWorld Chicago posted a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbbM-HnZTY

Just wait until you get to 9:30.

Minifig scale Serenity ship. :stare:

Edit: Holy drat, just got to 24 minutes in.

2 minutes in and I already want to kill these guys, they are horrible.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I guess I missed it because I was in high school. Too old to get Lego sets for my birthday, too young to have enough disposable income to support a Lego habit. The other set from that era I kick myself for never getting was Typhoon v. T. Rex.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mattfl posted:

I had the sound off and was just skipping around to look at the pretty builds. v:shobon:v

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

Though I do like how they do a bit of an eyeroll and speed up the walk whenever they hit another star wars collection.

Funny how I thought I had managed to see everything at the show and watching the video I'm spotting stuff I missed.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

xzzy posted:

Though I do like how they do a bit of an eyeroll and speed up the walk whenever they hit another star wars collection.

Funny how I thought I had managed to see everything at the show and watching the video I'm spotting stuff I missed.

It helps to go with someone. My wife and I went and both spotted stuff the other one missed. For example, one or two of the huge city builds had a subway running underneath it. There were a few sections of table with clear plexiglass underneath and you would periodically see a subway train zoom by. I walked right past it, but she saw it and pulled me back to it... and away from the massive MTron table.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went with my wife, but was browsing too slow for her, so she eventually went off and wandered on her own.

I burned a good 30 minutes just watching the great ball contraption. :haw:

Only reason I left is because the crowd was pretty self absorbed, got tired of being bumped and pushed out of the way.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Was looking through old sets (nostalgia!) and I realized that I have a set, Cloud City, that seems to be selling for quite some money on bricklink. I have basically no use for it, so I thought I'd try to sell it. It's only missing a couple pieces (a couple grill pieces and a plant stem). I also have most of the minifigs, including Boba Fett, only missing Han, Leia, and Lando, unfortunately. I also still have the box and instructions. Does anyone have an idea as to what a fair list price would be for this? It seems to go for way more than I expected it would, and I'm not sure why. Minifigs?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Was looking through old sets (nostalgia!) and I realized that I have a set, Cloud City, that seems to be selling for quite some money on bricklink. I have basically no use for it, so I thought I'd try to sell it. It's only missing a couple pieces (a couple grill pieces and a plant stem). I also have most of the minifigs, including Boba Fett, only missing Han, Leia, and Lando, unfortunately. I also still have the box and instructions. Does anyone have an idea as to what a fair list price would be for this? It seems to go for way more than I expected it would, and I'm not sure why. Minifigs?

Yeah minifigs. That Lando is the holy grail of Star Wars minifigs. Also the Leia is unique (if not very good) and Boba had unique arm printing. Why the set itself is worth a lot, I have no idea. Limited run maybe? It's the only Bespin set they did (which they need to rectify). Cash in, I say.

(and send me the Boba arms)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Minifigs are always a big part of older set price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah minifigs. That Lando is the holy grail of Star Wars minifigs. Also the Leia is unique (if not very good) and Boba had unique arm printing. Why the set itself is worth a lot, I have no idea. Limited run maybe? It's the only Bespin set they did (which they need to rectify). Cash in, I say.
It was online only and $100 and 10 years old at this point. And higher-end playsets have always seemed a bit odd to me... I'm not sure who they are targeted at. Rich parents?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

smackfu posted:

It was online only and $100 and 10 years old at this point. And higher-end playsets have always seemed a bit odd to me... I'm not sure who they are targeted at. Rich parents?

Rich parents or, I guess, those with lots of kids who can get one big set to be shared rather than six small ones that the kids would fight over anyway because one of them is clearly better than the others

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Rich parents or, I guess, those with lots of kids who can get one big set to be shared rather than six small ones that the kids would fight over anyway because one of them is clearly better than the others

Pfft kids shouldn't worry about sets, they should just be presented with an enormous tub of bricks and told to have fun.

Preferably with a large table in the basement and a bunch of space/street plates with which they can build the best lego city ever.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone here work for A Lego store? I'm wondering if you have any tips about applying?

I worked at a Lego store for a year and a half. Shoot me an email, my username @ gmail.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I just saw the new Coast Guard sets, on Lego's page they show a sea plane with a fishing boat. I could not find on their shop page and my target didn't even have a space for it on the shelf. Is it an exclusive to a certain store or maybe Lego stores only?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

If you're that close, your best bet is to go ahead and finish out the set and then sell it complete. You'll take a bath since it's not 100% complete even though you have the box and instructions.

Lando is going to cost you about $100, Han is $10, and Leia is going to be around $50. The grills and plant stems won't cost more than a couple of dollars, maybe $5 total once you've paid shipping. For $170, you've taken a kit from being worth maybe $200-300 to being worth $800 or more, depending on the condition of your bricks, minifigs, instructions, and box.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

youareoffthehook posted:

I worked at a Lego store for a year and a half. Shoot me an email, my username @ gmail.

Oh, hell. I just remembered you have my pip-boy!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

einTier posted:

If you're that close, your best bet is to go ahead and finish out the set and then sell it complete. You'll take a bath since it's not 100% complete even though you have the box and instructions.

Lando is going to cost you about $100, Han is $10, and Leia is going to be around $50. The grills and plant stems won't cost more than a couple of dollars, maybe $5 total once you've paid shipping. For $170, you've taken a kit from being worth maybe $200-300 to being worth $800 or more, depending on the condition of your bricks, minifigs, instructions, and box.

Thanks for the input, also to the other people that responded as well. From a cursory price check, it seems you're about right, with the complete set going for $700-$800, and being able to get Lando, Han, Leia and the pieces for around $150-$175. I'll do that. This whole thing seems odd to me, though, as I've only become interested in Legos again after a long time off (now that I have some disposable income). Seems odd to me that people buy minifigs for such large sums of money, like the special Boba Fett, but I'm not judging.

The only other expensive old thing (I think) that I have is the UCS Y-Wing but that one's mine :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news about minifig obsession is that if you find second hand sets missing their minifigs.. you can get a lot of great bricks for relatively cheap.

I don't see the point to it myself, you can't build anything out of minifigs. They just get set up in a display and sit there until you decide to sell them on bricklink.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Thanks for the input, also to the other people that responded as well. From a cursory price check, it seems you're about right, with the complete set going for $700-$800, and being able to get Lando, Han, Leia and the pieces for around $150-$175. I'll do that. This whole thing seems odd to me, though, as I've only become interested in Legos again after a long time off (now that I have some disposable income). Seems odd to me that people buy minifigs for such large sums of money, like the special Boba Fett, but I'm not judging.

The only other expensive old thing (I think) that I have is the UCS Y-Wing but that one's mine :colbert:

It seems to be like anything else, people want stuff they couldn't afford back when it was new and they were younger. Or, they had it and lost it through the ravages of time.

LEGO is funny with valuation and such, for a few reasons. One, LEGO group apparently prices well, because the stuff is almost never worth less than MSRP, and even then, it's only slightly less. Two, you can always attempt to "bricklink" a set that you want but cannot afford -- this means buying the individual pieces from Bricklink and assembling the set as if it was new. This can be lucrative, as it's impossible to tell if you built the set from parts or if it was original and you lost the instructions and box. In some ways, it doesn't matter. However, what this means is that any unique pieces are suddenly going to be worth a lot of money. Usually, it's minifigs that bear the brunt of this inflation, because LEGO enjoys updating even the recurring characters and if you want your Cloud City to be authentic, then you need that particular Boba Fett, and not this much cheaper variant.

Those two things tend to feed off of each other. Because the only way to get that Boba Fett figure to complete your Cloud City is to convince someone else to part out their expensive Cloud City, the price goes up. Because the price has gone up on the unique pieces, it makes the complete set worth more. Because it's worth more, now the figure is in even more demand as people try to complete their incomplete sets. Rinse, repeat.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

einTier posted:

However, what this means is that any unique pieces are suddenly going to be worth a lot of money. Usually, it's minifigs that bear the brunt of this inflation, because LEGO enjoys updating even the recurring characters and if you want your Cloud City to be authentic, then you need that particular Boba Fett, and not this much cheaper variant.

Oh drat, I'm pretty sure I had the expensive one in a lot I sold a month ago :cry:

Edit: Guess it's time to start learning Star Wars sets rather than just bulk-selling whatever I get.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

DrChud posted:

I just saw the new Coast Guard sets, on Lego's page they show a sea plane with a fishing boat. I could not find on their shop page and my target didn't even have a space for it on the shelf. Is it an exclusive to a certain store or maybe Lego stores only?

I don't think it's an exclusive, because in our store we stock it with the rest of the Coast Guard sets in the City theme, rather than in the Exclusives section.

But I'm not sure which set you mean, as I don't think there's a sea plane in any of the current CG sets. Could you dig up the picture for us? I googled Coast Guard sea planes, and the top result was a poly bag I haven't seen before. Is that what you're talking about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Think he's talking about this:

http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/coast-guard/60015/

Clicking on the shopping cart yields a 404 so I guess it's not for sale yet?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

xzzy posted:

Ah yeah. I haven't seen that in our store yet, so I'd have to agree.

E: It's currently available in the UK, according to brickset.com

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

Oh drat, I'm pretty sure I had the expensive one in a lot I sold a month ago :cry:

Edit: Guess it's time to start learning Star Wars sets rather than just bulk-selling whatever I get.

Minifigs you have to be careful with. Most aren't worth much, but the ones that are worth a lot can get really pricey. If I see one that's very unique or is of an iconic character, I do a little research before selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yeah that's the set, I wanted to get that one because the chopper just isn't doing it for me.